Struggle of Powers II (IC/Still Accepting)

Jake the Sage

Struggle_of_Powers_II_Background.jpg

[hr]

The colors of the early morning sky were an amazing mixture of golden and azure hues, perfectly complimenting each other in the brisk chill of the win from the previous night. High above the world in that moment there was nothing that could disturb the lone figure gently floating about in the few clouds that had already gathered for the day- forecasting a cloudy day with a good chance of a heavy downpour. Each breath served to calm and focus Lora as she slowly bite down on an apple she had retrieved from the commissary after her nightmare had disturbed her from what had been a restful sleep.

“Hey, Lora!” a voice called out to the flying Super and was quickly followed by the sound of an engine working diligently to raise the driver of the small hovercraft up into the air. Inside the contraption, Anna tugged on one of the control panel’s levers to set the hovercraft into a state where it would remain at its current height then fixed her glasses. Leaning over the edge of the hovercraft, the device shifting under her slight weight, the brunette stared at Lora whose quick attempt to hide her surprise was failing completely and utterly.

“How did you know I was up here?”

“Oh please,” Anna waved the question off, literally, and rolled her eyes. She ran her hand through her hair as she spoke, “I’ve known you for five years Lora since I defected. I’ve kind of learned that if you’ve had a nightmare you fly up here so you can look at the sunrise.”

“You know sometimes I forget you used to be a part of the Western Army,” Lora commented taking a final bite out of her apple, “Damn Westerner and your so called expert profiling.”

“I was right wasn’t I? Slum rat,” Anna teased back. Both members of the Northern Military shared a content laugh as the morning sun finally crested over the horizon. Hopping back into the driver’s seat Anna worked the gears of the hovercraft and called out before she descended, “Remember that Destined and the other Southern diplomats are going to arrive by noon for the yearly conference between them and Lady Kyou. We have to report to Kallen before then so don’t forget!”

“Oh right . . .” Lora grumbled while Anna sped off to continue on with whatever she had to do. The new leader of the Southern Territories was someone Lora had no fondness for- even back when he wasn’t in power and only seemed a minor threat. After all, how could someone trust a man who would burn victims with what Lora could only describe as “a manic satisfaction”?

[hr]

The Gates of the Northern Wall, it was something many Supers within the slums heard stories of. If you reach the North you will be free. If you go beyond the walls life will be a paradise.

Destined knew all of it was nonsense. He had known since he was a small child living behind those walls. He might as well have lived in the slums; at least there you had a chance of being killed quickly by a roving band of Western soldiers.

How the desire to burn down the walls, to tear out the sympathetic and weak hearts of those who claimed to rule it, wore at his heart. Even now after so many years of living outside the walls that burning desire had ceased to fade.

“Lord Destined we’re approaching the Gates of the North,” Avai stated to the Southern leader’s side. “Of course we are,” Destined thought. It was quite obvious they were. The Northern Wall wasn’t hard to spot if one knew where to look- a fact that amazed him considering the Western Military had never once sought an outright attack. Though, to be honest, he couldn’t blame them. Anyone with even a mediocre gift for tact would realize anything other than a brilliant war plan would result in the North deflecting anything else.

Or had managed to gain the North’s trust and be allowed inside those damnable walls without much trouble Destined thought as the massive gates swung open for his militia whilst a horn heralded their arrival and entrance.

[hr]

The sound of a horn blowing in the distance caught Lora and Anna’s attention inside their apartment. Hopping in place Lora did her best to fit into her pants as quickly as possible so she could finish tying her hair back in place. Anna was just looking out the window, already dressed, and chuckled back as her friend worked at a furious pace to look presentable, “This is what you get for being late.”

“Bite me Anna! You know why I’m late!” Lora shouted over her shoulder now working on her hair, keeping it out of her face and more importantly eyes. Done and one check to ensure that she was fit to be seen Lora and Anna went to leave. The door swung open before they had reached it.

“Miss Kallen!” both girls shouted and fumbled to salute their superior officer. Kallen just sighed, her eyes carrying heavy black bags, and waved both of the girls off, “Lora . . . Anna . . . how many times do I have to say you don’t have to salute to me or call me miss?”

“Sorry,” Lora apologized with a large grin, “But you know what Lady Kyou would say and do if we didn’t.”

Kallen nodded. She was from the West and was accustomed to military rituals and procedures but she only joined the North after it appeared they were different. They weren’t in the sense of how their military functioned. Now Kallen just wanted out.

“Look Kyou can make all the rules she wants but while she isn’t around don’t call me miss or salute me, alright?”

“Sure.”

“Uh hu”

“Now before I forget, I want you two to go round up some more volunteer Supers for security.”

“Why?” Anna asked a hint of concern in her voice. They normally had more than enough security for these meetings and even sometimes could work with the bare minimum. “Looks like Destined brought a few more members than he said he was going to. Kyou said we shouldn’t be concerned but you both know who we’re dealing with here . . . .” images of burnt crops and smoldering bodies ran through both girls’ minds. “. . . . So I just want to be extra careful.”

“No problem Kallen,” Lora gave her superior a thumbs up, “We’ll get at least twenty more Supers to make sure Destined’s forces remember not to act up! Right Anna?”

“I think twenty is kind of pushing it Lora,” Anna muttered before a jab in the side corrected her, “I mean yes of course . . . twenty is going to be easy. Hit me again and I’ll pin you to the ground for the rest of the day . . . .”

“Thanks.”

[hr]

“John, Avai, you two are to come with me,” Destined ordered while his group slowly marched their way through the trash littered streets. The masked man and dark skinned woman nodded their acknowledgement to their leader as he addressed the others in a highly authoritative tone, shouting at them, “As for the rest of you! Once we reach the building that holds the central regime you are to report to the living dwellings the North will be providing for you. You are not to venture outside the building and be ready for any order I should send to you, is that clear!?”

“Awe, come on! We can’t go outside for anything!? Not even for a sweet little piece of eye candy?” Micco complained as he charmingly grinned and waved at one of the many women he passed by that had gathered outside their houses to watch the parade of southerners. With Micco’s complaint many of the other members of the march began to voice their desire to go out into the city once they had gotten settled in.

All complaints that caused Destined’s blood to boil and a new desire, to set his unruly subordinates ablaze, to overwhelm his previous desire to set the entirety of the North on fire. Luckily cooler heads were abound and gently spoke to Destined in a hush voice, “The men have marched for five days straight with little rest Lord Destined. One would imagine they would naturally be displeased if you were to push them any more than you already have. Besides . . .”

The raven haired woman leaned closer to make her other words couldn’t be heard by any nearby, “If you were to start a conflict now it would set us back years.”

“You’re break is granted!” Destined shouted out and was promptly followed by the total membership of the southerners cheering in delight. “Worthless fools . . .”

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zack yawned as he watched the southern delegation march past him. I wouldn't be dis tired if I hadn't been wakened by dat loud contraption so early in da morning. Whatever happened ta bein polite and lettin people to sleep? Let meh find out who kept meh from mah dreams, and I shall collect payment...

“Awe, come on! We can’t go outside for anything!? Not even for a sweet little piece of eye candy?”

Now der is a man who knows wat is wat. Shame der ain't more people like him in charge. Zack turned away as the parade continued up the road. His shfit wasn't until later and he had no intention of being a good little soldier in the mean time. He simply wasn't being paid enough to be proper and distinguished. Even if he was, it was a little early in the day to be putting on such a show anyway.

"Argh, I took dis job cuz it's easy cash, had I known it would be dis borin, I would've brought some of da crew." Zack continued to complain to himself as he reached into the pocket of his worn out leather jacket and retrieved an apple. He took a bite of it before deciding he wasn't in the mood for it and tossed it down an alley. He continued on his way, dodging a puddle to keep his trousers and favorite bear-hide shoes from getting overly dirty. Arriving at a tavern, clearly one of less than admirable reputation, he gave himself over to a grin.

"Now, who be up to losin der cash dis early in da day?" Zack yelled as he pushed the tavern door open and waltzed in with his usual swagger.

BGM

Above the Gates of the North, watching Destined and his troops walking towards it, stood Seiko Inoue. He removed the sunglasses he wore as he looked down upon the Southern delegation group. A small sigh escaped his lips as he turned around to face the city.

"So its time for them to go through with this..." Seiko said before falling forward, and literally diving off the wall. This was a normal thing for him to do...it was the sheer rush of adrenaline he felt when he went this fast. He closed his eyes as he kept free falling for quite a few feet. Before long he suddenly opened his eyes as he pushed his feet back towards the wall, only to do the unthinkable...

Seiko used the wall as a literal spring board. Yes, he jumped off the wall and sprung himself forward.

The insane, thrill-seeking Super only smirked as he landed on a nearby building's roof, before taking a running leap and proceeded to jump from building to building. Seeing Destined and his troops at the Gates of the North...it sparked a small flame within the young man's soul. They were suppose to be here for delegations...but it was the South...

If anything...Lady Kyou has foreseen a possible problematic outcome...which means I'll get a bit of action today afterall! Seiko thought, before laughing as he kept leaping from building to building.

"Hah, 'nother round for meh!" Zack bellowed as he picked up the dice yet again. For the past several minutes he had been on a roll and was about to clean out the entire table. Da best part is, I dun even hav'ta cheat tah beat dees chumps!

Zack spent the next few minutes cleaning up the game and collecting his winnings. He was just finishing up when a couple of guards from the northern forces entered the tavern. They stormed right over to him and one clapped him on the shoulder.

"Hey pisspot, what the hell are you doing here? I thought that the Mercenaries were bared from this part of town."

Whoops, looks like da jig is up.

"Ey now, der ain't no need tah be dat way. I jus forgot, I take mahself back tah mah room right now. So if ya would be so kind tah let meh go..."

"Oh, your not worming out of this troublemaker. The only reason your here is because Lady Kyou insisted on bolstering our numbers. I think we'll be taking you to see miss Lora. I'm certain that she'll be in the mood to deal with your nonsense while the delegation is here."

Tch, dis day jus can't go mah way, can it? Zack didn't struggle too much, as the guards took him out the tavern. He managed to walk away with all his winnings and if given the chance, he would just talk his way out of this bad situation. That or use his years of experience to escape and lose the two sticks in the mud holding onto him as they walked down the street.

On da bright side, dey are takin meh to see a woman. der are worse ways dis could go.

The South was now inside the boarders of the Northern Walls, beyond any chance of being able to easily push them away without a struggle. Worse, now their leader was in the very heart of the building that housed the North’s own leader.

It was as much a reason as any for the Northern guards to be on high alert for anyone who didn’t look like they belonged. Even to stop and question a few people they did know- just to be one hundred and ten percent certain nothing was wrong.

Two such guards had been about their normal route, or as normal as it could be considering the situation, when a group of outright pissed off men approached them. In no short order had they all started explaining what had happened to them, that some Southerner had barged into their local bar and began stirring up trouble; it was only “coincidence” that they forgot to mention they had been gambling and that this Southerner had won their money fair and square.

“We’ll take a look at it,” one of the guards said and looked at his colleague, who nodded to show his agreement. Pointed in the right direction they entered the small tavern and easily spotted the Southerner- he didn’t blend into a crowd . . . at all. They stormed right over to him and one clapped him on the shoulder, “Hey piss pot! What the hell are you doing here? I thought that the mercenaries were barred from this part of town.”

“Ey now, der ain't no need tah be dat way. I jus forgot, I take mahself back tah mah room right now. So if ya would be so kind tah let meh go . . .”

“Oh, you’re not worming out of this you hick!” the guard holding onto Zack’s shoulder spouted, forcing the Southerner to rise to his feet, “The only reason your here is because Lady Kyou insisted on bolstering our numbers!”

“We’re going to take you to Miss Lora,” the other guard said while he positioned himself to ensure that if Zack made a break for it he’d be able to stop him before he got away, “I'm certain that she won’t be in a good mood to deal with your nonsense while the delegation is here.”

Thankfully the Southerner didn't struggle too much as the two guards took him farther into the city, to the same building he and the rest of the Southern Forces were currently being housed. Because the others had already made it inside and had slowly trickled back out, legally, into the population the crowd of Northern citizens who had been out to see them come in had just as quickly returned back to their normal daily lives.

Stepping up to one of the guards who had the job of constantly guarding the front entrance and speaking with her, the other guard remained with Zack. One hand still on the Southerner’s shoulder he gave a deep sigh as his partner returned, “So can we move on and bring this prick to Miss Lora?”

“Miss Lora’s currently out of the building on assignment. We’re bringing him to Miss Kallen instead,” the other guard stated as he looked over at Zack, “It’s your lucky day . . . Miss Kallen is much worse than Miss Lora. Play your cards right and you’ll be dead with minimum . . . complications.”

The warning given the trio was let inside the massive stone castle. Natural light mixed with the flickering illumination caused by the torches that sporadically dotted the wall. If one thing was certain, with a master of fire manipulation inside the building, it was either that this Lady Kyou was supremely confident in her and her forces abilities . . . or she was completely ignorant to the situation she had placed herself in.

[hr]

Anne had absolutely no luck. Any of the females she had asked either had gotten married and now had children to raise since the last time the South had been here or were already on assignment somewhere else. As for the men . . . Anne hadn’t spoken to a single one. She couldn’t. After all when you’ve been under the thumb of the Western General for as long as she had, being his human shield, you tend to frown upon men in general. It was a silly thing to do and Anne knew not all men were like the General, but still . . . it was just hard to move on.

As she flew around in her hovercraft a voice called out to her. Instead of being external the voice just so happened to be inside her head, “Norman to Anne, pick up Anne. Look I know you’re there . . . this is inside your head after all and you can’t just ignore me forever . . .”

“Y-Yes Corey?”

“Ah! There you are,” Corey said telepathically. Anne could almost hear him clap his hands in joy, “Just wanted to let you know that Destined is inside the main building.”

“I know,” Anne stated out loud slowing the hovercraft to neutral. When there wasn’t an immediate response Anne repeated what she had just said in her head, “Lora and I saw the Southern delegation walking through the street.”

“Yeah well . . . Kyou wants you to report to her. Apparently she wants you here first before the meeting gets underway.”

“I-Is there a problem?” Anne thought raising an eyebrow. With her power Anne understood why Lady Kyou wanted her there first- it was the same reason the Western General never let her leave his side. Making an impenetrable force field was a very desirable power to have in anyone’s army. At least Lady Kyou let her have her freedom.

“Let’s just say Destined is getting impatient . . . please hurry before I have to start cracking jokes to keep him occupied.”

“I-I’m on my way.” Anne turned the hovercraft around and zoomed back the opposite way. She only hoped she got there before Corey began telling any of his jokes- bad didn’t even begin to describe them.

[hr]

Flying- It was one of the most enjoyable pass times for Lora. Anne wasn’t kidding when she had said that whenever Lora got depressed she flew high above the clouds. Why not? Up there, surrounded by the clouds and being warmed by the early rays of sunlight, everything was quite. It was peaceful. It gave her a place to clear her mind and think about whatever had been bothering her.

Though Lora couldn’t deny zooming through the sky wasn’t bad either. It thrilled her; going fast through the sky, wind screaming in her ear, and dodging towers that rapidly approached her.

But she had a job to do and so far no matter how fast Lora went, she was still o for twenty. “Come on there has to be someone else in this damn city who wants to volunteer for guard duty!” Lora mentally shouted while she spun in the air so her back was to the ground, pulling at her red hair, and unknowingly flying lower to said ground. Before she had known it she had dipped below the surrounding buildings.

Only when someone else jumped over her did she realize how low she had been flying. After all when one minute you’re flying higher than anyone else then someone jumps over you, it gets your attention. Looking up Lora spotted brown short cut hair and a black coat trailing behind its wearer. Lora’s eyes lit up recognizing the person, luckily a Super who just might be willing to do some volunteer work, “Hey Sei!!!”

Then Lora crashed into the side of a tower . . .

[hr]

Zack had been handed off to Lady Kallen in the courtyard; they had luckily run into her while she was going out her business. As they had said Lady Kallen wasn’t in the mood for any antics the southerners might cause and when she heard he had scammed her people out of their money it took her being contacted by the communications expert of the Northern forces to not knock him out with her mechanical right arm.

“Alright, listen,” Kallen started her voice harsh and threatening, “You men return to our job.”

“As for you,” this time it was Zack she was addressing with the same tone, “You are coming with me.”

When Zack finally departed with Lady Kallen the two guards exhaled the collective breath they had both been holding in. Of all of the people in the North there were three none ever wanted to see upset: Lora, Lady Kyou, and Kallen. All three would probably kill them; it was just a question of how you wanted to end your life. Now alone save for the other guards who had tried their best to keep themselves out of the way of their upset superior, the two guards left.

Yet instead of going back to the route like they were supposed to, both decided that after a certain heralding feat they had just went through they deserved a drink to take the edge off.

A drink at the same tavern they had picked up Zack in.

A tavern they routinely got drunk at- the same one they would be currently drunk in when the meeting between the North and South began . . .

Seiko kept jumping from rooftop to rooftop, trying to keep up a steady pace rhythm...until he stopped suddenly.

"Hey Sei-CRASH!"

He skidded to a halt as he saw someone crash into the tower's side. And given the voice... "Aw come on...did she really do this again?" he asked aloud, as his face met his hand. Seiko walked back on the roof he was currently on and made his way to the tower, as he looked up at the hole it now had.

"We keep telling you to watch where you're flying, Lora." Seiko yelled up to the tower, as he saw a bit of rubble moving, before seeing the figure of a woman starting to dust herself off.

It was typical Lora. She had crashed into a few things here and there, and it wasn't very often. Nevertheless, it was a problem that he and even her friends had made mention to her. Then again, it probably wasn't even her fault...could've been the fact that he was too good looking!

Naaaaah...probably not even that. Thankfully she can't read my thoughts...otherwise that would've been bad. he snickered to himself, as he crossed his arms, seeing Lora descend down from the tower. "So, where's the fire at Lora?"

"Yo Sei!" I shouted flying through the air . . .

Right before I ran head first into a tower that just happened to be put in my way.

"We keep telling you to watch where you're flying, Lora." Seiko yelled up to the tower. Luckily I have some pretty thick skin, but Kallen says my skull is thicker, but either way as the dust drifted away from my impact I was able to pull myself out of the me-shaped dent I had caused. Brushing some of my red hair back and away from my eyes I hopped out into the air, floating gently away from the tower. Seiko had repeated the common phrase everyone tells me when I don't pay attention to where I'm going- seriously I hate being reminded that every time I accidentally crash- and I give him a glare to let him know not to push his buttons.

It didn't help he snickering to himself, arms crossed, "So, where's the fire at Lora?"

"Did he seriously have to choose those words?" I thought as I stopped right in front of him. Either way I have a job to do so I get right to the point, "Sei Kyou says we need a few more people to help guard the area. Since . . . y'know . . . Destined and his group is here for the meeting. So . . . wanna help?"

"Ple~ease?" I hate begging, but right now I'm o for twenty . . .

Zack was now casually walking along side Kallen, not even bothering to hide the fact that he was clearly sizing her up. He showed no sign of fear, and in fact felt none at all. It wasn't that he didn't think she would be angry or perhaps even try to kill him, he just felt that being in the presence of such a girl was too much a good time to let it be mellowed by bad vibes. He walked with his usual saunter, and even dared to cradle his arms behind his head, as if walking next to one of his old crew members.

Dis girl, dis girl looks good. I mean most girls do, but dis one, she sumthin else.

"So, I 'erd dat you be one of dem girls, da boss lady trust so much. Whatchu do dat made dis impression? By my thinkin, boss lady ain't one tah be won ovah so simple like." Zack struck up a conversation. The one thing he couldn't do was let an awkward silence develop, otherwise he would miss his chance to get to know this fine specimen. Zack was never one to pass up a golden opportunity when it was literally dragged before him, so to speak. Besides, he hadn't actually broken any rules, and he was willing to defend himself on those grounds alone. The North was all about being fair, so they wouldn't...SHOULDN'T kill him right away over simple suspect.

Wonder wat kinda flowah she likes?

"Sei, Kyou says we need a few more people to help guard the area. Since . . . y'know . . . Destined and his group is here for the meeting. So . . . wanna help? Ple~ease?"

Seiko sighed, hearing Lora even begin to start with this. This girl truly knew how to break him...sorta. One of the things Seiko couldn't handle to see: a woman begging. He shook his head and sighed once more, before looking at the young girl...who proceeded to show the puppy dog eyes...oh joy.

"Ahh damnit..." Seiko's face met his palm as he shook his head. "It wasn't bad enough with you begging...and now your doing the puppy dog eyes...alright, alright!" he finally said as he rolled his eyes. "I'm in. If only because I'm itching for some action." With that, Seiko gave Lora a thumbs up as he nodded. It was Guard duty...not the best and greatest job in the world...but hey, if it got him any sort of fighting action...it was perfectly alright with him.

Hayate had just exited his house when he saw the incoming Southern army lead by a man named Destined his early morning training session interrupted by the sounds of of a horn being heard. Looking back at the doorway he nodded towards his wife before she close the door locking it. The Southern army passing a fair distance from Hayate's house he started to head in the opposite direction they where headed. Hayate wearing his usual outfit, wooden Japanese style sandals and a white upper and black lower colored Kimmono folded at the waist to hang down behind him ending just about a half a foot above Hayate's heels. His athletic and built upper body wrapped in a black bandage like material covering his entire chest, arms and going all the way up his face covering all up until just before his eyes. At his waist on the left hung two Wakisahi followed by a Tanto on his right hip. Upon his back lay two more weapons, Two Katana, one facing upwards for the left hand and one facing downward for his right. Hayate paused briefly and turned to hear Destined give his men a "break" but to be ready for any and all commands that he would give. Hayate took a second to let the statement sink in, his suspicions about the meeting and the arrival of the Southern ruler becoming more of a worry to him. He turned and headed in the direction he was going fairly quickly, there was something not sitting right within him about the whole situation and it was apparent to anyone that he intended to uncover any plots there might be. 

Several minutes later arriving at his destination Hayate looked around at the several buildings that where close or touching the massive gate that surrounded the North. Leaping from one building to the next Hayate reached impossible heights and finally got to the location he desired. A feat that without the gathered energy from the walk and gathering it at his feat would have been near impossible for most. Peering out into the land as far as he could see he couldn't help but notice the golden hues of the sun rising in the east and the brisk chill from the wind as it blew. After analyzing the surrounding outside Hayate moved his gaze back towards the inside of the gates peering his gaze towards the northern and most prominent building in the city. A location that Destined and a few select few of his men would surely be entering soon to have there meeting with lady Kyou. 

Unannounced to Hayate there was someone searching, rather recruiting supers in the area for guard duty with the situation becoming a more top priority then most. In the distance he heard a loud crash of stone, brick and metal. He peered in the direction of the noise and could briefly see a smoke like mist rising from a building. Following the smoke Hayate ran along the rocky like top of the gate towards the area of the crash, his right hand firmly grasping the metal and wood of the handle to one of his Wakisahi. Getting closer and closer towards the scene Hayate noticed below the gate a slightly big implosion in the side of a building and at least one person standing near the scene. As he reached just above he peered downwards toward the scene noticing a younger man that he recognized as Seiko. Kneeling down he listened as much as he could as a woman appeared from the rubble of the building and spoke towards the man. 

I kept my eyes big and watery, trying my hardest to convince Seiko to join up with me for guard duty without having to actually say anything.

“Ahhh damn it . . . it wasn't bad enough with you begging . . . and now you’re doing the puppy dog eyes . . . alright, alright!” Before he could even finish his sentence I floated higher into the air and thrust my fist up, hollering in excitement. “I'm in. If only because I'm itching for some action.”

"Well,” I began trying to contain the giddiness I had for having found at least one person to join, grinning at Seiko as he gave me a thumbs up, “Hopefully it won’t come to that.”

[hr]

“So, I 'erd dat you be one of dem girls, da boss lady trust so much. Whatchu do dat made dis impression? By my thinkin, boss lady ain't one tah be won ovah so simple like.”

The southerner had attempted to strike up a conversation with Kallen. Up to that point he had seemed content to just walk beside her, almost too relaxed which only caused Kallen to keep her guard up. Now he was being bold enough to question her relation to Kyou. The former western soldier didn't know if she was more furious he blatantly asked such a personal question or that he didn’t call Kyou by her name at all.

Right arm gears turning so that her metal fist clenched, Kallen exhaled to keep herself from punching the southern man. Resuming her walk she answered him in her own, cryptic way, “I am and she isn't.”

From then on any endeavors to start or even keep a conversation going proved fruitless. Kallen ignored every word the man said, opting instead to just lead him throughout the castle towards their goal. When they finally reached said goal, it was obvious where they had been heading this entire time- the throne room.

Giant metal doors, meant to keep even the physically strongest Super out, prevented them from going inside. Without so much as a knock or announcing that she had arrived, the doors opened for them . . .

[hr]

A lone figure waited for the Super that had jumped up to one of the many buildings connected to the Northern Wall, alerted by his presence when he had started to leap from one building to the next until he got to the location he desired. The man luckily only took a moment to look out into the land before the sound of crashing stone, brick, and metal caught the man’s attention. Smoke-like mist rose from a building in the distance and led the man away from the shadow concealed individuals’ hiding spot. “Haven’t been there . . . not one of mine . . .”

Tightening the cloak around the lithe body to keep whatever secrets it hide from being discovered, the person grinned and slide down the side of the buildings. Oh how they wanted to just run and jump right out into the open, to begin the work that had been assigned . . . but patience was needed here.

All of the locations were set. Now to find a nice place to sit and watch the chaos as it unraveled around the unsuspecting North . . .

[hr]

Inside the throne room, the group that had been huddled around the table, discussing whatever topic they had been currently on, stopped and peered directly at the new arrivals. Stepping inside the door closed behind the both of them and with the latch’s click Kallen’s constant stern attitude changed instantly. Breathing out a sigh of relief she motioned to Zack and explained the situation while walking towards the group, “One of Destined’s flunkies scammed some people out of money in town. Norman told me the meeting was starting soon so I decided to bring him with me so his ‘boss’ can deal with him . . . I’m not in the mood.”

“At least he’s the only one who’s caused problems so far,” a blue-toned girl said with a sigh, letting a piece of paper fall from her hand as her hands frantically ran over her head, “If Lora doesn't get here soon Destined is going to blow his top . . . literally!”

“I’m sure Norman is working on it Cassie,” Kallen encouraged the younger woman, patting her on the back for support, “After all he can contact anyone in the city from here. She shouldn't be too long.”

[hr]

“Damn it Lora where are you!?” a voice, Norman, screamed inside of my head while I was flying alongside Seiko. The scream was unexpected to say the least and so loud that it made me scream, out loud, and flail through the air. Luckily this time I avoided crashing into another building but still had to stop my heart from quitting on me, “Norman don’t do that!”

“I wouldn't have too if you’d be here already!” the director of communications scolded me. For what I wasn't sure but he was scolding me . . . that tone I know all too well. “Be where? The meeting isn't supposed to start for-”

“It’s supposed to start in twenty minutes!” I glanced over to Seiko, my nerves probably obvious to him, “Uh . . . what time is it?”

Zack heard the grinding noise coming from his reluctant companion's arm as she clenched her fist and replied, "I am and she isn't."

Zack began to try and continue the conversation, but he could tell that it was clearly over. He sighed, tugged on his jacket a bit and continued to walk beside her, his companion's lack of vigor putting a damper on his mood. They eventually came upon a large set of doors, clearly not meant to be opened by anyone in particular.

Dat...is a big door.

As the doors opened, Zack quickly scanned the interior, clearly a place of wealth and power, and took note of the group huddled around a table. He was only slightly delighted when they all took note of their new arrivals. He followed his compatriot, walking slightly slower so he could take in the view, for he knew it wouldn't be often that someone like him would see a room like this. He then heard his escort begin to explain, or at least attempt to explain why he was with her.

“One of Destined’s flunkies scammed some people out of money in town. Norman told me the meeting was starting soon so I decided to bring him with me so his ‘boss’ can deal with him . . . I’m not in the mood.”

“At least he’s the only one who’s caused problems so far,” a blue-toned girl said with a sigh, letting a piece of paper fall from her hand as her hands frantically ran over her head, “If Lora doesn't get here soon Destined is going to blow his top . . . literally!”

“I’m sure Norman is working on it Cassie,” Kallen encouraged the younger woman, patting her on the back for support, “After all he can contact anyone in the city from here. She shouldn't be too long.”

Zack then piped up, not wanting to be falsely accused, even less so when it was clear that there was faulty communication somewhere along the way.

"Actually, and I dun mean tah be rude, but I happen tah work for dah Northern garrison. I didn't cheat nobody either, I won all dis coin fair and square. In fact, da only reason I was even up dis early, is cuz some hooligan was flyin around in some loud contraption wakin me up. I only be here tah earn an honest job's pay now, so I dun right like it bein said dat I be cheatin now, and I certainly dun want nuthin tah do with dat Destined character. Can't right say I'm a fan of the guy, with how he took control of my homeland."

Zack now felt slightly uncomfortable, having just realized that he voiced a very vocal opinion about a very powerful person. He adjusted his bandana a bit, making sure it kept his hair somewhat in check, and patted down his jacket before returning to a partially casual, partially formal standing stance.

Welp, I think I mighta gotten myself into some deep waters...guess I be gamblin on a bigger game now.

"Well, hopefully it won’t come to that.”

Seiko let out a small chuckle as he shook his head. "That's your hope anyway." He watched Lora quickly take to the skies as he began to leap from building to building once more, following her.

=A Few Moments Later=

The current duo kept heading to the precise location, when all of a sudden, the young brown haired man noticed that Lora both was flailing in the air...and even screaming. Thankfully, he watched her narrowly escape crashing a second time, but it was obvious that something had happened. Coming to a stop, he crossed his arms as he watched Lora just float there in air, seeming a bit frantic about something. Though her nerves, she was definitely wearing on her sleeves...

“Uh . . . what time is it?”

"Time?" Seiko asked, raising an eyebrow. He shrugged and slowly looked at the watch he had and then slowly looked back at Lora. "About twenty minutes till 9:30...wait...isn't that when the meeting supposed to be?"

Kyle drained his glass as he watched two guards step back into the dim light of the tavern.  He scratched his back, tugging on the wrappings that covered his upper body.  Despite his late night, he had had trouble sleeping and decided he’d much rather spend time in the city than go back home.

Tapping his cup on the bar, he dropped a few coins in the empty glass and slunk out of the building.  Outside, he stretched and looked at the steadily brightening sky.  As he was about to turn to his motorcycle to head back home something, or more precisely, someone, caught his eye.  He saw a figure running among the rooftops armed to the teeth with blades.  Concentrating, Kyle focused his vision on the quickly vanishing figure.  His aura appeared a red-orange and it burned like an old flame.  He had a purpose.

…And who was he to not offer help to such a gentleman?  Kyle grinned, his purple eyes shining mischievously.  After all, he wasn't due back at work for another twelve hours or so.  Ducking into a corner alley, he popped one of his eyes out and threw it into the air where it flew above the rooftops, scanning the area around.  Pulling on an eyepatch to cover the empty socket, he ran out of the alley and hopped on his motorcycle, kicking it into gear and chasing down the fiery figure, the eyeball keeping pace.

Seiko shrugged and slowly looked at the watch he had; he then slowly looked back at Lora, “About twenty minutes till 9:30 . . . wait . . . isn't that when the meeting supposed to be?”

It finally dawned on Lora just how late she was. Late for the only meeting she was supposed to attend all year. Heart racing Lora ran her fingers through her red hair as she began to panic, worrying on the fact she was late and loudly mumbling to herself about how upset Kyou would be at her if she wasn't already planning on killing her for being late.

This panic culminated in her grabbing Seiko by the shoulders, a tad too hard without realizing it, and held him so she could look him dead in the eye, “The meeting was supposed to be at nine! NINE!!! I’m late!”

Lora let Seiko go and turned to face the capital building, leaning in as if she was about to charge right at it- which is exactly what she was going to do. A gust picked up around her entire body as a visible light blue light floated around her body, flickering and drifting away from her as if it were made of fire. “Okay if I go there at full speed I should be able to make it in ten minutes.” Lora’s aura transformed from a simple flickering candlelight to an inferno as she prepared herself to speed to her goal. Shooting off she left Seiko behind before stopping, turning around, and returning for him. Grabbing his hand she pulled him close against her, keeping her face from his view, “C-Come on!”

Then both were off to the capital building.

[hr]

Kallen had given the situation with the person she had brought in- a mere scammer from the South. Normally anyone who scammed people out of money in the North would be forced to return the stolen property, or pay back the losses if they didn't have the property anymore, and then do some “community service” depending on the price of what they had stolen. The man being from the South made things more complicated. As long as Destined was in the capital, Kallen couldn’t just do whatever she wanted with the southerner.

To complicate matters after she had spoken the southerner had decided then to pip up. “Actually, and I dun mean tah be rude, but I happen tah work for dah Northern garrison. I didn't cheat nobody either, I won all dis coin fair and square. In fact, da only reason I was even up dis early, is cuz some hooligan was flyin around in some loud contraption wakin me up. I only be here tah earn an honest job's pay now, so I dun right like it bein said dat I be cheatin now, and I certainly dun want nuthin tah do with dat Destined character. Can't right say I'm a fan of the guy, with how he took control of my homeland.”

“Are you?” Kallen asked still suspicious of the southerner. The obviousness of his homeland origins was without denial- he was from the South. It was also obvious he wasn't one of the regular members of the Northern garrison since Kallen trained and helped lead all of them. Yet it wasn't unusual to have new recruits from the South appear every so often or volunteer when they were needed. Without being able to clearly say he was lying and without Norman to delve into his mind she couldn't call him a liar. “Least he despises Destined as well . . . if that isn't a lie too.”

“It doesn't matter if he works for us or not.” The entire room grew colder as a young woman with pale, fragile-looking, skin calmly stepped into the room. Slowly she made her way over to the chair reserved for the leader of the Northern government then gracefully sat down.

“L-Lady Kyou!” Cassie shouted surprised at the unannounced arrival and shot up from her seat, saluting her superior while the others around the room save for Kallen did the same; a wave was all it took from the leader of the North to put her subjects at ease. From behind raven bangs two cold eyes stared directly at Zack while Kyou’s fingers intertwined, “Young man I don’t care if you are from the North or from the South. I do care if you have scammed my people out of their hard earned money . . . but I have more important things to turn my attention to than something as petty as you. So you will remain outside this room and remain quiet until we are finished, then I will deal with you.”

“Is that clear?” From the tone the Northern leader was giving, her question was more of a command.

[hr]

Inside the bar many of the local patrons and even those visiting from the South were good and drunk. Many sang the few folk songs that had remained from before the “Event” while the rowdier ones of the group danced like they had gone mad.

In all it was a time for celebration and cheer- the one time a year where the North and South came together to strengthen their hard fought alliance.

You’d have to be mad to not celebrate.

“Even guards are drunk as skunks,” Amber thought bringing another glass full of whatever passed for alcohol in the North to her lips. Across from her two guards were singing loudly, off key, with one arm around the other, to a song about how they adored the big rear ends on their female compatriots. The others around her clapped along as she kicked back and watched, the man next to her dropping a few coins in the empty glass and slunk out of the building. 

All Amber could do, for now, was wait for the time where she could celebrate in her own special way.

[hr]

The room grew quiet while Kyou waited for an “answer”. That silence was broken when Lora and Sieko burst through the wall and rolled all the way over to the opposite wall. Coughing and upside down Lora just gave an uneasy chuckle as Kallen lowered her mechanical arm, waving at everyone in the room, “H-Hey . . . I’m here . . .”

“And I brought a volunteer . . .” Lora added raising Sieko’s arm that she still had hold of.

It wasn't uncommon for Zack to end up on the wrong side of a woman's hospitality. However, he had never tried with someone who held wealth and power in droves. Any other time Zack would've stuck around and given it a shot. However Zack could take a hint, and this one was a big hint.

"Your the boss, milady. You will get no arguement from this humble mercenary." Zack switched off his guise, speaking much clearer and with more intellect than he had just moments before. He gave a very courteous bow, coming to almost a 90 degree angle, doing his best to not seem mocking. As he rose from his bow, he heard a slight rumble.

What the devil is that noise...?

Just as Zack was about to dismiss it and head for the door, two figures barreled through the wall, passing not but a few feet behind him, and slammed into the wall across the room. Zack was, for one of the few moments of his life, completely dumbstruck. Upon inspection it appeared to be a man and a woman, the man looked knocked for a loop, but the woman was fine aside from being upside down. She lifted the man's arm with a slight motion while saying, "H-Hey... I'm here..."

"And I brought a volunteer..."

Zack looked at them, then the door, then back to his employers before speaking up, "If it's alright with you I'll take my leave and wait outside the room, unless I too am needed for whatever this...volunteer, is doing?"

“The meeting was supposed to be at nine! NINE!!! I’m late!”

Seiko was startled by Lora grabbing him by the shoulders as she did, yelling this. But then again, he was glad she wasn't shaking him like a rag-doll in the process as well. However...he watched as her aura changed and knew what was going to happen.

“C-Come on!”

That was when Lora grabbed him and held him close to her. "W-Wait a minute Lora...don't do it...give me a chance t-" But it was already too late...she launched herself at full speed trying to head to the capital building. Yelling was heard, no doubt by the people below, and no doubt they saw Seiko's face as they watched the two zoom past overhead.

A few moments later...

"Lora...LORA SLOW DOWN!!!"

Seiko tried to warn Lora about the capital building's main door, but it was too late. Lora had crashed with him into the room and into the wall.

“H-Hey . . . I’m here . . .And I brought a volunteer . . .”

His arm was slowly held up as he slowly lifted his head a bit, with a loud groan. "Lora...next time...GIVE ME A HEADS UP!!" he shouted as he slowly stood up and dusted himself off, helping Lora up as well, seeing now that everyone's attention was on them. "Ahem...sorry for the very loud interruption, Lady Kyou..."

Hayate listened close to the conversation between the two as it concluded. Hayate couldn't help but realize that it seemed as though Lady Kyou herself felt as though she needed extra "guards" at the meeting. "What exactly is she thinking?" Hayate thought to himself. Watching the departure of the two to there destination Hayate pondered the situation. It didn't take long of coarse for Hayate's realization and of course he planned to act upon it. Turning he began scanning the outside of the gates as he ran towards his destination, gravel being kicked up by his feet began pouring off the sides of the gate falling and hitting close to the edges, and a sort of red glow could be seen at his feet. He ran for several minutes while glancing inwards to the town occasionally looking for any and all signs of disturbances and or something that might stand out. It wasn't long though before he reached his destination, his mind stricken by a force that he couldn't comprehend. Unknowingly he had seen shadows in the backgrounds of the landscape surrounding the gate's and that was what was effecting him. He leaped from the gates and plunged towards the earth with a fair speed, and no control over his movements Hayate hit the earth feet first sending a shock wave throughout the vicinity. 

People that where effected where standing back up and wiping the dirt from them and most carried about there normal routines but two individuals approached Hayate. Hayate peered towards them as one began to speak, " What do you think you are doing?" Hayate shrugged his shoulders and put a grin on his face while looking at the guards. "My apologies, you can tell Lady Kyou I'm more then happy to fix any damages I've created from that display! I have business I must attend to so I must be going." Hayate turned again and headed around the building they where standing at. He could see several locals going about there routines and shopping in the areas. Glancing back at the guard who was still watching Hayate walk towards his destination Hayate asked, "By the way how many guards are stationed here at the gate today?" The man looked at Hayate, "Normally there is around ten or twenty but since the South is here they are mostly needed throughout the town and helping to protect Lady Kyou! Why?" Hayate took note of the fact and he only saw two at the moment there. "No reason but keep your eye's out for anything that might look or sound suspicious. 

After finishing his conversation about his warning to the guard Hayate turned to face the gate's entrance. Walking up to it he took note of the defenses and how it was made. It seemed everything was in order and all intact. Hayate pondered for a few short moments and decided that, "It seems there must be a way." Hayate turned and walked towards several yards away from the gate, noticing the fountain in the center of the path in front of him he walked towards it, the water flowing from the top and sprinkling downwards in someplace quite heavily. A large tree on both its sides cast dancing shadows on the water as it flowed and as he go to the fountain he turned at sat on the rocky edge of its foundation. "It has to be here," he thought to himself. He wondered what he could do, its not like he found any solid evidence of anything just an ominous feeling and a gut instinct along with strategy. It seemed like hours that Hayate had been out and about this morning though it wasn't even close to being that long. Hayate rested his right hand upon the tip of one hilt running his thumb over it.  

Hunting for people in the city had its own set of challenges.  Kyle thought as he skidded past a car and turning into an alley.  He couldn’t simply watch his prey, he had to take note of the fact that there were other humans around and things were always going on in the city.

“Hey!” someone yelled after him as his bike’s mirror caught a hanging sheet and ripped it off a clothesline.  He ignored the cry and exited the other side of the alley and circled around to where the swordsman had stopped.  He caught sight of two more people, one of them a girl who was emerging from a broken-in tower.  She seemed to be talking to a young man.  Both appeared oblivious to the fact that they were being observed.

“Buddy, you can’t park here!”

Kyle’s mind snapped back to his body.  An irritable looking guard was gesturing at him and then at the garage entrance he was blocking.  No cars appeared to be heading in or out, but the guard’s scowl was pronounced.  Kyle, shrugging, grinned back at the guard, giving him a look that plainly said come over here and make me move.

“Kid, get outta the way.  We got enough problems today without troublemakers like you causing a commotion as well.  You don’t want to be arrested now would you?”

Kyle’s grin slackened slightly as the man came closer.  The man was an old fart, no challenge at all.  He caught the man’s eyes and he froze unable to move his limbs an inch.  The man’s eyes widened in fear.  Kyle didn’t even need to look to tell that his aura was a deep indigo and quavering like a candle flame in high wind.  His mouth twisted upward again.

“Aw, sir.  I am no troublemaker.  But pray tell, you said that there are problems going on today, right?  Me wonders what those problems are, so that I may not be mixed in with it.”  Lowering the intensity of his power, the guard was able to move his fingers and toes and, most importantly, his lips.

“I dunno much about what’s going on, but Lady Kyou spread the guards out around the city.  Lord Destined of the South is here and she probably wants to make sure nothing goes wrong during his stay.”

Of course.  The Southern dignitaries were supposed to be coming to the city today.  He’d vaguely heard something about that, but he didn’t follow news.  Could that have been what those supers were talking about on the roof?  Turning his attention back to his other eye, he was dismayed to see that everyone he had been watching had vanished.  Grunting, he held his hand out and his eyeball fell from the sky and landed lightly in his outstretched palm.

Kicking his motorcycle back into life, he drove it past the guard, grabbing the cap off his head and placing it squarely on his own.  It was a nice fit.

“It doesn't matter if he works for us or not.” The entire room grew colder as a young woman with pale, fragile-looking, skin calmly stepped into the room. Slowly she made her way over to the chair reserved for the leader of the Northern government then gracefully sat down.

“L-Lady Kyou!” Cassie shouted surprised at the unannounced arrival and shot up from her seat, saluting her superior while the others around the room save for Kallen did the same; a wave was all it took from the leader of the North to put her subjects at ease. From behind raven bangs two cold eyes stared directly at Zack while Kyou’s fingers intertwined, “Young man I don’t care if you are from the North or from the South. I do care if you have scammed my people out of their hard earned money . . . but I have more important things to turn my attention to than something as petty as you. So you will remain outside this room and remain quiet until we are finished, then I will deal with you.”

“Is that clear?” From the tone the Northern leader was giving, her question was more of a command.

"You’re the boss, milady. You will get no argument from this humble mercenary." The Southerner finally removed the mask he had been hiding behind this entire time, speaking now in a much clearer and with more intelligent tone than moments before. Zack gave a bow and as he rose, that was when Lora and Sieko broke through the wall and ended up on the opposite side. Coughing and upside down Lora just gave an uneasy chuckle as Kallen lowered her mechanical arm, waving at everyone in the room, “H-Hey . . . I’m here . . .”

“And I brought a volunteer . . .” Lora added raising Sieko’s arm that she still had hold of. Lady Kyou’s expression, though for a moment wide with surprise, returned to their normal stoic visage as soon as she saw who it was. The boy the excitable red-head had brought through the wall gave quite the loud groan. “Lora . . . next time . . . GIVE ME A HEADS UP!!”

“Sorry Sei,” Lora apologized getting up with some help from her newest friend, “Will do next time . . .”

Both now on their feet the twenty year noticed that all eyes were, naturally, on them. Ahem . . . sorry for the very loud interruption, Lady Kyou . . .”

Lady Kyou merely raised her hand; lowering her head enough to hide the small smile behind her other hand, “You will not be reprimanded for events not of your own doing Inoue. Though I must say, I am happy to see that my sword has finally decided to come to my side.”

“Yeah well,” Lora began putting a hand on her hip then motioned to Seiko, “Finding someone willing to volunteer took longer than I thought and I didn’t want to show up empty handed.”

Zack spoke up at this moment, “If it's alright with you I'll take my leave and wait outside the room, unless I too am needed for whatever this . . . volunteer, is doing?”

Lady Kyou turned her attention immediately away from Lora and Seiko and put it on Zack. She was ready to dismiss him, to let him know she did not need his assistance- as she didn’t trust him- but as she took the breath to begin speaking the sound of frantic footsteps echoed outside the room before the door flew open.

“Lady Kyou, are you alright!?” A man wearing a tattered old baseball cap shouted at the top of his head, Anne just as worried behind him, before the scene set in for him. Sighing in relief he sunk to his knees and put his face flat on the ground, “Oh thank the Four Gods . . . . it’s only Lora . . .”

“Hey! What do you mean it’s only me!?”

[hr]

“What do you think you are doing?” one of the two guards shouted, the same ones who had sent Zack into the main government building, now drunk and on their way to a street festival a few blocks away. Though drunk, they were on the job and were well trained to respond even in such a drunken stupor. For their question all they got from Hayate was a shrug and a grin, “My apologies, you can tell Lady Kyou I’m more than happy to fix any damages I’ve created from that display! I have business I must attend to so I must be going.”

“OH no you’re not!” one of the guards shouted getting ready to tackle Hayate before he could get away, planning on arresting him then and there for his little display. As the guard prepared to attack, Hayate turned back to look at him, startling the drunk, “By the way, how many guards are stationed here at the gate today?”

“W-What?” the guard asked dumbfounded about the question. Hayate didn’t seem to be dissuaded by the question and continued, “Normally, there is around ten or twenty. But since the South is here they are mostly needed throughout the town and helping to protect Lady Kyou. Why?”

“Well . . . you see . . .” the guard started and paused to try and string his thoughts together. If he hadn’t been intoxicated he’d have been able to tell Hayate the answer. Simply put, even after five years of restoration and peace within the walls most of the Northern military had left when Lady Kyou assumed her great-grandfather’s position. They didn’t believe she would be able to protect them and either went returned to the slums or went to the more outward looking powerhouse of the South.

“. . . . keep your eyes’ out for anything that might look or sound suspicious.”

“Y-Yes, sir!” the two guards shouted as they saluted Hayate; only after he had left did they realize he had no authority over them and they had been planning on arresting him.

Hayate walked to the fountain in the center a small market that was currently closed for the day due to the day’s events, most of the denizens having gone to the larger festivals deeper inside the city. The fountain was some creature that was considered a myth even back before the thousand year war, its fierce beak open wide in an eternal screech while water flowed out and down into the large pool beneath it.

“It has to be here,” Hayate thought to himself inspecting the fountain. He wondered what he could do, it’s not like he had found any solid evidence of any nefarious plot; just an ominous feeling and a gut instinct. It seemed like hours that Hayate had been out and about though it wasn't even close to being that long. Hayate rested his right hand upon the tip of one hilt running his thumb over it.

“E-Excuse me,” a small diminutive voice called out directly behind Hayate. No matter what he did when he turned around to look at the speaker the frail girl would flinch- she was that kind of a person. Her garbs were from the North and appeared to be, no they were, of the so-called religious sect that prayed to the Four Gods; if Hayate knew anything about the time before the thousand year war he would know that what she wore was a nun’s outfit.

Her silvery bangs covering most of her eyes she lowered her head down, hiding her face even more underneath those same bangs and the cap adorning her head, and began to shake in fear. The girl spoke in a fearful voice and motioned with her hands as she spoke, “I-I . . . a-ah . . . l-lost . . .  my family . . . we w-were going to . . . ummm . . . t-the festival so . . . can you . . . i-if you don’t mind . . . taking me . . . to . . . oh I hope I’m not bothering you . . . p-please?”

[hr]

“Hey! What do you mean it’s only me!?” Lora shouted stomping her foot, insulted. Norman got off his knees and dusted them off, “What I mean is when I heard a large crash coming from this room in particular I feared that someone had made an attempt on Lady Kyou’s life.”

“As you can see that is not the case, now move aside boy,” Destined’s firm, ominous voice originated from behind Norman before the communications lead was forcefully pushed out of the way. Stumbling Norman was back on his knees as the leader of the Southern delegation entered the room with two of his elite military officials by his side; the raven haired woman from before and a new face. Now inside the room Destined removed the large cigar from his mouth and exhaled an unnatural amount of smoke from his mouth, dark lined eyes peering back up at the Northern Leader sitting upright in her chair, “I believe we are all here Kyou and my patience is drawing thin. Are we going to begin this meeting now or are you will you tell me I must wait another hour in the presence of your . . .”

Destined’s eyes turned downward at Norman and gave him an utterly disgusted look before returning to Lady Kyou, “. . . . associates?”

Lady Kyou took a deep breath, slowly exhaling with practiced grace, and relaxed in her chair slightly, “I will not ask you to wait another hour.”

Destined bite down on his cigar and smiled, a moment later removing it when Lady Kyou resumed speaking. “I will, however, politely ask you wait a few minutes more. We have had unintentional guests this year. I hope it sits well with you that we indoctrinate them as well?”

“Make it quick then!”

Destined now had his back to Norman, the prior scowling at the dictator, and motioned for Zack and Seiko to approach him. When both were in front of him he sighed and fiddled with his baseball cap. Speaking to them in confidence Norman let either stop him at any time to ask a question before resuming, “Alright you two it seems Lady Kyou is going to let you two sit in on the meeting. For starters, feel honored. You’re about to hear a lot of things that aren’t supposed to be public knowledge. So remember whatever you heard in here you cannot repeat outside no matter what. Thankfully all either of you are going to have to do is stand over by the opening Lora made and make sure no one is stupid enough to try and get inside or send an attack through it.”

“Now before you two officially are allowed to sit in,” Norman began cracking his knuckles. With a small apologetic grin he threw both hands against Zack and Seiko’s foreheads, his eyes glowing white, “I’m going to have to read your minds . . .”

No secret was left unturned. No part of either of their history was left unexposed to Norman’s mental eyes as he tore through Zack and Seiko’s mind. The invasion of privacy was full and complete. Yet it wasn’t just knowledge of their pasts and their thoughts that Norman was gleaming from the two. Sure, he could see that Seiko viewed himself as “loyal to a fault” or that Zack fully intended on taking his hatred out on the current Southern regime; but he also felt what they had felt. He could feel the emptiness Seiko felt when he learned his father was presumed killed in action or the happiness given to Zack by Sunny. As the important information went from a rapid overflow to a small trickle Norman removed his hands, breaking the connection. The glow in their eyes fading the communications expert sighed; he never enjoyed invading people’s minds like he had too.

“Well?” Destined asked impatient to begin. Norman glared at him then addressed Lady Kyou, “They’re clear. We can begin whenever you’re ready Lady Kyou.”

“Right.” Though Lady Kyou didn’t move her lips, her thoughts echoed inside everyone’s heads; it was obvious to the newly initiated who was behind this, the culprit having just invaded their minds. “The fifth official meeting between the North and the South begins now.”

“Welcome Lord Destined.” Lady Kyou held out her hand towards Destined. The larger man smirked and took her hand, steam rising from the connected hands as they shook, “Greetings . . . Lady Kyou. We have much to discuss . . .”

[hr]

“Kid, get outta the way! We got enough problems today without troublemakers like you causing a commotion as well.  You don’t want to be arrested now would you?”

Kyle’s grin slackened slightly. The guard coughed and scratched his oversized back as he approached the young scoundrel. “I’m too old for this shit,” he thought to himself and locked eyes with Kyle. Unlike before he froze, unable to move his limbs at all. Panic set in before he could quell it, and the boy’s twisted smile only strengthened that fear. “Aw, sir.  I am no troublemaker.  But pray tell, you said that there are problems going on today, right?  Me wonders what those problems are, so that I may not be mixed in with it.” 

Whatever sensation had caused the guard to begin to panic disappeared; even the boy looked less frightening. Regaining his composure the man coughed once again and straightened his hat, “I dunno much about what’s going on in the main building, but Lady Kyou spread the guards out around the city.  Lord Destined is here and she probably wants to make sure nothing goes wrong during his stay.”

Kicking his motorcycle back into life, Kyle drove past the guard, and grabbing the cap off his head then placed it squarely on his own. Watching in dismay as the boy drove off with his hat the guard let his mouth hang open for a split second before he shouted, “H-Hey! My hat! Give that back!”

Rolling up his sleeves the guard leaned forward, ready to unleash his power and retrieve his hat back. A flash of someone running past him caused him to stop as well as a shout, “Don’t fret old man, I’ll get your hat back or else my name isn’t Trent, the Lost Fighter!”

Running after the motorcycle and managing to keep up, though not catching up, the bulky man grinned as he chased down his prey. No matter how many turns or obstacles were put in his way Trent never lost sight of what he was tracking. When he leapt from one of the boxes that seemed to be everywhere and entering a busy festival Trent took hold of a piece of fruit. One bite and he spat a seed into his palm, his grin growing even more. Now he had ammunition!

“Yo bud! Catch!” Hurling the seed with incredible force the kernel acted more like an armor piercing round and went straight through the engine of Kyle’s motorcycle- killing it instantly. Landing perfectly, the crowd applauding his amazing feat of strength, Trent crossed his muscular arms and grinned at Kyle, “Bud you picked the wrong person to try and outrun! Now come get some!”

“You will not be reprimanded for events not of your own doing Inoue. Though I must say, I am happy to see that my sword has finally decided to come to my side.”

This made Seiko smile a bit, as he bowed slightly at Lady Kyou. He spoke not a word, as he stood back up, before watching Norman barge in right afterwords. Though at the same time, he met Destined face to face. Just the sight of him made every fiber in Seiko's body tense up...something about him was just wrong. Nevertheless, his attention was of course, returned to Norman.

“Alright you two it seems Lady Kyou is going to let you two sit in on the meeting. For starters, feel honored. You’re about to hear a lot of things that aren’t supposed to be public knowledge. So remember whatever you heard in here you cannot repeat outside no matter what. Thankfully all either of you are going to have to do is stand over by the opening Lora made and make sure no one is stupid enough to try and get inside or send an attack through it.”

"A job simple enough." Seiko smirked as he cracked his knuckles some. "Let's hope that it doesn't get that far..." In thought, however...he was definitely hoping it w-

“Now before you two officially are allowed to sit in, I’m going to have to read your minds . . .”

Shit...

That was something he didn't feel comfortable about. Reading his mind...his mind was the one thing he didn't want anyone to know about. It was his personal safe-haven, so to speak. But then again, as long as it wasn't one of the Southerners...or these things being left in the open...

Regardless, Seiko's mind lay open to Norman as he intruded. He saw the outward appearance of the Inoue man, his "Loyal to a fault" attitude and how much he gave to help out the North. However, he went further...and that's when he began to feel what Seiko felt.

There was an emptiness within him...the loss of his mother...the loss of his father...and almost no hope that he was even alive. Yes, Norman felt all this and bringing it back to Seiko's memory, almost made him cringe. For so long, he did his best to move on...but now...well...

“They’re clear. We can begin whenever you’re ready Lady Kyou.”

Seiko felt him leave his mind as he shook his head a bit. He remained quiet as he stood by the huge hole in the wall, shaking his head slightly as he watched the meeting proceed.

Zack observed as Destined entered the room following a few more of Lady Kyou's already sizable list of associates. While Zack wasn't exactly one of Lady Kyou's top supporters, he did like her considerable more than Destined (a notion strongly supported by the fact that she was indeed a lady), and was not entirely pleased with Destined's clearly derogatory tone.

Lady Kyou resumed speaking. “I will, however, politely ask you wait a few minutes more. We have had unintentional guests this year. I hope it sits well with you that we indoctrinate them as well?”

“Make it quick then!”

Zack then noticed the one people had coined Norman was motioning for him to approach. Keeping a wary eye on Destined, Zack moved towards Norman. Zack stood side by side with the one Lady Kyou had addressed as Inoue, and waited as Norman fidgeted with his cap.

That thing looks so tacky on his head...

Norman then began to speak, “Alright you two it seems Lady Kyou is going to let you two sit in on the meeting. For starters, feel honored. You’re about to hear a lot of things that aren’t supposed to be public knowledge. So remember whatever you heard in here you cannot repeat outside no matter what. Thankfully all either of you are going to have to do is stand over by the opening Lora made and make sure no one is stupid enough to try and get inside or send an attack through it.”

Simple enough, though that doesn't explain why I'm needed. They could just have this guy stand on the outside, and I could wait in the lobby like a good little boy...yeah right. I'm totally ditching this crowd of stuck ups first chance I get. Though I wish I had some more time to talk with that Kallen chick, I'm certain I could've broken the ice in a few more hours.

“Now before you two officially are allowed to sit in,” Norman began cracking his knuckles. With a small apologetic grin he threw both hands against Zack and Seiko’s foreheads, his eyes glowing white, “I’m going to have to read your minds . . .”

Zack's eyes went wide as this statement was made. Like hell your looking inside my head! Zack roared this thought as he tried his hardest to resist the invader. Zack couldn't be sure how effective he was at it, but he was stubborn enough to try anyway. Some things in his head, he wanted to forget, let alone let someone else know about them. After a moment Zack felt the presence retreat from his mind, at the same time he heard Norman speaking.

“They’re clear. We can begin whenever you’re ready Lady Kyou.”

“Right.” Though Lady Kyou didn’t move her lips, her thoughts echoed inside everyone’s heads; it was obvious to the newly initiated who was behind this, the culprit having just invaded their minds. “The fifth official meeting between the North and the South begins now.”

“Welcome Lord Destined.” Lady Kyou held out her hand towards Destined. The larger man smirked and took her hand, steam rising from the connected hands as they shook, “Greetings . . . Lady Kyou. We have much to discuss . . .”

Zack said nothing and simply stood beside his counterpart, alternating his glare between Destined and Norman, who had officially made his bad business list. While Zack's eyes were menacing his thoughts were a bit scattered for the moment, trying to orient himself to thinking while others were talking in his head. It then dawned on him exactly what role Lady Kyou and Destined played at this meeting.

Awww dammit, des guys are gunna do nuthin but political posturin, aren't they? Zack reverting to what he considered his 'fun' persona's voice and attitude.

Barely able to navigate the roads with the preparations for the festival, Kyle had to slow down.  He knew he was being chased and since they managed to keep up with him going at a much higher speed, he knew he had little hope to outrun his pursuer now.  What he did not expect was a shout of “Catch!” before a seed blasted through the engine with the force of an armor-piercing bullet.  Jerking wildly, the bike nearly crashed into one of the many stands around the street, and it was all he could do to not get thrown off and keep the bike in control.

Finally skidding to a stop, Kyle turned around to face his pursuer.  What he saw was a surprisingly bulky Super who crossed his arms as he grinned.  Fire was in his eyes as he called a challenge at Kyle.  Kyle, for his part, was not surprised.  ‘I did nab a hat off a guard,’ he thought before dismounting from his bike, surreptitiously dropping his eye and willing it to find a good spot to observe the scene, and dusting himself off.  He lowered the cap on his head then clapped with the crowd.

“Well, well!  That was a surprise!  Was that your throwing arm?”  He called over.  A plan was starting to form in his mind as he scanned this man’s aura.

“Catch!” Hurling the seed with incredible force the kernel acted more like an armor piercing round and went straight through the engine of Kyle’s motorcycle- killing it instantly. Jerking wildly, the bike nearly crashed into one of the many stands around the street, and it was all Kyle could do to not get thrown off and keep the bike in control. Despite Kyle nearly crashing the crowd applauded Trent’s amazing feat of strength while he crossed his muscular arms and grinned at Kyle, “Bud you picked the wrong person to try and outrun! Now come get some!”

Kyle, for his part, was not surprised, dismounting from his bike and dusting himself off.  He lowered the cap on his head then clapped with the crowd. “Well, well!  That was a surprise! Was that your throwing arm?”

Trent just chuckled as if Kyle had told a joke, shrugging and looking back up at the other super. The man’s eyes were ablaze with the desire for a fight, but behind that was something else, “Nah man if that was my throwing arm you’d know.”

“Speaking of which!” Trent snapped his fingers and looked around, his eyes scanning the surrounding area for something. Before he found whatever it was he had been looking for the excitement in his eyes died and he scowled, bringing one hand up to the side of his head. “Yes? No I know what we’re supposed to be doing. Look! You heard the boss, we can do whatever we want until the fireworks go off then we go back on the clock, alright?”

Realizing he was being stared at Trent put his hand back down and the playful smile returned, “Sorry that was rude . . . won’t happen again. So since I have some time to kill . . .”

The playful smile took on a deadly characteristic; what had been hiding behind those excited eyes now obvious- murderous intent. Trent took a deep breath and exhaled, slamming his foot into the ground with immense power, cracking the ground all around him and sending the entire area into what felt like a miniature Earthquake. The spectators who moments before thought they were going to get a friendly competition soon realized that wasn’t the case and began to flee as the buildings around them began to crack.

“Don’t die too quickly on me man! I want to have some fun before I get to work!” Trent shouted and dug his hand into the street underfoot, hurling a massive slab of concrete towards Kyle.

[hr]

“Greetings . . . Lady Kyou. We have much to discuss . . .”

The entire room was quite for a few seconds as the leaders of the North and South shook hands, the steam rising faster and faster, filling the room with a cold fog that clung to the floor. All eyes were on Lady Kyou and Destined . . .

“Awww dammit, des guys are gunna do nuthin but political posturin, aren't they?” Zack thought, reverting to what he considered his 'fun' persona's voice and attitude. Every eye that had been on the two leaders immediately turned to Zack- his inner thoughts being turned outward by Norman.

The reactions were as varied as the people in the room. Some had looks of content, as if questioning how someone like Zack could dare speak ill of Destined; others merely sighed and shook their heads; while others seemed to be annoyed that Zack had even decided to speak at all, this expression the most evident on Kallen’s face.

Lady Kyou’s expression was unreadable as was Destined’s, though his was more unable to tell if he was mildly annoyed or contemplating how best to kill Zack once he had the opportunity. Luckily before anyone could say anything else Lora merely waved her hand, rolling her eyes, “Well yeah . . . they are the leaders of the North and South. What did you think they were going to talk about?”

“Don’t answer that,” Kallen thought before anyone had a chance to speak up. For that little fumble Lady Kyou merely continued as if it had never happened, offering Destined a chair across from her which the Southern leader gratefully took. With the leaders in their seat the others took up their assigned positions as they did every single time before. Lora and Anne were behind Lady Kyou, on her right and left respectively; Kallen sat closer to Destined on his left and opposite to her on the table was Micco, closer to Lady Kyou’s right, an act to even the playing field if one of the leaders had it in them to make an assassination attempt; Norman and man wearing what looked very much like what a Western Raider would wear sat beside him.

And for a while, nothing but politics was what the two spoke about. How the citizens in their respective territories were holding up; if they had good crops this year or not and what relief the other could do if needed; and so on. For what felt like hours the two went on with menial details about running what could be considered an empire. Yet though it was all political talk, there was an underlying tension that filled the room the same as the fog the two leaders had created. Every thought Destined said was laced with sarcasm, derogatoriness, and distain; constantly prodding with the unadulterated purpose of getting Lady Kyou to explode and attack him. Lady Kyou, on the other hand, had a soft smile reminiscent of a calm day after a gentle night’s snow, yet her words were harsher than any blizzard one could imagine, constantly throwing everything Destined said in his attempts to upset her right back at him.

[hr]

“Wow thank you so much for bringing me here,” the young nun said holding onto Hayate’s hand, squeezing it tightly as they went through a thick crowd of people. Her face red but smiling she looked over at the man who had helped her and quickly let go of his hand, “S-Sorry . . . I didn’t mean to hold onto your hand for so long.”

“There are so many people here,” the nun said wishfully and gazed out at the mass of people, her eyes distant. Lost in thought she merely gazed at the crowd of happy people walking about and giggled at the sight.

[hr]

With his same tactics that always failed did so, unsurprisingly, yet again, Destined changed strategy. “I must admit reconstruction has been going slower than expected. We have not met the goals I set for my new country when I was granted control. We are far behind.”

“The North is always welcome to lend supplies,” Lady Kyou suggested again; supplies, not men. She had no desire to give the madman across from her people to bolster his army. Destined breathed heavily out through his nose, lowering his head and shaking it, “It’s not that we do not have the supplies nor the Supers to do so.”

“Then why do you bring the subject up Destined!?” Kallen shouted but with a quick glance from Lady Kyou she shrunk back into her chair, “Sorry Kyou . . .”

“We have been having an unexpected increase in assaults by Western forces,” Destined began, a small flicker of smoke rising from his body, “They have stuck to the slums since my arrival to power and have yet to venture within my sphere of influence since the . . . last unfortunate garrisons went missing . . . but now they are striking with not only more humans than I expected, but with precision and purpose.”

“We lose a few Supers every time they assault the South,” Destined thought and for once his voice seemed genuinely saddened, “I do not have the force to rebuild and fend off the Western Raiders.”

“Well this is unexpected,” Anne thought only loud enough for Zack, Sieko, and Lora to hear, “Destined is actually asking for help.”

“I don’t trust him,” Lora replied scowling at the Southern leader with his head still held low.

“Do you honestly believe I believe your story much less would willingly give you troops to command even if it was?” Lady Kyou coldly responded. She would aid the South if his story was true. Have Kallen go out and help fend of the Western raiders, but never until her death would she give him command of any Supers.

“I know you would not,” Destined replied standing up in his chair, a grin on his face, “That’s why-”

The leader of the Southern Empire was cut short when the entire room they were currently in shook violently, knocking everyone to the ground.

Seiko was so glad he didn't just start thinking literally out loud, as it proved from Zack that, their thoughts were turned loose by Norman. Nevertheless, Seiko stood and watched the two leaders talk or...think to each other as it seemed to get very heated in debate.

We have been having an unexpected increase in assaults by Western forces,they have stuck to the slums since my arrival to power and have yet to venture within my sphere of influence since the . . . last unfortunate garrisons went missing . . . but now they are striking with not only more humans than I expected, but with precision and purpose. We lose a few Supers every time they assault the South I do not have the force to rebuild and fend off the Western Raiders.”

“Well this is unexpected, Destined is actually asking for help.”

Anne was right however...Destined asking for help? It was very unexpected. Thankfully Anne thought this to where only a certain select was able to hear...and Seiko being one of them.

“I don’t trust him.”

"Agreed. Stay alert though..." Seiko thought to Lora, his fists clenching tightly as he continued to watch the negotiations proceed. However, he could tell things were getting heated...and not in the good way. Everyone heard Lady Kyou's response, as they expected it to be her reaction...but Destined seemed all too relaxed, as he stood up from his chair.

However, as the Southern leader spoke, he was cut short as the whole room began to shake violently, throwing everyone onto the ground. Seiko tried his best to keep his footing, but he too was thrown onto the ground. He quickly got up and looked around the room. "You!" he yelled, as he pointed to a few guards slowly getting back up. "Keep Lady Kyou protected at all times, ASAP!" he said, before looking at Lora.

"What was that?!"

Archived