[CFV] Holy Orders ~ GBT02 Eradicators (?!)

Althemia

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHAP2aW6iPY[/media]

1 Ambush Eradicator, Linchu
4 Ionization Eradicator, Kapunis
3 Sacred Spear Eradicator, Pollux
3 Eradicator, Blue Gem Carbuncle
2 Eradicator, Dragon Mage
4 Worm Toxin Eradicator, Seiobo

4 Eradicator Wyvern Guard, Guld
3 Steel-blooded Eradicator, Shuki
3 Assault Eradicator, Saikei
2 Eradicator, Egghelm Dracokid
2 Rising Phoenix

4 Two Blade Eradicator, Koenshaku
3 Fiendish Sword Eradicator, Cho-ou
3 Eradicator, Spark Rain Dragon

4 Eradicator, Ignition Dragon
3 Eradicator, Gauntlet Buster Dragon
2 Eradicator, Dragonic Descendant

-----

4 Supreme Conquering Dragon, Conquest Dragon
4 Thunder Dragon Knight, Zoras

Before I start explaining the choices I've chosen for this deck, I want to start off by saying that my expectations for this deck were not especially high when I started to play it. I was just expecting this deck to be like it was before but with a couple of new toys. I have to say that that is one of the most incorrect assumptions I've ever made throughout my history of playing anything competitively. This deck is one of Vanguard's few "anti-meta" decks to ever exist. You'll see why I say this later on, because it's a huge reason why you're going to be picking this deck to take anywhere.

Linchu is the starter because even to this day, Linchu is still an utterly ridiculous card. Being able to trade a Grade 0 for a Grade 1 or their starter is huge value, considering how some decks have ridiculous starters now that are too slow to use before Linchu (Pencil Koala and Officer Cadet, Andrei are two prime examples of what I'm referring to) so being able to snipe them off before your opponent gets to actually utilize them is a huge swing in your favour. Worst comes to worst, you end up bleeding an additional 20k worth of guard from your opponent's hand by your 2nd turn. And this is a worst case scenario.

7 crits and 5 draws are there because you almost definitely do need an assortment of both, since the draws need to find you very specific cards in your deck when the deck has almost no other way of filtering consistently while the crits put on even more pressure than this deck already does. This is where I also mention that in GBT02, Eradicators got a new crit trigger called Kapunis. This card was an insane boost to every Eradicator deck. You may be questioning why right now, but trust me we'll get to it later.

4 Perfect Guard over the G-Perfect Guard because of the fact that decks like Dragonic Overlord "The X" exists, as showing The X that you're playing G-Perfect Guards immediately means they're going to start going for your rearguards instead of your Vanguard. The unflipping power of the G-Perfect Guard is also completely unnecessary and the name is actually important for this deck, since Eradicator names are actually needed at a later point in the game.

Shuki is a more recent addition, since I was previously playing 4 Egghelm Dracokid. It has proved infinitely more useful from testing, allowing for the burst turns to be even more burst oriented. Especially true when you consider that Strides take the name of the Vanguard you stride on, allowing for Shuki to work whenever you're playing one of the huge guys from your G-Zone.

Saikei is another new addition to the deck, which basically just serves as an Eradicator-specific damage unflipper in the form of a 7k Grade 1. The stats are good enough to warrant playing, especially since in some cases it's handy to get 1 or 2 unflips off. Especially relevant on Gauntlet Buster turns, as being able to use a little bit more damage leads to even more damage going straight toward your opponent.

Egghelm Dracokid was a card I was originally playing 4 of, but cut it down to 2 after extensive testing. The reason behind me playing so very little of him is that he really doesn't do anything, since the deck's early game consists of strides to accelerate toward Limit Break. The only reason why I'm currently playing him is because he has Eradicator in his card name and he MIGHT do something in the odd game or two. However, I'm currently testing playing none of him and instead playing Mighty Bolt Dragoon instead so that I'm capable of striding a lot faster, since I'll have 10 immediate strides in my deck when I hit G3 in comparison to just 8.

Rising Phoenix is played just because he gives me filtering in the deck while also being something that I can retire to one of the later cards. I'm only playing 2 because this deck doesn't build enough soul to warrant playing any more than that, especially since it only has a 5000 body. Very self explanatory reasoning for this one.

Now we move on to one of my favourite cards that they ended up giving Eradicators. Two Blades Eradicator, Koenshaku is a double-sided retire whenever you end up retiring something once a turn. This allows you to do something that Eradicators previously could not, which is retire your opponent's backrow. This deck could not hit the back lines by any means, but killing their front line and then using Koenshaku ensures that you're going to be able to start taking out boosters. But there's more to this card than just that. Since you're both choosing for yourselves, there's nothing to stop you from putting a draw trigger of some kind down to retire so that you feel none of the impact from it while your opponent does. You can also retire Kapunis, the new crit trigger that Eradicators got, in order to add one of the top 3 cards of your Deck to your hand and then shuffle Kapunis back into the deck. Also, since Koenshaku doesn't specify names, you can also retire dead Rising Phoenixes that are clogging the board up. Being able to turn an other pretty weak Rising Phoenix into a retire is a huge way of using it, especially when it would otherwise be a dead card. Koenshaku also has huge synergies with Gauntlet Buster, as it adds a substantial boost to him just for Gauntlet Buster using his skill.

Cho-ou is a necessary card, despite him not having aged well if I do say so myself. He's a more pro-active Koenshaku, except you get to choose and it's limited to just your opponent's front row. He also can't use stuff like Rising Phoenix, so most of the time he's just going to soak up one of your triggers or a dead Egghelm Dracokid if you're playing that. The reason why he's necessary is because he DOES retire key cards as soon as you play him down, with his condition being much easier to meet than Limit Break or Stride. Also he pumps up Gauntlet Buster too and also synergizes really with with Koenshaku, but alas Cho-ou is no longer one of the star players he used to be.

Spark Rain's being played because power attackers are good, especially in combination with Shuki. It synergizes incredibly well with one of the strides that we're playing too, since it buffs this card up to an incredibly substantial number that a lot of the other cards wouldn't be able to hit by themselves. But yeah, it's a power attacker. There's not a huge lot more to say about it other than just that.

Ignition Dragon is still an incredibly good card and the best of your early game rides, since riding him allows you to have an Eradicator vanguard that sets up incredibly well for your late game. His combination with Gauntlet Buster allows for you to make up damage in a game you're losing incredibly fast, especially when you realize that you're making your opponent lose a lot of cards in the process. He also has the capability to hit the backrow, which is (as stated before) very important in Eradicators. Excess Ignition Dragons are also a really good fodder for strides, since it's very rare that you'll ever be riding more than 1 Ignition a game.

Gauntlet Buster is going to be the main way you're going to make up the damage in a game you may otherwise be losing. Since he gets a crit for everything you retire, it's incredibly easy to get him to be 5/6 crits with a combination of Koenshaku, Cho-ou and his own skill. He's also good for other reasons too, since his retire skill can be really good when used early on as it leaves your opponent with very limited options of what they want to get rid of. Excess Gauntlet Busters are also good fodder for Stride, as it's rare that you'll ever need more than 1 Gauntlet Buster.

I'm going to go ahead with an unpopular opinion now, most probably. Dragonic Descendant is one of the card in this deck that aged the worst, as I've contemplated cutting him from the list several times. But every time I go to cut him, he proves why he's good enough to stick around even if it is in very limited numbers. Having to ride Descendant early is absolutely horrible, as you get no merit whatsoever for doing so. Being able to breakride Descendant on Ignition when your opponent's on 5, however... That kind of situation is the only reason I'm still playing Descendant. In most games I end up ditching both of my Descendants for stride anyway, as they are by no means necessary for every game. However, having the option of being able to ride Descendant for the finishing push is always a fine option to have.

And now we move on to the final additions that the deck got: The Strides. These are probably some of the biggest changes that any Narukami have gotten, as they add a lot of power just by existing more than anything.

Thunder Dragon Knight, Zoras is easily one of the best additions to any clan in terms of a stride. Not only does Zoras make your Legion deck match-ups infinitely easier due to being able to tear your opponent's drop zone apart, he also gets a unit off of your opponent's board for when the Drop Zone doesn't matter as much. Such a powerful combination of skills makes Narukami easily one of the best treated in terms of their on-hit Strides, as it'll be hard for Zoras to find a counterpart to disrupt the opponent as much as he does.

Conquest Dragon is a big powerplayer for Narukami, enabling them to be able to push for huge numbers when your opponent's at critical damage. It's so easy to actually get the +10000 off that it may as well just say that your front row gets +10000. Being able to retire an opponent's front row unit is pretty nice too, since obviously the point of the deck is to push as many units off the board as possible and whenever you're able to.

1 Eradicator, First Thunder Dracokid
4 Ionization Eradicator, Kapunis
3 Sacred Spear Eradicator, Pollux
3 Eradicator, Blue Gem Carbuncle
2 Eradicator, Dragon Mage
4 Worm Toxin Eradicator, Seiobo

4 Eradicator Wyvern Guard, Guld
3 Steel-blooded Eradicator, Shuki
3 Mighty Bolt Dragoon
2 Eradicator, Egghelm Dracokid
2 Rising Phoenix

4 Two Blade Eradicator, Koenshaku
3 Fiendish Sword Eradicator, Cho-ou
3 Eradicator, Spark Rain Dragon

4 Eradicator, Sweep Command Dragon
3 Eradicator, Ignition Dragon
2 Eradicator, Gauntlet Buster Dragon

-----

4 Supreme Conquering Dragon, Conquest Dragon
4 Thunder Dragon Knight, Zoras

Ever since the launch of GBT02 recently, Eradicators have been doing what I've predicted them to do which was become respected as one of the stronger retire decks with a lot of good match-ups. However, one thing that I did not predict was that one of the less standard Eradicators from ages past was about to make a very triumphant return. And on we go with Sweep Eradicators!

Our starter is changed as a result of us playing Sweep Command to First Thunder Dracokid. When something is retired, you can slide it in to try and find Sweep Command in the top 10 and if you do, you get to ride it. This occurs whenever something is retired, so if something were to be retired during the Battle Phase after your Vanguard has already attacked...

Another change is that Saikei has been cut to include both Egghelm and Mighty Bolt Dragoon. This is due to Saikei doing significantly less in a deck where Gauntlet Buster and co are not the main attraction, especially when you're having to use your soul in order to do a lot more retiring stuff with Sweep Command. Egghelm is also a lot better in this deck, due to Sweep Command's skill being incredibly good when used earlier on.

But what's the point of playing Sweep Command over a more standardized variation of Eradicators like the one found in the opening post? The answer is simple: Zoras. Yet again Zoras manages to prove how good of a stride he is in comparison to the competition. Zoras retires a unit when his attack hits a Vanguard. This then allows for you to use the skill of First Thunder Dracokid, finding a Sweep Command in your top 10 cards and then riding it. This essentially means that the deck is actually playing a restanding Vanguard due to the fact that Zoras retires during the Battle Phase. This deck is just as good as the one featured in the opening post at retiring except it's even more explosive, something I didn't actually think was possible. But nay, Japan has proved me wrong by introducing one of the coolest interactions from GBT02.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived