Removing Member Stars and Post Count from the Side of Posts

Aix

To be quite honest, the concept of member stars, and even post count, is quite elitist, and can intimidate newcomers. I think it would be more beneficial to abolish member stars entirely, and also stop post count from being displayed on the side of each post (but it is still visible on your profile).

If you are worried about the visual aspect, we can replace the Member stars with something else.

This way, there is less distinction between new and old members. A newcomer came to YCM recently and frankly felt unwelcomed. I feel we should be taking all the steps we can to prevent that from happening.

So, just for clarification, what happens with headers and 45 day name changes? I'd assume everyone would get access to headers, but would the 45 day name change wait perk be abolished entirely?

Post count still exists, just doesn't appear on the side of your post. If you visit your profile, your post count will still be there.

So, just for clarification, what happens with headers and 45 day name changes? I'd assume everyone would get access to headers, but would the 45 day name change wait perk be abolished entirely?

I'd assume from my convo with Aix this morning that only the display will be removed, but the counter, and member groups will still be around, I think.

Then I don't support this idea. If a person has an issue with post count, just hiding it won't change anything really once they find out where it's at instead. This really lends itself to being pointless in the long run, since all it does is hide the thing from vision for a short period of time.

I don't support. Back when I was a nooblet, I always felt a real sense of accomplishment when I added another star under my avatar, plus it gave me more motivation to keep posting and get more active on the site. It gives you a goal and more of a purpose outside of posting your opinions on random topics.

Reaching 6 stars especially was a really good feeling and made me feel like I came a long way in cementing myself into YCM's community.

However, I do recognize the dynamic of the forum has changed dramatically since 2009. Admittedly, I know a lot more active 5-7 star users than I do 4 and under, which I believe was different from what I saw back then.

I can't say how I'd act if I encountered a ton of senior members as a nooblet. If new members really do feel a sense of apprehension in joining an "elite" community on here, then it'd be best to eliminate that feeling however we can. 

Basically, I still don't support, but if it happens, I'll be over it in a minute.

No support in my case.

Keeping the stars on posts serves as a form of motivation for members to keep track of their progress here + keep place active.

To be fair, how many of you check your profile every day to see it?

Even if this still gets applied, our post count still remains on the top posters list; so newbies still see them regardless of whether/not the amount is displayed on posts.

@Dae: We DID consider a 8th star of sorts at some point; maybe for 15-20k post members, but that would only show to the first half of page 1 [out of the members there; only Black, Fusion, DL, Armz, Agro, Jake and Desu (plus LZ/Roxas) would be the active ones; everyone else is more or less gone]. But we decided to leave it at 7 stars if you reach 5-digits.

If it's purely the number of stars intimidating people can't we change the color of the stars and just keep 1, or use a different symbol entirely?

Example: Below member's avatars (where stars are now) we instead have a banner. If you're new it'll be colored like a normal monster and say "New Member" but if you're VIP it'll be colored like a (standard) Pendulum Card and say "VIP Member" and then we'll have everything between.

Normal Monster

Effect Monster

Ritual

Fusion

Synchro

Xyz

Pendulum

We have 7 stars now, we can have 7 monster card types to replace them with.

No support, because

(1) I think it makes the site look better...not ugly at all. The site is all blue and white (except for signatures and some tiny buttons) and some orange/red and yellow looks nice.

(2) It's an achievement that motivates members to post more

(3) I did not feel the least bit intimidated by the stars. What I believe (occasionally) intimidates new members is the actions of all of the members here as a whole.

Post Count is just interesing to look at.

If it's purely the number of stars intimidating people can't we change the color of the stars and just keep 1, or use a different symbol entirely?

Example: Below member's avatars (where stars are now) we instead have a banner. If you're new it'll be colored like a normal monster and say "New Member" but if you're VIP it'll be colored like a (standard) Pendulum Card and say "VIP Member" and then we'll have everything between.

Normal Monster

Effect Monster

Ritual

Fusion

Synchro

Xyz

Pendulum

I'm not saying your idea is bad, but... its hard to keep track of the Normal, effect, ritual, fusion, synchro, xyz, and pendulum order. Stars are easier to keep track of.

@Sakura, no one really checks top posters list, I believe. Especially new users.

Well, even if this doesn't get implemented, the awkwardness and distance between older member and newer member is still a problem. Though, probably there's a better idea to solve this issue.

Recalling my own experiences, I remembered feeling closer to higher star members from them giving praise and/or constructive criticism on my cards, or from them talking to me and being themselves in Clubs.

I'm not entirely sure either of those can be present factors though.

Normal Monster

Effect Monster

Ritual

Fusion

Synchro

Xyz

Pendulum

This sounds pretty cool and satisfies my chuunibyou. If we're going to remove the stars, they should be replaced by something like this.

No support at all. When I was a new member the member stars made me want to keep posting and be active and I felt like I had something to work towards. And I actually like to look at others post count just to see how much they've posted on the forums.

EDIT: Realised I didn't actually state the reason why I didnt support.
I believe the Member Stars help with keeping new members active and help them strive to keep posting and increasing their post count. This is how I felt when I was new and I think that it would be the case for most people.

Archived