New General Mod.

Night

It's no secret that LZ has been less than active for the past few months, seeing as though General is his section, we (staff) have agreed that instating a new moderator specifically for General is in the sites best interest. 

Decided that it would be best for this thread to be published here rather than in News because nothing is set in stone as of yet, as I mentioned prior in the CC mod discussion thread as much as I value the addition of new moderators, I also want there to be no apprehension if and when a member does actually get promoted. Furthermore, general discussion from both members and staff before any decision is made is something that's both productive and something that we've been pushing for more of. 

If you feel like you're capable of managing General and think you'd be a good fit for staff, state your case. Be concise whilst also being able to present multiple reasons as to why you should be promoted.

This last point should be obvious but I'll go ahead and say it anyway, this isn't a fucking popularity contest, that shit doesn't work anymore. You either genuinely have something to bring to the table or you don't, it's quite simple. For that reason nominations won't be taken into consideration, you are however allowed to vouch for someone who's already volunteered themselves. In addition, outright bashing or "flaming" someone who's volunteered is not allowed, constructive opinions and debate however is allowed within reason.    

Feel free to ask any questions if need be. 

While I don't have much to say RIGHT this instant I would like to just say this is a great idea.

And what I personally would look for, would be someone who doesn't get into arguments much, or at least keeps a level head. Especially in this section don't want someone as mod who will be biased.

So far we've had plenty of topics go to shit because no one is being told not to let it happen.

But right at this moment not sure who I'd nominate. I for a brief time thought I might throw my name in, but I do not have a level-head sometimes and can't add much beyond basic duties, if that.

And what I personally would look for, would be someone who doesn't get into arguments much, or at least keeps a level head. Especially in this section don't want someone as mod who will be biased.

Agreed, I'd actually say it's an essential trait to have in this case. 

I would like to shoe-in myself as a moderator for general.

I'm an older member of the site, as many of us are, and I've seen it change throughout the few years that I've been here.  I've seen places be active, die off, things like that.  One thing that I've always felt like doing is help the website, in whatever way I can, but I've always been really nervous to put my foot forwards and help out.  I'd really like to take this opportunity to get the confidence I need to do just that.

General is an interesting place.  It's where most, if not all serious discussion happens on the site.  If s*** goes down, it's in general, exemplified by some of our more recent threads.  Arguments are rather common around these parts, and while they can be healthy (remember we once had a debate section), for the most part, they're not.  Thanks to the lack of management in the area, and the lack of an active moderator perusing the section, these things are usually left to fester with no one to tell people to settle down.

Now me, honestly?  My opinions are most definitely not neutral, and sometimes I know I can be a bit of a hot head, but I do know where to draw the line, and I do know that everyone is entitled to think their own way.  Current events are also something I'm keenly on top of, so pretty much nothing in the mix that pops up in this section surprises me.  Also, I'm active - which is a great bonus, given that activity and appearance can tend to be sparse among moderators.

Again, I'd love to put forth my name into the mix, as I know I would bring something to the table for general.  I love you guys.

I don't know how much my opinion really counts for, but I'm all for giving Kate a shot at this and support her. Like she said, she might be a bit hotheaded at times, but she knows when to draw the line. I would post more but it's like, almost 4 AM for me and my brain isn't functioning at full capacity right now. ^^''

I'm giving this a shot too.

I think General is really one of the few places where YCM gets serious, and serious discussion usually needs moderation to keep things civil. I haven't been here for long (Unless you count two years as long), but I feel pretty confident about moderating this place. I want this place to promote fun, healthy discussion where members won't get flamed, and actually YCM is doing quite well at that. It just needs somebody at the helm to maintain that and make sure shit never went down in the first place.

I plan to do that by making General section rules (which I actually did), making the law enforcement clear (I.E actually listing the list of punishable offenses and the punishments) , and issuing more verbal warnings and stepping in threads that's getting hot before all hell breaks loose. Generally policing the area to make sure nobody's being rude to each other.

Also I have some ideas I want to try out here in general to promote activity. such as the No Rules Thursdays and Free Ban Fridays i have planned.

I think one of the issues with general right now is that topics around it tend to be either preventive (discussion is sparse or controversial, topics are not very wide/well-known) or downright offensive to some people.  While you could argue that some people may need to suck it up when viewing some of the more controversial topics in general, in reality, some of the replies to those topics can truly and honestly hurt someone, which can be taken to other parts of the forum, which can be made into more YCM "drama", which can go into yadayadayada.  You get the point.

I'm more than capable of picking up on things like that - insults are nothing to be taken lightly, especially in this day and age, where people are as touchy as ever.  I think the new moderator of the section should be really good on picking things out that could be used to hurt another member, and hand out appropriate warns or bans based on that.  It takes a very long time on YCM for someone misbehaving to be punished accordingly, from what I have seen.  I've been here for a good deal of YCM drama, and I can tell you that most if not all of it is so preventive that it hurts seeing it around the status bar. 

I wouldn't let things like yesterday happen, as well as other things - homophobics and transphobic comments, directed insults, racism, and even some sexism... and that's not just directed at general, that's directed at the whole forum.  New, extensive (though nonrestrictive) rules should be made, as general hasn't done too well without them.  I'd be more than glad to write those rules up as the new general mod.  I've been around long enough to know what works.

[spoiler=Toyo's rough draft of General rules]
1. All YCM rules apply.
2. The General subsection is used to talk about any topic that can potentially create meaningful discussion. Topics from today’s news to meta topics like “What would happen if you eat yourself?” are allowed. Joke topics are to be posted in Miscelleanous.
3. Keep it civil. Refrain from being rude, insulting/flaming members when arguments get hot.
4. Remember you’re talking to a human being, don’t be careless with your words.
5. If the thread has degenerated into meaningless spam, report it so the mods can move it to Miscelleanous.
6. Or if the thread has degenerated into a flame war, report it as well. Mods will arrive with the lockhammer as soon as possible.
7. When posting news, please make sure it is 100% legit (not a hoax) and came from a trustworthy source. For that reason, please link the article you read in the thread itself. News topics with no source will be locked.
8. Also concerning news topics, please read the article before commenting.
9. 1 word replies, joke/troll replies and posting irrelevant meme pictures are not allowed, unless it is followed by something that is relevant to the topic at hand.
[/spoiler]
It needs a lot of work, but it's there. Also I have some things I'd like to say, but it's late and I'm tired, so I'll do that tomorrow morning.

I agree with the last part (not the white text, baka) of what Goose said and what Cowcow said regarding impartialness.

Here are some things I thought of that might help start discussion here:

I think that, when we do get a new mod, we assign a current mod to help them out with general; a temporary aid to help them get started. Whether this is for asking when they should lock a thread, throwing ideas at them, or just having them overlook things, this sounded like a good idea to me.

Not to be overly picky, but also having a mod that would be active when others might not be would be nice- I keep having cases of no mods being online.

We need a set of guidelines that can always be adhered to- I don't want a mod that has mood swings and locks a topic on their judgement alone. Judgement is ok, but we need a strict set of principles that can be referred to when locking a thread. 

Some ideas for rules:
1. OPINIONS ARE OPINIONS

2. PEOPLE CAN HAVE OPINIONS

3. YOU CAN'T INSULT PEOPLE FOR THEIR OPINIONS

…ok, I'm being silly, but you catch the gist. Something along these lines.

4. Feel free to civilly try to change their minds, however.

5. Threads are to be locked when further responses would just incite conflict. (This is judgment on the mod's part, and I think this kind of judgement might be fine).

Verbal warnings are to be given at least once, before a thread is locked, imo.

Flaming=You are automatically given warning points and are banned from participating in the thread again (as in, if you are seen posting again, you will be warned further more).

I don't think one person should be allowed to f*** up the topic for everyone, hence this rule.

The above would require the mod to also regulate whether that person posts in that thread again. I disagree on that idea, anyway, because sometimes people cross a line in the heat of a debate or discussion, and a firm warning, verbal or points, usually reins them in. Banning them from that topic is a bit extreme.

The above would require the mod to also regulate whether that person posts in that thread again. I disagree on that idea, anyway, because sometimes people cross a line in the heat of a debate or discussion, and a firm warning, verbal or points, usually reins them in. Banning them from that topic is a bit extreme.

Fair enough.

I did think of that as I threw the post together.

Maybe they get one more chance, in that case.

Night already knows this, but I figured I'd just throw my name in the hat. Toyo and Kate already said the stuff about how General is the 'serious discussion' area of the site these days, so I won't sound like a broken record and repeat all that.

But I feel like I could be a good mod. I get along with pretty much everybody, and I can look at situations objectively and call them how I see them. While I DO enjoy a good debate every once in a while, and I'm not infallible to getting into an argument (see latest locked General thread), I try to keep personal issues out of those things. Another note, if I were to be a mod, I would be far more vigilant when it comes to personally staying out of it. I also think I'm pretty good at solving conflict between two members/people, which I've had to do IRL multiple times.

While I wouldn't be afraid to dish out warns, and if necessary, bans, as they are needed, I also wouldn't change. I'm a very approachable person as is, or at least I like to think so, and I think that quality is important in a moderator.

And while current events may not be my strongest point, that can definitely be changed.

Also, while I definitely have interest in a modship, I also fully support both Kate and Toyo in this, as I know them both and see absolutely no reason why they shouldn't get the position.

I'd like to nominate myself as well.

Everyone else has already brought up how general is where most serious discussion goes on, so there's no point in bringing that up here.

As for why I think I'd make a good mod, there's a few reasons. First off, I've been a member here for a very long time (going on 6 years in fact), and I'd like to say I'm pretty familiar with how things are run here.

Second, I'm level-headed. As far as I can remember, I don't think I've made any enemies, or instigated and drama/arguments (recent or otherwise) during my time on the site. As well, (as some of the people who know me here might tell you), I'm an excellent mediator, which is something that General certainly needs from time to time. Generally speaking I'm pretty impartial and easy to deal with, is what I'm getting at.

Lastly, (and I'm really not sure how much bearing this actually has on any decisions the mod team makes regarding this), Aix previously nominated me for RP moderator in the event that Nai was unable to take the position, so I've already been considered for modship once, for whatever its worth.

As for whatever plans I have for the section should I become a mod, a more defined set of rules for the section is certainly in order (as others above me have said and outlined), especially in regards to the code of conduct when serious topics are brought up. As well, I have a few ideas I might want to try out in general to see if we can drive up contribution to/activity on the site. For instance, actual structured debates since I've seen that some members (myself included, occasionally) rather enjoy debating about current issues, though the discussion can and often does become muddled and confrontational the way we have it set up now.

I'm also not shy about distributing warns and bans when necessary, though it's my opinion that most warnable offenses can be prevented with a little mediation and a proper place for civilized discussion.

General is being run fine right now so it shouldn't be hard to not f*** it up.  I think we should be looking for someone with ideas and plans to make it more than a "News' section.

This is a genuinely valid point. 

I've already stated this multiple times in the past, anyone can lock threads and issue warns, however that's not what makes a good moderator. 

As Night already mentioned, what we're looking for is a person who can keep their cool while dealing with situations inside the section, while also executing the usual moderator duties and trying to improve the section. Being on good terms with rest of the community is also helpful, as members will be more likely to obey any orders/rules you give + come off as approachable.

You might have an opposing viewpoint to what's been stated in a thread, but it's in your best interest to handle things as a neutral party and not allow your own ideals to hamper your ability to rationally settle things. Especially since General is a place where ideals can clash, a good mod should be able to keep the peace + make sure members don't throw a tantrum when their opinions are challenged.

Kate brings up a good point though, and more or less gave the longer definition of what I noted above. I've no problems with her becoming General moderator either.

As Night already mentioned, what we're looking for is a person who can keep their cool while dealing with situations inside the section, while also executing the usual moderator duties and trying to improve the section. Being on good terms with rest of the community is also helpful, as members will be more likely to obey any orders/rules you give + come off as approachable.

I do fit in this criteria. I usually have a very neutral viewpoint on the stuff discussed, I can easily execute the usual moderator duties, I've always loved YCM so I'd strive to look for improvements and I like to believe I'm in good terms with pretty much anyone in the site. But given my history I don't think I have a chance.

I wouldn't mind taking the position though. I also have enough time on my hands to be active.

Some things for the applicants to answer. Would make it easier for us to make a decision.

1. Define at what point you believe it would be necessary to step in, and detail how you would deal with it.

2. Do you think you will be active and attentive enough to step in when necessary and before things get out of hand?

3. Any ideas on what you would do to improve the section?

Some things for the applicants to answer. Would make it easier for us to make a decision.

1. Define at what point you believe it would be necessary to step in, and detail how you would deal with it.

2. Do you think you will be active and attentive enough to step in when necessary and before things get out of hand?

3. Any ideas on what you would do to improve the section?

1. Probably the clincher of the three questions.  A strong presence in the section, which is now actively moderated and pruned for rulebreaking, is a preemptive form of "stepping in";  knowing that there's a moderator around that will hand out warns is a surefire way to curtail some of the things that have been happening in the section.  With this, I'm 200% sure that a lot of the more toxic activity (the spamming and flaming, not necessarily the arguing) will decrease, but for the arguments?  It honestly depends on a case-by-case basis where I'll step in.  At the first sight of something going awry, like an argument drifting away from the thread's actual topic and into some territory aside from what was put forth, I would step in and immediately tell them to keep it civil at risk of warns.  If continued unrest happens, warns, and, in more extreme cases, moderated postings, will be doled out to violators.  A strike system could also be used for the section, though I haven't exactly fleshed that out in my head yet.

2. I know I would be incredibly active and attentive.  General, along with Roleplaying, are my two homefronts, and I'm on at almost all points in the day.  Combine that with being relatively attentive to the many Skype chats happening, and I'm nothing more than a click away from figuring out what the heck is going on.

3. New rules, a possible strike system... and maybe even a moderated debate of the week kind of thing.  General is also the go-to place for events (or, rather, misc. is, but General was in the past), and I feel like I could breathe some dust off the place for a rather fun one this holiday season.

1. When the topic degenerates to a point where further posting would simply incite conflict, or when personal insults start getting tossed around. With the first scenario, I would post telling people to cool off, and if they ignored it, lock the topic. Second scenario, warn the offending parties, first verbally, then with an actual warn. If they continue, determine whether or not the entire topic deserves a lock, or simply to ban the offending members from posting in the topic.

2. Yes. I spend an inordinate amount of time on this site almost all day, and even when I'm busy I'll pull out my phone or whatever and check it about every hour, 90 minutes or so.

3. General seems to be trucking on fine at the moment, just with a severe fuzziness when it comes to rules and punishments. However, as Goose pointed out, it is pretty much just becoming a 'News' forum, so I would definitely look into ways to make it a bit less of that.

It also comes to my attention that many of the members that come to this site may come to General in order to get a feel for it.  I'm more than comfortable helping out new YCMers, as I have done in the past.  I feel that the ability to welcome and teach members about the various nuances of the site is a very important trait to have, and I feel like I would be one of the best equipped to do just that.

You can still make an application, Smear.

Who knows, you might have the qualifications we're looking for.

Anyway, I should reiterate this fact again.

In searching for a new General mod to fill in for LZ, we don't want someone who's only going to enforce the rules + punish rulebreakers in the section. While yes, that's part of the job description (considering the nature of topics in there), how are you going to implement a way to make sure General doesn't turn into a larger version of the Miscellaneous section?

Mind you, the reason Misc exists is for the nonsensical stuff to have a place to call home, and legitimate conversations about issues (i.e. recent verdict in Ferguson, the ebola pandemic or whatever issues you feel that merit a discussion) stay in the regular General area.

Archived