[Sakura Written] General Oda of the Ice Barrier

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General Oda of the Ice Barrier
氷結界の勇将オダ (Hyoukekkai no Yuushou Oda)

Level 6 / WATER / Warrior
If you control 2 or more "Ice Barrier" monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target up to 2 "Ice Barrier" cards in your Graveyard; add it to your hand. You can only control 1 "General Oda of the Ice Barrier".

ATK 2400 / DEF 1600

Idea from the Create a Card thread (proposed by The15thWing).

Anyway, the point of using this card in Ice Barriers (obviously it's intended only for them) is basically to help recycle used cards, particularly for the stuff Salvage/Surfacing doesn't recover. Basically used to help recuperate things discarded to trigger Strategist or Gungnir, if you opt to blow stuff up with its effect.

Also to give them another viable 1-Tribute monster to work with (considering Raiho/Knight both have average stats for L5/6 stuff).

Original idea was to recover up to 3 Ice Barrier cards (so you can restore your hand enough), but after rethinking the idea lately (and honestly, 3 was pushing it), that would've ended up as extreme fodder fuel for Magic Triangle, Dance Princess bouncing, more cards for their ace (Gungnir) to pop and so on.

So, it's only recovering 1 Ice Barrier card if it can kill stuff; notice that I didn't say "monster".

If you really wanted to, you can retrieve a Medallion from the Graveyard or one of the monsters you used for an earlier Synchro/Xyz, etc.

I'm debating on whether or not 2 would be an acceptable amount, factoring in the "you can only control 1 (name)" effect; should be fine, otherwise I'll have to test it on DP later to see if things are fine or should be boosted a little.

Anyway, CnC, fix OCG, etc.

Reps will be given to members who properly critique this card.

UPDATE LOG:

• Allowed it to recover an additional Ice Barrier card when it kills something.

In retrospective, 2400 ATK is generally a fair amount for a 1-Tribute monster; though I need to remember that I did give it a built-in SSing effect (assuming you have 2+ other Ice Barriers on the field).

In most cases, it can deal with smaller monsters and all; not a lot of their bosses, but yeah.

2 should be okay; basically this card's main purpose is to recover key cards that either got expended earlier for other things or stuff that their usual recyclers don't do (because of Level/ATK restrictions), although it can come in as a decent beater for stuff.

I had to add that last line, so you don't get 2 on the field; make a quick Rank 6 or have both destroy stuff and recover 4 cards in a single turn. But you'd normally use only 1 though; from experience, I only used 1 each of Gantala/Raiho in my build.

This card isn't more OP than Faultroll. And X-Sabers actually do something.

It's a good card, yes, and Ice Barriers have a decent amount of "good" cards, but most of their cards are garbage. It generates some good advantage and would be probably too good in another archetype, but ... the best combo I can think of would be Medallion -> this -> recycle Medallion.

That's probably what you'll be doing a lot of the time; recycle Medallion to get stuff out. 

Ideally, I'd just use it to retrieve Medallion and some used monsters like Pilgrim/Prior or something; even though you'd probably be better off reviving them using Gantala or something.

Probably would be a long shot hoping that Konami designs better stuff for them in the future; maybe some Xyz or something or better Main Deck stuff to help them survive in this era, but I don't know.

Ice Barriers are one of the few Decks that I'm more/less acquainted with in terms of playstyle (although my version is a little outdated with the power creep and stuff).

If anything, I guess you just use the cards in hand for discard fodder to trigger Gungnir again and blow your opponent's stuff away; if not to retrieve Medallion + search more out. 

Archived