[Finished][SCS 11] Journey to the Reverse World [Judging / NOT ACCEPTING]

Welcome to SCS 11.

Most of you know things work in this by now; I give you a theme, you try to make it if you're up for the challenge.

Requirement

Make a card that focuses on banishing.
Remember that banishing is a powerful effect, and needs to be played around with carefully in design.

I leave the rest up to you; surprise me.

Deadline

March 20th, 2015 @ 11 pm Hawaiʻi Standard Time (GMT-10)

If you need help determining what time it'll be in your area when deadline hits, use this converter.
(Select USA - Hawaii - Honolulu in the "convert to" area; though any of the Hawaiʻi locations should yield the same time)

For safety, you may wish to submit it by the same time in your respective timezones (if it proves less confusing).
I do not foresee anyone here to live in a country between the dateline and Hawaiʻi (in which you're behind my timezone).

Rules

[spoiler=Standard Stuff]
1. Card must involve banishing in some shape or form within its effect; you are free to add on other effects besides it.
If your card doesn't have something to do with banishing, it will not be accepted until changes have been made.

2. Entries must be your own. If you are caught using someone else's entry, you'll be DQed (and possibly warned for ripping). If your card is being used w/out permission, please PM me with proof.

3. Post your card's lore underneath the card. It makes it easier for the judges & myself to read the effects, correct OCG and show any such corrections if you request us to do so.

(Just copy/paste the card lore from the generator, and you will not need to manually type it a second time).

4. Written Cards are allowed, but if you do, must be written in text format.

5. Check over your card before submitting it (OCG/grammar, card stats/effect).

While I will allow you to fix minor details before the deadline, you should've already designed it as a final product. If you make any edits, you need to notify me (either in the thread or a PM). Minor details mean fixing OCG/spelling errors and small aesthetic changes.

You may not completely change your entry.

6. Entries must be new.

7. Use card types, Attributes, ATK/DEF that exist in the actual TCG/OCG.
Fake Types/Attributes/stats are not allowed; neither are DIVINE / Divine-Beast and Creator Gods.

There shouldn't be any reason to deviate from the 23 legal Types in the game; cards should fit into one of them.

8. Entries are expected to have some degree of effort put into designing them.
Blatantly OPed cards and/or ones that lack any noticeable effort will not be accepted.

9. If you make cards outside of the YCM generator (Yugico, MSE, self template, w/e), make sure that you are able to link to them on the front page. It's advisable you make the card here since it's easier to post cards.

In the case of Pendulums, use Tinypic or w/e image host you use to upload the cards. DO NOT use attachments.
If YCM's generator is broken and will not generate IMG codes, just use another image host.

10. Design processes should be included with your card, so we get an idea of what you were going for + have a better understanding of what to look for in the card; but as a whole, it is not required.

I recommend using this, if the overall design comes off as controversial and you need to back up your reasoning for it.

11. Regular YCM Rules apply.

12. Pop Culture Cards are allowed.

13. DO NOT submit an Infernoid card; they already do enough things as is.

14. Submit your entries in the thread. Makes it easier for myself and other judges to read/judge your stuff.
[/spoiler]

Entry Fee

Free

Participants

• RealmReaver
  • Gadjiltron
  • EndUser
  • - Noel -
  • KoolGoldFinch
  • Tinkerer
  • Aquatic Ether Zerpant
  • BertyColossal
  • Nai
  • Have a Lovely Day
  • Chaos Sonic
  • BertyColossal
  • ReneTCG
  • Alpakha
  • Divine Dragon Sage
  • yugiohcreator876
  • Talim Rave
  • Tyretian
  • VCR Cat
  • lightdiversion

Bold means that I got your entries.

Judges

• Sakura
  • Radiant FURY
  •  

Accepting another judge.
If interested, post your criteria. Make sure you've also passed the judging exam at least once.

Scoring

Sakura [100]

• Balance (40) - Is your card broken or can work without screwing up the gamestate? How well did you work a banishing effect into your card?
  • Usability (20) - Can we use this card properly without any weird gimmicks?
  • Creativity (20) - How did you portray your banishing effect? Is it something that other cards have already done or something new?
  • OCG* (15) - How well did you write grammar in accordance with PSCT? Did you check any standard grammar/spelling mistakes that are looked at in standard English?
  • Theme/Realism (5) - Did you follow the theme, and obey standard card making principles? (Don't break the BEWD clause, use realistic stats and other things)

* You will be mostly graded on comprehension of the effect and general spelling/grammatical errors. I will deduct points for spelling/grammatical errors for standard English, so please spellcheck your work before the deadline.

I understand that English isn't the primary language of many users here, but just try your best. You may seek help from other members with any spelling issues, or check it against an online dictionary.

Points will not be deducted for using an older OCG style (though I encourage use of PSCT, because it solves ruling issues that were present in the older versions), along with any conflicting wording Konami may have regarding certain mechanics.

Radiant FURY [100]

Balance (40)
Usability (30)
Creativity/Theme: (10)
OCG/PSCT (20)

Prizes

1st - 1200 points + 3 reps + Champion prize + special member group for 1 month
2nd - 800 points + 2 reps + Runner-Up prize
3rd - 400 points + 1 rep + 3rd place prize

4th / 5th will be added if enough interest is shown.

[spoiler=Examples]

PJjX2P9.png
OCnTTqS.png
XNisBhS.png
gSdmAJn.png

Examples from SCS 10; pick up if you didn't do it already.
[/spoiler]

Good luck!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QaiY8C8.jpg

Lore: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 face-up DARK Ritual, and 1 face-up  LIGHT Fusion monster from your side of the field or your Graveyard. When this card is Summoned, you may banish a number of cards from your hand, if you do; your opponent cannot declare an attack or activate the effects of monsters whose level are less then 5 for a number of thier turns equal to the number of cards you banished.  

Don't mind if I do. I'm going to edit this post when I finish creating the card.

0QQ47OP.jpg

[spoiler Card Text]Cannot be destroyed by battle. Once per turn: You can banish the top 3 cards of your Deck, face-down. During your Standby Phase: Add 1 of your face-down banished cards to your hand, also place your other face-down banished cards on the bottom of the Deck. If this card leaves the field: Shuffle all of your face-down banished cards into the Deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler Design Notes]For a contest named "Journey to the Reverse World", it screams for a card that's all "I've been to exile and back." This means cards that retrieve banished things or cards that re-enter the field from banishment.

I looked in some of my existing cards and saw a card that does just that, but I've changed the effect quite a bit since its original incarnation. Now, it helps you deliver cards within a limited range of your Deck - the top 3 cards. Compared to the previous incarnation that was essentially a recurring Gold Sarcophagus, it'll need something to compensate. So you have complete secrecy over what you get - not like you'd know what it'll be when the effect activates - and get to discover the mystery delivery the very next turn, and choose one of the banished cards to use this turn.

Of course, what is an armored delivery train without any staying power? Now its indestructibility is static, though it's still vulnerable to card effects. That's still some degree of guarantee that the delivery arrives. But if it gets annihilated with its cargo, that would be unfortunate, wouldn't it? Thankfully, in the off chance it disappears while delivering something, you can still salvage the mystery cargo by shuffling it into your Deck.

Careful, though, as the station has room for only one train. If you control multiple Irvings by your Standby Phase, you only receive 1 card out of the face-down banished card pool. Multiple cards can expand the banished card pool to improve the range of cards you could get.[/spoiler]

Do relevant cards have to be either archetypal or wall-of-text-ish? No!

[spoiler='Entry']

1tMcDj5.jpg

When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster on the field; banish it. This card cannot attack during the turn you activate this effect. When this card is banished: Draw 1 card. You can only use each effect of "D.D. Maiden" once per turn.

[/spoiler]

If I were to take a card from the Yu-Gi-Oh! Anime / Manga that was never actually turned into a card and applied my interpretation of its effect, would it be a suitable entry into this contest?

Yeah.

I would like to help judge this contest, if possible.

Provide your grading scale.

---

Everyone else will be added to OP

[spoiler="Millma, Queen of Esqualer "]
VdwafpN.jpg

[spoiler="Lore "]Each time a Spell Card(s) is banished, this card gains 200 ATK for each. When this card destroys a monster in battle, banish it instead of sending it to the Graveyard. Once per turn, you can discard 1 card, then target 1 of your banished Spell Cards: Add it to your hand.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler][spoiler="Design notes "]The card serves decks that banish a lot. It may be of some use to "Spellbook" decks, but these already have their own cards that do the job. It could still be a Side Deck solution, but the card is mostly for other decks that lack the ability to recover Spells. Successful attacks lead to banishing (with a small ATK boost for the matter) and a cost for the retrieval. The ATK boost may be low, but there are multiple ways in which it can escalate quickly. Single answers to this are "Soul Release", "White-Horned Dragon", a combo like "Macro Cosmos" with "Kuribandit" and other similar or unique cards/combos.[/spoiler]

Here's my entry!

[spoiler='Ragnarok: The Bringer of the End']wqrh5Ru.jpg
LORE:
Activate this card while you control at least 2 face-up Monsters with "Dark Magician" in their card name (this includes "Magician of Black Chaos"). When this card is activated: Send X number of Monsters from your Deck to your Graveyard (max. 12); flip all of your opponent's face-down monsters face-up, then banish all Monsters your opponent controls whose Levels are equal to or less than the number of Monsters you sent to the Graveyard with this card's effect. This card's effect can affect and resolve on any Monster, regardless of card effects (this includes "Slifer the Sky Dragon", "Obelisk the Tormentor", and "The Winged Dragon of Ra". You cannot declare an attack on the turn you activate this effect, and all your face-up Monsters are changed to Defense Position and cannot be changed until your next Main Phase 1. You can only activate the effects of "Ragnarok" once per Duel.[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Design Notes']Atem was able to activate "Ragnarok" to destroy Ra in the anime, and it had a ridiculous effect, but in the anime, that was the only way to completely destroy a God Card. Here in the real world, sending your entire Deck to the Graveyard to destroy 1 God Card is not only stupid, but really useless, so I kept the activation requirements the same, but made it a little bit more usable in the way of what it can do. And for sending up to 12 cards from your Deck to the Graveyard, I think this effect is as balanced and as fair as it can get while not being totally useless.[/spoiler]

EDIT: Added "flip all of your opponent's face-down monsters face-up" to the card effect before the banishing part of the effect resolves.  This is something I noticed when re-reading it.  I forgot to specify face-up, and effects don't usually target face-downs (plus how are you supposed to know the level of a face-down monster?), so I revised it to make more sense.

Irrelevant to the topic, but just a thought I had: Special points should be given to Gadjiltron (and some others I've noticed), because they take their time to write so extended and decent descriptions for their cards that are so delightful to read.

It'll help us to understand their design intent, yes, but it'll probably show in their balance/design score.

@JM: Keep in mind that your grades will be scaled by 2 to equal mine (luckily, yours factors nicely)

---

On a sidenote, the Reverse World thing is a reference to Giratina from movie 11 and stuff; but it fits here due to thematics.

Might I join?

EDIT: Woop Woop here be me card

UYpcHeB.jpg

[spoiler=Lore]

2 Level 4 monsters
If this card has Xyz Material when you Ritual Summon a monster, you can banish monster cards from your Graveyard as monsters required for the Ritual Summon. Once per turn: you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 monster in your Graveyard that was used for a Ritual Summon and 1 Ritual Spell; Banish the first target, then add the second to your hand.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Notes]
This card was made with the Djinn of Rituals series/archetype thingumabob in mind. Basically if you use this card with any non-Nekroz Ritual Deck (since their cards can only be used successfully opt iirc), you have a nice stream of monsters to use without exhausting your hand/ field, and you can recycle your Ritual Spell for another summon. It's Rank 4 because a lot of the monsters you would want in a non-Nekroz Ritual Deck are Level 4 imo.[/spoiler]

Archived