[Archetype] Kono Diabel Da!

Aix

An archetype based entirely around bluffing and making your opponent guess. It's probably a Deck that would be much more fun played in real life, but should still be entertaining in Duel Portal (at least entertaining to me). I've uploaded them to Duel Portal public. 8 cards for now, but might make more.
[hr][spoiler=Diabel Lilith]Thz4E28.png
You can Set this card without a Tribute. During your opponent’s turn, when this card is sent to the Graveyard: Add 1 “Diabel” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Diabel Lilith”, and inflict 400 damage to your opponent. If a “Diabel” monster would be destroyed, you can banish this card in your hand instead.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Diabel Aello]EGCDm26.png
You can Set this card without a Tribute. When this card is flipped face-up: Special Summon 1 “Diabel” monster from your Deck in Attack Position, it loses 800 ATK and banish it when it leaves the field, also inflict 500 damage to your opponent. You can discard this card to target 1 “Diabel” monster you control; it can attack directly this turn.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Diabel Lamia]5y61inh.png
You can Set this card without a Tribute. When this Set card leaves the field because of an opponent’s card effect: You can Special Summon this card and destroy 1 card on the field, also inflict 1200 damage to your opponent. If a Set monster would be destroyed, you can discard this card instead.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Diabel Circe]WcYtUzH.png
When this card is flipped face-up: Target 1 monster your opponent controls and discard 1 “Diabel” card; take control of that target, and if this card was flipped face-up by an attack, draw 1 card and inflict 700 damage to your opponent. You can discard this card; change the battle position of 1 monster on the field.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Diabel Hecate]lZZVVdN.png
2 Level 5 Fiend-Type monsters
Once per turn, when a “Diabel” or Set card is targeted for an attack or effect: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate that attack or effect, and if you do, destroy it, then, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Diabel Shrine]fCT2rON.png
You can Set 1 monster in addition to your Normal Summon/ Set. Once per turn, during your opponent’s Standby Phase: You can reveal 1 “Diabel” monster in your hand and declare 1 card name; this turn, if your opponent Summons or activates the effect of a card with that name, or if a “Diabel” monster with that name activates its effects or leaves the field, add 1 “Diabel” card from your Deck to your hand, also, inflict 600 damage to your opponent.
[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Diabel Hounds]SEVwrqX.png
Reveal 1 Set “Diabel” card and target 1 card on the field; destroyt that target or inflict 1000 damage to your opponent, then you can reveal 1 “Diabel” monster in your hand, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent, also, banish the destroyed card (if any). You can only activate 1 “Diabel Hounds” per turn.[/spoiler][hr][spoiler=Lamb of the Diabel]BD8XvSW.png
When this card is used as Synchro Material and at least 1 other Synchro Material is a “Diabel” monster OR when this card is Tributed for a Tribute Summon/Set: Draw 2 cards. This effect can only be activated once per turn and cannot be activated the turn this card was placed on the field.[/spoiler][hr]

I feel that quite a bit of the spot removal here should target, for the sake of game health. An arms race with increasingly accessible non-targeting removal is not a good thing to have.

Hecate seems a bit invincible in addition to having a good statline, which should probably be fixed a bit (mostly because I'm miffed that attacking herself procs the effect). You could give her a little compensation, as I recognize that that is where the entirety of her power budget is. Both of Shrine's effects seem quite good, especially the Prohibition effect, but I get the feeling that in actual play the first effect is much stronger and as good if not better than the second effect, so I am a little wary about the card. I can think of a couple ways to tweak the card (retaining the ability to give some speed as well as fetch) by shifting the abilities around a bit, but maybe you'd have ideas yourself as well.

Hounds should probably ideally not be able to randomly burn for 2k. You do a lot of residual damage as is. The frontloaded damage as 1k is fine but the freebie damage really doesn't need to be, at least imo.

The auto-set guys are fine, as is Circe. It's not like you can really bluff Circe except another card as Circe (which is very cute and also doesn't make Circe herself too strong).

I feel that quite a bit of the spot removal here should target, for the sake of game health. An arms race with increasingly accessible non-targeting removal is not a good thing to have.

I'll definitely make Hounds target and decrease the burn, though I like the non-targeting on Lamia.

Hecate seems a bit invincible in addition to having a good statline, which should probably be fixed a bit (mostly because I'm miffed that attacking herself procs the effect). You could give her a little compensation, as I recognize that that is where the entirety of her power budget is.

Yeah, I'll probably decrease her ATK to like 2400.

Both of Shrine's effects seem quite good, especially the Prohibition effect, but I get the feeling that in actual play the first effect is much stronger and as good if not better than the second effect, so I am a little wary about the card. I can think of a couple ways to tweak the card (retaining the ability to give some speed as well as fetch) by shifting the abilities around a bit, but maybe you'd have ideas yourself as well.

I actually think Shrine is fine, there's no actual speed in this Deck, and you don't benefit all that much from Setting more than once. The second effect is funny, but is just a conditional +1 that also reveals your card to your opponent, which is counterproductive to your goals.

I was thinking of actually running a build with randomly good annoying dorks that would be less good typically, like either a Gravekeeper engine or Geargia engine. This is in light of that, because it feels personally really super-plus-level if I get to bluff these level 5s and simultaneously represent either GK Spy or Geargiarmor. GK seems especially good as Recruiter is very good tribute fodder for Circe, making her a little easier to play. This is where my concern with Shrine comes from, as if you were running a relatively pure-ish deck it's of no concern whatsoever. But! That's a thing that'd want more playtesting than theoretical design.

Diabel lamia is well... Lame.
Relying on getting destroyed by an opponents card effect for a pay off that isn't really worth it isnt very good, especially since the second effect isn't the best either.
I would just try to spice it up a bit somehow, make it interesting.

How is the payoff not worth it? The way I see it, Lamia plays a couple of key roles in the deck.

Its existence discourages you from attempting to kill Set cards, as the destruction is worth at least 1.5 cards in return.

It's a 2500 beatstick when flipped face-up and 1700 when SS'd by Aello, which is bigger than the other bodies offensively.

It protects against effects that would attempt to kill your Set cards from the hand, which is actually pretty valuable.

And its downside is pretty notable too since it has 0 DEF, which makes the bluff game all the more interesting. It doesn't seem flashy at first glance, but is very effective.

How is the payoff not worth it? The way I see it, Lamia plays a couple of key roles in the deck.

Its existence discourages you from attempting to kill Set cards, as the destruction is worth at least 1.5 cards in return.
It's a 2500 beatstick when flipped face-up and 1700 when SS'd by Aello, which is bigger than the other bodies offensively.
It protects against effects that would attempt to kill your Set cards from the hand, which is actually pretty valuable.

And its downside is pretty notable too since it has 0 DEF, which makes the bluff game all the more interesting. It doesn't seem flashy at first glance, but is very effective.

Problem is that set card removal isn't very relevant.
The payoff is ok but it doesnt really help your own plays much since its just removal and burn.
Idk I just thought it was bland and situational.

Ehhhh ... okay, so. Your opponent plays against this deck and plays, I dunno, Black Rose Dragon or Scrap Dragon instead of attacking into your guy. What do you even do? Your opponent will not want to attack into your monsters without sufficient preparation after some experience, which is why Lamia occupies an effective role. It's good against attempted removal of your Set monsters, both from the hand and from the field.

Ehhhh ... okay, so. Your opponent plays against this deck and plays, I dunno, Black Rose Dragon or Scrap Dragon instead of attacking into your guy. What do you even do? It's good against attempted removal of your Set cards (read: monsters), both from the hand and from the field. Your opponent will not want to attack into your monsters without sufficient preparation after some experience, which is why Lamia occupies an effective role.

Problem is that they likely won't black rose dragon 1 set card.
Its most likely to be attacked into.
And in that sense then its literally a waste of space.

But what if the Set card is something else? Your opponent doesn't know what it is. There's a disconnect of information, especially as it's a bad idea to attack into most of your deck since you will plus if that happens (god forbid it's a Circe).

And you're basically dodging my actual point. What about other 1-card removal effects - for example, DP's Swordmistress of Phantasm or Diamond Dire Wolf?

Problem is that set card removal isn't very relevant.
The payoff is ok but it doesnt really help your own plays much since its just removal and burn.
Idk I just thought it was bland and situational.

If anything, I won using Lamia. In addition to the things Cirrus listed, simply by Setting it allows you to get something back if your opponent decides to go with mass removal. This Deck is all about prediction and bluffing, and Lamia is a power card that if used right reaps large rewards.

I'll probably make the destruction optional, hm.

I was thinking of actually running a build with randomly good annoying dorks that would be less good typically, like either a Gravekeeper engine or Geargia engine. This is in light of that, because it feels personally really super-plus-level if I get to bluff these level 5s and simultaneously represent either GK Spy or Geargiarmor. GK seems especially good as Recruiter is very good tribute fodder for Circe, making her a little easier to play. This is where my concern with Shrine comes from, as if you were running a relatively pure-ish deck it's of no concern whatsoever. But! That's a thing that'd want more playtesting than theoretical design.

I don't mind the generic Set either. It gives speed to what is otherwise a slow move (Normal Setting). Any advantage you gain from an extra Set is quite situational. But yeah, I suppose the only way to really tell is through testing.

If anything, I won using Lamia. In addition to the things Cirrus listed, simply by Setting it allows you to get something back if your opponent decides to go with mass removal. This Deck is all about prediction and bluffing, and Lamia is a power card that if used right reaps large rewards

Eh, fair enough, I guess you can always side it out if facing something without lots of removal.

Archived