Potential 4th CC moderator

* it's that time again, isn't it? *

Many of you know Zextra is busy with university and other things, and cannot always be here to moderate CC like he should (no pressure on him). However, you must also keep in mind that Nai and myself also have things that may spring up that will take up our time.

Nai's been given more things to do at work lately (based on whatever he's told the other staff members, and probably some of you).

In my case, I have no home internet access due to problems with the cable connections in my area, as many of you have been told in the tournament threads and elsewhere. Additionally, I also have college projects to attend to.

(I'm writing this at my college's library, which has suitable internet)

So in essence, there will be times that CC does not have an active moderator to keep an eye on things.

---

Now that you know the backstory, I'll skip to the main part.

Nai and I have been discussing a 4th CC mod to help keep things in order while the three of us handle things with reality and all that other stuff. (I will be back to normal by Wednesday at the earliest; I'll still be around to check on things until then, but not as frequently as I'd like to)

As it stands, we've decided on Gadjiltron and Voltex to be suiting candidates for the position.

In making our decision, we've evaluated the member's activity in the section, how well they interact with the community as a whole and above all, how well do they know the card game.

Gadjiltron, in particular, was chosen due to his extensive understanding of the game, as shown in many of his card reviews. He's also adept in MtG, a game many of you play as well; which is something Nai and I both lack in knowledge of. (Zextra has some, from what he's told me in PMs, but he's not around).

Voltex is in a similar situation, minus the other CCG knowledge.

Based on observations, they haven't gotten into any trouble with other members, and can be counted on to help pick up the slack if needed. Both of them are on good terms with Nai and myself (and possibly Zextra), so I do not foresee too many problems in communicating with one another.

[This has been brought up with Night earlier on, and the other staff members are discussing the matter]

Now, this is only what we've seen thus far as a whole. There are probably other candidates that you all may have in mind, but they weren't considered by us. (We are still looking at others who are potentially ready, but at the moment, those two are the ones we deemed to be best suited).

Ideally, CC should have 3-4 active moderators to keep things running smoothly.

---

Are Gadjiltron and/or Voltex good choices to take up the position of CC moderator? Why/why not?

If you have another person in mind, explain why they'd be a better choice than what is presented?

---

Members with 100 posts or more AND familiar with how CC works (policies, members, etc) are allowed to speak.

We need to make sure that whoever takes this role will be able to keep order in the section, and most importantly, get along well with the community. (Again, we'd like to avoid the incident with Striker, so your input is appreciated.)

Gadj, Voltex (or any potential candidates that get named); I recommend that you have a say in this as well, and confirm if you're interested in the position or not.

Please remember to keep any/all discussion civil regarding this matter; thank you.

I would like to use this post to suggest Toyo as another potential CC mod. As a moderator in Duel Portal, she is capable of bridging that gap easily, and has extensive experience with the section as a whole. 

That being said, I believe that Gadjiltron's knowledge in MtG could be useful, as created cards for that game also are present on this site, though due to their relatively low volume, and the fact that multiple members with extensive game knowledge (Rai, Flame Dragon, Dae occasionally, myself, etc.) contribute to maintain quality control among MtG cards that are present in the section well enough, it should not be used as a deciding factor.

Voltex is quite skilled in CC, but is (from what I have seen at least) much less present elsewhere on the site, and I see no particular reason to consider him above the other two, to be quite honest.

In support of Toyo becoming CC mod, and Gadjiltron right after her.

@Gadj: I'm assuming college begins in April for you in Singapore (or the Asiatic countries).

But yeah, hopefully we're not all busy if we do ultimately decide on you.

We should see what Voltex says about the issue of his nomination, but glad to see you're interested. 

@Giga: I believe Toyo was considered at the same time as me (and Saber/Striker and others), but the others at the time didn't agree she was a good choice.

She also wanted to be General mod in the absence of LZ, but rest of the staff basically said no (and she didn't fill out the questionnaire that made decisions easier).

Indeed, Toyo is very familiar with the section as a whole; but for the reasons above, might have to avoid her; but we'll keep her in mind.

Even Nai's mentioned that she's a bit erratic. (This is from your sis's mouth, Toyo, not mine)

I'm assuming college begins in April for you in Singapore (or the Asiatic countries).

But yeah, hopefully we're not all busy if we do ultimately decide on you.

We should see what Voltex says about the issue of his nomination, but glad to see you're interested. 

Yes, it begins in April over there, but I'm actually studying in Australia. My semester begins tomorrow.

With that in mind, I've already addressed Giga's post regarding Toyo.

She's been up for two mod selections, yes, but ultimately the staff decided she wasn't a good fit at the time.

That may change now, but we'll have to see if that opinion has changed thus far.

I'm not dismissing her yet, but I'd like to inform you all that there are some things that do need to be considered from the past.

@Giga: I believe Toyo was considered at the same time as me (and Saber/Striker and others), but the others at the time didn't agree she was a good choice.

She also wanted to be General mod in the absence of LZ, but rest of the staff basically said no (and she didn't fill out the questionnaire that made decisions easier).

Indeed, Toyo is very familiar with the section as a whole; but for the reasons above, might have to avoid her; but we'll keep her in mind.

Even Nai's mentioned that she's a bit erratic. (This is from your sis's mouth, Toyo, not mine)

And as I recall, Gadjiltron was considered at the same time as Nai. This doesn't mean that Toyo should immediately be outside of consideration.

At the very least, she should be on the list.

And as I recall, Gadjiltron was considered at the same time as Nai. This doesn't mean that Toyo should immediately be outside of consideration.

At the very least, she should be on the list.

I already mentioned that point while you were writing this one.

She's still on the list, but just keep in mind those things from the past may still hold weight in the decisions now. 

Nai most likely had his reasons for not including her, since he/Toyo are quite close.

--

Again, this is not a sole vote by myself and Nai; the other staff members will have a say in who gets promoted, based on whomever you present to us.

Is this the part where I ask for a shot at my old job? At the very least, have an actual discussion about it instead of the "toss Striker in" incident we had before? I can offer managerial skills that could help with all the working of CC. I've had my hand in working with CC for the past few years (especially when it was just Zextra when I helped with the CC rules a bit), so experience helps. And Gadjiltron would make a good CC mod based on his knowledge of the game, but I don't know much about his managerial skills. He was my second choice behind Nai for successor, so he does have a claim to it. TBH, we need both of those kinds of people on the CC team.

While i think both would fit perfectly in the mod position, i feel like Voltex would be the best choice. He is present in this section and always come up with nice cards showing he knows a lot about the game. His interaction on DP topics or the site as well is really good. Gadj may be a ruling beast and/or ocg expert but id like to see more of his work. Didnt rly see cards made by him outside some contests he participated,and while i know nothing about mtg, and coupdnt care less about learning it...i vow for voltex simply for the interaction and presence.

Is this the part where I ask for a shot at my old job? At the very least, have an actual discussion about it instead of the "toss Striker in" incident we had before? 

Because I never formally commented on this whole incident, I may as well do so now.

The common misconception is that we were just sitting around in the mod forum and ended up saying fuck it, promote Striker cause why not. Contrarily there was a 3-step process in how it actually went down. Mugen suggested the idea for whatever reason he had at the time. I then entertained the idea for a while, at first however I was hesitant because the kid is hated by everyone and their fucking brother. I eventually realized it would be highly hypocritical of me to constantly represent this concept of staff election not being a popularity contest, so I decided not to delegate based on that knowledge. With that being addressed I looked into what you've done for the section at hand and in comparison it was far more than most of the potential moderators. And that's why I chose to vouch for you specifically, because you've done the most for your section. In the end the rest of the mods gave the go ahead, I've no idea whether or not they appropriately considered or researched enough about the situation, however when evilfusion made that statement about "tossing you in" or whatever the fuck, understand that one moderator doesn't speak for the entire team. 

So yeah, it wasn't arbitrary and I was the one who vouched for you. And yes, from what I saw while you were on the team, I do think you had/have the potential to be a really good moderator. What I really fucking detest however is the fact that rather than blaming the members who hated you so much they weren't even open to the slightest possibility that you could be beneficial to the section for your short comings, you instead seem to have the illogical notion in your head that I (being the one who vouched for you) am somehow to blame for believing that you would make for a good moderator. And yes, the rest of the staff may not have put much thought into promoting you, that much is true, but at the very least they trusted you enough to give you a shot, I don't think many of the members who were so adamantly against you could say the same. 

In actuality, your name has come up multiple times in the mod forum recently, clearly you do have assets that would be beneficial to us. Every time it's happened however, it's immediately disregarded seeing as though we know that the members wouldn't approve of it. 

Don't forget why you were demoted, it wasn't because we didn't want you, it's because the members didn't. Asking us whether or not you can get get your position back is irrelevant, ask the members. 

Don't forget why you were demoted, it wasn't because we didn't want you, it's because the members didn't. Asking us whether or not you can get get your position back is irrelevant, ask the members. 

I personally like Striker and feel he would be a pretty good mod. He's diligent (from what I've seen), obviously has experience, and while unlike Volt he doesn't know much about MtG (to my knowledge), he's very willing to help new people out (not that Volt isn't willing to help new people out). 

While i think both would fit perfectly in the mod position, i feel like Voltex would be the best choice. He is present in this section and always come up with nice cards showing he knows a lot about the game. His interaction on DP topics or the site as well is really good. Gadj may be a ruling beast and/or ocg expert but id like to see more of his work. Didnt rly see cards made by him outside some contests he participated,and while i know nothing about mtg, and coupdnt care less about learning it...i vow for voltex simply for the interaction and presence.

Volt would be my choice of the two. Gadj's almost always helped me out on ocg, which is an area I lack in. On one of my old accounts he literally commented on basically every card I made with very good suggestions on how to balance that it. Which would make you think I would want Gadj; however with the fact that Gadj would be busy, I think Volt would be the better choice. 

Here's the thing.

As I mentioned, I have zero knowledge on MtG or Vanguard (I may ask Nai for assistance in the latter); but given only veteran members really frequent that section, keeping an eye on things in there isn't much of a priority. However, it is always a nice asset to have, in case things do pick up in that regard. 

You don't NEED experience in the game, but it'll help if more members comes in and someone needs to pick up quality control in there regarding balancing issues and other stuff. The MtG stuff is mentioned, because a bulk of you play the game also.

I rarely go in there, because I know nothing (most I can do in there is just keep tabs on generic behavior/rule breaking issues). Of course, if the Naruto CCG ever got back to life (which I highly doubt) and show interest on YCM, my skills in that section would be of some use; but as of now, it's just there.

@Striker: As much as I'd love to have you back on the team, a lot of the members who voted against you would have a fit. 

You did very well keeping 1v1s in order, but more needed to be done for the other areas, which J-Max mentioned during that last vote.

That's not to say you ignored the other areas, but simply that you need to do more in them, if we ever chose you.

What areas does a CC mod take care of ?

Everything in the Custom Cards area; whatever forums you see there are the places you're responsible for.

Advanced / Casual / DP and both contest forums (and any subsections).

Some get more activity than others though.

Thanks to Giga for recommending me as a mod. I'm still very much interested in the position of CC Modship, if that's not clear. While I haven't been very active in CC lately, I do have a lot of experience with the section, probably more than Volt and Gadj, as well as having done several things in the past to make the place better.

Well, first and foremost, I do have several plans in my mind to better CC, both in terms of quality and amount of members posting, mostly related to Casual Cards and increasing standards there so that it's more than "Advanced Cards but shittier".  When it comes to YGO Knowledge I'm probably behind compared to Gadj and Voltex, but that doesn't mean I don't know card design. While I'm not as good as, say, Black or Koko, I do have confidence in my knowledge of card design.

As an added bonus I can also moderate the RP section, which with Aix leaving and Nai being busy might be a welcome addition.

That said, I fully support both Gadj and Voltex to be a mod.

I've asked both Nai and Aix if they needed any help while the former is busy, but they didn't respond.

Though Nai did say that Aix should be fine running things on his own; remember that I do not frequent RPs/Fanfics, so can't say if the activity requires it.

Indeed though, Casual needs some standards to keep members around.

That used to be the Pop Culture section, mind you, but it worked because most stuff in there was more/less casual play and things; only a few of us applied RC logic.

We'll keep this open for a while, so you all have a chance to weigh in on this.

In the meantime, the staff will discuss candidates as they are made available to us.

I'll give my full thoughts later, but I do wanna make something perfectly clear;

Whoever gets the position should feel free to ask me, and I believe Koko, for assistance in the design department. Koko's better than I am, but I still know my fair bit, and I'm perfectly willing to help any of the CC nods out with a call on design of a card(s) that was reported/seems like it might need to move sections, or the like. Even Sakura and Zextra.

black for cc mod king

First of all, thanks for your nomination for a CC modship.

I fully support Toyo and Gadjiltron for modship, but if I had to pick, I would go for Toyo first.

Regarding me, I'm willing to take the position. As I have pointed out before, I don't consider myself an expert on card design yet, but I'm constantly learning and working on it. However, I'm confident with my overall YGO knowledge (Official Card Grammar, current and upcoming cards, etc. ) plus I keep an eye on the megatame to more or less understand what's going on and the general direction of the game, even if I don't duel competitively.

As a regular member I already try to promote activity on the CC section with occasional reviews, card making, and my almost-monthly card contests. Similar to Toyo, I have a couple ideas/projects in mind for CC but I have not suggested yet them because I believe they would need the assistance of mods, and thus I feel it would be unfair to merely suggest ideas and leave them all of the work; as a mod I would be able to take care of them by myself.

As for why I'm not as active in other sections, that's because, unlike about 90% of the YCM community, I'm actually here because of YGO, so naturally I frequent the CC and TCG sections. However, I sometimes venture to other sections and it is of my interest to become more active over there. For instance, I once joined a RP and I would join another one if there was any project that caught my interest, and I have been considering joining the Pokemon Showdown club (but I have not even made a showdown account yet) since I'm a bit into competitive Pokemon, or at least the theory behind it.

To be honest, I joined for Yugioh based things also, mostly for custom stuff, because I knew almost nothing about the competitive game back in 2009.

Only with time, did I bother to venture into the other sections, and even now, there are some areas where I rarely venture into.

So yeah, being a mod doesn't mean you HAVE to venture into other sections. By that logic, a lot of the older staff never went outside their areas, from what I can recall.

Night's a Super, but he sticks to GFX (well it's his home on YCM, so...) a lot of the time, so nothing wrong there.

Gadjiltron has some nice sides and actually seems to want to improve the section. But given how Gadjiltron approaches situations I wouldnt want him as a moderator. But rather a member of high standing that edges people on. Maybe give him the ability to reward users with points and stuff to promote newbies with quality cards to change their title colors and stuff.

Moderation comes with scorn that is inherent to the position. A user who is actively attempting to better the section is someone I believe who shouldn't have that on them.

I have no idea who or what Voltrex is. Incomplete knowledge of this user.

Archived