Dice Roller in Posts

Sethera

I think it'd be cool if we had forum dice rollers.

So I know there are sites like InvisibleCastle that people can use to show dice rolls, and you can also screenshot a die roll, but they can be exploited in that people can roll over and over until they get the roll they want.

Basically, I was wondering if it'd be possible to implement something like what Gaia Online has, an actual dice roller on the forums themselves. This could prevent any cheating or manipulating rolls and I think might make things a bit more fun. I don't know the programming needed to add it though.

Example: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=14778701

While Gaia Online probably scripts their own forums, we use the forum software IP.Board so we can't make these kind of edits easily. Even if we could, I don't believe any Staff can actually code, other than our eternally absent Lord and Saviour, YCMaker.

I can't seem to find an IP.Board hook/plugin for dice rolling online, and even if I did, I don't believe I am able to upload files to the server for the plugin to work.

Many forums use a BBCode dice roller, but most of those reset if you edit the post, and I also can't find a version for IP.Board.

A possible solution would be to take the entry number of your post or the post above you, and divide it by the number of sides on your die, and then the remainder is your dice result. The entry number is difficult to predict and/or control, thus it is almost random. This only works for one dice roll though.

I assume you mean an on-site rng, it could work, but would it have a built-in limit or would you be able to edit the limits before generating? If the latter, we'd still run into an honesty issue (hmm, let's make a random number between the numbers 5 and 7!). If the former, what would the built-in limits be and how would you represent 2 different random rolls (ie. A 6d vs a 20d?)

Hate you searched for a random number generator? A rather generic function, yet versatile enough to fulfill the role of more than mere dice.

Yeah there's a few we both checked out. But mainly this was for an on-site function to avoid abusing it to get the results you want in cases it's supposed to be random.

Though looks like it's another for the list of "Can't do without the missing admin".

Yeah, it's something only YCMaker can do; even if AIx could find a plugin for this. 

And by this point, you all know how active he is lately. 

As already noted, just use a number randomizer like the one on RANDOM.org, and just be honest about the results you get from it. 

This sounds like a nice idea to prevent cheating in RPs, but again it's not something we can add right now. 

Most you can do is just use existing ones, and just be fair. Don't change the result if you're unhappy with it. 

(In some cases, this might be good for organizing tournament brackets and stuff outside of RPs, but I digress)

That's too bad... I was wondering if this was an impossible dream without YCMaker but I was hoping...oh well.

I found a couple other examples. like Giant in the Playground forums and apparently a BBCode thing was mentioned here. But yeah, I guess we'll just have to use them outside of the site and hope for honesty. I use RANDOM.org all the time, though another good one is this site.

Archived