[Leaderboard] Nai vs Noel (Vote Now!)

Maeriberii Haan

Using Zazi's template copy/pasted from Giga's, because I am Lazy!

Voting:
-Votes must be with valid reasoning, going "Card A
wins" won't do, follow the Leaderboard rules!
-Voting is based on the functions they have in the
game, meaning that you should talk about the effect,
stats etc.
-Good votes gets a rep from me, opponent's rep is optional.
-Both I and the opponent had the right to decline your vote based on your comment or ask for further reasoning if either contestant feels that it's not adequate.
-Both contestants can disagree with the others
acceptance of the vote if they feel that the answer
was no adequate.

Rules and Rewards:
-All YCM and 1v1 Leaderboard rules apply.
-First to 3 votes or whoever has most votes when the contest ends wins.
-Winner gets a rep from the opponent, other rewards are optional.
-Written cards are allowed.

Entry Requirements:

Make a generic Level 6 Synchro with an Attribute and Type that never existed as a Synchro Monster before (e.g. WATER Pyro, WIND Reptile)

[spoiler=Card A]

mYMzjiT.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it. When this card you control is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to the Graveyard: Special Summon it from the Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Guardian of the South - Suzaku" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Card B]

Blazing Moth of the Eternal Glory

Level 6 Insect/Synchro/Effect Fire 2000/200

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-tuner monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned, it gains 200 ATK for each set Spell/Trap cards you control. When this card is targeted by am opponent's card effect, you can return it to the Extra Deck; Special Summon 1 of the monster that was used to Synchro Summon this card. Until your next Standby Phase, it gains 200 ATK for each set Spell/Trap cards on the field and is not affected by the effect of your opponent's cards if it's the only monster you control.

[/spoiler]

Entries are due 2 days after the challenger is accepted. Votes are due 3 days after it's open.

2 FIRE monsters that get Rekindling support. What a coincidence.

Card A:

I think It took things too far. Reviving on any kind of destruction and popping a S/T each time it does feels like it is too much. If the opponent doesn't get any non-destructive remover, its only choice is to destroy this card twice during the same turn to elimitate the threat, and say farewell to up to 2 of its Spell/Traps remaining on the field. In other words, it forces the opponent to spend several of its resources, and it is too good for a generic Synchro 6 in my opinion.

Card B:

On the other hand, this one looks underwhelming. It is a mere beater that needs 3 S/Ts just to tie in ATK with Gaia Knight, who sets the ATK threshold for Synchro 6s (yes, Goyo has a higher ATK, but even if TCG allows it at 1, it is too strong and it wouldn't be fair to take it as reference). Then it has that floating effect that recovers a Synchro Material and gives it a tempary ATK boost and effect immunity, but it won't protect it from battle and also it is only active when you control no other monsters, which makes it situational.

It was somewhat of a difficult choice but I will vote for Card C on this one. Really, Card A was so close to being awesome; if only it didn't revive on both kinds of destruction, or if the S/T pop was an on-Synchro Summon effect instead of Special Summon.

Card A: I speak from quasi-experience about this card because something very similar was the main boss of one of my more popular archetypes to the point where it even has the same Type/Attribute combination. It was better than this in that it could hit any card (and had 200 more ATK and could banish Synchros to kill itself, but whatever), but this was better than that in that this is generic, revives itself immediately as opposed to my boss reviving at the end of the turn, is free where mine had a discard cost, and can revive itself multiple times over the course of the Duel. My boss was Level 8 and I still saw myself constantly going into it, but in retrospect I may have done that instead of making a different Synchro out of bias towards my own work. This being Level 6 and having a much better self-revival effect when compared to what I made... makes Card A look a little too good for what it does.

Card B: A beater that protects itself usually tends to have only little more use than a beater without protection. Good beaters tend not to actually happen, and imo the best one out there by far is Leo since its protection effect is really potent and so is its ATK. Needing three Set Spells/Traps to tie with Gaia can be achievable, but now those Spells you've been holding in your hand are now more susceptible to being blown up (this doesn't matter much if your opponent tries to pick them off with MST, but Exciton and other nukes become more likely to completely screw you over). At 22, this is just too weak. At 24, this is... ok. If you somehow could get four Set backrow cards and could still make this, then you're probably leading in advantage, which leans towards being winmoar. But on the bright side, having 2600-2800 ATK practically ensures your opponent will have to use an effect to get rid of it, and most of these still do target. Now, onto its protection. I really shouldn't call this protection since you're going to end up losing this card anyway; Voltex calling it a floater would definitely be more accurate than me calling the effect protection. You still lose this for something that you end up modulating into a weaker version of, well, this card. You're definitely not going to have your revived material have more ATK than this card would, so running it over by battle would be easy. Really, all you're doing is giving your opponent a slight speedbump, which while is better than getting nothing, is still not really enough to be the main thing this card does and it still be good.

So yeah, what Voltex said. Card A is too stronk, card B is lackluster and kinda winmoar. Card C.

It's like we can't even create FIRE monsters with DEF that isn't 200 anymore.

Card A

Decent stats for a generic LV6 Synchro (apparently the par has slipped to 2300 ATK when the Synchro era was ending), and when it shows up, it gets a free destruction to even off its investment. Following which, it gets an instant free revival each turn when it's destroyed, taking another S/T with it, and pushing it towards floaty advantage.

So not only does one have to destroy it twice, but each time it happens it just swings the net advantage even further. 1-for-1 destruction effects turn into overall -2s when breaking it the first time - even causing it to whiff is still a -1. This would make one compare this card to Wind-Up Zenmaines or Gachi-Gachi Gantetsu, which are annoying walls that absorb 3 destruction attempts. The thing making this card stand out from them lies in its instant advantage whenever it's Special Summoned, and each time it does so. Zenmaines blows stuff up, too, but it has to last till the End Phase to do so, and regardless of how many destruction attempts it's absorbed this turn it can only destroy 1 card at a time. Card A isn't this forgiving, having no time delays in the revival or advantage.

Card B

FIRE Insects are neat. However, this card isn't as impressive.

It can theoretically boost itself to 3000 ATK, but getting there also means that you'd have to overextend with your backrow. The general expectation would be somewhere between 2200 to 2600 for the average 1-3 S/Ts you have Set, and if you're pulling this out with an empty backrow, you must be really desperate.

So what's it do once it's hit the field? To be honest... not much. It beats face, and dodges targeting by running back to the Extra Deck and pulling out a Synchro Material monster. (From where, though? You need to specify these little details.) For doing so, the monster gets a couple lingering effects stapled on - a temporary boost per Set S/T on the field and immunity to the opponent's card effects while it's the only monster you control - but they only last till your next Standby before they wear off, after which you'd expected to try Synchro Summon the moth again to avoid getting beaten back.

The little issue here is the staying power of what it spits back out. Immunity to card effects is cool, albeit with a tricky condition, but the general idea of Synchro Summons involves putting multiple little monsters to create a bigger, stronger monster whose sum is usually larger than its parts. If you're swapping a Synchro Monster for 1 of its Material, chances are the Material itself is a fair bit weaker than the Synchro Monster, even with a slight boost. At which point, the player might be asking themselves, "Why would I want to do that?" and "Why am I even running this card?"

The Verdict

A is too strong with the card disadvantage it forces the opponent into in general situations. B doesn't do enough to justify using it overall. Card C gets the vote.

Back to the drawing board.

Archived