ITT: South Carolina jumps on the stupid train

Nathanael D. Striker

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBi49bs?a=1&m=EN-US

It may just be a single college in South Carolina (that we know of) denouncing homosexuality, but that does not make this any more dumb. The article does mention Baylor University (Texas) as well, so I didn't expect that. To shame their own students is despicable. Anyway, discuss

Those fucking gay people trying to attend our school and give us their money!

I mean fuck, if gay students felt comfortable attending the school before knowing the religious nature of the institution, you must be doing something right.  Why would you purposely try and alienate people?  

Weird. 

Assuming the school doesn't actually do anything and enforces the fact that any act against them for being gay is seen to be punished, they can have that belief all they want. Thats exactly what it is. A belief. Far be it from you to tell me that Spiral Macaroni doesn't feel good on the tongue (Spongebob Macaroni feels the best btw). And I'm quite certain the students were not only aware of this, but entirely expected it. Its a freaking religion focused school. Entirely private at that.

We may not personally agree, but its theirs to have and its nothing to be disgusted about. Annoyed... sure. Disgusted? Just dont go there. Its their house.

I must reiterate, if no mortal harm or beyond expected emotional consequences are brought to their well... non-traditionally-heterosexual students, then there is no cause for concern or otherwise.

Assuming the school doesn't actually do anything and enforces the fact that any act against them for being gay is seen to be punished, they can have that belief all they want. Thats exactly what it is. A belief. Far be it from you to tell me that Spiral Macaroni doesn't feel good on the tongue (Spongebob Macaroni feels the best btw). And I'm quite certain the students were not only aware of this, but entirely expected it. Its a freaking religion focused school. Entirely private at that.

We may not personally agree, but its theirs to have and its nothing to be disgusted about. Annoyed... sure. Disgusted? Just dont go there. Its their house.

I must reiterate, if no mortal harm or beyond expected emotional consequences are brought to their well... non-traditionally-heterosexual students, then there is no cause for concern or otherwise.

The article mentioned "behavioral ban". They can believe what they want, but it shouldn't negatively impact others. Oh well...

Erskine College & Theological Seminary Statement on Human Sexuality Adopted by the Erskine College Board of Trustees, Feb. 20, 2015

We believe the Bible teaches that monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is God’s intended design for humanity and that sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage.

Perspective and Context As a Christian academic community, Erskine seeks to treat all persons justly with grace, dignity, and compassion in the Spirit of Christ. Rooted in the historic Evangelical and Reformed Christian tradition, Erskine has always sought to show hospitality and respect to all members of its community, regardless of their religious or philosophical commitments.

The scriptural view of human sexuality is that God formed man and woman in His image (Gen. 1:27-28), and these two were to become one flesh (Gen. 2:23-24). Christ affirms that marital union is to be between a man and woman (Matt 19:4-6). The Bible teaches that monogamous marriage between a man and a woman is God’s intended design for humanity and that sexual intimacy has its proper place only within the context of marriage (1 Thes. 4:3-5, Col. 3:5-7). Sexual relations outside of marriage or between persons of the same sex are spoken of in scripture as sin and contrary to the will of the Creator (Rom. 1:26-27; 1 Cor. 6:9-10; 1 Tim. 1:9-11).

Erskine recognizes the complexity of current issues regarding sexual morality, marriage, and other expressions of human sexuality such as same-sex attraction, gender identity, and sex outside the covenant of marriage. Therefore, the Erskine community is advised to practice humility and prayerfulness when engaging in any conversations or other actions related to these topics. Erskine’s conduct policies and procedures seek to uphold biblical standards, promote repentance and grace, and point people to Jesus Christ.

In Action

We believe the Bible teaches that all sexual activity outside the covenant of marriage is sinful and therefore ultimately destructive to the parties involved. As a Christian academic community, and in light of our institutional mission, members of the Erskine community are expected to follow the teachings of scripture concerning matters of human sexuality and institutional decisions will be made in light of this position.

The entirety of the statement made by them. Literally nothing that outright states anything except that the schools official stance is "we dont personally like it". Nothing of a ban, or otherwise. They are a place of business as well as belief. As a place of belief, they have to uphold their own words and that they do. But as a place of business, they cannot act upon some of those beliefs. And that they appear to wont.

Further information: http://news.erskine.edu/context-for-erskines-statement-on-human-sexuality/

While the two students in questions shouldn't have revealed that fact, considering the college in question does follow the Bible to the letter; the most that the college can really do in this situation is just denounce their decision.

Indeed, it's a person's own belief if they wish to be homo/heterosexual, and even if the college in question is religious, the students have the right to be as they are.

At least they're not doing anything, except upholding their beliefs.

The school can denounce homosexuality all they want (given their nature), but the most they can do is just deny that it's proper on their campus.

They cannot force the students in question to change their orientation. 

I like how only humans decide homosexually is wrong. It's alright in other animals, I suppose because we rationally know it cannot produce children, it gets dumped as wrong, even though really it doesn't matter. 

I suppose barring homosexuals is segregation through another means, but they could never truly do that because of Anti-Discrimination rules. 

Compared to Russia, this is nothing. (I watched a documentary on the treatment of the LGBT community in Russia that made me feel sick.)

Just remember that the students in question are in a Christian university, and hopefully most, if not all of you know, how religious schools tend to function.

But indeed, it's just the students expressing their freedom of speech; which is technically protected under our First Amendment rights. There's nothing wrong with it; as long as you're not planning to spread hate speech or some other propaganda. (Here, the students are just saying that they're interesting in courting members of the same gender as them).

Runs counter to the university's goals, yes, but that's what the students want to associate with. 

They can condemn the idea of homosexuality because it runs counter to religion, yes, but definitely cannot single out or prejudice specific students because they have differing beliefs.

As the article mentioned though, that's all they can do: Condemn it in that bulletin of theirs + reiterate a heterosexual stance on the matter, but the students aren't getting any punishments or other sanctions.

----

Again, this is not just limited to this one college; other similar ones in the USA have policies that resemble Erskine's ones. 

Archived