[Sakura Written] U.A. Shock Setter

Flash Flyer - Sakura

U.A. Shock Setter

Level 3 / EARTH / Warrior

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 "U.A." monster you control to the hand, except "U.A. Shock Setter". You can only Special Summon "U.A. Shock Setter" once per turn this way. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, except by its own effect: You can add 1 "U.A." Spell Card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "U.A. Shock Setter" once per turn.

1100/1600

Based on the setter position in volleyball. 

This card is intended for searching/recovering the Spells; most notably U.A. Stadium if your opponent destroys it or Terraforming isn't getting to you quick enough for that purpose.

They have no Trap Cards at the moment, so that's why it isn't there.

Was thinking of having it recover dead UAs in the Graveyard that either got used to Xyz/Synchro (for variants that do) or just destroyed by Exciton, etc., but considering that this card can just bounce itself and re-summon, it would essentially turn into an OPT UA Stratos, and we all know that he's banned in TCG.

Also, it would sorely outclass Stadium by virtue of what it can do; save for the stat boosts. Thinking of incorporating the "floater" for UAs in another member; just need to research a sport that has a role which fulfills this (for flavor). 

In other cases, it's a smaller monster that can be Normal Summoned easily if you lack Midfielder to set up your initial plays (or any Stormforths to get the rest of them out).

Most of you know that UAs are mostly Level 5+ monsters; with the exception of Midfielder.

Please CnC.

Reps will be given to members who give proper reviews.

(P.S. I have an RL build in the Decks section; should be on the first 2 pages, if you want an idea.)

This is the consistency booster that U.A.s sorely needed - it does worry me, however, that Jersey can now be searched so easily, as that card puts so much damage on board so easily. It feels a little bland, but it fits the requirements of the archetype exactly. It completely outclasses Midfielder, however - it's a bit too good, being a once-per-turn Stratos that doesn't use up the Normal Summon if you have another U.A. - I would change it to the following (my idea for a change is in bold, my PSCT change is in bold italics). 

Suggested effect (please feel no obligations):

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 "U.A." monster you control to the hand, except "U.A. Shock Setter". You can only Special Summon "U.A. Shock Setter" once per turn this way. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned, except by its own effect: You can add 1 "U.A." Spell Card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of "U.A. Shock Setter" once per turn.

So it doesn't just completely outclass Midfielder - a balanced card by all accounts that I am sad to see power-creeped - I would make it Level 3, lower the ATK and raise the DEF - maybe 1000/1800-1900. Overall, I don't like it exactly, but that's just personal bias, so pay no heed to that; it does exactly what U.A.s need it to do.

Yeah, searching Jersey will become a lot easier, and that leads to large damage amounts.

I can say that from YGOPro testing it; especially after some boosts from Stadium, opponent loses at least half their LP or a chunk of it (coming off of a 3-4k Slugger/Ace).

Looking at it, yeah this thing puts Midfielder down a lot; not only for having stronger stats, but also searching out Stadiums and stuff. 

I can add in that limitation effect, and fix the stats, so this thing does what it's supposed to be doing, but not totally outclass Midfielder in its intended role. 

Based on the "setter" definition on Wikipedia, they need to be quick to summon; hence why it can be NSed easily. 

I've made its stats 1100/1600; basically a light hitter, but you won't be keeping on the field for long periods of time. 

If it's still too powerful in terms of its searching effect, I'll just have it retrieve stuff from the Graveyard; which is more/less the idea for this card (to retrieve any destroyed Stadiums and stuff; including Turnover Tactics in certain cases). 

---

With that said, this card can trigger with Midfielder and stuff to do things nicely; it would've been able to still do them under the other effect, but now it can't generate so many pluses and turn UAs into BA-level stuff or whatever. 

I could see that happening, considering I usually have 1-2 Sluggers out by then; and most likely boosted by a couple rounds of Stadium raises. 

But yeah, Jersey abuse just got easier to do with this. 

Flavor-wise, this fits with the corresponding team role, but in terms of application, it leads to Jersey and a lot of other things; even if the main idea is to more/less recycle Stadium (though you should be running 3 already, and not run out of them so quickly). 

Archived