“This is Yukiko Morimoto reporting with NHK News 7. We are uncovering a breaking story. The Internet Media Public Safety Bureau has recently ordered a lockdown of all activity within the new and popular online game Lore Online, after evidence has emerged linking it to a sudden outbreak of neural trauma among players. The 40,000-odd players are being moved to government facilities as we speak, and- oh, I think here’s a member of the Bureau and one of Lore Online’s designers as we speak. Ms. Kuzumi, Mr. Taguchi, do you have any comments regarding your agency’s rash handling of the player deaths in Lore Online?”
“Well, seems like they’re in a rush. Nevertheless, we will be monitoring this story as it develops. This is Yukiko Morimoto for NHK News 7.”
It’s been only a day or so since Lore Online, “the game promised to revolutionize virtual reality,” launched. You were very excited by all the buzz surrounding the game (particularly considering how well Pluto Ltd, the game’s designers, have done before) and bought it the day it came out. You’ve only recently logged in, but you’ve heard rumors of people experiencing troubles with resurrection spells, of worried posters on the game’s BBS talking about people falling unconscious after death in-game. Maybe you even saw the events firsthand. You brush them off - there are glitches in all new games, it’s only normal - and continue unabated.
Until the message arrives in your inbox. You open it and read it, each word pounding in your eardrums in sinister tempo. This has to be a joke. People can’t… actually do these kinds of things, right? There were laws protecting them. But…
Your hands tremble as you read the final sentences.
“We have recently discovered a game-breaking glitch in the virtual reality game Lore Online that has tied character death to disruption of brain activity. We have significant evidence supporting that this will extend to any account logouts. Due to and in cooperation with the requests of the IMPSB, Lore Online is on indefinite lockdown. The logout function has been disabled. Players will be transported to appropriate facilities for monitoring and their kin notified. We appreciate your cooperation at this time and urge you to continue playing the game.”
The company’s name sat in the signature field, mocking you. This was a joke, right? Stuff like this only happened in bad anime, but now…
Six months has passed since that fateful day. You’ve tried to find a way to logout, but have so far failed. Life moves on in the land of Lore, unheeding to your desires to leave, so you’ve settled into a routine. Joined a guild, even, a little one based out of the main city named Osprey. Even taken on quests with your new friends. You’ve actually started to compartmentalize the panic that the Lockdown triggered, and have begun to enjoy yourself. However, there’s always the constant thought sitting on the back of your brain.
What if you can never leave Lore?
01. This is an animesque RP, inspired primarily by .hack, Log Horizon and Sword Art Online. Keep that in mind when making characters and when roleplaying.
02. There are a limited number of “slots” available for characters. Each slot has a few details associated with it, and applicants will essentially be “auditioning.” When you’re making your application, let me know for which slot you’re applying. I’ll choose the app I think works the best for each slot. I'm also not taking reserves, on that note.
03. There's no posting cycle or anything like that: just let two people post before you go again. If you go four or more days without posting, you'll get a warning from me. Two warnings = you're out of the RP.
04. At least 100 words per post, no script format, no c/p-ing characters. I wrote those rules, guys. Don't disappoint me.
05. Maximum of two characters per player.
Instead of having to constantly update and edit the OP, I'm just going to stick all relevant information in a Google Doc. It's highly recommended that you read through all of it before submitting your application.
BIG IMPORTANT POINT HERE: I need help designing the main cities and stuff. If you wanna submit stuff, I'll give you reps.