[Sakura] Artifact Tonbogiri

Flash Flyer - Sakura

yYJMfSt.jpg

You can Set this card from your hand to your Spell & Trap Card Zone as a Spell Card. During your opponent's turn, when this Set card in the Spell & Trap Card Zone is destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Special Summon it. When this card is Special Summoned during your opponent's turn: Target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; its ATK/DEF are halved, also negate its effects until the End Phase.

Based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonbogiri

For clarification reasons, the ATK/DEF cut is supposed to be permanent (given the flavor of the weapon this is based on); the BTS effect lasts until the End Phase. Originally decided to keep negation permanent, but that would be pushing it.

(Then again, unless you use this on a boss monster; whatever you target with this will either get used for Xyz/Synchro, w/e)

Artwork was done in GIMP; ask if you want it.

Anyway, CnC, fix OCG, etc.

Reps will be given to proper reviews.

I like it (being a big fan of Artifacts myself - just really hard to find pictures for them).

Anyway the card is pretty sold. The only downfall/complain I really have I see no problem with the ATK/DEF loose being permanent maybe even the effect part.

To me there's plenty of ways around stuff like that nowadays anyway, and well if not, that's kind of what Artifacts are supposed to do, right? Since most of them are on the weaker side ATK wise.

I think it would definitely bring new life to Artifact decks/engine and give people a choice instead of  MORALLTACH, MORALLTACH, MORALLTACH.

In all seriousness, this actually wouldn't see much play at all. I'd much rather Moralltach. This card doesn't really address immediate issues and doesn't actually do anything in its own deck. 

Moralltach generates advantage

Beagall unclogs your backrow

Aegis/Achilleshield protects your monsters

Caduceus regenerates your resources

Failnaught recovers various artifacts you have used

Scythe cockblocks your opponent for a turn

Lancea covers obvious weaknesses

Chakram protects your backrow

Labrys is just a beater and maintains pressure.

This? This does nothing worthwhile. All it does is impose a minor inconvenience that Breakthrough Skill would do better. On top of that, that minor inconvenience won't even do anything relevant half the time, because the effects of what it would hit would have most likely already gone off by the time it can activate (IE: All the Satellars, Tour Guide, etc.). On top of this, its stats are weaker than Moralltach (2100/1100 is lower than 2100/1400), and Moralltach would just get rid of the threat instead of just weaken it.

I kind of thought some of those points you brought up too, which is why I think the effect should be permanently loss. It would kind of be like having 6 Moralltach in a deck that way (imo).

But having said that you are right about it "missing timing" on being about to stop some important effects.

I can just update the stats to 2300/1400 or something, so it can more or less serve as a beater if it needs to.

As for effect negation, if permanent ones make it see play, then the End Phase requirement can get stripped. Or I can just have it negate your opponent's effects for the rest of the turn, should it get popped (if that does anything to mess up Tour Guide or whatever relevant threats this doesn't block; probably won't).

Another idea would be to apply the stat halving + effect negation to whatever monsters get summoned that turn, but again I doubt it'll work.

(Now that I have YGOPro / Duel Portal, I can probably test it out to see what needs to be fixed; probably the latter since coding is a pain in neck.)

Idea was for this card to strip your opponent's monsters of attacking power, so the other Artifacts can kill them; but unless you hit the bosses or something, it really doesn't do much.

As Slinky mentioned, BTS outclasses it right now; given you can negate from grave, whereas this can't [and Moralltach just kills the threat off, and isn't limited to monsters].

I'll have to think about what would be a better effect, so this flows better and isn't sorely outclassed by other things.

Thanks to both of you for CnC.

The stat-halving effect was supposed to reflect the myth behind said weapon; effect negation is just bonus on it.

Although as Dyson mentioned, more needs to be done so if this ever gets released, it can support the Deck and not get shafted in favor of the other options (especially since Moralltach outclasses this badly)

Archived