[Sakura 21K] Rapidfire Mecha Shooter

Flash Flyer - Sakura

ELrtjZA.jpg

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
During either player's turn, if a card or effect is activated that targets this card: You can negate that effect. During your Main Phase: You can target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this card. You can only activate each effect of "Rapidfire Mecha Shooter" once per turn.

[spoiler=V3]

KHHJPvG.jpg

[/spoiler]

Once per turn, this card cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects. During your Main Phase: You can banish 1 card from your Graveyard, then target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck. You can only activate the effect of "Rapidfire Mecha Shooter" once per turn.

[spoiler=V2]

JRdIO41.jpg

This card cannot be targeted by your opponent's effects. During your Main Phase: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck. You can only activate the effect of "Rapidfire Mecha Shooter" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=V1]

1mjcTQ1.jpg

This card cannot be targeted by your opponent's monster effects. During your Main Phase: You can discard 1 card and target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle it into the Deck. You can only activate the effect of "Rapidfire Mecha Shooter" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

------------

Yeah, this card marks my 21,000th post on YCM.

As custom since I came back, any 1000-post markers will be posts in CC with new stuff.

In this case, I've designed a generic Level 8 monster that can get around stuff like 101, Castel, Chidori and various other threats lately.

Also capable of shuffling threats into the Deck if need arises, provided you can discard.

Keep in mind that aside from Exciton and other non-targeting threats, battle from +2700 ATK monsters will still kill it.

2700 ATK, while still great for a Level 8 Synchro, still falls to common bosses.

(For reference, Thought Ruler shares the same stats as this card.)

--------------

A lot of you probably remember this card as a Pendulum, when I showcased my WIP template at the time.

Obviously I didn't just copy + paste the effects of it, and instead thought of a new idea (though the bouncing effect is somewhat similar, and Level/ATK and stuff were also retained).

I did the image on GIMP, though credit to Yin for doing the base render for me a couple months ago.

Now then, CnC please.

Reps will be given to those of you who give proper comments.

I probably could've written it as "Discard 1 card: Target 1 card your opponent controls; shuffle...", but that wording is much more concise.

Generally speaking, the effect only activates in the Main Phase, but specifying it does help; otherwise you could be triggering it during the Battle Phase; even if that wasn't the intent.

But yeah, it's meant to be a viable Level 8 drop that can deal with whatever's in the metagame right now.

If you remember Snipe Hunter, that could blow things up with a discard 67% of the time and only limited by your hand size.

In this case, since shuffling into the Deck is a lot harsher, I did have to put a hard OPT on it, so in the event you bring out a 2nd copy; you can't go and bounce multiple cards [even with an ample hand].

Usage-wise, I suppose it's good for getting rid of other Extra Deck threats and other things.

• Would probably say this could do something about Qlips, assuming you use this to get rid of their scales and all, but given all of them are Pendulums themselves; they probably won't care + can just re-search them (via Tool).
  • Infernoids should get hit nicely, considering they need to banish stuff in order to summon themselves; make them repeat the process.
  • Like I noted earlier, this card basically can deal with common Xyz like 101, Chidori, Castel and whatever else exists. I originally had it block S/Ts as well (that target), which could stop Shaddolls/stuff from abusing Super Poly and things, but that might've pushed it a bit too much.

...Not exactly.
PSCT works by listing the first clause, the terms of activation, followed by the second clause, the price of activation and the immediate activation result, and then, finally, the ending clause, which is the resolution of the effect.
So, for the effect, you do have to list "to target" instead of "and target", because targeting is the immediate activation result, as it is making sure the card can qualify as a legitimate target, instead of actually a part of the cost.

Yeah, PSCT is still somewhat of a bitch in that regard.

Though it should be fixed now and work how I intended for it to be.

I know that it's usually (pay cost): (what does the effect ask); (if successful, do what?)

I should've asked this earlier, but anything specific you liked/disliked about the card?

Keep in mind that there's a dash between Rapid/fire in that card's name, so no relationship between the two.

Like I mentioned, it supposedly blocks 101 and other common monsters.

(I mention Arc Knight A LOT in this section, because of its common-use and effects; which a couple members have suggested we use as an example of not-so great design, balancing-wise)

Otherwise, your opponent still can destroy this in battle with common bosses; use BTS and nullify this card's effects for the turn and other things.

But yeah, it does set the opponent back a turn if you can discard.

In the long run, your opponent will hurt more from getting their bosses bounced away; though you do lose hand advantage, so take your pick.

Every year it seems Konami tries to keep Synchros relevant. From Leo to Stardust Spark to Ultimaya Tzolkin, it's easy to see why they succeed. It becomes interesting then to see a shot at one, especially one that falls into one of the most common Levels played: Level 8. The Level 8 Synchro is considered the mini boss of a lot of Decks, so making such card to fit the role is tricky. In this case, however, it succeeds. Because we are in a format of no Traps, it's easy to see why this card is fantastic this format for Synchro heavy Decks. Not all of them can make Castel, not all of them can make Cairngorgon. In my MakseDAD Deck, (Basically TeleDAD with the new Hero support) I would have no space for the latter, but I would certainly have space for this. At a fair cost of a discard, you get a spin, and you get protection from nasty cards like Virgil, 101, and Castel that, in my case, wreck my Void Ogre Dragons and Dark Laws, especially against Satellarknights where those cards fly like Gaia. Accompanied by Ragnazero and MSTs, this card would be the bane of Qli, spinning Scouts while rendering most Qli effects unreliable. You lose hand advantage, but it's more reliable than trying to squeeze in an extra Rank 4. Overall, a nice card and while not every Deck can run it, for every one that can't there is one that would be thankful for this card's existence

I originally gave it some protection to Traps, in the event they become relevant again (frankly though, I still run a couple of Traps for defensive measures; including the aforementioned BTS).

But yeah, the idea is to have something to deal with Qlips and whatever's being an ass in the game right now, especially said Castels, 101 and things.

Yeah, 101's being more of a bitch than ever.

I know I did another Level 8 for my 20K post, but that one really pushed it due to having more effects than needed + being abusable by a lot of Decks.

This one just has a protection effect, and basically bounces things away; assuming you're willing to discard things. Of course, it does have Warrior support; but most of it nowadays is for Main Deck and Level 4 and under stuff. Stats should be reasonable enough to stay in the Level 8 tier, but make sure it can protect itself in battle if needed.

Thanks for the comments.

The card is fine, but it could be better in my opinion.

- The protection effect.

You do know Yazi, right? It's immune to targeting, has 2600 ATK and is a Synchro7. On the other hand, this only has 100 more ATK but is a Synchro8 AND it only protects from monster targetting. So yeah, I think this card can get away with an overall protection vs. opponent's targeting like Yazi.

- The spinning efect.

Likewise, and this may be a bold suggestion, but I think this card get away without the discard cost. Why? Keep in mind that this is the Advanced Section, where ideally we should post cards designed to become relevant or have an impact in the metagame. And the metagame and its power-creep are taking big steps. So, I believe Synchro8s can step up as well. My point is that I think the current metagame should be able to handle a costless spinner Synchro8.

You could see Virgil as example: It is also an OPT spinner Synchro (and even spins from the grave), and his discard is arguably a fake cost because the discarded BA may trigger its effect. So, if BAs have their own virtually costless spinner, I think it would be fine to grant the Synchro8 pool, which is less accessible, a costless spinner as well. And while Virgil isn't backed up by anti-targeting effect like this card, it comes with other effects such as the floating card draw, plus BA support (e.g. can be revived with Cir).

If anything, you can "nerf" the effect to target either face-up or face-down cards; and perhaps banish cards from the grave so it needs a bit of "fuel". An interesting option to keep the effect on check would be to target face-up cards, and banish a card from your grave with the same type (Monster, Spell, Trap) as the card you target.

During your Main Phase: You can banish 1 card from your Graveyard, then target 1 face-up card your opponent controls of the same type (Monster, Spell, or Trap) as the banished card; shuffle it into the Deck.

When making this, I worried about making it too strong with a general targeting block on it; even if Exciton and battle can still cream it.

But I can just revert it to having full targeting immunity.

As for the bouncing effect, considering I did put a hard OPT on it, should be fine. Basically, I want this card to be viable in the current gamestate, but not be overpowering.

(I know what Yazi is, though haven't really looked closely at its effects lately)

With that said, I removed the restriction on what this card can block and its discard cost. If I lacked a hard OPT on the bouncing effect, then yeah a discard would be needed (and possibly more to prevent it from getting rid of multiple threats every turn), but there is one, so it should be fine.

For the banishing suggestion, I'll keep it in mind for the time being; if after some testing, a clause like that is needed, I'll add some "cost".

First off,the flavor is terrible.

A hard OPT effect + some form of targeting protection = Rapidfire... How?

Next, discard 1 to spin one is still extremely powerful. Even with the gamestate's creep (which does not excuse batshit design. Advanced is about designing in a more strict environment with a higher power level, not saying 'Konami did it so can I'), that is still a very strong effect, considering its one per turn on something difficult to remove. Making it free/lightly costed is just toxic design that rewards you for getting it out an sitting on it with a free once-per-turn Castel... Except it doesn't even say face-up.

Next, the monster immunity was already absurdly strong. Like, Yazi's secondary effect is just okay outside of its own deck and Leo has only a very strong, but imperfect, targeting immunity... This is a 2700 with perfect immunity, a strong effect (even with the discard), and has an amazing level.

I don't think it should even have the monster targeting immunity, much less full immunity. If anything, it should just have a weak protection effect (say s/t targeting immunity or a Blackwing - Kris style extra life) or no protection at all.

As for the Virgil point I saw, I am extremely disappointed. First off, Burning Abuss are among the worst examples of design the game has ever known. To use them, in any way, to justify a design is ludicrous. While this is a similar design to Virgil, it's more generic and it's not a Burning Abyss. These factors are enough to make them incomparable, never mind the lack of design intelligence found in the BAs.

I also want to reiterate the intent of advanced, as people seem to have missed it. While imperfect, refer to Blaze Accelerator Maagazine. Given the gamestate, this card's only issue is being able to kill Scattershot from the grave during the opponent's turn. And royal firestorm guards, but... otherwise, it would fit into AC.

Morphtronic Smarfon fits into casual. It doesn't do enough for its deck, at all, and isn't a problem solver, just extra combo pieces. It's not up to snuff, it's just cute. It's not harming the game, but it's not even trying to be a remotely viable design.

The original version only had protection from Castel and stuff like that; no Spell/Trap things like Breakthrough or whatever is relevant lately.

But giving it OPT immunity should be fine, though it does require your opponent to bait their effects or just use a sweeper effect like Dark Hole or something.

As for its bouncing effect, I could try putting a Chaos Sorcerer clause on it and/or having it limited only to face-up cards or something.

Ideally, getting rid of backrow would be nice, but seeing that Traps aren't in lately (from whatever I'm getting from my recent Deck thread and other comments), face-ups (and copying Castel's 2 mat detach thing) are the other option.

Flavor-wise, recall that I did "recycle" the name/picture from some prototype card used for Pendulums, but suppose that put into perspective, this card "blasts" away whatever it targets, so it's not a threat (for the time being anyway). First part of the name could work, if the bouncing wasn't limited, but that would really push it.

In this case, I'll go ahead and adopt that other idea Voltex had earlier about the bouncing (banish to target threats). While I have worries about triggering stuff in the Graveyard (see Eclipse), I don't think it should be a problem, considering their Attributes do not mix.

Additionally, reduced its protection effect to OPT (more/less like Kris the Dawn); it still has enough protection, but just that the opponent can actually try getting rid of it.

While I want for this card to be strong enough to survive the current gamestate, need to make sure it doesn't screw with certain Decks because of what it's capable of doing.

Can't say much other than I would run this in any Synchro deck that can Level 8. Effect is useful at the moment.

(You can only activate the effect of "Rapidfire Mecha Shooter" once per turn.) Shouldn't it say "this effect of" because of there being a Once per turn effect before her secondary effect? Or doesn't the first effect activate?

First off,the flavor is terrible.

A hard OPT effect + some form of targeting protection = Rapidfire... How?

Next, discard 1 to spin one is still extremely powerful. Even with the gamestate's creep (which does not excuse batshit design. Advanced is about designing in a more strict environment with a higher power level, not saying 'Konami did it so can I'), that is still a very strong effect, considering its one per turn on something difficult to remove. Making it free/lightly costed is just toxic design that rewards you for getting it out an sitting on it with a free once-per-turn Castel... Except it doesn't even say face-up.

Next, the monster immunity was already absurdly strong. Like, Yazi's secondary effect is just okay outside of its own deck and Leo has only a very strong, but imperfect, targeting immunity... This is a 2700 with perfect immunity, a strong effect (even with the discard), and has an amazing level.

I don't think it should even have the monster targeting immunity, much less full immunity. If anything, it should just have a weak protection effect (say s/t targeting immunity or a Blackwing - Kris style extra life) or no protection at all.

As for the Virgil point I saw, I am extremely disappointed. First off, Burning Abuss are among the worst examples of design the game has ever known. To use them, in any way, to justify a design is ludicrous. While this is a similar design to Virgil, it's more generic and it's not a Burning Abyss. These factors are enough to make them incomparable, never mind the lack of design intelligence found in the BAs.

I also want to reiterate the intent of advanced, as people seem to have missed it. While imperfect, refer to Blaze Accelerator Maagazine. Given the gamestate, this card's only issue is being able to kill Scattershot from the grave during the opponent's turn. And royal firestorm guards, but... otherwise, it would fit into AC.

Morphtronic Smarfon fits into casual. It doesn't do enough for its deck, at all, and isn't a problem solver, just extra combo pieces. It's not up to snuff, it's just cute. It's not harming the game, but it's not even trying to be a remotely viable design.

In my defense, I did state the costless spin was a bold suggestion.

It's just that I pictured this card in the meta and I didn't see it doing anything. First, as far as I know none of the dominant decks have access to Synchro8s, so if anything, a card like this would only boost those decks with access to it. Then, a "discard to spin" effect appeared to be too underwhelming for the current meta. Yes, you get to spin a card, but most likely any top tier deck will be able to shrug it off while you spent a card on it with the discard.

In other words, if you can Synchro Summon this, chances are you aren't Qliphorts, BAs, Shaddolls, etc. and thus cannot generate or recover resources as steadily as they do. Then, if you are fighting those decks, while you spend resources every turn through this card's cost, the opponent just keeps coming back; eventually you will run out of resources while the opponent endured the hits, and will proceed to simply run over you. And that's assuming the opponent didn't manage to remove your Synchro, but most likely they will be able to do so as soon as in the next 1~2 turns, even with this card's full protection vs. targeting.

However, I didn't consider the possibility of a top tier deck showing up in the future that had access to the Synchro8 pool, and thus would benefit from this card. Needless to say, at that point this card would become a problem.

My logic on Virgil was: If a Synchro6s gets to spin without a cost, then a Synchro8 could get to spin without a cost as well to keep up with the metagame. However, I do agree that BAs shouldn't be taken as examples of good design, plus their effects have different applications, so this comparison was flawed from the beginning.

But enough of excuses. I agree and was aware that making or suggesting cards or effects that are powerful/broken just because "the metagame can handle it" is a step on the wrong direction. And on the intent of Advanced, I admit that I had it slightly wrong and missed the point.

----

OT: I don't think the "Once per turn, this card cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects." protection would work as intended. If it cannot be targeted at all, the OPT clause is redundant because technically it cannot be "used up" in the first place. I believe more proper OCG would be:

"Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated that targets this card: [You can] negate that effect"

And re-visiting the spin effect, the discard cost should be fair after all. But perhaps you could get away with the following restrictions:

- Target only face-up cards.

- "Banish card of the same type" cost I suggested earlier. That way, if, let's say, you don't have Traps in grave, you can't spin Traps. It is still an insignificant cost, though.

- The "Cannot attack this turn" clause like Chaos Sorcerer.

Hmm, since it cannot be targeted once per turn, that means it cannot become a valid target for an opponent's effect. Ever. The way it is worded it would be untargetable period, instead of once per turn.

I suggest you make it "once per turn, when this card is targeted by your opponent's card effect: negate that effect."

Otherwise, it's a solid card. A little on the boring side, but what it does, it does well. I'd probably make it level 7 to make it more splashable, but that's just me.

I've already adopted Voltex's wording; that's how I intended for it to work.

Though, I've made it so you can choose what affects it and that one instance per turn that doesn't.

As for the banish, I put a Chaos Sorcerer-esque clause on it; though I personally feel that adding the discard/banish will set you back more than needed, so I'm removing it again. Not being able to attack this turn should be fine.

Wording-wise, the effect on its own has been reworded; including the OPT clause at the bottom.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I already used this picture for an earlier card with a similar name; o_O

Forgot about that until now, after scanning stuff on my Wikia.

(Though I suppose you can assume this to be an evolution of said card; just need to do some recoloring and stuff, so it differs outside of BG)

Archived