Why do you play Yu-Gi-Oh?

Question really is quite simple. Which aspects of the game cause you to continue to play? I believe that most of us would consider it inferior (design wise) to other games, and we all (myself especially) complain about the game's bullshit, so why on earth do we continue to play it? Not asking for a generalization, moreso personal reasons.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason most people probably put up with Yu-Gi-Oh, is because even with all the unfair and OP decks, you can always have those occasional  fun decks and duels. The type of duels that aren't one sided and actually feels like you are playing a fun game, when you feel like you accomplished something. Yugioh is about having fun. You might even just like the game the lore or history behind it, and maybe to play and enjoy future archetypes. You just got to see that Yugioh is more than just Nekroz and BA, and you don't have to be meta to have fun. That's probably why most people play Yugioh.

I typically don't play meta Decks, not only because they can be ludicrously expensive,  but they tend to be at a power level that most lower-level opponents can't really hope to match. Since I don't play at competitive locations and such, mid-to-low level players are my main potential opponents, and crushing people isn't fun to me.

If I played a meta Deck, I'd only want to fight other meta Decks for a challenge. But because a lot of more casual players hate meta Decks, I don't like the rage and bitterness some players might have. I play for fun.

The only meta Deck I've used recently was Dino Rabbit when that was still a thing.

The main reason why I don't like meta level, though, is because they tend to be on a slightly higher level of "powerful" than mid-tier. I prefer Decks like Heraldics and Galaxy, which while they can do ridiculously strong things, they aren't fully Solitaire or shut down the opponent entirely, nor do they typically win in one turn, and they're usually decent matchups against similarly strong Decktypes, keeping the match close or at least more exciting.

I don't.

This guy knows where it's at.

At this point, the reason I play this game is that people on DN are terrible enough that I can still win with silly decks, and I have a few friends that still play IRL, who enjoy seeing my deck ideas. The direction this game is going, I have very little interest in it competitively.

Because I appreciate copious amount of exercise in masochism, obviously.

Actually...I have no idea why I kept on playing. Maybe because I've spent so much time with the game that I got attached to it, or something. But whatever the reason was, it was enough reasoning for me to open up cases or boxes occasionally.

Or...idk. Maybe, despite all the faults in the game, I still can see it as fun. Or maybe not.

I don't really know.

Boredom, always played it so it just stuck.

I've gotten to the point that, while I acknowledge the stupidity of the designs, I just don't care as much anymore. Mostly because I avoid the top decks, beyond theory/learning how they work, like the plague due to how degenerate most of them are.

Also the anime decks from Arc-V are loads of fun for the most part, and D/D/D is probably my favorite deck ever.

Obviously because of so many boss cards to collect, and the fact that so many people play it too keep me coming back for more dueling. Even though I don't have many cards (22) I can come up with strategies that even work with weak monsters, like ones that have low ATK but good effects like destroying one card in play. I have 2 of these, and can wipe out two Egyptian God Cards with them (Right?) I don't know, I'm a newb at this.

Because it's fun and I can look past my own salt, unlike a big part of the community.

Oh and I don't pretend I know more about design/balance than I do.

You're also extremely humble.

I play because it's just fun and i enjoy strategy games.

I was introduced to it at an early age. I want to say 8? I also had people (my dad and sister) to learn the game with me, so I wasn't alone in figuring out how the game works.

I keep playing it because I'm used to how the game works. On the other hand, my only experience with M:tG is their Battlemage video game and I don't know how to CFV. One nice thing about the archetype idea is that it really does help you create many of the Decks out there. I'm not really a fan of the "archetype actually builds the Deck for you" mentality, but I still like how it helps, whereas on M:tG if I ever decide to play that, I would probably do something along the lines of "Use the green land at... um... let's go with 10. Pick random green creatures/spells that look useful, ignore synergy, and end up with THE WORST DECK EVER TO EXIST AND I WILL TEH SUX AT M:tG FOREVER FOR THIS."

I'd say "minus the masochism part", but I main Gusto and I always say you can tell a lot about a person by their main deck choice, so...

I'd imagine this said by a high tier duelist from the anime... never thought I'd hear it irl. But how can you actually know a person just by there deck?

OT: As salty as I can be sometimes... I know this game can be fix... I don't run meta as evilfusion said. But I love to combat it... I haven't had a game that "wasn't been fun at all" tbh.

A smooth win: The enjoyment of victory

Facing Meta: The thrill of the battle

Burn: To push hard before my LP runs out

Exodia: To break the defense

Original Deck: Heart that was put into it

Obviously some overlap... either way... my enjoyment has always relied on me... to put aside the salt and duel on.

Friends. Through playing Yugioh I've met some great people who I'm now friends with outside of the game. I always look forward to locals because I couldn't really think of a better group of people to chill with than the Yugioh community where I am. 

There's plenty of other things I enjoy too, mainly the buzz of winning and doing well, but this is the big one.

I'd imagine this said by a high tier duelist from the anime... never thought I'd hear it irl. But how can you actually know a person just by there deck?

OT: As salty as I can be sometimes... I know this game can be fix... I don't run meta as evilfusion said. But I love to combat it... I haven't had a game that "wasn't been fun at all" tbh.

A smooth win: The enjoyment of victory

Facing Meta: The thrill of the battle

Burn: To push hard before my LP runs out

Exodia: To break the defense

Original Deck: Heart that was put into it

Obviously some overlap... either way... my enjoyment has always relied on me... to put aside the salt and duel on.

Yes, because you'll be so thrilled when you get FTK'd by a meta deck.

I stopped playing irl, but DN is still pretty cool to mess around with your friends

Currently im in a DN Clan and their events and tournaments are interesting, ppl there dont play meta so we try to encourage our members' creativity

Also, i cant just stop playing something that grew stronger with my childhood and continues to do so :)

First turn kill.

Yes. And since frogs no meta deck has done this since it's pretty hard to win without attacking, as it happens.

Even if you think "first turn" also applies for your opponent's first turn, none of the meta decks even can FTK unless they open the absolute nuts, so your statement is still somewhat incorrect. All this sounds like is someone salty about the meta decks being better than the rest without actually bothering to look at how meta decks operate.

Archived