The "delete" option in a status/comment

Thar

I'm sure there have been moments where a comment was deleted and the intention of such was questioned. Why even have that option if doing so only provokes people more than just leaving it there? Hell, even if it were provocative either way, at least leaving it there would provide context.

Why even have that option? I say we get rid of it, at least on the host of the status's end.

Considering we had status updates here since the move from MyBB to IP.Boards, it's probably coded the same way Facebook and other social media have theirs set up.

But removing the option for the host to delete them is fine.

Staff will still require access to delete anything that's inappropriate for the forum; usually explicit links and other things.

I vaguely recall a few incidents, but really unsure if one of the staff at the time deleted it; or the member in question felt hurt by responses.

I don't see a problem with the way it's set-up.

In almost every form of media, the host is able to delete comments or such left on their stuff/wall/whatever. In fact, not being able to delete unwanted material is usually a strike against that form of media, due to the existence of spam, unwanted drama, etc.

Yes, there can be issues by someone deleting a comment in the middle of a status conversation, but this seems like a relatively small issue compared to being forced to leave something unwanted there because the host no longer is permitted to regulate material on his/her status feed.

Thing is, it's that particular person's status, they should be allowed to decide what is not said on it. If there's an issue, there's always PMs.

If this was implemented we'd need the mods to pay much closer attention to the statuses which they can't always do.

CowCow for status mod

That's why you can just use the Report button on said member's profile if they did something inappropriate on status feed.

If there were a button you could use to report statuses directly, then yeah great.

On my end, the system is fine. (More/less retracting part of what I mentioned earlier; couldn't type properly due to the power outages over here)

More or less, the above two summed up what I was going to say here about why it should stay.

People make mistakes sometimes when writing statuses, and want to rewrite them so they come out perfectly.

Honestly though, if people are going to blow up about statuses being removed; then PMs are always an option, or just write something in Misc.

Archived