Anime vs. Western Cartoons

[spoiler='Anime']main_ain.jpg

[/spoiler]

When I see something like that, I think: "ALL NIGHTER!  Grab the popcorn, snacks, drinks and friends.  I don't care what you're doing, everyone get here NOW!  It's ANIME time!"

[spoiler='Western Cartoon']Adventure_time_by_lanbridge-d4zc6op.jpg

[/spoiler]

When I see something like that, I think: WTF is this CR@P!!!

Now, let the debates begin.  I was just getting the juices flowing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But yeah, even western cartoons can be good...sometimes.  Good western cartoons are a dying breed, it seems, but they exist.  Kirby: Right Back At Ya.  That was the shit; I used to watch it literally every morning.

I feel like those are just nostalgia goggles. Beyond a certain threshold, the quality of a Western cartoon really doesn't matter because the majority of those Saturday morning cartoons appealed to a certain audience, followed very specific and repetitive structures. They shared incredibly similar cultural DNA that resonated with everyone that frankly any perception of their quality is just biased. Not that those cartoons were bad, but to imply that quality is diminishing is simply not true. One only has to look at Adventure Time for re-invigorated creativity and quality in Western animation.

There are many good anime and many bad anime.
There are many good cartoons and many bad cartoons.
That is really all I feel about the idea. Don't see a reason to compare.

I mean, essentially, this.

Kirby: Right Back At Ya.  That was the s***; I used to watch it literally every morning.

Fun fact: While I don't really have much to say apart from this:

That's an anime. Yeah. Really shows how similar they can be sometimes if some can misinterpret them. I mean yes, there are western cartoons based on Japanese video games, but that was not one of them. xD

*Thinks to self*

Why is it, that I can come up with any random argument, throw two popular/good examples of both sides, and get several comments within minutes, but can't get a fraction of the response when I put a huge amount of time on an archtype or set of cards after having them up over a timeline of weeks on a site named after the type of cards I'm making?  Just saying.

*stops thinking*

Couldn't have said it better.  I was just bored, so I decided to start an argument... was kinda hoping for some well thought out arguments for both sides, but whatever, people don't really care xD.

On a personal note, I tend to find most Anime (no matter the type) more interesting than most Western Cartoons of today.  To be honest, I haven't found one anime I hated (except zombies 'cause I can't stand zombie anything), though I have seen a few Anime I don't really care for.  On the other hand, I have found some Western Cartoons I thought were just terrible (not including zombies), and some I really loved.  For Anime, I find that I mostly like them, and there are a few I don't care for.  For Western Cartoons, I find that I mostly don't care for them or downright think they are boring, and there are a few I absolutely love (The Last Airbender for example or the 2003-2009 TMNT series).

I (generally) like the humor in western cartoons (Justice League and the 90's Iron Man cartoon) over the "I'm overreacting and turning chibi and waving my arms while screaming and swinging a mallet from out of nowhere" stuff in anime.

To be fair, not all anime do the whole chibi thing, and I've seen some western cartoons with the whole " 'overreacting... waving my arms while screaming and waving a mallet from out of nowhere' " I've even seen some western cartoons do their own version of chibi.  So, hehe, this is a shaky topic to debate imo.

I feel, when it gets down to it, you have to evaluate each anime and western cartoon for yourself.

To be honest western cartoons have been getting really good lately.  And by that I mean there are a handful of good ones. 

Gravity Falls is good.

Over the Garden Wall is really short, but good.

That's pretty much all I got but I know there are other ones. 

If this guy isn't trolling with SAO as a great anime pick and Adventure Time as a s*** cartoon pick, then I don't even.

well... I wouldn't call it exactly trolling, SAO is kinda my favorite Anime atm... and I couldn't watch Adventure Time 'cause I thought it was too lame.  So, that's kinda why I picked them.  I would say... I have different tastes then most people.  Which is true about a lot of stuff.  hehe.

But, I was hoping to hear some constructive arguments about the pros and cons of Anime vs Western Cartoons.

Looks like someone haven't watch Gravity Fall yet..

No I haven't.  After the few Western Cartoons that I liked ended or were taken off the air, I grew weary trying to find something in Western Cartoons that still aired that I liked.  Thus, I discovered my massive enjoyment of anime!

Anyways, this forum was to encourage peaceful debates... but all I feel I've been reading is people bashing on my style, lol, or maybe it's just me reading into people's comments.

Personally, I'm not a fan of recent Western cartoons nowadays, but then again I don't have cable so can't watch them (there's internet, but...)

Indeed, there are some good ones that I've enjoyed watching in the past (and to an extent, still do), but more/less prefer anime lately. 

Western cartoons are catered towards life on this side of the world, in which we can better relate to, because they have similar customs to what we do.

Anime uses things from the Japanese lifestyle; a few of which are opposite to what we'd do here. But it's a nice way to showcase another culture to audiences all over the world.

It's just too bad that 4Kids / some parenting groups in the US decided to "westernize" some anime and remove any Japanese content/references to make it appeal to the US and other western countries. Don't get me started on that rice ball incident or various other things.

Yes, there is still some lingering hatred towards the Japanese after seven decades ago, but at some point, you'll just have to let it go and not have it spread on to future generations.

(For that reason, I predominantly watch subtitled anime nowadays, because of what happened in the past.)

Personally, I'm not a fan of recent Western cartoons nowadays, but then again I don't have cable so can't watch them (there's internet, but...)

Indeed, there are some good ones that I've enjoyed watching in the past (and to an extent, still do), but more/less prefer anime lately. 

Western cartoons are catered towards life on this side of the world, in which we can better relate to, because they have similar customs to what we do.

Anime uses things from the Japanese lifestyle; a few of which are opposite to what we'd do here. But it's a nice way to showcase another culture to audiences all over the world.

It's just too bad that 4Kids / some parenting groups in the US decided to "westernize" some anime and remove any Japanese content/references to make it appeal to the US and other western countries. Don't get me started on that rice ball incident or various other things.

Yes, there is still some lingering hatred towards the Japanese after seven decades ago, but at some point, you'll just have to let it go and not have it spread on to future generations.

(For that reason, I predominantly watch subtitled anime nowadays, because of what happened in the past.)

That... sounds just like me.

Not gonna get into it but I'd like to point out...

*looks at title* "Western Cartoons".

Unless you mean the two things are equally as good, idk.

Nah, I prefer anime then.

But really, anime is cartoons. Fundamentally there is absolutely no difference between anime and western cartoons, except from the country of origin. It's just something that's always pissed me off, how people go to such lengths to separate the two, or try to 'make anime' when its all the same thing. Content-wise, sure they're different, but as a medium, they're equivalent.

Wrong. It can be based around anything at all.

How come when people do there highly flammable anime v western crap, you rarely mention a western cartoon from a country other than America or Canada? They aren't the only countries in the West! 

[spoiler='Anime']main_ain.jpg

[/spoiler]

When I see something like that, I think: "ALL NIGHTER!  Grab the popcorn, snacks, drinks and friends.  I don't care what you're doing, everyone get here NOW!  It's ANIME time!"

[spoiler='Western Cartoon']Adventure_time_by_lanbridge-d4zc6op.jpg

[/spoiler]

When I see something like that, I think: WTF is this CR@P!!!

Now, let the debates begin.  I was just getting the juices flowing.

I think your trolling needs more work. We will be troll school buddies :D

Archived