Kogarasho-Senpai Noticed Me [Ultimaya Hieratics (April 2015)]

Your Main is good, so I'll focus on Extra

Necessary:

-1 Ultimaya: I run both hieratics (blegh) and quickdraw, 2 is fine

+1 Dragunity Knight-Trident: the chance to blow up some extra is too good.

-1 Life Stream: you have no equips, so this is essentially placing a 2900 waste of space on the field. Sure, ATK is nice but Beelze and VOD do this guy's job better.

-1 Stardust Spark: You have 2 Stardust and even if you lose ultimaya, you still keep him (if you used the effect)

-1 Red Dragon Arch, +1 Hot Red Dragon: Same ATK, and you'll use Hot Red's eff once, but more often compared to the amount of times you'll use Red Dragon Arch eff. And besides, the last effect on RDA can hurt depending if you are attacking with certain monsters to avoid/bypass certain effects

Optional:

+1 Gungir: Nice for field control

+1 Destiny Doom: Only if you find yourself out of a hand often, but you might still prefer another VOD over this.

+1 Blackfeather Darkrage Dragon: Meh, no real reason other than decent eff, but with a 40-card, this can hurt a bit.

+

Your Main is good, so I'll focus on Extra

Necessary:

-1 Ultimaya: I run both hieratics (blegh) and quickdraw, 2 is fine

+1 Dragunity Knight-Trident: the chance to blow up some extra is too good.

-1 Life Stream: you have no equips, so this is essentially placing a 2900 waste of space on the field. Sure, ATK is nice but Beelze and VOD do this guy's job better.

-1 Stardust Spark: You have 2 Stardust and even if you lose ultimaya, you still keep him (if you used the effect)

-1 Red Dragon Arch, +1 Hot Red Dragon: Same ATK, and you'll use Hot Red's eff once, but more often compared to the amount of times you'll use Red Dragon Arch eff. And besides, the last effect on RDA can hurt depending if you are attacking with certain monsters to avoid/bypass certain effects

Optional:

+1 Gungir: Nice for field control

+1 Destiny Doom: Only if you find yourself out of a hand often, but you might still prefer another VOD over this.

+1 Blackfeather Darkrage Dragon: Meh, no real reason other than decent eff, but with a 40-card, this can hurt a bit.

+

I guess I can put some of them in the Side Deck. I put in LSD because it negates all effect damage, SSD because it can help protect Ultimaya early-to-late game, and RDA because it deals with Superheavies and defense-oriented decks.
Gungnir, on the other hand, would be useful for better field control, and to better set up Void Ogre. Trident is a card I remember reading about, but never really seeing the point until recently, so I might throw it in. However, Destiny Doom and Blackfeather aren't very good in my opinion.
Back when I was using the Quickdraw variant, I found myself using Void Ogre often in that version, but not so much with this deck, mainly because of Magic Planter and, of all things, TONGUE TWISTER.

Tongue Twister is easily the MVP of this deck. I remember when this thing came out in Gladiator's Assault as part of a contest and thinking to myself "there's no way this thing is EVER going to be used".

Now, almost a decade later, and I have to say that Tongue Twister's day in the limelight has arrived. Its ability works incredibly well with the deck, and basically pays back the cost of getting out Ultimaya, which makes it worth it to replenish the deck in the early stages of the duel.
As for siding in cards, or modifying the deck, I have been toying with the idea of throwing in Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode and Assault Mode Activate!. The latter meshes with the Setting angle of the deck, while the former gives the deck a much-needed negation bite that Void Ogre can only provide circumstantially. Should I just side it, or can I take something out to put SD/AM, AMA!, and maybe some Assault Mode support in?

I guess I can put some of them in the Side Deck. I put in LSD because it negates all effect damage, SSD because it can help protect Ultimaya early-to-late game, and RDA because it deals with Superheavies and defense-oriented decks.
Gungnir, on the other hand, would be useful for better field control, and to better set up Void Ogre. Trident is a card I remember reading about, but never really seeing the point until recently, so I might throw it in. However, Destiny Doom and Blackfeather aren't very good in my opinion.
Back when I was using the Quickdraw variant, I found myself using Void Ogre often in that version, but not so much with this deck, mainly because of Magic Planter and, of all things, TONGUE TWISTER.

Tongue Twister is easily the MVP of this deck. I remember when this thing came out in Gladiator's Assault as part of a contest and thinking to myself "there's no way this thing is EVER going to be used".

Now, almost a decade later, and I have to say that Tongue Twister's day in the limelight has arrived. Its ability works incredibly well with the deck, and basically pays back the cost of getting out Ultimaya, which makes it worth it to replenish the deck in the early stages of the duel.
As for siding in cards, or modifying the deck, I have been toying with the idea of throwing in Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode and Assault Mode Activate!. The latter meshes with the Setting angle of the deck, while the former gives the deck a much-needed negation bite that Void Ogre can only provide circumstantially. Should I just side it, or can I take something out to put SD/AM, AMA!, and maybe some Assault Mode support in?

LSD: I completely missed that part of the effect. Huh

I forgot to mention, when I looked it over again:

-1 CotH

-1 Card of your choosing

+1 of both Scrap-Irons

---

Yes, Trident is excellent for when you happen upon meta decks. Shaddoll hates it, Zefra & Qli hate mid-to-late game, HEROs, especially Masked (imagine the salt if trident just destroyed all copies of Dark Law from the Extra, and due to Fusion rules, it can't be SS'd from the grave). Decks that run the basic R4's (Castel, 39, 101, Cowboy, etc) hate trident too.

---

A recent ruling revealed that you can SS a Synchro when Scarecrow is Set via its own effect and it makes sense that it would apply to Statue as well. Easy for when your opponent attacks or Con't Spell/Trap or Field is activated and you just happen to bring out Beelze or LSD now, I guess (no effect damage is pretty good). I would say build a separate deck for Assault Mode, as you would have conflicting play styles that, IMO, wouldn't work that well together.

---

What order do you get your Synchro's in. Depending on the situation it goes like this

1) Stardust -> VOD -> Beelze -> Random (8500 points, double/triple effect protection depending on the hand)

2) Hot Red -> Stardust -> DK-Trident (7400 points, destroys some extra and field w/ minor protection)

3) VOD -> CWSD -> Stardust (this offers the most protection and puts 8000 points of damage on the field)

4) Stardust -> Scrap -> Gungnir (Basic destruction w/ 7800 points on the field)

Since I'm thinking about replacing a Scrap w/ LSD

4) Stardust -> LSD -> Scrap, Gungnir or VOD

A recent ruling revealed that you can SS a Synchro when Scarecrow is Set via its own effect and it makes sense that it would apply to Statue as well. 

Wait. Tzolk'in's effect says "once per turn", not "once per turn, during either player's turn". Doesn't Konami know its own PSCT?

Wait. Tzolk'in's effect says "once per turn", not "once per turn, during either player's turn". Doesn't Konami know its own PSCT?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Yu-Gi-Oh! rulings. Please leave your common sense at the door.

LSD: I completely missed that part of the effect. Huh

Yep. A lot of people forget that part. :P
Now you see why I think BFDRD and BWD are crap in this deck: LSD outclasses their anti-damage effects, and has a bigger body to boot.

I forgot to mention, when I looked it over again:
-1 CotH
-1 Card of your choosing

+1 of both Scrap-Irons
---
Yes, Trident is excellent for when you happen upon meta decks. Shaddoll hates it, Zefra & Qli hate mid-to-late game, HEROs, especially Masked (imagine the salt if trident just destroyed all copies of Dark Law from the Extra, and due to Fusion rules, it can't be SS'd from the grave). Decks that run the basic R4's (Castel, 39, 101, Cowboy, etc) hate trident too.
---
A recent ruling revealed that you can SS a Synchro when Scarecrow is Set via its own effect and it makes sense that it would apply to Statue as well. Easy for when your opponent attacks or Con't Spell/Trap or Field is activated and you just happen to bring out Beelze or LSD now, I guess (no effect damage is pretty good). I would say build a separate deck for Assault Mode, as you would have conflicting play styles that, IMO, wouldn't work that well together.
---
What order do you get your Synchro's in. Depending on the situation it goes like this

1) Stardust -> VOD -> Beelze -> Random (8500 points, double/triple effect protection depending on the hand)
2) Hot Red -> Stardust -> DK-Trident (7400 points, destroys some extra and field w/ minor protection)
3) VOD -> CWSD -> Stardust (this offers the most protection and puts 8000 points of damage on the field)
4) Stardust -> Scrap -> Gungnir (Basic destruction w/ 7800 points on the field)

Since I'm thinking about replacing a Scrap w/ LSD

4) Stardust -> LSD -> Scrap, Gungnir or VOD

I actually always put up Beelze first, simply because he's a 3000 ATK monster that can't be hurt easily. It takes some work to get him gone, so when Ultimaya only has 1 monster protecting it that first turn, Beelze will most likely outlast the monster that summoned it.
Next, I go for Scrap Dragon or Stardust. Thanks to how Scrap Dragon works, I can target Beelze, and essentially get a free pop, since Beelze isn't destroyed. Stardust is a good counter to nearly fully protect Ultimaya.
I find a good card to use if Summoning on your opponent's turn is Moonlight. Her effect activates not only upon a monster's summon, but when she herself is Summoned, so she can easily bounce a Special Summoned monster you don't like.
I've rarely used the other Synchros, as usually Scrap, Beelze, and Stardust are enough to dominate the opponent, and this deck has enough consistent draw power that I've rarely used Void Ogre.
I've also used Red Hot and Gungnir once each, and Clear Wing a few times. Gungnir takes advantage of my relatively heavy hands, while Red Hot works well as a second Dragon after Beelze to clear a bunch of monsters. Clear Wing is GODLY in the right matchups. I can see why so many people here love him.
But yeah, I'll post the updated version, and swap out the Assault Mode stuff in my sidboard for third copies of my staples.

I think Clear Wing is good to complement Beelze, as it protects him from sabotaging effects. It's a shame it can't protect from CED, but then again, fully invulnerable Beelze would be a Really Bad Thing. I've found that in a better build using VOD is rare too, so I'm considering taking him out. One negation per turn simply isn't enough when shit like Pendulums exist, and the only dangerous Spell Card I can think of for now is Raigeki.

I think Clear Wing is good to complement Beelze, as it protects him from sabotaging effects. It's a shame it can't protect from CED, but then again, fully invulnerable Beelze would be a Really Bad Thing. I've found that in a better build using VOD is rare too, so I'm considering taking him out. One negation per turn simply isn't enough when shit like Pendulums exist, and the only dangerous Spell Card I can think of for now is Raigeki.

That, and, like I've said, in a more resource-intensive deck, Void Ogre is pretty good, because you most likely won't have any cards in your hand, but this deck can more than half of the time make Ultimaya using 2 cards in your hand (A Hieratic and something to Tribute it), and has Magic Planter and Tongue Twister to restock your hand.

That, and, like I've said, in a more resource-intensive deck, Void Ogre is pretty good, because you most likely won't have any cards in your hand, but this deck can more than half of the time make Ultimaya using 2 cards in your hand (A Hieratic and something to Tribute it), and has Magic Planter and Tongue Twister to restock your hand.

Exactly what I meant. Before, when I didn't use Tongue Twister and Magic Planter (I didn't even know of the existence of the former, and having ditched Seal From Ashes in my first hieratic deck, I hadn't seen it for long enough to remember its actual usefulness), I did find myself out of a hand often, but even then I noticed that having just one S/T negation effect per turn just didn't cut it, and I was much better off to invest that summon per turn on Beelze.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Yu-Gi-Oh! rulings. Please leave your common sense at the door.

Now you see why I think BFDRD and BWD are crap in this deck: LSD outclasses their anti-damage effects, and has a bigger body to boot.

Lol to the 1st part. I've never really BFDRD & BWD too be particulary good and I've only run them in blackwings, so we're in agreement there. Meanwhile, I've found that Trident is even more of an necessity. Gotta run at least one. I forgot to take a pic, but my opponent ragequit when I used Trident's eff to pop 2 of my scrap-iron statue and a magical mallet to destroy his x2 Dark Law and x1 Vision HERO Adoration. Oh, the salt...

Lol to the 1st part. I've never really BFDRD & BWD too be particulary good and I've only run them in blackwings, so we're in agreement there. Meanwhile, I've found that Trident is even more of an necessity. Gotta run at least one. I forgot to take a pic, but my opponent ragequit when I used Trident's eff to pop 2 of my scrap-iron statue and a magical mallet to destroy his x2 Dark Law and x1 Vision HERO Adoration. Oh, the salt...

Yeah, that sounds awesomely trollish. Sure, popping your own cards is really annoying (and you can't abuse Beelze's indestructibility like you can with Scrap Dragon), but it can stop entire decks right in their tracks, or prevent your opponent from getting an out to your lock. I guess I never looked at trident because, being a Dragunity, I figured out that its effect involved other cards of the archetype. Oh, how wrong I was...

Btw, I was wondering. Would you consider worth it to run Tyrant's Temper in this deck? It synergizes with Hieratics by tributing monsters and can protect your monsters from S/T effects. I know it's a bit clunky, but I've always loved the card, since it can protect you from annoying CEDs, Fiendish Chains, Bottomless Trap Holes and stuff like that, and in case you really don't need it, you can always pop it with Magic Planter or Trident or Scrap Dragon.

Yeah, that sounds awesomely trollish. Sure, popping your own cards is really annoying (and you can't abuse Beelze's indestructibility like you can with Scrap Dragon), but it can stop entire decks right in their tracks, or prevent your opponent from getting an out to your lock. I guess I never looked at trident because, being a Dragunity, I figured out that its effect involved other cards of the archetype. Oh, how wrong I was...

Btw, I was wondering. Would you consider worth it to run Tyrant's Temper in this deck? It synergizes with Hieratics by tributing monsters and can protect your monsters from S/T effects. I know it's a bit clunky, but I've always loved the card, since it can protect you from annoying CEDs, Fiendish Chains, Bottomless Trap Holes and stuff like that, and in case you really don't need it, you can always pop it with Magic Planter or Trident or Scrap Dragon.

Doesn't seem too bad, but (and I can't speak for Dan) if I had to run this, I would replace a CotH or Fiendish for this. Shame it's only for traps, but those cause plenty enough trouble as is.

It could potentially be useful for using Hieratics that get stuck in your hand after you make 1-2 Ultimayas. I'd say give it a test and post the card in the regular TCG discussion with your findings.

Archived