Casual TCG Section

A general rule of thumb is to state your intentions with the Deck, such as whether it's IRL, or if there's a budget, things like that. This keeps most people from immediately suggesting the *insert uber-expensive meta-card here* because it's unlikely to be affordable.

The biggest problem with a subsection, other than the splitting of traffic at best, and the completely uninhabited subsection that gets no real feedback because no one goes in there at worst, uh...my own sentence structure just broke my train of thought.

Ahem.

Okay. Where do you draw the line? The Deck section is supposed to be a rate and fix section. Barring issues like card availability/price/etc, people will offer advice on how the Deck can operate to the best of its ability, the actual changes required can range from altering the number of a card, to gouging out huge chunks of the Deck and replacing them with significantly better options.

If you throw out the standard of "based on competitive level", how do you give feedback to a user on how they can improve their Deck? How can you judge their card choices and such, or offer alternatives and techs? How well a Deck performs is the main indicator of whether the Deck is good or not. If someone builds their Deck for "fun", but is definitely running the Deck in a direction that doesn't suit it as well, then this problem is sure to be acknowledged.

There have been Decks that were a bit unorthodox, but not every Deck can be run in a successfully unorthodox method, and depending on its performance, it can usually be determined if it's inferior to a "proper/pure" version.

Also, seriously, does anyone know how the Jack Witt clause actually functions? It means that, because of the nature of the section being rate/fix, you can't just dismiss all forms of constructive criticism without some sort of valid reasoning behind it, because that defeats the whole point of the section. It's not a section to post any old Deck and expect people to say it's great, or to insist people test it themselves before their opinions will be considered, or to just outright tell people to stop criticizing entirely.

Technically speaking, if people make suggestions on a Deck, it's generally because they've tested things out several times and know what will work best.

See Black's stuff in the area, regarding Performapals and D/D's; he's done it a few times and knows what works (he even gives you an explanation and suggested ratios)

That in mind, you don't have to copy his Deck card for card (and best that you don't, because of cookie-cutter things); but more/less just use it as a springboard to do yours.

You can experiment with new ideas, yes, but just that it may not work as well as it should; though you'll probably find something that no one thought of, and it works nicely.

----

Basically, the members are trying to help you build the Deck so it can be consistent and not end up dead-drawing 80-something percent of the time. ]

As evilfusion mentioned though, if you cut out the comment stuff, how do you expect to improve?

----

On a sidenote, put into context with respect to evilfusion's point on "proper/pure Decks", an example.

I've taken to playing RL MPBs as of last December (which are Xyz-oriented); however because of budget problems [no Draco], I made them Synchro-oriented (with some Xyz things).

Does it work properly? After some small modifications, yes; although there are some problems at times (but it is still workable enough to win games with). Most likely, the problems will get fixed after Superstars arrives next month.

I posted it sometime in December before building, and indeed there was some help in its design before parts were bought.

That's enough side context though.

----

Basically, it's fine to play a Casual deck, but at the minimum, just listen to what people say before jumping to conclusions.

For instance, if you really want to play Jaden.dek (old E-HEROs) or something like that, we can help you make a Deck that keeps your flavor, but is consistent enough that you won't get yourself killed.

I suppose you could blame the power creep, but in any case, just be open to suggestions and if they're within reason, try to implement them.

If you don't want to take advice, there's not much that can be done for you.

Archived