Boss Duel - Anubis from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie

Delibirb

I am a very big fan of the Boss Duels done on Yugioh Days in Japan. If you're unfamiliar with them, information can be found here. But back on topic, I made this Boss Deck based on Anubis from the Pyramid of Light Movie. Some of the cards are Kaiba's, which had to be done as Anubis only used about 5 or 6 cards (2 of which were not shown on-screen). I tried to keep the flavor of the cards in the anime will also given them some elevation to be a powerful Boss. In all the Boss Duels i've run, the players seemed to get the most enjoyment out of Anubis than the others; he just lets the challengers actually play more.

[spoiler='Starting Hand']

[spoiler='Andro Sphinx (Monster A)']

Nl8UvFE.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned while you control "Anubis/Trap A" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card cannot attack the turn it is Special Summoned. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half that monster's ATK.
-I summon "Andro Sphinx"!-

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Sphinx Teleia (Monster B)']

rukjZmk.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned while you control "Anubis/Trap A" and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card cannot attack the turn it is Special Summoned. If this card battles an opponent's monster, negate that monster's effects until the end of the damage step.
-I summon "Sphinx Teleia"!-

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Fallout (Spell A)']

56McYvz.jpg

Target 1 monster on the field; increase its ATK by 4000, and if you do, skip your next Draw Phase, Standby Phase, and Main Phase 1.
-I activate "Fallout"!-

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Inferno Tempest (Spell B)']

ilEk1Jw.jpg
When you take battle damage: Banish all monsters your opponent controls and in their hand.
-I activate "Inferno Tempest"!-

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='The Pyramid of Light (Trap A)']

2E9pVrn.jpg

You can activate this card from your hand. Once, while this card is face-up on the field, it cannot be destroyed by card effects. If this card is destroyed: Destroy all "Anubis/Monster A" and "Anubis/Monster B" on the field.
-I activate "The Pyramid of Light"!-

Hidden Effect:
If both "Anubis/Monster A" and "Anubis/Monster B" are in your Graveyard: You can Special Summon "Anubis/Monster C" from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard, ignoring the summoning conditions.

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Deck from Top to Bottom']

[spoiler='Desk Destruction Virus (Trap B)']

R21M3lA.jpg

Activate only when a monster you control is destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard. When this card is activated, also during each of your Standby Phases: Banish 5 monsters from 1 opponent player's Deck.
-I activate "Deck Destruction Virus"!-

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon (Monster D)']

YfqIyk5.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned from your hand while you control no cards. This card gains 500 ATK and DEF for each Dragon-Type monster in the Graveyard(s). You can negate the activation of a Spell, Trap, or monster effect that would affect this card, and if you do, destroy it. Once, while this card is face-up on the field, you can destroy 1 card on the field.
-I summon "Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon"!-

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Theinen the Great Sphinx (Monster C)']

xeC2Wn4.jpg

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned from your hand, Deck, or Graveyard by paying 1000 Life Points when "Anubis/Monster A" and "Anubis/Monster B" destroyed simultaneously. When this card is Special Summoned: You can pay 500 LP; this card gains 500 ATK for each monster currently in the Graveyard(s).
-I summon "Theinen the Great Sphinx"!-

[/spoiler]

[/spoiler]

• 1 month later...

Splendid idea, however the monster d is even for boss duel standards broken, it at least need to be limited to once per turn.

Fallout seems unneeded, perhaps you could add the blue-eyes ultimate dragon instead of it and force the boss to tribute said monster for blue-eyes shining dragon.

As I already thought about potential boss decks I can give you a list of potential boss deck worthy characters.

(Marik), Dartz, Bakura, (Atemu), (Kagemaru), Yubel, (The Supreme King), (Lyman Banner), (Paradox), Rex Goodwin, Aporia, (Faker), Nash and (Astral).

Monster D takes a while to get out though, and it isn't nearly as broken as C late game or Trap B. Fallout is there because it was one of the cards he used. Only reason we have shining and destruction virus is because they were the 2 best cards Kaiba used and Anubis had only 6.

I'd be happy to make more bosses as you suggested if the people would be interestedin them.

Monster D takes a while to get out though, and it isn't nearly as broken as C late game or Trap B. Fallout is there because it was one of the cards he used. Only reason we have shining and destruction virus is because they were the 2 best cards Kaiba used and Anubis had only 6.

I'd be happy to make more bosses as you suggested if the people would be interestedin them.

C however is much harder to bring out than C, which takes much effort to bring down and would still return one turn later.

It is clear why kaiba's cards are added, however shining could really have at least one weakness (except from battle), then again you could also imit it to "once per chain" and it would be fine.

Deck Destruction Virus seems interesting as a boss card, besides... why is D not C and C not D ?

Should C not be the last monster considerign it is his final ace ?

I for one am interested, in boss decks, having these kind of duels certain cards suddenly grow in their value.

One last question, why is this in the casual area, while the concept itself is already existing and thus not experimental ?

C however is much harder to bring out than C, which takes much effort to bring down and would still return one turn later.
It is clear why kaiba's cards are added, however shining could really have at least one weakness (except from battle), then again you could also imit it to "once per chain" and it would be fine.
Deck Destruction Virus seems interesting as a boss card, besides... why is D not C and C not D ?
Should C not be the last monster considerign it is his final ace ?
I for one am interested, in boss decks, having these kind of duels certain cards suddenly grow in their value.
One last question, why is this in the casual area, while the concept itself is already existing and thus not experimental ?

C is harder to bring out because Anubis basically cheated to get it out anyway. d is more powerful because it was designed to be able to defeat the Gods and in fact defeated Anubis in the end.

C is C because A and B are the sphinxes thus it makes sense for C to be the last sphinx. It isn't the first time boss cards wouldn't be alphabetically stacked, see Don Thousand.

This is in the casual because advanced is really supposed to just be for cards that could legally be used and printed as is if Konami wanted. Boss cards don't fit that description so I thought it better they be here.

Also, I forgot the hidden effect so I'll put that in. added

Archived