Song Lyric Set 1 [Written]

Tinkerer

So, yeah. I decided to make a set of cards based on the lyrics of a song. Just know, they don't work together, but I wanted to post them to see if anyone can guess the song!

[spoiler='Song Cards']

Another Turning Point
Counter Trap
If a card is activated that would negate one of your card effects, negate the effect of that card and destroy it.

A Fork Stuck in the Road
Continuous Spell
During your Standby Phase: Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent cannot Special Summon next turn. If tails, you cannot Special Summon this turn. This effect is still applied even if this card leaves the field.

Directions from the Timelord
Continuous Spell
During your draw phase, before you draw, you may add the top card from your graveyard to your hand instead of conducting a normal draw. During your end phase, send the top card from your deck to the graveyard. Destroy this card during your 3rd Standby Phase after activation.

Still-frames of the Mind
Spell
Target 1 monster on the field. The card's controller Special Summons a photo token (ATK 0/DEF 0). Its type, level, and attribute are the same as the targetted monster's. It cannot be destroyed by battle. Banish the targetted monster. If the token is removed from the field, Special Summon the monster banished by this effect.

Toast to Good Health and Good Times! (yeah, I too doubt this name could fit well on a card)
Spell
Offer your opponent a handshake. If they accept your handshake, both players gain 1500 life points. If not, both players take 1500 damage.

Trial of Dead Skin Dark/****
Fiend/Effect
If this card destroys a monster in battle, equip the monster to this card instead of sending it to the graveyard. This card gains 600 ATK for every monster equipped to it. During your standby phase, pay 300 lifepoints per monster equipped or destroy this card.
ATK 1300/DEF 1800

Something Unpredictable...
Counter Trap
When your opponent declares an attack, you may activate this card. Roll a dice.
6: Gain life points equal to the attack of the attacking monster then send all monsters they control to the graveyard.
5: Gain life points equal to the attack of the attacking monster then end the battle phase.
4: Gain life points equal to the attack of the attacking monster then negate the attack.
3: Discard a card. Damage from that attack is doubled.
2: Banish all copies of "Something Unpredictable..." from your hand, deck or graveyard. Discard a card. Damage from that attack is doubled.
1: Discard your hand. All battle damage is doubled this turn.

Time of your life
Trap
Both players skip their next Main and Battle Phases. Neither player may activate cards during those turns.

[/spoiler]

You can CnC on the cards themselves if you wish, talk about their aesthetics or guess the song! Whoever guesses it correct can give me a (non-wordless) song (in English) for me to do on my next set!

I'll try to review each card separately:

"Another Turning Point"

Although this Counter-Trap Card is limited to what cards it can be chained at, it is stronger than "Counter Counter", negating any kind of card. If it negates a card that would negate a specific kind of card of effect, then the card becomes more balanced. If not, maybe consider making it similar to "Wiretap"...? Or, you can include an interesting cost, e.g. to shuffle a card on your field into your Deck or to shuffle a random card from your hand into your Deck. 
--------------------
"A Fork Stuck in the Road"

This card seems to have a fair effect. It's of no harm, though, if used in decks that do not depend on SS, like Monarch-styled ones. However, such decks are low in number and not that fast.
  Everything looks fine so far, but what happens if it's the opponent who cannot SS during their turn? The turn player will be freer on their plays, thus gaining a turn's advantage and possibly preventing the opponent from making any considerable move, mostly like skipping an entire turn.

Concluding, there has to be a stricter limitation to the card's controller in order to balance the latter situation. This can be a limitation to the activation of effects or cards, or an added limitation to the kinds of Summoning the player can make. In addition, if you intend to keep it a mandatory effect, make it activate during your Standby Phase or at the start of your Main Phase 1 to prevent any possible automatic SS. However, "Flame Tiger", "Tachyon Chaos Hole" and maybe other cards would be a problem, so the mandatory factor may most possibly not exist.
--------------------
"Directions from the Timelord"

Well, this card needs to be seen carefully... First of all, the best case scenario: You mill the top card of your Deck, your Graveyard is not messed up, you know if the card you milled will benefit you or not. A very unbalanced perspective of the card, contrary to cards like "Big Eye" and "Spellbook Organization", which pre-order your cards, hoping everything goes according to plan. "Destiny Hero - Diamond Dude" can benefit you as well, but basically, no card is sent to your Grayard, so it's a more balanced card.
  Secondly, the worst case scenario: You mill a card, your Graveyard is messed up, you just draw for your Normal Draw. Either the top card in your Graveyard does not benefit you, or it is more useful in your Graveyard. Again, too beneficial. So, you may not even consider this 'the worst'.

Almost any deck would benefit from this card. There should be an unusual cost or drawback to it in order to be fair, otherwise it is very unbalanced.
---------------------
"Still-frames of The Mind"

Ok, this card has to be a trollish one. Banishing a monster just to replace it with a non-Effect Clone Token with 0 ATK/DEF points? Your monster been banished, activate "Dark Hole" or "Torrential Tribute" and Summon the banished monster back. An opponent's monster been banished, it becomes useless unless Special Summoned back if the Token gets destroyed. And what if you use CED or "Vulcan the Divine" on it? Piercers would also laugh at this card. And above all, this card does not target?
  Only with an empty field and hand would this card be fair, but even if that's the case, how would a simple monster-removal card benefit?
----------------------
"Toast to Good Health and Good Times!"

Offering a handshake, not a bad idea. Only "Yu-Jo Friendship" uses that mechanism, so it would be nice having one more card that works this way...
  Referring to its effect, the only times someone may use it would be: When they want to trick the opponent into denying the handshake (making it your winning turn) or when they can't afford to take the damage so you'd just benefit. And what about the Burn Decks? "Nurse Reficule the Fallen One", "Bad Reaction to Simochi" and so on. Deadly combos that make this card rather unbalanced.

About the title: "A Tricky Deal" or "Mutual Fate", the best I could come up with.
-----------------------
"Trial of Dead Skin"

A pretty balanced monster, I must say. Mid to low ATK points, effect dedicated to battle and the destroyed monster doesn't go to the Graveyard. It prevent specific effects from activating and gains some ATK points after a successful battle. On top of that, a maintenance cost, which though might be a bit high. After 2 monsters have been attached to this monster, the payment gets out of control (if it manages to destroy any monster at first place with such a mediocre ATK). Most of the times, it would need some ATK boost so that it can battle the many stronger than it monsters with ease, which boost would raise the cost a lot.
  Generally, lowering the ATK gained by the equipped monsters (or the cost, if possible) would not be a problem.
----------------------
"Something Unpredictable..."

Let's see each effect separately, according to the roll result:
6: Gain Life Points, then a better "Mirror Force"? No defence left, either? No way.
5: "Negate Attack" with the LP bonus. It's a matter of luck, so it's ok.
4: A good effect. Contrary to "Changing Destiny", there's only the LP gain without the battle position's change, but it's still balanced.
3: Luck was not on your side. More damage for now. Oh wait, a Discard effect? You forgot to drop "Necro Gardna" earlier?
2: Would there be any possibility that you'd turn the tables if your only hope was this Trap Card? Better change this effect instead.
1: Too few cards in your hand, so not a big deal... But still, double damage. Ok, seriously?

To sum up: Many benefits, many drawbacks. Either way, a very risky card that noone would like to use. And a Counter Trap too? It's best to loosen all its effects, else change its overall prospect.
--------------------
"Time of your life"

So, what this card actually says is: "Make your setup, activate me and laugh as the opponent will most definitely sit back quietly, while you trigger your effects." I would like to imagine this card been used as a stall-for-time case, but cannot help it but re-think of the idea. 

If I should describe the whole set with one word, that would be: Weird. I understand they're Experimental Cards, but I couldn't help being strict at many of the cards-hopefully for the best. Anyways, may it end well.

Changed some cards, kept others the same,
All hopefully for the fun of the game!

Changes:
Directions from the Timelord has a 3-turn limit.

Still-frames now has the token's summon as a cost (so no chaining emptiness to it) and when the token is removed from the field the monster comes back (honestly, I meant to do that in the first place, dunno what happened). Still no answer to piercing attackers, but oh well!

The burn for trial of dead skin is halved.

Time of your life locks down card activations as well. Honestly, it's probably a huge boon for Exodia.dek more than anything else though.

The ones I didn't change I feel are too conditional/risky/combo-dependant enough as is. Thanks for the CnC!

I like how you managed to balance the cards.

I won't critisize them, just some observations I made:

"Still-frames of the Mind": It's certainly improved, however the correct way to write it is: First target the monster, then banish it, then SS the Token. And for the Piercers, I personally would make the Token have a minimal amount of ATK/DEF.

"Time of your life": The way you re-wrote it basically means that 2 turns will just be skipped, except by the effects that may activate during the Draw/Standby/End Phases.

I can't change the way you feel about the condtional/risky/combo-dependant cards, but since they weren't changed a bit I hardly can change mine too.

Archived