A subsection in General for serious discussion

Darj

Basically, I suggest to add a subsection where serious topics can be posted and discussed.

A couple of examples for the applications of this section:

- All that stuff with the [Serious] tag normally posted in the Misc. section could be brought up in this section instead.

- Members could go to this section to discuss or ask for advice on delicate subjects (such as IRL problems) without worrying of being mocked or taken lightly. It would be kind of a safe haven.

Naturally, this section would be more strict than others, and would need to be heavily moderated. For instance, I'm thinking that silly jokes, posts or "one-liners" that don't add anything to the discussion wouldn't be tolerated there. Perhaps going as far as not allowing insults nor swearing.

To be honest, I partially got the idea of this suggestion from another forum which has said section. If you don't mind, I could copy/paste or post a link to the rules posted on that forum for a more solid example of what I mean, and also as a reference.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Before someone asks:

Why not simply post those threads in General?

Well, the purpose of this "Serious" is to be far more strict than the usual section. For instance, in regular "General", jokes and one-liners would be fine, but not in the "Serious" section. The main goal is to provide a "safe zone" for members and ensuring that any thread posted there will get legit advice/replies instead of irrelevant comments, nonsense, jokes, or worse, insults.

I can see the argument here.  Miscellaneous, right now, is a mixture of serious Ask Me Anythings and the non-serious shitpost threads that everyone wants but no one really needs.  While I do support this, this adds another section for whoever the new General mod will be.  I'd say it's up to them to make this decision.

I actually like the idea of a Reality Corner type subsection where people can post threads about real life problems. Another site I visit has this kind of section, and it really works there. I would like to give that a try for YCM, and see if that's worth having here.

I would really support giving a section like that a try, if the new General mods are for it considering it would kinda be in their section.

yes, lets makanother subforum to make the other forums even less active

Instead of simply making a nonsensical statement that contributes absolutely nothing to the topic at hand, why don't you try formulating an argument as to why this subsection shouldn't be made?  No one's going to take anything you do or say seriously if you keep doing this, so I suggest you actually try and argue your case for once.

yes, lets makanother subforum to make the other forums even less active

That's not how it works at all for this idea. :/

This idea for a new section is a section that wouldn't lower activity in the other sections because these kinds of threads don't normally get made at all. Usually it's just a status at most. 

I don't support. I'd rather we just make General more serious and strict and have Misc for the silliness.

May have missed point, re-reading.

I suppose if it's like a "Personal issues" subsection maybe but I don't see why that can't just happen in General anyway. Just allow those threads in General, and keep General moderated as it should be.

It would be a nice thing to have.

Unlike the sarcastic fellow above only seeing the possibility of a negative outcome, there is nothing to lose in it. See, rather than simply eliminating activity, the section would add nothing but potential extra activity.

Or, if ten people visit General where five others (two for each being part of the original ten) visit Polls, Games and Miscellaneous, then that has nineteen people in the section as a whole, because some visit particular subsections exclusively. By creating this new section, you are allowing people who are uninterested in the former sections a possibility at becoming active there, instead, possibly adding three new people like the other sections already have. Regardless of if the section is destined to oblivion like "Literature" or not, there are undoubtedly extra posts and visitors in the area that are not seen elsewhere.

Another boon to the section is that for those who find General uninteresting but already post in it, perhaps the heaviness of a serious discussion would rekindle an urge to gain activity they only had little of before. I rarely make new posts in General, but my activity only has the chance at increasing at the conception of another section.

Anyway, you do well in perhaps making new members post in a new section and even giving members with low activity the ability to turn that into high activity. That increases diversity, too.

So we have a subsection of general to joke in and a subsection of general to be serious? I see zero value to this.  If a topic is serious, members should be serious regardless of the subforum.  One liners aren't appropriate in those threads so mods can deal with them.  Absolutely no reason this needs to be seperate. 

Instead of simply making a nonsensical statement that contributes absolutely nothing to the topic at hand, why don't you try formulating an argument as to why this subsection shouldn't be made?  No one's going to take anything you do or say seriously if you keep doing this, so I suggest you actually try and argue your case for once.

you do realize he provided an argument and one that actually has been proven true in YCMs history if you look at multimedia.  Get off your horse and try not spamming/minimoding.

Kazooie's argument is only based on a theoretical argument "no it wouldn't" which I don't find convincing in the slightest.

As mentioned in the OP, the rules on this subsection would be far more strict than in General (no one-liners, jokes, sarcasm, off-topic comments, "casual" swearing, etc.), which is why I think is more practical to separate it, instead of adding rules on General that exclusively apply on Serious threads.

I don't support. I'd rather we just make General more serious and strict and have Misc for the silliness.

May have missed point, re-reading.

I suppose if it's like a "Personal issues" subsection maybe but I don't see why that can't just happen in General anyway. Just allow those threads in General, and keep General moderated as it should be.

The subsection wouldn't be limited to personal issues. For instance, delicate topics such as "Abortion" or "Euthanasia" could be brought up there to debate.

I would like to point out that I did, in fact, make some more serious threads in Misc. And while some joked, for the most part it was taken seriously.

Yes. But wouldn't you have preferred that everyone had taken it seriously? That's what this "serious" subsection would help with.

Sooooo kinda like bringing the old debates section back? While I don't mind the idea, I feel as if it would have the same problem as the old one. Being reeaaaally inactive. I feel like we're better off just posting these threads in general. And if need be even have a [Serious] tag or something along those lines in the title.

Sooooo kinda like bringing the old debates section back? While I don't mind the idea, I feel as if it would have the same problem as the old one. Being reeaaaally inactive. I feel like we're better off just posting these threads in general. And if need be even have a [Serious] tag or something along those lines in the title.

This. We had exactly what your asking a long time ago, and it was hardly ever used. If you feel a topic might get heated, just label it as such and have be willing to call in a mod should things look to start getting out of hand.

We are also aiming to have the section be more strictly moderated to what your suggestion be like, especially when later the new General mod(s) have been elected. So if this suggestion's goal is to have a more focused "General" section without all the spams and whatnot, we're trying to turn the section itself into something close to that right now.

Though, if we're making it like Caeda's suggestion, a "Reality Corner" subsection with enough difference from General, then sure. I have no problems with that.

Though, if we're making it like Caeda's suggestion, a "Reality Corner" subsection with enough difference from General, then sure. I have no problems with that.

This doesn't sound too bad, although I feel that this would be better if we just used the [Serious] tag in misc. properly

Honestly, I feel a [Serious] tag would suffice. General can have jokes and one-liners, sure, but the baseline of the section is to have some form of credible discussion, and a serious tag would be able to further emphasize that and weed out any spam or one-liners.

And I think Nai's right in that the thread could be drowned out in misc, so best do it in the main section. 

We are also aiming to have the section be more strictly moderated to what your suggestion be like, especially when later the new General mod(s) have been elected. So if this suggestion's goal is to have a more focused "General" section without all the spams and whatnot, we're trying to turn the section itself into something close to that right now.

Wouldn't forbidding one-liners, jokes, sarcasm, etc. in the entire General section be a bit... harsh or opressive? For some reason I don't see it happening, or not without getting complains from the community, but I'm not sure. Hence the suggestion of an stricter subsection, while leaving General with more lax rules and for non-serious topics (e.g. cosplay, food) where members can still crack a joke or two without being warned or punished for it. Unless you expect those non-serious topics to be posted to Misc. section, but I think that would make things kinda messy.

Anyways, I agree that the [Serious] tag system in theory would suffice, but personally I would rather have all the serious matters in a especialized subsection, than the General section mixed with serious and non-serious content.

I seriously believe deriving more content from General just seems silly, if you want a more serious discussion using [Serious] will literally get you the same results.

Just seems to me like another unnecessary subforum.

So no support from me I'm afraid perhaps there are other things that could be done to further develop more serious discussions-but separating it does nothing more than to further divide the section.

As already mentioned by Flame and a good amount of veteran members, Debates was a forum designed for whatever's being brought up here.

Didn't really work out in the end.

An idea would be to just set some rules in the thread + keep an eye on things before they get out of hand.

If they get broken, report it and let one of the staff members deal with it.

Wouldn't forbidding one-liners, jokes, sarcasm, etc. in the entire General section be a bit... harsh or opressive? For some reason I don't see it happening, or not without getting complains from the community, but I'm not sure. Hence the suggestion of an stricter subsection, while leaving General with more lax rules and for non-serious topics (e.g. cosplay, food) where members can still crack a joke or two without being warned or punished for it. Unless you expect those non-serious topics to be posted to Misc. section, but I think that would make things kinda messy.

Personally I don't mind the jokes, provided they're relevant and appropriate for the forum/topic itself & you actually say something in text about said subject [in main post].

But more or less, a Serious tag would keep things in order.

Doesn't cause the section to be split in two, but keeps a degree of order in the area.

(Of course, when the new General mod[s] are promoted, it's their call on what to do)

Anyways, I agree that the [Serious] tag system in theory would suffice, but personally I would rather have all the serious matters in a especialized subsection, than the General section mixed with serious and non-serious content.

No because that's spam. It's easy enough to make the jokes and also have a serious reply. If all you have to say about something is a one-liner, might as well keep it to statuses/Misc.

Looking back on it now that the blog subsection is posted, Rai's idea for the blog subsection works really well with the idea of a Reality Corner for IRL issues.

If the Blog Subsection happens, one could easily keep a blog of what's going on, along with that section having the normal blog stuff.

From there, more serious threads can be placed into General while the IRL issues in particular have a different place they can be. With that distinction, I do support the idea of a tagging system being put into place in General so that threads that do tackle more sensitive issues can have a little more control over them, but this idea doesn't seem too needed if the Blog subsection is made.

I guess the [Serious] tag system should be fine.

It would be nice if the Mods pinned a thread in General with the rules on [Serious] tags (possibly along any other rules that apply specifically in the General Section), because currently the rule is in Misc. and it is not even in the OP of the thread it is mentioned.

I guess the [Serious] tag system should be fine.

It would be nice if the Mods pinned a thread in General with the rules on [Serious] tags (possibly along any other rules that apply specifically in the General Section), because currently the rule is in Misc. and it is not even in the OP of the thread it is mentioned.

With general get new moderatorship soon, I'm expecting/hoping for a ton more organization and what not to come to the section soon.

Archived