Repost for Modern Justice [Phantom Mailady]

Blake

CHzGh0U.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monster(s)

If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can target 1 face-up monster on the field; change that target to face-down Defense Position. You can target 1 face-up Monster; equip this monster you control to that target. It loses 500 ATK (permanently). If that monster would leave the field (by battle or a card effect), you can banish this equipped card instead. If this card is banished by this effect: Take 1500 damage.

Because this is my shining example of what I want the new Modern Cards (name not finalized) to be.

So, let me go over the design a bit.

First off, it was designed with 2 major facets in mind:
Synchro Counterpart to Number 80: Rhapsody in Berserk
Another Fiend for DD(D) to be able to summon, with a bit of versatile pseudo-removal attached. Akin to Beastlord Vulcan's relation to Fire Fists.

So, as I designed the Book of Moon-esque effect, I realized it really could be more like Book of Moon. At the time, Yang Zing had been out for a bit, so I made it incapable of missing timing in order to work well with them via "If...: You can" for the first effect. Synchrons coming up later makes this design choice feel even better, imo, as it gives you another card you can value against others in an already insanely tight ED. I wouldn't use it over MRD/BRD most places, but the option and thought process is there.

Then there's the second effect. It equips to a monster to give it a form of protection while permanently, but gains a good protection card... but it can burn you, which ties in with the DDDs, especially given that the effect is a powerful generic protection effect despite losing to MST. High "power" for a couple of costs. In addition, the -500 can be mitigated by DD Proud Ogre, though I personally feel that card isn't as useful as it was when this card was designed.

So let's move onto some more flavor with the name, shall we? This is my favorite part~

Phantom Mailady
Phantom Mail (It's a possessed suit of armor that can be worn)
Phantom (Mai)Lady (Lady, see the top right of the art)
Phantom (It fades away after it serves it's purpose, to a place likely beyond reach)
Mailady (pun on Mallady, see the burn and drawbacks of the cursed armor)
Mail-ady (pun on Melody, see Number 80)

All of these come together in the effect and art, giving depth to the flavor of the card and strengthening what it is that the card does.

And that's what I think is a potent example of what the future of "realistic cards" should be as Modern Cards or whatever it shall be known as.

AAI_Miles_Edgeworth_Bowing.gif

EDIT: and as a point I didn't even think of with the flavor until now...

The DDDs are technically from the Different Dimension, AKA banish zone, despite them not being related to the older D.D.s.

this means that she could fade away in the one world and go to the DDDs in the other.

Archived