Potential 4th CC moderator

Moderation comes with scorn that is inherent to the position. A user who is actively attempting to better the section is someone I believe who shouldn't have that on them.

I don't have much of an opinion, being as I don't CC really. But I'd like to mention. This is so very wrong. I know very few of the current mods that have any actual scorn towards them more than anyone else.

And it's so backwards to not want someone trying to better the section be a mod.

That being said, I will just say that any of the candidates could work, though again I am not around that section so my opinion isn't as relevant. Just had to mention this one thing.

I don't have much of an opinion, being as I don't CC really. But I'd like to mention. This is so very wrong. I know very few of the current mods that have any actual scorn towards them more than anyone else.

And it's so backwards to not want someone trying to better the section be a mod.

That being said, I will just say that any of the candidates could work, though again I am not around that section so my opinion isn't as relevant. Just had to mention this one thing.

You are correct.

And incorrect all the same.

CC is a section that's hard to moderate because, should you crack down on it (you should), you are prone to a lot of scorn. From experience, it actually worsened both how I handled people and my self-esteem due to the sheer volume of work, and said volume increasing the number of people that you can potentially piss off exponentially.

Even as-is, Sakura has a fair bit of scorn, even though Icy and I are the only ones willing to say it.

Any ex-CC mod would tell you such. Sakura, Ain, and Zextra might not but Striker certainly would (albeit for a different reason), Icy would, Koko would, I would, and I believe J-Max would.

I get both of your points, but you really cannot count CC the same as another moderation position considering how you deal with a greater volume of people (at least in theory), due to being the portal to the rest of the site.

Because I never formally commented on this whole incident, I may as well do so now.

The common misconception is that we were just sitting around in the mod forum and ended up saying fuck it, promote Striker cause why not. Contrarily there was a 3-step process in how it actually went down. Mugen suggested the idea for whatever reason he had at the time. I then entertained the idea for a while, at first however I was hesitant because the kid is hated by everyone and their fucking brother. I eventually realized it would be highly hypocritical of me to constantly represent this concept of staff election not being a popularity contest, so I decided not to delegate based on that knowledge. With that being addressed I looked into what you've done for the section at hand and in comparison it was far more than most of the potential moderators. And that's why I chose to vouch for you specifically, because you've done the most for your section. In the end the rest of the mods gave the go ahead, I've no idea whether or not they appropriately considered or researched enough about the situation, however when evilfusion made that statement about "tossing you in" or whatever the fuck, understand that one moderator doesn't speak for the entire team. 

So yeah, it wasn't arbitrary and I was the one who vouched for you. And yes, from what I saw while you were on the team, I do think you had/have the potential to be a really good moderator. What I really fucking detest however is the fact that rather than blaming the members who hated you so much they weren't even open to the slightest possibility that you could be beneficial to the section for your short comings, you instead seem to have the illogical notion in your head that I (being the one who vouched for you) am somehow to blame for believing that you would make for a good moderator. And yes, the rest of the staff may not have put much thought into promoting you, that much is true, but at the very least they trusted you enough to give you a shot, I don't think many of the members who were so adamantly against you could say the same. 

In actuality, your name has come up multiple times in the mod forum recently, clearly you do have assets that would be beneficial to us. Every time it's happened however, it's immediately disregarded seeing as though we know that the members wouldn't approve of it. 

Don't forget why you were demoted, it wasn't because we didn't want you, it's because the members didn't. Asking us whether or not you can get get your position back is irrelevant, ask the members.

In hindsight, I should have explicitly said who that post was directed to. It was directed to the normal members since to them, I was tossed in. I did read all that stuff when I was promoted, so I know what happened. I remember what happened quite well, and I don't blame you guys at all so I apologize if it sounds like that. As for blaming the members responsible, I knew that won't get me anywhere so I really don't. I just go on hoping for the best.

I would say more, but I'm tired atm. x_x

Its less literal/against and more pressure. Me, William, James, Scott, Hunter, etc were all adamant cardmakers and active in more than a moderation capacity but as time drew on (between 1 month and 3 months) it became less about enjoying our section and more about keeping it clean from scoundrels. We had our projects, our little endeavors but one factor or another meant people avoided us or felt obligated to get our attention and validation. I did all I could to avoid those trappings, keeping a schedule of 1 card every 3 days, even going so far as to outsource the moderation in my own thread if it was reasonable), but it all but fell. The joy gets sucked out...

Not to say these factors will happen to Gadjiltron should he be accepted; Koko and Black seemed to have avoided it for the most part. Thats of his own decision. I see him as qualified yes. But I am afraid for him. Don't sacrifice your enjoyment for duty when someone else can do it just as well.

Well, I spoke to Night and he didn't seem opposed, so here goes.

I'd like to test candidates, whether named here or simply ambitious with some cards to assess the design, flavor, and implications of. This doesn't address leadership concerns, but it does allows insight into what we're working with at the base. Feel free to answer as many or as few as you want, this is just my attempt to aid the CC/Ex-CC moderators in figuring out who has the know-how to help the section.

I also want to mention that anyone should feel free to try. Yes, we have some people listed here, but that doesn't mean there isn't a sleeper choice that could present itself.

Please PM any answers to the following members:
Myself
Icyblue
Kokomoe
Sakura Haruno
ηiηαηαi ηαηαѕнi (just c/p this into the pm box, or just start from their profile then add everyone else)
Zextra
Night

Again, this is just a request so that the ex-CC moderators can make a response based on empirical results and the current CC moderators can do the same while considering what the elected would add to the section.

I have 5 of my own with varying levels and quality of content to be reviewed, but I'd encourage any of the listed (bar Night, but yeah) to put their own up if they so wish. Flavor, impact, design, and implication are all things that can and should be addressed. And please treat these cards as if they were posted in AC, not CC.

[spoiler=CCMT-CC001]Ringing Knight, Closhnoir
DARK
Level 6
Scale 8/8
Warrior/Pendulum
Pendulum Effect: Unless you have a Normal Pendulum card in your other Pendulum Zone, this card's Pendulum Scale becomes 6. When this card is activated: You can activate one of these effects: 
● Target 1 face-up Pendulum Monster or 1 card in either players' Pendulum Zone: Banish that target, then all monsters you control gain ATK equal to the level of that banished monster x200. 
● Your opponent selects and banishes 1 face-up Pendulum Monster Card from their Extra Deck (if they have any) and 1 face-down Card from their Extra Deck (if they have any).
Lore: Each swing of the pendulum enlightened him more and more to the truth. As the clock rang 3, he brandished his drenched blade, his task finally clear.
2350/1950
[/spoiler][spoiler=CCMT-CC002]Xj3oLSW.jpg
D/D Pandora
DARK
Level 5
Fiend/Effect
If this card you control is sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card (by battle or effect) while all monsters you control are "D/D" monsters (if any): You can draw 2 cards. You can discard this card: Banish 1 "Covenant" card from your deck, and if you do, send 1 "D/D" monster from your deck to the Graveyard. You can only use 1 "D/D Pandora" effect per turn, and only once that turn.
1700/2100
[/spoiler][spoiler=CCMT-CC003]FspHpWq.jpg
Number 38: August Chick Dragoon
FIRE
Rank 1
Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect
2 Level 1 Monsters
When this card is Special Summoned from the Graveyard: You can draw 1 card, then return this card to the Extra Deck. You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; This card gains 1000 ATK for each monster your opponent controls until the end of the turn, but it cannot attack directly during this turn, and it is destroyed during the End Phase. During the next Standby Phase after this card is destroyed; Special Summon this card and 1 Level 1 Monster from your Graveyard, but the effect of the other monster Special Summoned by this effect is negated. You can only use each effect of "Number 38: August Chick Dragoon" once per turn.
300/300 
[/spoiler][spoiler=CCMT-CC004]peHgjej.jpg
Quickplay Spell
Target 1 face-up Fusion Monster on the field: Add 1 of the Fusion Materials listed on that card from your Graveyard to your hand, and if it was a Normal Monster, you can Special Summon it, but it cannot declare an attack this turn and cannot be used for a Summon, except the summon of a Fusion Monster. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can return this card to the bottom of your deck to target 1 "Fusion" Spell Card or "Polymerization" Spell Card in your Graveyard; Return that target to your hand. You can only use 1 effect of "Fusion Soul" per turn, and only once that turn.
[/spoiler][spoiler=CCMT-CC005]kXV6n2j.jpg
Normal Trap
If a card you control is destroyed (by battle or card effect): Target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, if a card you control is destroyed (by battle or effect): You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it.
[/spoiler]
Good luck. I hope to see the crème de la crème cropping up.

EDIT: and please post your thoughts on INTENT as well. Understanding a person may make understanding their design easier, and thus make it easier to tackle in the flavor they desire.

Just to say that I totally agree with Josh. At first it felt great to watch my favorite section and to offer my input in the Mod Forum. After a while though it started to become a serious chore. The time when I was alone was easily the worst part of my time here; I felt swept off my feet with the Reports and having to put my foot down on making sure CC was at its best.

This was a time when people would post any old crap including 9999/9999 Goku Cards in Pop Culture. It was up to me to make sure it was tidy. After a while I hated it. Scott was always there as moral support but it wasn't enough....

To anyone who gets offered the chance to be a Mod. Please think it over, being a Mod is nice and all but it is a Job and not a Status Symbol. Also please do not become corrupted.... Please be the same person you was before becoming a Mod.

If I could turn back time and was still a Mod? I would have handed my reign over to Josh and Will because it was starting to leak into my personal Life too. 

Just to say that I totally agree with Josh. At first it felt great to watch my favorite section and to offer my input in the Mod Forum. After a while though it started to become a serious chore. The time when I was alone was easily the worst part of my time here; I felt swept off my feet with the Reports and having to put my foot down on making sure CC was at its best.

This was a time when people would post any old crap including 9999/9999 Goku Cards in Pop Culture. It was up to me to make sure it was tidy. After a while I hated it. Scott was always there as moral support but it wasn't enough....

To anyone who gets offered the chance to be a Mod. Please think it over, being a Mod is nice and all but it is a Job and not a Status Symbol. Also please do not become corrupted.... Please be the same person you was before becoming a Mod.

If I could turn back time and was still a Mod? I would have handed my reign over to Josh and Will because it was starting to leak into my personal Life too.

i had that same experience because alfred was useless and koko couldn't be on

but with the added side of enforcing the advanced clause

it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

/bestatsellingthepositionobv

No offense to the others, but I think this explained the point the best. I'm not sure WHY I understand it better than what the others said, but just wanted to mention it and say thanks for saying it like this.

Sorry if this is spam but I just felt like going beyond a "like" to express that this is a good point.

Indeed, I've been told that I've gotten a bit colder in personality after getting promoted.

But I'd like to reiterate that I'm still the same person I was, prior to July 2014; just that I have the added responsibility of keeping things in order.

(Definitely needed, since Zex more/less left it open during his absences because of university and stuff)

Anyway, we're looking at the candidates at the moment and seeing how we feel about each of them.

Again, if you think someone else would be a fitting candidate, then speak up and we'll consider them as well in the discussions.

I'm basically irrelevant but I'm a Pokemon Showdown mod, which sure does keep you on your toes, and this is most certainly true.

Seriously, be careful before you take mods. You need to be pretty damn good at arguing with people, pretty damn good at dealing with unpleasant people and pretty damn good at making unpopular decisions and sticking to them. You're in a sea of sharks because people inherently want their own way and will disagree with you. Honestly being a PS mod has made me pretty cynical about people (well, mainly internet users) because I've dealt with so many stubborn morons who love to oppose anything you say and just will not shut up about something. It's not all it's cracked up to be, there are some really tough times.

That's not to say you shouldn't go for it if you want to. I've had some great times, still do, and there's a massive satisfaction of being able to help out and being part of the big picture. I have basically no idea who any of the nominees are but I'm sure they're all cool, but I'd warn all of you to think twice before you commit yourself because it's nowhere near as easy as it seems. I wish the best of luck to the eventual winner, and with that I'm back out of this discussion and I probably won't get involved again.

Believe it or not, I was a moderator on a Pokemon RPG a couple months prior to being promoted here (I still retain the position concurrently, although things are slow lately).

Honestly though, I don't feel any different because of it; but mainly because the place is essentially dead, especially now.

Indeed, there've been some cases with members who thought they knew better with what should go on in the game; and there have been a few arguments from time to time.

So yeah, I've seen my fair share of crap from people as a mod. (Although in a similar vein to here, I'm usually the only one doing stuff at the time, because either the other staff quit or too busy with their own things). 

And yeah, there have been the occasional bans for members who really cause problems.

--------

At least here, I have Nai's help to some extent (even if he is busy with work), but I digress. 

To be honest, I've no real gripes with the current candidates, so I should be looking forward to working with whomever takes this; if needed.

Otherwise, there are other ways you can help out CC and YCM in general that doesn't involve taking a modship.

For later reference, if you're interested in the position yourself, make sure that you state your intent in this thread BEFORE opting to take any of the above tests (such as Black's one).

Essentially, make it clear that you're interested in here first, so other members do not make a riot out of things if you happen to be promoted, and no one knew about this.

And obviously, make sure you're familiar with how CC is formatted, and are willing to make changes.

Archived