Hosting 1v1 contests?

Darj

Basically, the question is:

Are we allowed to challenge 2 YCM members into participating in a 1v1 Contest without involving ourselves? in other words, host 1v1 contests?

The thing is that sometimes I think in a concept for a card, but I get stuck and cannot go further than that.

To put an example: A couple of days ago I thought that it would be neat to make a card that "glued" the Ninja archetype with the "Karakuri Ninjas". But since then I have not come up with anything more specific (effect, card type, etc.)

Then I thought: how about placing it as a challenge for other YCM members and see what they can come up with? Basically, organize a 1v1 contest as usual (set the theme/task, entry requirements, etc.), except that instead of being "you vs. another member", you accept 2 members and put them to fight each other, so to speak. Of course, the rep/point reward would come from you, the "host", instead of the loser.

The votes would work in the same way: first to get more or 3 votes from other members. The host could be allowed to vote as well.

Why not make regular Contests and accept more than 2 members instead?

Well, the main reason is that I think the themes/tasks could be too specific for a regular contest and thus may not get enough attention (for instance, I don't think 5+ members would be interested in making a card that glues Ninjas with the Karakuri Ninjas), also you could get way too similar entries from different members, making it difficult to rate properly. In theory it should be easier to successfully finish a contest when only 2 members are involved.

Thoughts?

As far as contest rules are concerned, if you need to use them to narrow down candidates for placing matches, then yeah you can do that.

Or for stuff like that, but also keep in mind that you'll get some voters that don't judge properly (if that's the case, either you as the host can disregard their votes, or myself/Nai come in there and nullify it ourselves).

Usually, this option is best for 20-30 man tournaments, where you really need to get down the amount of entries to judge on your own.

Then again, Striker added the lines about 1v1s being linked to regular contests during his modship, so...

Archived