[Sakura] Mecha Phantom Beast Valkyrimo

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Mecha Phantom Beast Valkyrimo
Level 5 / WIND / Machine / Synchro

1 "Mecha Phantom Beast" Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
 When this card is Synchro Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Level 3/WIND/Machine-Type/ATK 0/DEF 0). Other "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters you control cannot be targeted for attacks. If this card you control is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard: You can target up to 2 cards in your opponent's Graveyard; banish those targets.

2400/1100

Based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_XB-70_Valkyrie

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hlog/hlog28.htm

Name is derived from the XB-70 Valkyrie (retired US stealth bomber, NOT after the mythological race from Norse mythology like someone thought it was) and the moʻo (A dragon deity from Hawaiian mythology, to put it bluntly). See the second link for details.

The idea is to make this with O-lion plus a Token, and provide protection against swarming (especially against any MPB Tokens that you have out).

More or less designed as a sort of counter against Bujins, given their main ace (Susanowo) is capable of attacking everything [and grave support doesn't really make things easier for getting rid of bosses]; was testing MPBs against them the other night. For clarity, it essentially serves as a sort of buffer between you and other MPBS (and tokens). Yes, you'd rather make Dracossack or higher Level/Rank Extra Deck, but it gives more options for them; since there will be times that you cannot go into said monsters.

Can't design countermeasures against every one of this Deck's checks (and there are a few), but this was meant to deal with one of them.

--

So basically got a tie against JamesMuddy [technically, if late vote counted; otherwise my victory 2-1] in the latest 1v1 (though, to be perfectly fair, first voter misunderstood the naming reason (which I should've made clear earlier, but I DID offer him the chance to reconsider after explaining; which he did not)].

Also as a sidenote, it was said this card didn't have anything to do with Tokens (which the other Synchros use), so I let it SS one when it's Synchro Summoned.

So yeah, CnC please.

Reps will be given to those who give proper feedback.

I really liked this one when I first saw it and now that its own use is explained, I still dig it. I always knew MPB struggle with the Bujin fight, and this fixes that. You tell them "Here's a wall, you attack this, your Grave loss, but you can still freely attack it". Keeping in mind how in any deck involving as much level modulation as MPB that you will have some awkward moments, this could also help with that if O-Lion is ever so conveniently on the field. I actually think this would also help against Shaddolls, as it gives the player one more turn to setup against the Construct if they still need time to establish their Draccosac play. The extra token when summoned seems random, but depending on the field I suppose it makes things.... easier, especially when you are really trying to setup against a big threat like the aforementioned Construct. Overall, a decent utility that gives an old deck even a little more of a standing chance.

Yeah, Valkyrimo's meant to deal with Bujins to some degree; especially since the Bujingi are problematic while in the Graveyard and Susanowo can multiple attack.

It has 2400 ATK so it can hold it off for a while; not factoring in boosts from Honest / Tenkis / Crane, etc.

But as noted, this is intended to be made with O-lion and a Token; not necessarily a MPB one. I know from Aix that Scapegoat is a mandatory @3 card for them; because of easy Tokens. (That being said, only Warbluran [in conjunction with the L4 MPBs or MPB Token + Scape]+ O-lion can go into this; as Blue Impala requires other MPBs and there aren't any Level 1-2s).

Token effect was added for flavor reasons (since Extra Deck ones usually involve Tokens; it needs one here). Think Progenitor mentioned this, and he knows the Deck quite well.

I suppose this could be changed to a Level 6-7 Synchro (and probably replace Concoruda for an L7 drop), so it's easier to summon (considering what they do); though I'd need to raise its stats a bit. Think 2400-2600 ATK [if raised to 7] and maybe 1800-1900 DEF should do; if I decide to raise its Level. (TBH, considering this thing is already semi-specific, 2500 ATK on a Level 6 shouldn't hurt; after all, Inzektron has 2500/1800 stats and is generic)

Yeah, Valkyrimo's meant to deal with Bujins to some degree; especially since the Bujingi are problematic while in the Graveyard and Susanowo can multiple attack.

It has 2400 ATK so it can hold it off for a while; not factoring in boosts from Honest / Tenkis / Crane, etc.

But as noted, this is intended to be made with O-lion and a Token; not necessarily a MPB one. I know from Aix that Scapegoat is a mandatory @3 card for them; because of easy Tokens. (That being said, only Warbluran [in conjunction with the L4 MPBs or MPB Token + Scape]+ O-lion can go into this; as Blue Impala requires other MPBs and there aren't any Level 1-2s).

Token effect was added for flavor reasons (since Extra Deck ones usually involve Tokens; it needs one here). Think Progenitor mentioned this, and he knows the Deck quite well.

I suppose this could be changed to a Level 6-7 Synchro (and probably replace Concoruda for an L7 drop), so it's easier to summon (considering what they do); though I'd need to raise its stats a bit. Think 2400-2600 ATK [if raised to 7] and maybe 1800-1900 DEF should do; if I decide to raise its Level. (TBH, considering this thing is already semi-specific, 2500 ATK on a Level 6 shouldn't hurt; after all, Inzektron has 2500/1800 stats and is generic)

Well since Bujins lose to having too much removal, you could factor that in. Making 2 of these quickly and going to an Xyz could be a thing depending on the situation. Applying this logic:

Level 5 means Tiras, Adreus and Volc, the latter which you could just force everything to go off.

Level 6 leads to Photon Strike Bounzer, which seems like it would be decent against Bujins. On top of that is Gauntlet Launcher, M7, and Utopia Beyond assuming that's even relevant.

Level 7....... You already know.

No matter what you pick, you have some form of win, you just gotta pick your condition. Stats wise, you probably are correct. Sometimes just making a specific tuner is enough to raise its stats. Heck, look at Fabled Unicore. 2300 ATK for Level 4 and has an effect so powerful there are decks centered around it, BUT it requires a Fabled Tuner, which saves it. While I don't suggest a Spell Speed 4 negation effect, you could do a same example with a lower level power house that's specific enough that you are good to go on making the stats higher and all.

Looking at the card, it's probably fine as is for the time being; but bumping this to Level 6 is still an option.

Granted, the O-lion + MPB token won't work anymore (well, except having a Scapegoat token or something to fill in deficit).

At the least, Blue Impala will be able to make it if Valkyrimo does boost to L6. Ideally, I'll leave the stats at 2500/2600 ATK and 1100-1800 DEF; should this happen. I should think it through a bit (or do some more testing).

On that note, Cosmic Horror Gol'gar boasts 2600/1800 stats for an L5, but requires an Alien Tuner [last time I checked, they only have 1 option for it in Ammonite]; Goyo's 28/20 at L6 + generic (but you know why it was banned when it did).

As already mentioned, MPBs have a lot of checks to deal with. It's impossible to block all of them in a single card, but at least this one deals with one of the major threats. (I could probably reverse the effects; have it banish cards upon summoning and spawn more Tokens when it dies).

If I could get Duel Portal, perhaps I could playtest the idea.

Looking at the card, it's probably fine as is for the time being; but bumping this to Level 6 is still an option.

Granted, the O-lion + MPB token won't work anymore (well, except having a Scapegoat token or something to fill in deficit).

At the least, Blue Impala will be able to make it if Valkyrimo does boost to L6. Ideally, I'll leave the stats at 2500/2600 ATK and 1100-1800 DEF; should this happen. I should think it through a bit (or do some more testing).

On that note, Cosmic Horror Gol'gar boasts 2600/1800 stats for an L5, but requires an Alien Tuner [last time I checked, they only have 1 option for it in Ammonite]; Goyo's 28/20 at L6 + generic (but you know why it was banned when it did).

As already mentioned, MPBs have a lot of checks to deal with. It's impossible to block all of them in a single card, but at least this one deals with one of the major threats. (I could probably reverse the effects; have it banish cards upon summoning and spawn more Tokens when it dies).

If I could get Duel Portal, perhaps I could playtest the idea.

Probably the best idea. If only Duel Portal was 100% working......

I use Linux, so the Silverlight plugin I need to run DP doesn't work. (Alternate one doesn't work either, which sucks like hell)

Or that matter, DevPro for custom cards doesn't work on my machine either; it's another option. (I have a Windows, could try playing it on there; should work)

Otherwise, I suppose I can use proxies on DN for testing; that's also an option.

Back to the card itself, hopefully Konami releases more stuff to help them deal with the other threats out there; but otherwise we could always do it ourselves.

I use Linux, so the Silverlight plugin I need to run DP doesn't work. (Alternate one doesn't work either, which sucks like hell)

Or that matter, DevPro for custom cards doesn't work on my machine either; it's another option. (I have a Windows, could try playing it on there; should work)

Otherwise, I suppose I can use proxies on DN for testing; that's also an option.

Back to the card itself, hopefully Konami releases more stuff to help them deal with the other threats out there; but otherwise we could always do it ourselves.

If you really want to playtest it and you have some way to use YGOPro (It has the same engine as DevPro, but also has an AI mode so you can actually test custom cards) I could code this for you.  It's a pretty basic effect so it shouldn't take longer than a day or two depending on how busy I am.

I'll think about it when I can get it working.

Any comments related to how the card's designed though?

You can just reiterate what you said in the match thread if you need to.

It is a big improvement.  I probably would maybe throw 1 in just in case, as its usefulness is still pretty niiche.  As for the level, I'm not really sure which is best.  Playtesting would probably be necessary to find the most useful stats for this card.

Making it a Level 6 would increase its options of being summoned; even if not as easily as the O-lion + MPB token combo.

But yeah, testing should be done to figure out what Level suits it best.

If L6, Blue Impala would also be able to make it with a Token [or whatever other L3 monsters you can get out from the hand/field/whatever].

Otherwise, this can go to L7 and become a suitable replacement for Concoruda (thinking of getting 1 for hopeful MPB deck IRL, but during testing on DN, didn't really prove useful).

Archived