[Sakura Written] Ryubí, Emperor of Illusionary Dragons

Flash Flyer - Sakura

幻龍君主神 リュービ

Level 7 / Dark / Dragon / Ritual
You can Ritual Summon this card with "Flame Dance of Illusion Dragon". You can only use 1 "Ryubí, Emperor of Illusion Dragons" effect per turn, and only once that turn.
● Discard 1 card; target 1 card on the field and banish it.

● Discard 1 card; add 1 Level 4 or lower Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

● Discard 1 card; when this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Your opponent takes damage equal to its ATK.

2800/2100

幻想龍の花火舞

EH6U2Se.jpg

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Ryubi, Emperor of Illusion Dragons". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal 7 or more. If a Ritual Monster(s) you control would be affected by an opponent's card effect while this card is in your Graveyard, you can banish this card instead.

(I actually have a pic for the Ritual, but not for the monster itself)

--------

I had this idea a few weeks ago in the planning thread (for convenience, it's located in Casual Cards).

Basically, that was to facilitate making Saffira easier to summon + extra support. (And no, it's not because that was my monster account during Halloween)

Basically, Ryubí is intended to be on the field alongside Sapphy and trigger her effect during the End Phase. (Ideally working on some Dragon monsters that are capable of searching either of them out + offering additional support; those are WIP)

First effect is essentially a 1-card pop, except for the fact it banishes.

Second allows it to deal burn damage.

Third is basically a RoTA for Dragons.

I made the discard cost 2 cards, so you can't generate infinite loops in conjunction with Sapphy.

The loop is basically: ditch 1 card and apply whatever effect with Ryubí, retrieve discard later with Sapphy + use her effect.

I tried NOT to allow that kind of thing here by requiring a 2 card discard for whatever this card can do.

For reference, said support cards are supposedly LIGHT (so it's especially important that they don't generate endless advantage for little investment, combined with Sapphy + any other LIGHT/Dragon support available)

I need to give credit to Voltex for suggesting the idea to an extent, though.

Name is derived from the word "ruby", which supposes its relation to Sapphy.

(RS/ORAS puns not intended)

So yeah, please CnC.

I think the "you can only use 1 effect of "[this card]" per turn and only once that turn" clause should go before the bullet sections, if just for the sake of how it looks.

According to how it is written, you have to discard 2 cards during your Main Phase for this ignition effect to declare that you are gonna even have the right to use them when they trigger later (like your battle phase effect there). That's way too fragile AND expensive.

It is also unheard of that a bullet using effects lore would have 2 "cost" stages. The way it is worded is either:

-All bullets have a shared cost/condition/etc (what goes before semi-colons), and just write resolution effects after each bullet. This would mean that the "targeting" nature of your banishing effect would be impossible, and that your effects would need to be triggered by the same action.

-Give each of the bullet points the full cost (include the "discard 2" after every bullet to start off). This allows you to trigger the battle phase effect more naturally and also allows you to target with the banishing effect like you want to. It can get wordy, but it is the better choice. Also you need to not share the double discard with all those effects. For some of them it is just not worth it (like the Flare Wingman-like burn).

I don't know that other card you mention that makes a combo with it, but I think that other card might need tweaking on itself if it makes this be arguably broken without an expensive double discard. Then again, I think being a Ritual Monster not attached to any archetype is costy enough as is, so you'd be fine even if it generated a +1 in a combo with a specific card that is also allegedly a Ritual.

The Ritual Spell seems like it can have many handy uses as generic any-time negation for S/T. You don't even need to run it in Ritual decks... I like it and how your opponent needs to think about how to bait it, but I don't know if it could be abusive or gimmicky in practice so I don't know what to say on it. It is interesting at the very least.

FpOPT10.png

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Saffira,_Queen_of_Dragons

Out of fairness, the effect is set similarly to what Sapphy has. (This is the card I'm referring to)

But since Sapphy triggers at the End Phase, and this one does at the Main Phase, it would probably make sense to do it.

Could probably be that I originally designed this card as a mirror of sorts, so the effects are worded in a similar way. And yes, both are Rituals.

As for the 2nd effect; I can just make it full on burn if that does anything.

Or some other options:

[1] Replace it with something more potent (or just make it deal a flat 1500-2000 damage or something),

[2] Strip the discard effect on it or

[3] Just get rid of it altogether.

Probably #2 if I want to keep some flavor.

As for #1, I can just write it as "Target 1 card on the field and destroy it" or I can have it non-target; although .Saber made a point of not doing that.

For the Ritual Spell, yeah it does have a generic use. Could probably change it to require a Ritual Monster on the field to activate, so you can't just throw it in a random deck for the sake of negation.

--

I mentioned other cards, but those are Main Deck members meant to support this/Sapphy.

Haven't started on them yet.

But changes have been made.

Thanks for commenting, Sleepy.

(Side-note; make sure I order 2 copies of Sapphy before dealer runs out again)

The Ritual Monster having "2 cost stages" should be fine. See "Evilswarm Ouroboros" as reference, who asks you to detach, and then 1 of the 3 bullets have a "cost", in its case, targeting. But it doesn't really matter because with the fix it looks better now.

Anyways. This is a weird case in that the Ritual Monster looks weak, but the Spell abusable:

On the Ritual Monster:

- Sleepy already pointed out how discarding 2 cards is too expensive.

- I agree that the burning effect is too weak for a 2-card discard, but you already fixed that. I was about to suggest to add a "this turn" to the clause of said effect to be consistent with the OPT discard cost, but you already fixed that as well.

- I don't think the remaining 2 effects are worth of 2 discards. Yes, it combos well with Saffira, but if you don't have her on the field then this Ritual Monster becomes more or less bad. And getting both this and Saffira at the same time will be a pain. In my opinion it should only cost 1 discard. Even if you have both and Saffira loops the discarded monster, in the end both would generate a +1 for each, which doesn't look that unfair.

On the Spell Card:

- My main concern is that you can tech it in mill decks for potentially free negations. Also, negation effects are usually frowned upon because they are "you can't play Yugioh" effects. At the very least, change it so it requires you to control a Ritual Monster to prevent milling abuse, but personally I suggest to go for a different kind effect; perhaps a protection against other kinds of non-destruction removal as a counterpart of Saffira's Ritual Spell?

The main thing I had here was whether or not to make it discard 1 or 2 cards, considering the effects can be crippling. 

But I can just make it ditch 1 card if it's not too bad.

Just worried about having it generate too many pluses for what it's worth.

Remember that Pikaké card you graded for your perma-certification? I mentioned a bit that it was designed for Sapphy in mind; originally I had it set for 1 card.

(Should probably post that one too, with this account)

As for the Spell Card, considering Hymn only blocks destruction; Flame Dance can block bouncing effects like Chidori or some other cases like 101 (I must really like comparing half of the stuff in here to it, don't I?). I fixed it like that, but that effect seems a bit odd now. As for the other option, I did consider requiring a Ritual Monster on the field (like I noted earlier); so LS can't mill this to negate for the hell of it.

My opinion on the cards, as I did like Saphira and was very amused at the Saphira deck with Re-Bible in the OCG awhile back...

The Ritual Spell's effect is very solid. However, I would definitely make it non-generic to prevent abuse. An activation condition with something like "if there is a Ritual Monster on (your side? either side? of) the field or in your Graveyard" would mostly keep the card's typical usage intact while cutting out most abuse cases.

The monster's effects are kind of underwhelming. The discard 2 to banish 1 card is ok; you could probably make the discard and banish both part of the effect to not risk randomly getting smashed by something. The discard 2 to fetch a level 4 or lower Dragon-type seems a lot sadder, and I don't feel that discarding 1 to get the same effect (yes, even with the existence of the loop in mind) is particularly broken. The third option could safely be turned into the full burn. Without some buffs to the effects, I don't feel the card is worth the opportunity cost to summon in the first place, unfortunately.

I feel like the card would honestly benefit from actual 141 removal but that's just me. The banish effect might be a bit too good for 141 for your tastes.

I already fixed it while you commented on this, but yeah 2 cards for whatever I have now was underwhelming.

Guess I should post the original effect I had; probably would be broken as hell (especially 1st effect).

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Flame Dance of Illusion Dragon". You can discard 2 cards from your hand; activate 1 of these effects.
● Target up to 3 cards on the field; destroy those targets. You cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activate this effect.
● Banish 1 Dragon-Type monster in your Graveyard; your opponent takes damage equal to that monster's Level or Rank x 200 points. 
● Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Dragon-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard. 
You can only use 1 "Ryubí, Emperor of Illusion Dragons" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Can't really say about last two, but yeah probably not worth it.

First one's probably the one to get used more often.

DON'T grade on this one; use the effects listed in OP.

New Ritual Spell's effect is ok, but wording and timing feel kind of clunky. I think a Felgrand-esque effect would be pretty okay ("unaffected by other card effects until end of turn") unless you somehow want to do stuff with it or something, but I am a sucker for clarity / simplification of play and so on and so forth so I am totally biased.

I think the original 2nd and 3rd effects seem reasonable, but first effect feels overwhelming. It is a straight up +3! (We all know losing your Battle Phase doesn't actually matter when it comes to devastation of this scope :^) ) Saffira's effects are all individually +1s; probably popping a card (monster?) for free would've been fine.

Consider putting the discard as part of the activation condition and making the third effect either stronger or different (but still good enough to warrant the discard). I checked the wording on Saffira, and although I appreciate the parallel I am not particularly convinced that its benefit (coolness factor?) is worth not removing the "would not destroy" clause to provide wider coverage. Okay basically I think it could be safely buffed but you don't have to.

As Voltex mentioned, the Ritual card is more or less to cover up the holes that Hymn leaves behind; and that's against bouncing/non-destructive removal like the cards I noted above.

For the 3rd effect, I could just make it burn for the full ATK with a discard; again my concern is that it'll lead to more OTKs in conjunction with whatever other support exists.

Or just incorporate the revival effect I had in the older version (with a single discard).

---

Another point of concern is giving Rulers any more fodder to play with; but the 2nd effect won't search them (maybe the babies, but they're banned right now).

I can probably remove that clause, because as mentioned earlier, it'll take a bit of effort to summon both Sapphy (I mean Saffira when I say this, okay) and this at once.

At the least, it'll help deal with Black Rose, Exciton and other destruction removal. Battle will still kill it, yes, but 2800 ATK is about the level of typical bosses lately (or close to it)

It's something I can consider + fix if the added protection helps (considering it'll be on its own for a lot of the time)

I can probably remove that clause, because as mentioned earlier, it'll take a bit of effort to summon both Sapphy (I mean Saffira when I say this, okay) and this at once.

At the least, it'll help deal with Black Rose, Exciton and other destruction removal. Battle will still kill it, yes, but 2800 ATK is about the level of typical bosses lately (or close to it)

It's something I can consider + fix if the added protection helps (considering it'll be on its own for a lot of the time)

Exactly what I meant. Additional protection is never bad.

Re: abuse concerns and OTK potential, if you want to change the effect and overdamage is the only thing to be worried about, do note that it is just a "when x kills y by battle" effect. Trample damage will (let's just say almost) never actively facilitate OTKs unless it's Colossal Fighter + Armory Arm or something, but that's Armory Arm's fault :u. If you mean OTKs while your opponent's board is already set up ... I think that's probably okay. I mean look at Utopia Ray V, that card deals tons of damage to kill people with but is not unfair while doing it.

I changed it to give protection from any card effect; whether or not you destroy or bounce (Ritual).

Shouldn't be too bad now.

I suppose you can factor in the current metagame + other things Konami made that influenced me to design things like I did earlier.

Considering effect removal is common, having one-time protection from it is nice.

Just need to make sure the opponent has a way to either counter / get around its protection; it does (opponent just needs to flat out kill it in a standard battle).

As for the damage effect, should be fine with a discard + a full burn.

Archived