[Sakura] Starlight Magical Archer

D38yei5.jpg

Spell Effect: Once per turn, if a Spellcaster-Type monster you control would be destroyed: You can pay 800 LP; it is not destroyed.

Monster Effect: When this card battles an opponent's monster with a higher ATK, it gains ATK equal to that monster's Level/Rank x 100 points during the Damage Step only. Once per turn: You can return 2 Spellcaster-Type monsters in your hand to the bottom of your Deck: Target 1 card on the field and destroy it.

Basically, a Pendulum Monster for Spellcasters that's intended to deal with backrow/other troublesome cards + provide some degree of protection from destruction.

Effect is very similar to Snipe Hunter (which I believe is still on the list), so need to make sure that Decks can't abuse it; hence shuffling monsters in the Deck.  I could probably have left it at 1 card so you can maintain hand advantage, but need to keep in mind about Shaddolls and how much they like to recycle cards (though the monster thing is prevalent mainly with Hedgehog and stuff).

In terms of its first effect, basically there to help it run over larger monsters; although much bigger ones can still kill it; even with the added power.

Even so, you could just blow up said larger monster with its secondary effect; assuming you have monsters to shuffle back into the Deck.

Pendulum effect protects things from Exciton, Torrential, battle/effect destruction and the like. Also blocks Bottomless to an extent if you need to.

-----------------

Picture is from Kyng's gallery (the Sentai one) if you need to find it.

Anyway, please CnC.

Reps given to proper comments.

hmm, are you sure this can protect stuff from Exciton? Doesn't Exciton destroy everything simultaneously? I'd think this and what it would try to protect would leave the field at the same time thus not giving  the pendulum effect a chance to be activated. But I could be wrong.

Also, since the pop effect is an inherent -1, I don't think specifying the 2 cards to be spellcaster monsters is that needed. It could just be 2 cards.

The fact that neither Odd-Eyes nor RoTA/Summoner's Art/Fossil Dig search it also helps balance this.

It kind of bothers me how it has protection, beatstick potential and effect removal all in one though. Having just 2 of those 3 things might make it less cluttered and have a less "this is never a dead card" vibe. Not saying having dead cards is good but having too many choices in a single card isn't good either. Honestly, I like it, and it probably wouldn't be a problem leaving it like this, but it's just not a design approach I'd go for.

Yeah, the 2 card requirement + shuffling them shouldn't require that I mandate the cards to actually be Spellcaster-Type.

As for its Pendulum effect, the idea was to provide OPT protection; though if Exciton does overrule its effect when it goes off, might have to revamp it so that goes first + can block.

Or I can have it sacrifice itself to negate a destruction; somewhat similar to what Sarenshinchu (I think this is the right one) does with Yousenjus. However, negation is really something that I have to play carefully with, considering its potential.

I can simply remove the ATK boosting effect, though as noted, only triggers if it fights a stronger monster. In development, I did have it trigger when it fought any monster, regardless of power, but think I'm glad I decided to have it only increase when it fights a bigger one. Boost isn't particularly high, but depending on what it fights, might be enough to push it over. If it were 200 per Level/Rank, then might have a bit of a problem.

Or I can just take out the protection effect and replace it with the Snipe Hunter-esque one; retaining the stat boosting as a regular effect.

I'll have to look into it later, but thank you for the CnC.

Archived