Return to the Underworld! Custom Dark World Monsters

I'm recreating this thread because it's been over 2 months since the original thread last had a post. I've added new cards and changed the artwork/effects on 1 or 2 cards. I crave CnC, so don't hold back!

[spoiler=Eiss, Prince of Dark World]

AZULfya.jpg

If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, you can target 1 monster in either Graveyard; add 1 of your banished "Dark World" cards to your hand, then Special Summon that target (if any) in face-down Defense Position.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ambyrr, Guide of Dark World]

C7EqXm8.jpg

If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, target 1 non-Tuner Fiend-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, then Special Summon that target (if any) in face-up Defense Position.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ammawrath, Ronin of Dark World]

53hsRsQ.jpg

If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: Special Summon it from the Graveyard, then, if you did, this card gains 300 ATK.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ebonivore, War Hound of Dark World]

BQyaoYQ.jpg

Once per turn: You can discard any number of cards, and if you do, this card gains 1 Level and 300 ATK and DEF for each discarded card, until the End Phase.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Fyre, Archduke of Dark World]

ZZI76oU.jpg

You can Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard) by sending 1 of your banished "Dark World" monsters to the Graveyard, except "Fyre, Archduke of Dark World". If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: Target 1 other "Dark World" card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand, then, if this card was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, you can discard 1 card and/or Special Summon Summon 1 level 4 or lower Fiend-Type monster from your Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Genta, Soothsayer of Dark World]

pZTo6Ex.jpg

If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, you can target 1 monster on each player's side of the field; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, Special Summon 1 DARK Fiend-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard whose Level and ATK are each less than this card's, then return those targets (if any) to the hand.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ielloh, Herald of Dark World]

xSTumQO.jpg

If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: Add 1 Level 4 or lower "Dark World" monster from your Deck to your hand, then discard 1 card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Krymm, Prenumbra of Dark World]

N3xTSuG.jpg

If this card is Special Summoned by its own effect: When this card leaves the field, both players discard 1 card. If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, target up to 2 cards in either Graveyard; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, banish those targets (if any), then add 1 banished "Dark World" monster to its owners hand.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Redd, Blood-Letter of Dark World]
N0cv2kG.jpg
If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Dark World" monster from your Graveyard. During your next Standby Phase after this card was sent to your Graveyard: Return that Special Summoned monster to your hand.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Tann, Foot Soldier of Dark World]
cJ4XpFV.jpg
When this card is discarded by a card effect, discard 1 card.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Transparr, Envoy of Dark World]
IZj6F1H.jpg
When this card is Summoned, you can send 1 "Dark World" monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot activate the effects of monsters in your Graveyard this turn. When this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard: Declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap), then your opponent selects 1 "Dark World" card, of that type, from your Graveyard; add the selected card to your hand.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Verridi, Dreadknight of Dark World]
VwzK0RP.jpg
If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, target up to 2 "Dark World" cards in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, discard 1 card, and add those targets (if any) to your hand.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Rue, Oppressor of Dark World]

oaJfzmI.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner "Dark World" monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect controlled by your opponent would negate the effect(s) of a "Dark World" monster in your Graveyard: You can banish 1 "Dark World" monster from your Graveyard to have the effect of that card become "Each player discards 1 card" (This is a Quick Effect).
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Dyumon, Guardian of Dark World]
1scCxHP.jpg
2 Level 8 DARK monsters
Cannot be destroyed by battle. Any damage you would take from battles involving this card becomes 0. When an opponent's card or effect that would cause this card to leave the field is activated: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; the effect of that card becomes "Your opponent discards 1 card" (This is a Quick Effect). When this card is targeted by a card effect controlled by your opponent while it has no Xyz Materials: Return this card to the Extra Deck.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Kwah, Antihope of Dark World]
SY1yJj1.jpg
2 Level 5 Fiend-Type monsters
Once per turn, during your Main Phase or your opponent's Battle Phase, you can detach 1 Material from this card: discard 1 card. If this card with no Xyz Materials is targeted by a card effect or selected as an attack target: Switch control of this card to your opponent, then your opponent discards 1 card.
[/spoiler]

I didn't look through every single one of these, but some of the effects on the cards are redundant and or seem to repeat themselves. For example, your first monster, Ambyrr, has this effect: "If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, target 1 non-Tuner Fiend-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, then Special Summon that target (if any) in face-up Defense Position."

I just feel like these effects could be phrased better. I understand what they mean and what they are meant to do, but they are a little confusing. Instead try something like "If this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard by a card effect:_________" (place whatever you want the card effect to be in the blank space. This eliminates the need to type all that nonsense out.

Other than that, I think these cards have an interesting, albeit popular concept of working off of other card effects and the graveyard. Some of the images you use look a little cheesy for my taste, but that is truly up to you, as you envision the aesthetic of these cards, not me.

Don't give up, you'll get better with Card Grammar as you use it. ;)

I didn't look through every single one of these, but some of the effects on the cards are redundant and or seem to repeat themselves. For example, your first monster, Ambyrr, has this effect: "If this card is discarded to the Graveyard by a card effect: If it was discarded from your hand to your Graveyard by an opponent's card effect, target 1 non-Tuner Fiend-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from the Graveyard, then Special Summon that target (if any) in face-up Defense Position."

I just feel like these effects could be phrased better. I understand what they mean and what they are meant to do, but they are a little confusing. Instead try something like "If this card is discarded from your hand to the Graveyard by a card effect:_________" (place whatever you want the card effect to be in the blank space. This eliminates the need to type all that nonsense out.
Other than that, I think these cards have an interesting, albeit popular concept of working off of other card effects and the graveyard. Some of the images you use look a little cheesy for my taste, but that is truly up to you, as you envision the aesthetic of these cards, not me.
Don't give up, you'll get better with Card Grammar as you use it. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Radiant's wording actually is the correct way to word the effects of Dark Worlds. I would have to check the latest errata of Dark World monsters to be sure, but I'm thinking your wording is actually outdated from 5Ds era before problem solving text was introduced to the game.

Anywho, onto the new cards:
Ambyrr: This already sounds interesting. Knowing the Special Summoning tactics of DW, a Tuner that Specials itself is amazing, and if it's being discarded by an opponent's effect being able to immediately setup for a Synchro is even better. Based on the normal cards alone allows you to go into Beelze, Stardust Spark, or whatever other Level 8 Synchro you need. It seems like a decent little engine too, but still kinda fair for what they can do already. Not bad, not bad at all

Ammawrath: Eh, this one is ok, it Special Summons, which is indeed good, but I wouldn't run it over anything else you could potentially run

Ebonivore: This actually is quite similar to Fabled Raven, but the fact that it's Dark World makes it searchable, and consider its Level 3 instead of 2 I SUPPOSE makes it less versatile, but other than that it is a solid card to get things going, much like Raven itself

Fyre: Now this I dig. This has a rather unique factor that, unlike Grapha, focuses more on Gates and that end of the plussing rather than taking away your field presence. I would be slightly concerned because Rank 8s for days, but then again, that usually takes effort, and the synergy of this Deck with Number 95 is 0

Genta: I don't like that you get two monsters off of this card (Correct me if I'm wrong), however, the bouncing effect is fantastic, and of course you can never go wrong with self Special Summoning, and this card + Tuner = Giganticastle. In fact, alongside Silva and Goldd, a Level 9 Dark World Synchro sounds legit

Ielloh: I would normally be scared that this card can search and discard, but the fact that it's Level 4 or lower saves this card from being absolutely crazy. They synergy with the tuner though is great (Is all this Tuner synergy intentional?)

Krymm: Now this is an odd one. Punish your opponent your opponent's Graveyard and then getting a Gates target back, also note that this + the Tuner = Leo, which would be great against the meta considering BA exist

Redd: I actually like how some of these are working together with the sense of the Graveyard, something that would have been around at the time of the Structure Deck's release. This card with the tuner is again good, and with himself (If he can survive a turn) isn't bad either. You can also bounce the card you played for Grapha, which makes a lot of shenanigans open and ready to drop

Tann: Not particularly bad, but I wouldn't consider this one good. It just gets an effect to get another effect off. It would seem more effective to just get another effect off, unless I am missing something

Transparr: Probably the most interesting card in the set, this is essentially the reverse Dragged Down, which is strange within itself. However, it's pretty slick, and that Grapha setup is solid if you brick and decide to wait to go off. (Since you wouldn't be able to resolve any DW effects)

Verrdi: I feel like this one is meant to start getting the combos off, which with Tann might not be as bad as I thought. Very nice. Also Tuner synergy here. Giganticastle with that discard on summon

Dyumon: I feel this card does too much. Yes, you are competing with Grapha and Archduke, but it still is very ridiculous. It should at least be able to be destroyed by battle, and I guess it could be fine with the discard eff being once per turn, but for now it does way too much as one of the most annoying walls I can think of. Granted, what it does otherwise is great, but I doubt your opponent will let it slide when Raigeki is legal and Construct and Qli would run through (Though BA would struggle intensely).

Kwah: Now this is fantastic, and probably balanced. It disrupts, but there's nothing stopping your opponent from doing things. It can have a surprise element, but only 2 mats. Once those 2 mats are gone, it triggers a secondary effect, then it gets real depending on the card that's discarded. It would take effort to make it and make the best out of it, but if you can pull it off, it'll do some things, like Dark World should.

Overall, it seems like the new utility of Dark World presented here is quite solid, and while it wouldn't bring them quite on par with the big ones, (aside From maybe the Xyz that needs fixing), it puts them with a solid chance, and a new toolbox that takes them a few places.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Radiant's wording actually is the correct way to word the effects of Dark Worlds. I would have to check the latest errata of Dark World monsters to be sure, but I'm thinking your wording is actually outdated from 5Ds era before problem solving text was introduced to the game.

You might be correct about the grammar being from 5DS, I'm going to be honest and say I don't think I'm completely up to date on OCG. But the way Radiant phrased some of the effects still bothers me in a more traditional sense. In real speech and grammar, you don't repeat things like that. The card effect almost sounded like computer coding, what with all the "if" and "and" statements, haha.

Either way, you might not be wrong. That's just the way I would write the card's effect, it explains it in fewer words, but is an awful lot more clear to the reader/player in my opinion.

You might be correct about the grammar being from 5DS, I'm going to be honest and say I don't think I'm completely up to date on OCG. But the way Radiant phrased some of the effects still bothers me in a more traditional sense. In real speech and grammar, you don't repeat things like that. The card effect almost sounded like computer coding, what with all the "if" and "and" statements, haha.

Either way, you might not be wrong. That's just the way I would write the card's effect, it explains it in fewer words, but is an awful lot more clear to the reader/player in my opinion.

Haha I know what you mean. I actually double checked to be sure, and looking at the current errata of Snoww, Unlight of Dark World, he has it right

Anywho, onto the new cards:
Ambyrr: This already sounds interesting. Knowing the Special Summoning tactics of DW, a Tuner that Specials itself is amazing, and if it's being discarded by an opponent's effect being able to immediately setup for a Synchro is even better. Based on the normal cards alone allows you to go into Beelze, Stardust Spark, or whatever other Level 8 Synchro you need. It seems like a decent little engine too, but still kinda fair for what they can do already. Not bad, not bad at all

Ammawrath: Eh, this one is ok, it Special Summons, which is indeed good, but I wouldn't run it over anything else you could potentially run

Fyre: Now this I dig. This has a rather unique factor that, unlike Grapha, focuses more on Gates and that end of the plussing rather than taking away your field presence. I would be slightly concerned because Rank 8s for days, but then again, that usually takes effort, and the synergy of this Deck with Number 95 is 0

Genta: I don't like that you get two monsters off of this card (Correct me if I'm wrong), however, the bouncing effect is fantastic, and of course you can never go wrong with self Special Summoning, and this card + Tuner = Giganticastle. In fact, alongside Silva and Goldd, a Level 9 Dark World Synchro sounds legit

Ielloh: I would normally be scared that this card can search and discard, but the fact that it's Level 4 or lower saves this card from being absolutely crazy. They synergy with the tuner though is great (Is all this Tuner synergy intentional?)

Tann: Not particularly bad, but I wouldn't consider this one good. It just gets an effect to get another effect off. It would seem more effective to just get another effect off, unless I am missing something

Dyumon: I feel this card does too much. Yes, you are competing with Grapha and Archduke, but it still is very ridiculous. It should at least be able to be destroyed by battle, and I guess it could be fine with the discard eff being once per turn, but for now it does way too much as one of the most annoying walls I can think of. Granted, what it does otherwise is great, but I doubt your opponent will let it slide when Raigeki is legal and Construct and Qli would run through (Though BA would struggle intensely).

Overall, it seems like the new utility of Dark World presented here is quite solid, and while it wouldn't bring them quite on par with the big ones, (aside From maybe the Xyz that needs fixing), it puts them with a solid chance, and a new toolbox that takes them a few places.

Dat CnC

But, seriously, thanks. To address your comments/questions:

Ammawrath is meant to be a slightly better brron...so nothing special

Fyre is my favorite! I tested it on DN and it combos for days

With Genta, I see what you mean...maybe I should add the second ss to the opp discard?

Ielloh is mainly for getting snoww. Tuner synergy is definitely intentional

Tann is meant to be a sort of "vanilla effect" dark world...if that makes sense

Dyumon's protection is mainly for flavor...what if i made it not destroyed by battle while it has materials?

• 1 month later...

Archived