Post Count Enabled in Polls Aye or Nay?

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we enable post count in Polls?

I'm pretty impartial on the matter, so I'm happy to swing it either way. I'll leave it as it is now, but it's open to defaulting back to no post count, no word restriction, if the masses say so. If I do, I might shift it to Misc just so the post count/no post count areas are consistent.

Maybe this is just me, but I think it'd be more fitting if Polls was rebranded as Tournaments (since that is what it is now) and merged into Misc as a subsection. And when someone wants to do an occasional random Poll for something else, they could either post it in Misc if it's silly (Apples vs Bananas) or General if they want more constructive answers (like posting the Jeremy Clarkson thread, but with a poll asking whether you agree/disagree with him being fired), in which case the general guidelines there should ensure posts are fine.

I like how it's already swelled to 13 Nay from the 9 before I voted/the change happened (because no one knew this existed), yet no more Ayes have come in.

Problem being, in reality 13 to 8 isn't really that big a difference. Sure it's the majority right now...however it's just to give an idea. And the idea here is there's a lot of people on both sides.

I also like how you claim no one knew this existed when there were....15 votes earlier.

I've already explained the reasoning multiple times but for those who can't bother reading it all basically. (with a few additions)

1.) You don't need to post in order to vote. If all you have to say is "I voted for ___" there's no reason to say it, as you voted so that shows it already.

2.) A 15 word minimum is not a lot in the slightest, and nothing to complain about. You can still make a joke/post a picture as long as you meet this minimal requirement. Which as I've shown earlier, is extremely easy to do.

3.) If you want to make a joke about a character, you can do that in Misc or statuses anyway.

4.) Other sections have plenty of threads where people say less than they do in Polls. (hell we had a "how do you like your eggs" thread in General.

5.) Making a Polls tournament actually takes a good bit of effort. At least as much as making a card, probably more in many cases.

As a side note, from what I can tell in the posts. One of the "Nay"s is because they think post count doesn't matter at all, and the other is cause they "need more space to spam". Maybe not the actual reason for their votes but...that's what they said.

Oh and one more thing.

I'm pretty impartial on the matter, so I'm happy to swing it either way. I'll leave it as it is now, but it's open to defaulting back to no post count, no word restriction, if the masses say so. If I do, I might shift it to Misc just so the post count/no post count areas are consistent.

It wasn't defaulted to no post count. It had post count for a long time, until shortly before I brought this topic up.

Indeed, a lot of the votes so far basically say "oh but I need more space to spam".

Why do you suppose that we gave you a spam section in the beginning?

So you guys can have some place to spam WITHOUT being warned for crap in other areas; though you still have to retain some degree of decency + not post explicit pictures of things. 

---

And yeah, Polls did have post count enabled until last week.

If the amount of polls was that much of a problem, then explain why this wasn't mentioned earlier during GPT 3 or something.

(Keep in mind that there are other tournaments besides the GPT in there; even without the 2-3 going on concurrently now)

Polls is also a place to be all excited and fanboy/girl over the antics of whatever is being voted about though. Unless you don't want people to do that.

You can still do that to be honest. Because obviously whatever you'd be fanboying over is part of why you voted.

And still, you have other places for that as well already.

Example: Let's say...I'll go back to Dialga vs Palkia from my earlier example.

"I voted Dialga. Because it's a FREAKING steel dragon dinosaur that controls TIME. If that's not awesome I don't know what is. Not to mention the blue/grey coloring looks awesome, and....well I never played Pearl anyway"

Boom, fanboying check, reasoning given, check. More than enough words, check. It's a hella lot more said than plenty of General/Video Game/Anime posts I've seen.

So now tell me...why not have post count for that?

They can fanboy/girl all they want about nominations, but just don't write 2-3 word posts and/or just post reaction images/videos like some do in General and other areas.

As stated, a simple sentence would be enough. (I'll just use one of the current GPT matches for example)

"I voted for Milotic, because its design is elegant and that it serves me well in UU play. Also because it's a symbol of my friendship with Zextra."

(Well, that was 2 sentences; but first one would be sufficient enough)

There's no reason you can't just post reaction images =/

Svv5Gup.jpg

I don't see the problem with just posting this in a thread as my reason for voting Gangrel. This is a reason in and of itself.

People've called me elitist, but I think telling people how they can fangasm is the most elitist thing I've seen from the site.

Just ban "____ GMV" posts. Simple.

There was, to my knowledge, an argument put forward (in the mod forum?) for removing post count there, and it went through, so I don't see why we should immediately overturn that in favor of 'quality' that is nothing of the sort.

There seems to be two big issues I'm having with the Nay side.

1.) I'm not sure they realized it had post count before this.

2.) They seem to be...really narrow minded with that section in particular. I already dug through VG and General and found a few threads on the first couple pages that had less discussion or thought put into them than Polls posts. And they apparently think that having these rules and post count means that they have to be SUPER SERIOUS. Which obviously isn't the case when you look at many other sections.

By the way. One two three. Here's some more. And just a bit extra. There.

Fifteen words. Not a lot in the slightest, don't know what the concern is.

And hell no Black, there was no argument for removing it, it was just up and removed.

How about this Black. Post that picture in Misc, or statuses. And don't post it after voting. Why do you have to post just the picture if you've already shown who you're voting for?

I said in the mod forum or somewhere. I know for a fact there was one, just don't know where. Source: Mods other than the one that did it =/

So what you're saying is add filler, thus making posts the same quality but prettier? Then what's the harm in no post count., there's more harm in needless fluff.

Also, using sections of the site not properly tended to (considering it is difficult to do so many times, without members reporting) is a non-argument.

Interesting. Tournaments risk being too specific, but it is definitely an option.

I hear you, but tournaments in nature generate a lot of threads, so I don't think the specific nature of them would withhold low section activity like say Blogs.
If you ask me, non-tourney Polls are a little too specific. Even before tournaments took over, not many people posted a poll that didn't involve some sort of "Vs" theme. Which is why I think posting those occasional polls in General or Misc and giving Tournaments its own section where it won't clutter anything else is a good idea.

I said in the mod forum or somewhere. I know for a fact there was one, just don't know where. Source: Mods other than the one that did it =/

So what you're saying is add filler, thus making posts the same quality but prettier? Then what's the harm in no post count., there's more harm in needless fluff.

Also, using sections of the site not properly tended to (considering it is difficult to do so many times, without members reporting) is a non-argument.

That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's simple to actually explain why you vote. I just said what I said as an example to show why it's not a long restriction.

It's not that they're not properly tended to, you're twisting my words. It's that those kinds of posts (That don't say a LOT but are on topic and say something) are fine to have. Which is what is intended here for Polls.

Oh and. I was there when the decision to remove Post Count was made. Nai made it, in a Skype chat, where the only people who weighed in were me, Toyo, and Mugen.

Yet again. It takes me hours to put up all those polls, and I just don't think it's right to write the section off as a spam pit.

If only three people weighed in on this, Nai should've waited and/or did it here before cutting off post count; because more people would've responded than just the three of you.

That being said, it takes a considerable amount of time to do the GPT as well; especially since I have to find appropriate images, make sure everyone got submitted, set polls up and check if I put it on public voting, then set it to auto-lock.

But yeah, just stay on topic and you should be fine.

Again, no need to write an essay like CC mandates to a certain extent; you're free to do it, but not required.

Archived