OCG/PSCT Helping Center

Atypical-Abbie

Question

Hello. I figured that due to my knowledge in how to write cards, I would made a dedicated topic to answering all of your questions regarding PSCT/OCG. You can both to fix your cards, or specific questions about how something works. In case anyone feels confident enough, you can help people out as well if you wish.

I also suggest reading my thread on PSCT/OCG as well to get a good overview on how to word your cards:

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/322020-ocgpsct-thread-writing-your-card-properly/

Rules and notes:

You must have the entire text you wish for me to fix in your post. This means that if you just post an image, I will not fix it.

Please explain as much as you can about how your card is intended to work, I may not fully understand your card otherwise.

Only one fix at a time. I don't have time to fix your entire Archetype.

If your card does something not seen before, it's likely I will simply use my own opinion on how to word it, typically by using cards that have effects that are similar in nature to your card.

When I fix your cards, I will attempt to explain what you did wrong, and I will also follow:

Anything that's bold are places with wrong capitalization. Anything red is added text. Anything blue is changed text.

Might as well get help on this card's OCG, since I'm a bit unsure on how to word it properly (even if I more/less understand PSCT well enough at this point).

"If you take damage and your LP is reduced to half or less of your starting amount at the beginning of the Duel, you can Special Summon this card from your hand in Defense Position, and if you do, this card's DEF becomes equal to the damage you took before Special Summoning this card."

Basically, idea is to have it be able to SS itself when you take damage + have your LP reduced to half/less, and then power up its DEF by the damage you took BEFORE summoning this card. Probably thinking of something similar to Ogre of the Scarlet Shadow, but not really sure.

(It's for a fanfic card, so the mechanic is awkward + wouldn't translate well in real life)

Wanted to thank you for correcting my wording on the Calamity Bishop. I've edited it accordingly, and even posted up the entire Archetype so far in Experimental Cards (since they focus on getting to Level 13). Will probably be coming back with more cards soon, as I am currently working on 4 archetypes, including the Calamity one. xD

When this monster is Summoned: Special Summon 1 "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Token" (Machine-Type/LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your opponent's side of the field in the same position as this card. "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Tokens" cannot be used as Tribute. If this card is targeted for an attack or card effect: You can change the target to 1 "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Token" your opponent controls. If "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Token" is targeted for an attack or card effect: You can change the target to this card.  You can only use 1 "Facet of the Infinite Mirror" effect per turn, and only once that turn. This card you control and "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Token" your opponent controls must be face-up on the field to resolve this effect.

1. You have to mention the Token by name. It is tedious to write it over and over again; I know.

2. Based on the fixes, the OPT thing activates on the redirection effects only.

3. Yeah, new PSCT says that if the required targets aren't on the field or wherever, things can't trigger. Hence, why the clause is put at the end; so it doesn't interfere with the limiter thing.

Although, did you intend for the redirection effects to occur only once while the monster is in play, or an OPT thing?

The redirection effects are changed to "if" statements, because you have the choice of making them redirect.

"When" statements dictate that you MUST use it.

(Note to self, I am not writing C programs)

*long post*

Hopefully I am understanding this right:

If you intend to heal based on the damage you inflict, you will always have to take the damage first, since the game state has not yet determined the amount of LP you inflict before you actually inflict it. As such, it's not possible to have an effect that works the way you want, but I can do something similar, that being calculating the difference in in ATK or DEF when you target the opponent's monster for an attack. This is what you would do during damage calculation when you figure out how much damage to inflict. The only issue being that face-down monsters would not work, otherwise you would need to use the "before damage calculation" thing instead.

"Equip only to a "Flayed One" monster. If it targets an opponent's face-up monster for an attack, if you did not activate this effect during your previous turn: You can gain LP equal to the difference between the equipped monster's ATK and the attack target's ATK or DEF (depending on its battle position) x 3."

You can remove the things in parentheses in case you just want to calculate based on the ATK only, that's a bit simpler. I wish I could do it simpler than that, but creating strange effects like that will cause longer effects. Also, I would probably advice you to not use the "x 3", but simply just gain LP equal to the difference itself, it seems pretty excessive, and you can gain a huge amount of LP that way too. It's always important to make something like this as clear as possible.

Haven't posted any of my cards on this site before, and before I start, I'd like to try and get some OCG corrections with certain cards. This is one of the worst offenders, and no matter what I try and do, I can't seem to figure out how to correct it, so I just decided to come and ask for help. xD

"This card gains 50 DEF x the combined levels of all face-up "Calamity" monsters you control. During each player's Standby Phase, place 1 Calamity counter on this card. Once per turn, you can remove any number of Calamity counters from this card to target 1 "Calamity" monster you control. Increase the targeted monster's level by the number of counters removed by this effect."

If you can help, thanks a lot. :D

Here's a card that could use some help with the exact wording:

Geologic Celestial Rift

Field Spell

While you control an Attack Position "Travelerock" monster: Switch the ATK and DEF of all face-up monsters on the field. Negate the effect of any other cards that would change the ATK/DEF of a monster(s) on the field, other than itself.

The card should work like this:

1. The ATK/DEF switch effect should be active while you have at least one monster that meets its requirement; the other monsters you have after that shouldn't matter.
  2. It switches the current ATK/DEF, not the original ATK/DEF.
  3. It shouldn't negate its own effect, for obvious reasons.
  4. If part of a card effect includes non-optional continuous ATK/DEF changes for other cards, my card negates the whole effect; for example, Fire Formation - Tenki can't search.
  5. The negation doesn't apply if the ATK/DEF change is a monster effect (either continuous or trigger) that works only on itself.

For a few examples:

• Batteryman 9-Volt works unhindered.
  • Yosenju Tsujik can use its effect on itself, giving itself 1000 DEF instead of 1000 ATK. It's not negated since it's a trigger effect, but it would fail if it tried to boost a different Yosenju.
  • Chaos Necromancer's effect isn't negated, but it gains 300 DEF instead of 300 ATK.
  • Honest can still bounce itself.
  • Gachi Gachi Gantetsu's effects are negated, both the ATK/DEF increase and the destruction resist, because it's a mandatory continuous effect.
  • If Abyss Dweller has a WATER monster attached, its whole effect is negated, but if it doesn't, it works normally. Same reason as above.

Haven't posted any of my cards on this site before, and before I start, I'd like to try and get some OCG corrections with certain cards. This is one of the worst offenders, and no matter what I try and do, I can't seem to figure out how to correct it, so I just decided to come and ask for help. xD

"This card gains 50 DEF x the combined levels of all face-up "Calamity" monsters you control. During each player's Standby Phase, place 1 Calamity counter on this card. Once per turn, you can remove any number of Calamity counters from this card to target 1 "Calamity" monster you control. Increase the targeted monster's level by the number of counters removed by this effect."

If you can help, thanks a lot. :D

Anything that's bold are places with wrong capitalization. Anything red is added text. Anything blue is changed text.

This card gains DEF equal to the Levels combined Levels of all "Calamity" monsters you control x 50. During each player's Standby Phase, place 1 Calamity Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove any number of Calamity Counters from this card, then target 1 "Calamity" monster you control; increase the Level of that target by the number of Calamity Counters removed.

When talking about specific Counters, always capitalize both words.

When you have an effect that activate that has condition, such as "once per turn", you must have a colon to indicate that it has that. If it targets or has a cost, you must have a semi-colon before the effect happens. 

Although, did you intend for the redirection effects to occur only once while the monster is in play, or an OPT thing?

Ahh, it's not once per turn, but once per effect/battle. You can redirect as many effects/battles as you want (assuming both the card and token are on the field after each one) across as many copies as you want in one turn. What you cannot do is keep bouncing the same effect/battle back and forth ad infinitum. (That might be a given, but I wanted to be safe.)

I'm back (sorry!).

Facet of the Infinite Mirror

LIGHT | Level 1 | Machine | Effect

0/0

When this monster is summoned: Special Summon 1 "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Token" (Machine-Type/LIGHT/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) to your opponent's side of the field in the same position as this monster. "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Tokens" cannot be used as Tribute. When this card is the target of an effect or battle, you may change the target to the corresponding token. When the corresponding token is the target of an effect or battle, you may change the target to this card. You may only use one of these effects, and only once per targeted effect.

The card should function as follows:

• Upon a successful summon, summon the token on your opponent's side of the field.
  • Upon targeting the card with an effect or battle, you may change the target to the token.
  • Upon targeting the token, you may change the target to the card.
  • You can only change the target once (no infinite redirection) per targeted effect.

(I have a similar card where, when the card or token is destroyed, the other is destroyed.)

My concerns are as follows:

1. Can I get away with "corresponding token," or do I have to write out "Facet of the Infinite Mirror Token" each time?
  2. The "you may only use one of these effects" only applies to the redirection effects, but it may also apply to the token effect the way the card is worded.
  3. Do I have to specify that the effect is only valid if both the card and the token are on the field?

[spoiler=Image]ghTPm7k.jpg[/spoiler]
A card I'm working on for a weekly competition over at YugiohForums. I'm having trouble rewording the first effect (essentially a direct copy from normal Gol'gar) with PSCT since there isn't anything really close that I can work off of in order to make it clear that:

• You can place the A-Counters on any monsters
  • The total number of counters you can place is equal to the number of cards returned at resolution
Essentially what the effect in question is supposed to do is:
  • Target any number of Spell/Traps
  • Return them to the hand
  • Give you a number of A-Counters equal to the number of cards returned at resolution to put on whatever face-up monsters you like
"Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by "Assault Mode Activate", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn: You can target any number of Spell/Trap Cards on the field; return them to the hand, then place a number of A-Counters on face-up monsters on the field equal to the number of cards returned to the hand by this effect. Your opponent cannot activate the targeted card(s) in response to this effect's activation. You can remove 2 A-Counters from anywhere on the field, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it. When this card on the field is destroyed: You can target 1 "Cosmic Fortress Gol'gar" in your Graveyard; Special Summon it."

So far I've managed to work something out of Qliphort Monolith, Snowdust Giant and Tackle Crusader, and although Snowdust Giant says 'place that many counters' I don't feel that it makes it clear that it needs to be the number of cards returned at resolution, however I feel that the effect I have at the moment is too long and could be interpreted as:
  • Place any number of A-Counters on as many monsters on the field as there were cards returned
Cheers!

Updated stuff in BLUE, with some explanations.

Hey, I require some more assistance with this card text for a Pendulum Effect:

Once, when a card's effect is activated and resolved, you can activate the appropriate effect depending on the card activated:
● Trap Card: Place 1 "Trap Adapt" counter on this card. "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by the effects of Trap Cards while this card has a "Trap Adapt" counter.
● Spell Card: Place 1 "Spell Adapt" counter on this card. "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by the effects of Spell Cards while this card has a "Spell Adapt" counter.
● Monster Card: Place 1 "Monster Adapt" counter on the card. "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by the effects of Monster Cards while this card has a "Monster Adapt" counter.

Intended effect: when effects are resolved after certain cards are activated, this card grants destruction immunity based on the card activated. Wording was modified from the new Horus monster. However, there are some things to keep in mind:
- the "Once" is intended, since the cards have an effect to prevent their own destruction by removing the counter, but you would not be able to get it back. The card is supposed to lose the destruction prevention effect once the counter is removed. It's also intended since it's easier to put than there can only be 1 counter on the card. I also have a continuous trap card that uses a similar effect, but the difference being that you can replenish the counter on the trap after you remove it with another kind.

So I guess what I'm looking for is if there's a way to make this wording shorter and more efficient. If you can help me out this, I would greatly appreciate it! If not, no worries.

Once, when a card's effect is activated and resolves: You can activate the appropriate effect:

● Spell Card: Place 1 Spell Adapt Counter on this card. While this card has a Spell Adapt Counter, "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by Spell effects.
● Trap Card: Place 1 Trap Adapt Counter on this card. While this card has a Trap Adapt Counter, "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by Trap effects.
● Monster Card: Place 1 Monster Adapt Counter on the card. While this card has a Monster Adapt Counter, "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by monster effects.

Basically, the changes are the capitalization of Counter, since it lists a specific one. See Zazu's earlier fixes.

Also, moved the Spell one to the top; using Van'Dalgyon's ordering of thing.

Removed the "effects of" stuff from the S/T things; using wording from BW - Kris the Dawn.

[spoiler=Image]ghTPm7k.jpg[/spoiler]
A card I'm working on for a weekly competition over at YugiohForums. I'm having trouble rewording the first effect (essentially a direct copy from normal Gol'gar) with PSCT since there isn't anything really close that I can work off of in order to make it clear that:

• You can place the A-Counters on any monsters
  • The total number of counters you can place is equal to the number of cards returned at resolution
Essentially what the effect in question is supposed to do is:
  • Give you a number of A-Counters equal to the number of cards returned at resolution to put on whatever face-up monsters you like
"Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by "Assault Mode Activate", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn: You can target any number of Spell/Trap Cards on the field; return them to the hand, then place a number of A-Counters on face-up monsters on the field equal to the number of cards returned to the hand by this effect. Your opponent cannot activate the targeted card(s) in response to this effect's activation. You can remove 2 A-Counters from anywhere on the field, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it. When this card on the field is destroyed: You can target 1 "Cosmic Fortress Gol'gar" in your Graveyard; Special Summon it."

So far I've managed to work something out of Qliphort Monolith, Snowdust Giant and Tackle Crusader, and although Snowdust Giant says 'place that many counters' I don't feel that it makes it clear that it needs to be the number of cards returned at resolution, however I feel that the effect I have at the moment is too long and could be interpreted as:
  • Place any number of A-Counters on as many monsters on the field as there were cards returned
Cheers!

"Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by "Assault Mode Activate", and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn: You can target any number of Spell/Trap Cards on the field; return them to the hand, then place a equal number of A-Counters on face-up monsters on the field. Your opponent cannot activate the targeted card(s) in response to this effect's activation. You can remove 2 A-Counters from anywhere on the field, then target 1 card on the field; destroy it. When this card on the field is destroyed: You can target 1 "Cosmic Fortress Gol'gar" in your Graveyard; Special Summon it."

The bolded part has been reworded to say "place an equal number of A-Counters".

Basically, your interpretation is correct (bounce any amount of S/T cards, then distribute A-Counters equal to how many cards got bounced).

I know, Konami changes their OCG every so often; and the wording gets confusing after a while.

I'm trying to resolve an issue of timing, as it were. All the monsters in my custom "Flayed One" Archetype have the following text:

All battle damage your opponent takes from battles involving this card is also inflicted to you.

Now, to the best of my understanding, if I set a trigger for something that happened during a battle, like damage, it would happen after this effect resolved. The issue I have is that I'm trying to heal based on damage dealt... before damage calculation resolves. Otherwise, you could die before you heal from the effect.

The order of events I'm looking for is:

1. Declare attack
  2. Heal from effect (in this case, based on damage dealt)
  3. Resolve damage calculation
  4. Continue with duel

Equip only to a "Flayed One" monster.

• When the equipped monster battles an Attack Position monster, before damage calculation: If you did not activate one of these effects during your last turn, you can gain LP equal to 3 times the difference between the ATK of the battling monsters. Your opponent's battling monster must have less ATK than the ATK of your battling monster to activate and resolve this effect.
  • When the equipped monster battles a Defense Position monster and deals piercing damage, before damage calculation: If you did not activate one of these effects during your last turn, you can gain LP equal to 3 times the difference between the ATK of the equipped monster and the DEF of the other monster. Your opponent's battling monster must have less DEF than the ATK of your battling monster to activate and resolve this effect.

That's what a friend and I came up with. It's... ugly, and heals even if the battle damage is negated. I'd much rather run with something that looks like this...

Equip only to a "Flayed One" monster. When the equipped monster inflicts battle damage to your opponent: If you did not activate this effect last turn, you may gain LP equal to 3 times the damage inflicted.

...except that wouldn't heal until after damage calculation, and thus after the recoil effect went through.

I suppose my questions are these:

1. Is my understanding of the timing right?
  2. If so, is there a way to adapt the second version so it heals before damage calculation, or make the first version less ugly?

Hey, I require some more assistance with this card text for a Pendulum Effect:

Once, when a card's effect is activated and resolved, you can activate the appropriate effect depending on the card activated:
● Trap Card: Place 1 "Trap Adapt" counter on this card. "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by the effects of Trap Cards while this card has a "Trap Adapt" counter.
● Spell Card: Place 1 "Spell Adapt" counter on this card. "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by the effects of Spell Cards while this card has a "Spell Adapt" counter.
● Monster Card: Place 1 "Monster Adapt" counter on the card. "Malefection" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by the effects of Monster Cards while this card has a "Monster Adapt" counter.

Intended effect: when effects are resolved after certain cards are activated, this card grants destruction immunity based on the card activated. Wording was modified from the new Horus monster. However, there are some things to keep in mind:
- the "Once" is intended, since the cards have an effect to prevent their own destruction by removing the counter, but you would not be able to get it back. The card is supposed to lose the destruction prevention effect once the counter is removed. It's also intended since it's easier to put than there can only be 1 counter on the card. I also have a continuous trap card that uses a similar effect, but the difference being that you can replenish the counter on the trap after you remove it with another kind.

So I guess what I'm looking for is if there's a way to make this wording shorter and more efficient. If you can help me out this, I would greatly appreciate it! If not, no worries.

This would probably be better in Custom Cards; given that PSCT falls under that.

With that said, we already have a lot of stickies in the section as is; some of them may need to be moved/unstickied, since they're either outdated or unnecessary.

That being said, I do appreciate the idea, because indeed OCG is something a good amount of users struggle with at times.

This would probably be better in Custom Cards; given that PSCT falls under that.

With that said, we already have a lot of stickies in the section as is; some of them may need to be moved/unstickied, since they're either outdated or unnecessary.

That being said, I do appreciate the idea, because indeed OCG is something a good amount of users struggle with at times.

I posted it here since people may go here to ask questions about this subject. Also, I don't think it can be in every section, correct me if I'm wrong, so that could be an issue.

Move it as you want, I don't mind where it is honestly.

Might as well get help on this card's OCG, since I'm a bit unsure on how to word it properly (even if I more/less understand PSCT well enough at this point).

"If you take damage and your LP is reduced to half or less of your starting amount at the beginning of the Duel, you can Special Summon this card from your hand in Defense Position, and if you do, this card's DEF becomes equal to the damage you took before Special Summoning this card."

Basically, idea is to have it be able to SS itself when you take damage + have your LP reduced to half/less, and then power up its DEF by the damage you took BEFORE summoning this card. Probably thinking of something similar to Ogre of the Scarlet Shadow, but not really sure.

(It's for a fanfic card, so the mechanic is awkward + wouldn't translate well in real life)

By before you Summon it, you mean the damage you took when the effect was triggered?

Your wording appears pretty solid, but just to clarify a something:  Your Gachi Gachi and Abyss Dweller examples will not work if they are the only monsters on the field that are acceptable "targets" for their respective boosts.  They may provide the boost to everything, but if they are the only "targets" for said boost, then they are technically only boosting themselves and so their effects will work.

I'll just keep it in here as a sticky topic; works well enough, considering OCG questions get asked here on certain occasions.

So yeah, probably best if it stays here instead of being shafted to CC. (Also has some applications for TCG things, considering the card grammar changes sometimes in those cases.)

(Then again, Q&A is under the list of forums I'm responsible for, so...)

----

That being said, I can help out with fixes if needed.

Struggling with a type of summoning technique and how to word it. Right my idea is for a half-Pendulum archetype I'm working on (as in half the maindeck monsters are Pendulums). The idea is that you can Synchro Summon by sending a tuner and a face-up Pendulum monster in your Extra Deck with the same level as the tuner to the graveyard, then summon the monster with the same level.

Now my idea was for that to be in the Tuner's effect, but I'm starting to think that this should be included in the Synchro monster's effect.

Right now, I think it should be worded like this:

Must be Synchro Summoned by sending 1 "________" Tuner monster from your field and 1 face-up "_________" Pendulum monster from your Extra Deck with the same level to the grave.

Also keep in mind that the Synchros are supposed to be Synchro Pendulums (this is actually a fairly confusing archetype when I dig into it, but I think I've got it so far), so don't add anything like "And cannot be Special Summoned by other means" effects. My other idea is for the tuners to have the effect

When using this card as a Synchro Material Monster, the other Synchro Material Monster is 1 face-up Level ___  "_________" monster in your Extra Deck.

Thoughts? Does this properly convey that both are sent to the Grave?

Thanks for the help!

[spoiler=Card]XKKPNhZl.jpg

2 Level 6 Monsters
Once per turn: You can Detach 1 Xyz Material; Inflict 500 Damage to your opponent. Once while this card is face-up on the field: You can banish 1 ""The End" Phantom Dragon Abyss" from your Extra Deck and tribute 1 monster you control; Until the End Phase, this card gains 1500 ATK and the following effect  •When this card's attack destroys an opponent's monster by battle: you can flip 2 face-up cards in your Extra Deck face-down; Destroy all Spell/Trap cards your opponent controls and this card can make a second attack in a row, but it loses its ATK gain.

[/spoiler]

You might've seen this in AC already. But tbh I'm still not sure how to word the last effect properly. Or the first effect. Or anything, really. So yeah, have this as your first task~

Archived