[MtG] [FRF] 'tis time. Daily Previews 29/12

Rodrigo

Ah, so they are doing the gradual process. Manifest replaces Morph, Temur & Jeskai & Sultai keep their old mechanics, and Mardu & Abzan get new mechanics. The other three clans presumably get new mechanics in Dragons of Tarkir.

Love the new mechanics. And the fact that it's a 'choices matter' themed set. Oh, note that the dragons get new watermarks. Probably some of the most interesting design we've seen for a long while.

Also, god knows how Manifest works with Break Open. EDIT: Never mind, they've rebooted the rules. Face-down noncreatures can't legally be turned face-up now.

So of the three options I was considering for this set in terms of flow of mechanics, they've taken a fourth. Interesting.

Love all the spoiled cards, by the way. I had designed a mechanic almost exactly like dash in the past (although it sacrificed the creature at the end step instead of bouncing it), so I'm glad they're using a design space I found to be a lot of fun.

Rageform, btw, makes me think we're going to have a cycle of "manifest auras."

EDIT: Look at the watermark on Kolaghan. It's not the Mardu one but a variation. Interesting...

EDIT 2: Two cards that were not on the Mothership were also spoiled:

Flamerush Rider 4R
Creature - Warrior (Rare)
Whenever ~ attacks, put a token onto the battlefield tapped and attacking that's a copy of another target attacking creature. Exile that token at end of combat.
Dash 2RR
3/3

Shamanic Revelation? (祭师启示) 3GG
Sorcery (Rare)
Draw a card for each creature you control.
Ferocious - You gain 4 life for each creature you control with power 4 or greater.

EDIT: Look at the watermark on Kolaghan. It's not the Mardu one but a variation. Interesting...

EDIT 2: Two cards that were not on the Mothership were also spoiled:

Flamerush Rider 4R
Creature - Warrior (Rare)
Whenever ~ attacks, put a token onto the battlefield tapped and attacking that's a copy of another target attacking creature. Exile that token at end of combat.
Dash 2RR
3/3

Shamanic Revelation? (祭师启示) 3GG
Sorcery (Rare)
Draw a card for each creature you control.
Ferocious - You gain 4 life for each creature you control with power 4 or greater.

I noticed that too. Very interesting that the dragon's themselves get different style watermarks. It seems like they will show off an aspect of the dragon since she has 4 wings and her watermark adds a 2nd pair to the Mardu one.

Revelation seems insane. I know Elf EDH wants it.

Personally, the thing I find interesting is that neither the old Khan cycle of Dragon cycle are mythic. 

I probably should have read the article closer. As Outpost Siege suggests, you can almost treat each of the dragon broods as a new clan. So, each legendary dragon and its lineage uses its own unique watermark.

And lore wise, it would be that the Mardu symbol is a variation of Kolaghan's, not the other way round! Ah, time travel.

Archived