Reforming Realistic Cards/Pop Culture Cards

Blake

Yeah, that would've been a good idea to have given a status; but more or less, the renovation is finished.

The format is essentially whatever I wrote in the floor plan.

As much as I'd like to delete the unneeded forums, I don't have the necessary permissions, so will need to consult with Night to deal with those.

Ah okay then... looking over them right now.

"Post cards with the intent to have an effect on the current gamestate. Pop Culture cards designed with this in mind are welcome here."

Minor change but in this case it would be "affect" instead of "effect" and "game state" should be separate words.

Just wanted to mention this here aswell. 

Placement is a huge factor in the section's activity. and if you move a forum into a subsection, its visitor base will narrow slightly, when it's not right there in front of you on the home page - it will be less active.

Just as arguably happened to the written cards sections.

also, the homepage feels slightly under-detailed: there's a bunch of small subsections, and as a result the "last post info" column becomes much less viable. (is also adding to the general feel that makes these subsections feel out of reach)

I think we need to zoom in the homepage a little and fit more detail in it, make some of the subsections entities themselves.

Casual and non-casual multiples should get the same size as singles, at the very least.

Merging written cards into the sections is a great idea btw.

What I'm conveying here is basically to get aware of how the design affects a user's attention, subsections might lose popularity as a result of some kinds of organizings.

Yeah, it is considerably smaller now than first thought.

Though some people might argue that it looks a bit cleaner; 3 main sections instead of 6 (both RC sections, PC, both contest sections and the former AoC)

I suppose I can go and make 1v1s its own section again, like it was for the past 4-5 months. That way, they won't get lost with the main ones.

(BTW, this was Striker's idea)

As for the naming, Cards/Design can be added on to them; it's a simple fix.

This may be obvious but I don't think it has been brought up yet so just as a reminder, we could use a [Written] tag when posting threads with, well, written cards.

That's still an option.

Also would like to remind you all of you who use the Other TCG sections to also tag what game you're designing stuff for.

Personally, I'm not really convinced by the "Modern" label. I don't know, it is not a word used often in Yu-Gi-Oh! language, and Black mentioned he was borrowing it from MTG. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to use a different label that isn't related to other TCGs instead?

For instance, "Competitive" as a label was already rejected, but how about "Metagame" or "Advanced" (as a reference to YGO's Advanced Format)? Just throwing out ideas.

Nai's spoken to me about this issue (with some advice from Icy in PM), but I suppose I'll note it.

Essentially, the idea is to restrict access to Advanced until a member reaches a certain post count; given from observation, newer members tend to design cards for the hell of it, and ignore a lot of principles.

As IP.Board doesn't allow us to set permissions on post count, a new member group had to be designed for that reason; it's called Advanced Member.

You'll become that group upon 100 posts, which is generally the amount we've mandated to speak in staff nominations as of late.

Idea is that new members will learn in Traditional, and when they get stronger, they'll probably have the 100 post count needed to become Advanced and move on.

Of course, we do have some newbies who can perform under Advanced standards, so I worry that we're discriminating against them as well.

Another issue is that Night/evilfusion has to change the permissions of Advanced; Nai or I cannot do it.

I disagree with a post count limitation.

Like, if a newbie posts in Advanced and clearly doesn't belong, just report them to move it. I reported a clearly casual thread that somehow got sorted into Advanced earlier today.

I mean, I would have loved for someone like Masao to post in AC as soon as he was a member, and some people are led here, so a post lock on it seems like it's a half-baked idea to keep work load lower on the mods, but it excludes people needlessly.

There has to be a better solution than just filtering them away, regardless of who they are.

I moved it to Traditional/Casual right after I read your report, Black; don't know if Nai or Zextra moved it back.

As noted though, a lot of threads are still being sorted through; and shafted when needed.

I disagree with the post count restriction to an extent, because in most cases, a newbie will just use the other sections to get his 100 posts, claim access to Advanced and some other things.

Again, Nai just mentioned it in passing from Icy (whom many of you recall was one of the predecessors to both Black/Koko and now Zex/me/Nai)

If it's in the wrong place, yeah reporting/moving is much easier to deal with. Doesn't require Night/evil to change the permissions.

Did I miss where Traditional Cards was a proposed name?

*CTRL+F*

Yes, I did.

That name is absolutely fucking awful. I understand why you did it, but I don't think you thought it through.

Traditional is looked down upon by every Yu-Gi-Oh! player. It's not a positive term. It's a term that very much says "do whatever the hell you want".

So instead of sticking to Casual/Equivalent, you likened it to a "go wild and fuck design" section =x

Archived