Design: Making a fresh format

-Griffin

After popping back to the forum, I decided to re-try at making something that was tried and failed before, making a custom format for Yugioh. This means starting with no cards in the card pool, and adding in cards, existing or custom, until you feel you have a game worth playing, then you keep adding, removing, and generally iterating to make the best game possible. Why bother, one might ask? There's already the TCG to play, and it has so many cards, surely losing all those options isn't worth it? 

For an idea of the motivation, here's an extract from the recent banlist threads, and also some responses to a survey I did about making a custom format:

xbXD43j.png

A lot of people aren't happy with the game right now. They like Yugioh, they like playing competitively, but they feel that competitive Yugioh simply isn't good right now - for a variety of reasons. Too many useless cards to sort through, too many Decks that are no longer supported, games ending too fast, and having little interaction, are among a few of the reasons I've heard. A fresh format could fix a lot of these. To emphasize, the main motivation for this format is to make an awesome version of Yugioh to play. not a free-for-all of card design that accepts every card created for it. If you want to pop some opinions onto the survey, or help with the format, you can find the post about it here

This blog is going to be about the ongoing development of the format, and some general musings on the design of cards and Decks, and all other aspects I consider during the project. Feel free to ask questions or suggest things worth making a post about. 

This opening post will be moved and archived as the development advances, and the most up-to-date information on how to contribute to and play the format will always be in the first post. Whenever that stuff changes, I'll also make a new post about it, however.

I believe we still discuss stuff in the respective threads at Experimental Section, and -Griffin will publish the advances in this Blog, making it easier for anyone interested to see and understand what's going on and how the project is evolving/developing.

• 4 weeks later...

How can I post my custom yugioh cards into a new format in yugioh card maker?

Hi, this is the wrong section to post this. Please refer yourself to Questions & Help for further queries! For reference, the Yu-Gi-Oh Card Maker can generate an image code for you to post onto the forums. The button is fairly obvious.

>Takes Aix's "TGM and Konami confirmed high" quote and puts it in the pic

Wise guy, eh? ​Also yes I see the quote form me in there.

But yeah, I have no idea how this is progressing. Is it?

It is. The threads are located at the Experimental Cards section. The set list is in this page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1APyPrt2LlZ_AZPZYjTjLuGsJ29D9Xb4wAO2KPyhDvpU/edit#gid=0

There are also contests being held at the contests section for certain cards of the set that are to be key pieces and/or bosses.

I'm out of the loop as of right now and need to really update myself. Was pretty up to date until a certain period of heavy activity and now I'm about 7 pages behind on the main thread.

Archived