The Magus: Rank 6 Elemental Spellcasters [With Pictures :O]

SeiftWzrd

Hi all!

This is actually my first time making a set and I honestly hope that I didn't completely mess up. But before I reveal to you my cards I'd like to tell you a little bit about my cards. 

[spoiler=Cards' Info + More]Firstly, I don't read into the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Terminal Lore much so I wouldn't know where to begin for these guys, but I suppose you can say they've had relationships with the infamous Dragon Rulers... Yes I read the rules before I went to post (like 3 times and I bet I'm still going to make a mistake somewhere ><) and I know that:

Cards like the Elemental Dragons (Rulers), Spellbook of Judgment, Alternate Win Conditions, One Day of Peace, etc. will be frowned upon in hopes of promoting an environment with good, player interactive design.

However in my case, I have worked on this archetype in hopes to bringing something that isn't as overpowered as the Dragon Rulers back when they were all unlimited. I admit I have never played in the Dragon Ruler format as I returned to Yu-Gi-Oh after my long hiatus pretty much after they all got banned/limited. I cannot share the pain of having to be forced to play against the Dragon Ruler decks of that format but from purely reading the cards and teching the Adult Dragon's into some of my decks, I have gained the most basic of basic knowledge of what a terror they were.

Yes my Magus monsters are derived from the Dragon Rulers, sharing similar effects and ATK/DEF. But they are also very different in many ways:

1: They are Spellcasters. Which means they do not benefit in anyway from any of the Dragon Support cards used in that era. Such as: Dragon Shrine, Eclipse Wyvern and Super Rejuvination (Which is now Banned, Phew!)

2: They are a Rank 6 archetype. The dragon rulers were able to consistently and constantly abuse powerful Rank 7 monsters such as: Number 74: Master of Blades, Number 11: Big Eye and the biggest, baddest aeroplane of them all, Mecha Phantom Beast Dracossack. The main reason I chose to make the Magus a Rank 6 Archetype other than the above reason, is because I would like to be able to utilize the new cards such as Magi Magi ☆ Magician Gal + Ebon Illusion Magician as well as the other unused cards such as Norito the Moral Leader because the archetypes we have right now (besides Gagaga I suppose) cannot make them. At least without a lot of effort.

3: Okay this one may be a little iffy... I've toned down the ATK/DEF total of the Level 6 Magus monsters to 4000 from the Dragon Ruler's 4600. I have also changed their effects to be only a little similar to the Dragon Rulers, but unique in their own way. Their effects were inspired by the Spiritual Element Trap Cards made for the Spirit Charmers Archetype. I really hope that their effects are not overpowered and if they are, I would appreciate any help to balance things out. 

4: The Dragon Rulers revolved around Banishing themselves and other cards to go into big plays, The Magus do not. Instead of doing a tonne of banishing and making things complicated and less original, I tried to make them "cycle". This is also another part where I'm not too sure of. Each of the Level 6 Magus monster cards share the effect that if you already control a copy of them, then you can discard them to draw into another card. And instead of banishing monsters to special summon them, they return cards to the BOTTOM of your deck. I was really contemplating whether or not to do Hand/Field or Hand/Graveyard to the bottom of the deck because I wanted them to be strong, but nothing overwhelming.[/spoiler]

[Spoiler=Level 6 Monsters]

DtqSYEd.jpg

Lore: If you control an "Aebus, Magus of Flames", you can discard this card to draw 1 card. If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can return 1 FIRE or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card to the bottom of your deck; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Destroy it. You can discard 1 FIRE or Spellcaster-Type monster card to inflict 800 to your opponent. You can only use 1 "Aebus, Magus of Flames" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

pOJHls8.jpg

Lore: If you control a "Yves, Magus of Tides", you can discard this card to draw 1 card. If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can return 1 WATER or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card to the bottom of your deck; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Destroy it. You can discard 1 WATER or Spellcaster-Type monster card to send 1 random card from your opponent's hand to the graveyard. You can only use 1 "Yves, Magus of Tides" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

m0KRitd.jpg

Lore: If you control an "Ulune, Magus of Storms", you can discard this card to draw 1 card. If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can return 1 WIND or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card to the bottom of your deck; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Destroy it. You can discard 1 WIND or Spellcaster-Type monster card, then target 1 card your opponent controls; place that target on the top of the Deck. You can only use 1 "Ulune, Magus of Storms" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

mDU6J4S.jpg

Lore: If you control an "Okes, Magus of Life", you can discard this card to draw 1 card. If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can return 1 EARTH or Spellcaster-Type monster from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card to the bottom of your deck; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Destroy it. You can discard 1 EARTH or Spellcaster-Type monster card to Special Summon 1 Monster from your Graveyard. It cannot attack. You can only use 1 "Okes, Magus of Life" effect per turn, and only once that turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Level 4 Monsters]

cGTFumw.jpg

Lore: You can discard this card to Special Summon 1 "Okes, Magus of Life". It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Fabeus, Magus fallen to Stone" once per turn. You cannot Normal Summon/Set the turn you activate this effect.

IoTwEI6.jpg

Lore: You can discard this card to Special Summon 1 "Yves, Magus of Tides". It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Geras, Magus fallen to Ice" once per turn. You cannot Normal Summon/Set the turn you activate this effect.

M0Tgg1I.jpg

Lore: You can discard this card to Special Summon 1 "Ulune, Magus of Storms". It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Cetrix, Magus fallen to Dust" once per turn. You cannot Normal Summon/Set the turn you activate this effect.

S2cnNfE.jpg

Lore: You can discard this card to Special Summon 1 "Abeus, Magus of Flames". It cannot attack this turn. You can only use the effect of "Axon, Magus fallen to Pyre" once per turn. You cannot Normal Summon/Set the turn you activate this effect.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]

ctpDuX5.jpg

Lore: 1 "Magus Fallen" monster + 1 "Magus of" monster

Must be Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by returning the above cards you control to the bottom of your deck, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (You do not use "Polymerization".) You can shuffle your deck, then reveal the top card of your deck, and if it is a "Magus" Monster Card, add it to your hand, otherwise place it on the bottom of your deck. You can discard 1 "Magus" Monster Card to target and destroy 1 card on the field. You can only use each effect of "Stravior, the Corrupt Magus" once per turn.

uhBTbtd.jpg
Lore: 2 Level 6 "Magus" monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 Magus monster in your graveyard; Speical Summon that target. It cannot attack this turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]
QXBn8x3.jpg
Lore: Return 1 Level 6 or Rank 6 "Magus" Monster from your hand or face-up on the field to the bottom of your deck: Draw 2 cards. You can only activate 1 "Magus seal of Replenishment" per turn.

Honestly, I don't know if I really need this card since Wonder Wand is already a thing.[/spoiler]

So there you have it! My Magus Archetype :D

I hope I haven't done too many things wrong, and if I have, I hope that I will learn from my mistakes and use this experience to better myself in the future. Please let me know what you think and what I can do to better this archetype, I hope with everyone's help I can make my very first take on a new archetype a success. 

I think you should have taken the fact that all the Dragon Rulers are Limited into some consideration.

These cards' effects are far less toned down than it may seem, both in their recycling and SS clauses, and they get actually easy resource recovery to boot? You don't even have to count the number of DRulers you have left, since you can just shuffle them back! What. I understand that this is the gimmick of your archetype, but imo it is a little too far.

One of the fundamental problems is really the babies, because that adds an extreme amount of consistency to the deck and basically throws the OPT clause out the window (hey that's what happened in regular DRuler too, think about that!).

I like the fundamental idea and premise though. Yeah there are a lot of good rank 6 Spellcasters ...

Thanks for the reply, Cirrus. 

I thought that returning them to the bottom of the deck would fix the idea because you wouldn't be shuffling your deck so there'd be a much lower chance of drawing into them. But this is, of course, coming from a newbie's point of view so I don't exactly know how viable my statement is. 

In regards to the babies, I purposely made them like that to add consistency, even preventing the controller from normal summoning during the turn but I suppose that isn't enough considering how strong the Level 6's are. 

Would you be able to propose for me a way to tone down their power in order to balance them? Perhaps adding a cost or a condition? Would changing the Level 6's summoning condition from Hand/Graveyard to Hand/Field be better? 

Playtesting? How do I do that? :s

Is that like going on to DN and having a list of proxies that you're using? I've seen people do that before but it seems troublesome. Is there a better way?

Edit: By negating their summoned effect you mean: E.g. Aebus: "You can discard 1 FIRE or Spellcaster-Type monster card to inflict 800 to your opponent.Right?

I can definitely see that balancing them out but the only problem I have is that they won't have their own distinct effect. But i suppose it's a reasonable price to pay since they're Level 6 and shouldn't have too many effects.

Thoughts so far:

*Thinking about taking away the Level 6 Magus' effect while they're on the field. Though play testing I haven't found myself using their effects so much but If they seem too powerful then I'd start from there. 

*For the Level 4 Magus' I made a small error. They all special summon their Level 6 counter parts from the deck. I'm not sure if they need nerfing even more but if need be then instead of special summoning their Level 6 counter parts, I'm thinking about having them add them to the hand.

I don't want to make too many cards for this archetype but i'm thinking about making a card like Infernity Barrier or Musakani Magatama for them so that they have protection. Norito himself can't protect the deck against powerful spell/trap cards so I think it may be necessary. I'm still open to more suggestions.

Also, *Bump!*

Take a look at the Duel Portal subforum we have here. Duel Portal is an online interface that is similar to DN in concept and YVD in interface. You can conduct playtests there =)

I, uh, forgot to mention that I meant only negation until end of turn. Yeah.

Outline for level 4s:

You can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard; Special Summon [monster here] from your Deck, but until the end of this turn, it cannot attack and its effects are negated. You cannot Normal Summon/Set during the turn you activate this effect. You can only use the effect of [cardname here] once per turn.

Archived