A possible new moderator.

On that note, I don't recall if Icy had any help in CC (except for J-Max and I think Yankee if memory serves me correctly) when I was still here in 2011.

Like to remind you that I was gone during the era of Black/Koko; yes, those two could handle things on their own, but things are different now.

In terms of improvements in CC, there are some things that I had in mind when I applied for the mod position; some of them have already been dealt with, and others are still WIP. The main goal is to increase the quality of content made in CC; which has been done, but perhaps not as much as we'd all hoped. 

I would really just like to say that one of the main reasons Black and Lily were able to handle things during their time was because they were strict and they enforced the strictness. The rules since their era have gotten more lax, which isn't necessarily bad mind you, but it does mean that the rules that remain have to be enforced even more.

The problem with the set of mods we have, in my opinion, is both the time being put into the section and the way the section is being enforced. 

I don't blame anyone for having things outside of YCM that keep them busy, that's entirely understandable, but at the same time, we need the coverage in CC. It seems like the enforcement of the rules is more lax and in my eyes, it's because the moderators we have can't spend as much time in the section as needed. I remember when Black was modding, whenever I was talking to him, he was also going through mod reports, patrolling the section, and commenting as much as he could. And this was during a time where Lily was unable to get on due to not having a constant computer. I'm not saying the section only needs one mod, I'm saying it needs active ones who care.

If there's only one active one, they'll eventually get sour and resent the position like Black did near the end. Right now, the section doesn't seem to have a really consistently active one, and only getting one moderator for CC doesn't strike me as a good idea. I'll admit that I didn't read through the entire thread, but the jist I got was that there were only plans for one more CC moderator at this time, along with Ain for RP/Fanfic and MAYBE some overall general Moderators, was that right?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many of you know, Zextra is inactive due to academia (and .Saber recently resigned), so I'm usually the only CC mod around to keep tabs on the entire area.

Granted, I am doing my best to enforce things (including the AC breaks, which to my memory, were one of the rules broken most often), but note that I can't always be reading every thread for rule breaks.

I do not want to turn CC into a dictatorship in which the slightest rule break is warned immediately, but I certainly do not want the quality in the section to slip. Would help immensely if members (especially the newer ones and some vets) check the rules before posting, but also if the Report button gets used. If you don't report it, then Zex or I probably won't see it. (I read all reports when I come on, mind you)

Like Zex, I have college work to attend to as well, so the extra help is greatly appreciated in keeping CC in order.

I sincerely care about the section and want to get it to improve, but there are limits to what I am capable of doing, given lack of metagame knowledge and whatnot (I'm trying my best to get up to speed with things though, so it can be run better). 

If the enforcement needs to be stricter, then so be it; there was an earlier comment about how things were run (by a somewhat-new member), but it was explained by several members why things are how they are. Admittedly, other sections have been dealt with, but main focus should be RC.

We'd like to give off the impression that CC is open to all members, but not the impression that all we care about is making stuff that doesn't turn broken with Konami support and things to play in the metagame. 

--

As for the entire thread, the original intent was to announce Ain's candidacy for the 3rd CC mod slot vacated by .Saber/Striker (along with some other potential candidates), yes.

But then Aix had their name up for filling in for him while he does other things and had Zai's name as a backup, should Ain take over CC. 

To be honest, Zai/Ain are fine as substitute RP/Fanfic mods while Aix is out; for that matter, Ain can handle both RPs and CC when they get promoted later (if that's what I got out of Night's comment). 

At this point, I think two new CC mods will be needed; but a fourth candidate doesn't really come to mind at the moment, aside from whoever was mentioned. 

We'll see how Ain does in the short term and then look into finding a 4th mod for cc depending on results.

I'd also like to promote a general-purpose mod within the month assuming we can find someone who's a good fit.

Sounds like a good idea. I would recommend getting another one for CC even with Ain, but hey, doesn't hurt anything to wait.

Like I noted earlier, Zex and I have discussed the possibility of a 4th CC mod to accompany Ain; based on whether or not CC proves difficult for the three of us to manage at that point.

Would be good if we had 4 though; that way, we'd at least have 1 section mod to deal with business in there, while rest of us are busy with other things.

Although no real candidates come to mind outside of the already mentioned.

At this point, Ain has been promoted; should include them in that group PM we had back in July (or probably better to make a new one for mod discussions between myself, Zex and them.

Assuming nobody has any objections, I could step in again if need the need arises. Granted it is too soon to think about that still considering we are just two months off from the drama of my modship, but that option may be a last resort if nobody has any objections. And no, I'm not betting on this happening tbh considering what happened.

In the worst case scenario, we could think about reinstating you.

That is, of course, after a few months to let that episode die out (hopefully).

You will need to be active in CC outside of 1v1s if by chance, you're brought up again. I don't foresee it happening either, but you are still in mind if we absolutely need it.

I mentioned this earlier, but this was one of the reasons J-Max voted no to keep you in (with consideration that you dabble mostly in 1v1s and not really in the other areas).

Probably will be some objections, yes, but again this thread is here so you at least have some say on potential mod candidates, should there be any.

Come to think of it, now that Ain's been promoted + should be taking over Fanfic/RP command now; think this thread's original purpose is more or less dealt with. 

Though I suppose keeping this open for a potential 4th CC mod or a general all-around one as Night mentioned would do some good.

Suppose some of the other mods can take charge of the other sections that are either empty or vacated.

(I think Roxas goes in Anime&Manga quite a bit and can sub for Yin for right now, but if the need arises, I can keep an eye on stuff in there.)

In the worst case scenario, we could think about reinstating you.
That is, of course, after a few months to let that episode die out (hopefully).

You will need to be active in CC outside of 1v1s if by chance, you're brought up again. I don't foresee it happening either, but you are still in mind if we absolutely need it.
I mentioned this earlier, but this was one of the reasons J-Max voted no to keep you in (with consideration that you dabble mostly in 1v1s and not really in the other areas).

Probably will be some objections, yes, but again this thread is here so you at least have some say on potential mod candidates, should there be any.

Come to think of it, now that Ain's been promoted + should be taking over Fanfic/RP command now; think this thread's original purpose is more or less dealt with. 
Though I suppose keeping this open for a potential 4th CC mod or a general all-around one as Night mentioned would do some good.

Suppose some of the other mods can take charge of the other sections that are either empty or vacated.
(I think Roxas goes in Anime&Manga quite a bit and can sub for Yin for right now, but if the need arises, I can keep an eye on stuff in there.)

I completely understand. TBH, I felt like I had to watch what I did because of the backlash from my promotion. Guess my carefulness didn't help at all. XD

And yea, I have a few tricks up my sleeve that I'm going to start planning for in the meantime (*coughcardcontestscough*). I'm not expecting or asking for another chance, but keeping it in mind should be okay. *shrugs* For now, I'm okay with where I stand though I am willing to help.

I know Ain said they'd like to keep an eye on Other TCG in addition to whatever their load is now. 

When this was mentioned to evilfusion, he basically said whichever mods want to watch the area are free to do it, considering he doesn't go there at all.

As for Anime & Manga (@Roxas), guess you have things under control for the most part.

Should that be noted in the staff change announcement also, even if you weren't officially assigned to it [as far as I know]?

Right now, Questions & Help, this section, Music, Literature (well, Aix is in charge of it, but he's away) and Music [I think that's everything] don't have assigned mods looking after stuff. But they're more or less dealt with by rest of us.

I think no one will have objections to it, considering Yin's already given her approval and you've more/less been helping her out in there even when she still had control over the area.

(Already noted in announcement; I think you can add yourself as that section's moderator now by your own accord in ACP)

Probably safe to note Flame Dragon/Ain's eye on the Other TCG area as well, though they weren't assigned them, per sé.

(For a new mod, Ain's responsible for keeping track of 2-3 separate areas).

Archived