Mythological Creatures

Lasaro Ginjou

I always wanted to do this. Making card of creatures from myths and legends. This thread will focus on exactly that. The following has some basic characteristics to note:

• The cards will all be level 4. (it is the highest level that does not need tribute)
  • It is possible that monsters of higher levels will appear.
  • They will all be effects.
  • The effects will reflect as much as possible their abilities as they are mentioned in mythology.
  • Wherever the above is not possible their bodily characteristics will be the determining factor.
  • They are not built as an archetype or are aimed for a single deck. Hence, there will be no relation between them unless mythology says otherwise.
  • The names are done the way they are on purpose so don't consider that a mistake please.
  • Under each card, within the "spoiler window" there will be a "myth and effect" spoiler that explains the idea of it.
  • ...possibly more to come...
So, here they are:
Effect Monsters
[spoiler=First Post (1-3)]
1. Medusa
8ERbu0i.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Medusa was not immortal but only a demigod was able to defeat it so it had to be warrior and a strong one at that. The rest is to reflect her abilitie to turn people to stone and that they can never be saved.[/spoiler]
2. Euryale
9YvsNOx.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Unlike Medusa, she is immortal and has the same ability as well.[/spoiler]
3. Stheno
JlV3PEt.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Same as Euryale[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=First list update (4-11)]
4. Kerberos
zl73Io1.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]I didn't find any unique fighting style for this one so I gave it the potential to attack as many times as the heads it has, 3.[/spoiler]
5. Orthros
81Vx6TX.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Same as Kerberos. I didn't find any unique fighting style for this one so I gave it the potential to attack as many times as the heads it has, 2.[/spoiler]
6. Pegasos
V4p4wt1.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]The winged horse. Using its ability to fly it can overcome the opponents' defenses.[/spoiler]
7. Monokeros
87UWpEH.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]As a divine healer I gave it the ability to protect one's monsters by card effects. Any disease, position e.t.c. is translated as spell and trap cards here. Also, it is not on offensive monster but still has its defense to protect itself. I gave it the connection to "Unicorn", as well.[/spoiler]
8. Foenix
JlZTXiF.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]The immortal bird. Every time it dies it just comes back to life. So this is what its effect does. This will keep going unless it is removed from play.[/spoiler]
9. Lernea Ydra
JuuCfGe.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]This was one of the toughest so far. The counters symbolize the new heads. Only fire can damage it properly so only FIRE and Pyro monsters. Also, just like Heracles, the opponent will have to use his "burning" deck to take down all counters before destroying it. Also, a power boost to show that with more heads it gets stronger.[/spoiler]
10. Leon of Nemea
FT14k0L.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]The skin of this lion cannot be pierced by normal strength. A warrior can defeat it and only a strong one. Also, with its sharp claws it can pierce through the toughest defenses.[/spoiler]
11. Seirina
eJFy0AE.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Sirens completely hypnotize others with they song and control them. Also, if you hypnotize them they can't really use any special abilities either, hence the immunity to card effects. To defeat this you have to destroy all other monsters first.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Second list update (12-15)]
12. Sphinx
9OZaOcm.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]In mythology Sphinx was giving riddles. If solved you survive, if not.. well you know. So it is mostly up to luck. In this case, I used the coin toss to give the idea of luck. And as the one who is supposed to answer the riddle, the opponent is the one to call it. Also, in mythology if you solve the first there is a second riddle and so on. If you solve them all then sphinx dies. I had to do something similar. But you can't have 10 riddles right? Here I made a limit at the second toss. If the opponent calls both right this card is destroyed. There is a reward of Life Points for them as well. I do, however, give the option to the user whether there will be a second coin toss. There is no fun if you cannot keep the monsters in the game a bit more. Right?[/spoiler]
13. Basiliskos
T0bZw8o.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]To get the death Glare of this monster you need to draw its attention. What better way than a flip effect? Also, since the glare can be done multiple times, this card can go back to face-down and flip summon again.[/spoiler]
14. Arachne
9AumRmm.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]In mythology, arachne is a weaver. I didn't know how to relate that until I thought that clothes can be used as an equip effect. So this is a support card for other monsters.[/spoiler]
15. Gryphon
fKOAlvS.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]In mythology, Griffin or Gryphon, is the king of all beasts (including birds) so it has to do something with that. Then I remembered Tyranno Infinity. So, birds give it its ATK from Graveyard, beasts its DEF the same way and if you have at least one of each on the field this card is immune to card effects. No better effect for a king, right?[/spoiler]
16. Unicorn
70RMSif.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]It is obviously "Monokeros" but in its more famous name. Everything else the same.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Third list update (16-18)]
17. Gorgona
X3PBfIE.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]The name is Greek for Mermaid. Mermaids, in versions other that Sirens, are the quickest of sea creatures. Thus, defensive in nature. Hence the defense points and its ability to avoid one attack per turn.[/spoiler]
18. Chimaera
aKd9pNP.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Famous monster. Known for its strength (hence the ATK) and the fire breathing ability of its front heads and venom of its tail. Hence the dual effect.[/spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Fourth list update (19-25)]
19. Kentauros
IbZpfHs.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Two main points. One is the support of its partner. The second is its ability to use its horse jumb to overcome the opponent's defenses.[/spoiler]
20. Kentaurida
mmG6cJ2.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Again support of its partner. Also, female centaurs do not go down easily. Normally, the difference in points goes to the controller of the defense position monster. I wanted to make an exception of that.[/spoiler]
21. Minotauros
Pdjgg08.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Minotauros has the field advantage with the labyrinth. The 6 possible outcomes of a die represent our guess of the correct path in a labyrinth. If you get it right you get a reward. If not... well, pray.[/spoiler]
22. Charos
lnHZrbC.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]With this card on the field, the field is the Underworld and summoning means passing through.To do that you gotta pay. If not, go back. If you do, Charos gets stronger. Either way, my win.[/spoiler]
23. Erinyes
2wGP1Wm.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]After many events these three ladies became the protectors of law and punishers of criminals. In this case, the user would be the law and the criminal would be the opponent and his/her monsters.[/spoiler]
24. Charyvdis
hJ3dyWD.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]This one is a monster that traps the opponent. So what better effect than one that makes use of traps. Since it is an all eating whirlpool the user loses something as well. Or not. The total of banished Trap cards add up to 3 (2 from user + 1 from opponent). This is a symbol of the three times a day when charyvdis swallowed water. Activating the trap effect is when it blows all the water out.[/spoiler]
25. Skylla
51ms9Rz.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]Skylla waits for travellers and attacks. It is a combination of trap and passing related action. So passing by is Summoning. So from all that pass skylla eats one and gains their "power". Here comes the trap related action. By using the power we are allowed to return a banished trap card to our hand.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Other Cards
[spoiler=Fusion Monsters (1-2)]
1. Echidna
w0UaU3d.jpg[spoiler=Myth and Effect]There is quite a mix up with this one in mythology. For some she is mother of medusa, and not of the other two gorgon sisters. Personally, I don't care. I took her as the ultimate half-human/half-woman monster and made this.[/spoiler]
2. Volant Unicorn
YjjBcLz.jpg[spoiler=Just an explaination]Okay, as far as I know there is no myth that includes this one. I just found this awesome picture while looking around for artworks and thought, "wth, I will do it". So, here it is.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
More will keep coming!!!

Please give me some nice/detailed/strict/e.t.c. feedback/critique!!!
If you like my work please:
  • LIKE my post and updates
  • Suggest the next Creatures you want me to do
  • It would help if you give me links to some artworks to choose from for the cards.
Thanks!!!

First list update.
There are some small changes to Medusa, Euryale and Stheno.

Also, new cards (Numbers: 4-11). For "Myth and Effect" relations look into the images of the main post.:
[spoiler=Kerberos]gYVIOcC.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Orthros]XNbuypa.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Pegasos]P1fE5cT.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Monokeros]ebYSiCG.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Foenix]a1tO6tc.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Lernea Ydra]4o8UTbB.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Leon of Nemea]7kGYEst.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Seirina]eJFy0AE.jpg[/spoiler]

But this is just the beginning!!!

Cool concept, a tad op
A lot of them have 1900 ATK which it powerful for 4 star monsters with their effects I say make them lvl 6 or so
Also the boss monster (which I'm guesting is hydra) needs wayyyy more tributes possibly three members of the archetype?
Also Seirina is virtually indestructible so long as you have a monster on the field so you might want to edit that a bit
But overall the effects are good but the monsters need more levels

Cool concept, a tad op
A lot of them have 1900 ATK which it powerful for 4 star monsters with their effects I say make them lvl 6 or so
Also the boss monster (which I'm guesting is hydra) needs wayyyy more tributes possibly three members of the archetype?
Also Seirina is virtually indestructible so long as you have a monster on the field so you might want to edit that a bit
But overall the effects are good but the monsters need more levels

ATK and DEF exists in high levels in many 4 level monsters, Normal and Effect. However, I can lower them a bit.
I don't want to make them level 5 or more because I don't want to get involved with Tributes.
There is not boss monster. They are all but individual cards reflecting mythological creatures.
I think, Seirina's effect is compensated by the fact that she cannot cause any damage to the opponent, either by effect or by ATK and DEF points.

You think if these go together they are too overpowering?

Here are the reviewed cards. When I looked back I think these are better:
[spoiler=Kerberos]d1sPOS2.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Orthros]PhCXV1z.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Pegasos]r90ZiI3.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Foenix]JlZTXiF.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Lernea Ydra]JuuCfGe.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Leon of Nemea]FT14k0L.jpg[/spoiler]
I think Seirina and Monokeros are ok. So I left them as they are.

New critique
Leon should switch to defense after he attacks
orothros and Kerberos should get an attack decrease after every attack
Pegasor needs about 1400 ATK
And lastly there should be a limit on the number of feonix tokens possibly four after the first

New critique
Leon should switch to defense after he attacks
orothros and Kerberos should get an attack decrease after every attack
Pegasor needs about 1400 ATK
And lastly there should be a limit on the number of feonix tokens possibly four after the first

[spoiler=Pegasos]As you requested.
V4p4wt1.jpg[/spoiler]
The effects are supposed to match the mythology as I said before. Leon is purely offensive. It never defended in mythology. So I cannot add that.
Kerberos and Orthros can only attack more times if they are stopped by effects. If the monster is simply stronger then it will be like normal.
According to Foenix's effect there will only be one Token each time. When one is destroyed another takes its place. This can stop if they are destroyed by card effects, thus there is no need for the limit. What I need is a way to bring Foenix back to the game in case the effect chain is stopped.

Third list update.
Three new cards based on the standard criteria:
[spoiler=Unicorn]70RMSif.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gorgona]iBFssQo.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Chimaera]aKd9pNP.jpg[/spoiler]
Fusion Monsters: The first fusion monsters I made for this. The Volant Unicorn is also the only Funmade monster in this thread so far. I don't know any mythology behind it but I liked the artwork. Came across it by accident and decided to go for it.
[spoiler=Echidna]w0UaU3d.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Volant Unicorn]YjjBcLz.jpg[/spoiler]
Explanations about the "myth and effect" for these cards and all previous ones are in the main post.

Additionally, a major change is the inclusion of all cards into spoiler windows. The post was getting kind of big so I wanted to deal with it somehow. Especially, since, it is bound to get even bigger. Have got to think of a new way. Maybe divide by types.

I've been thinking about a set of cards based around Greek mythology, which would include cards for the Nemean Lion and Learnean Hydra. Where did you find these pictures?

Under the artwork of each card you can see my source. If I am not mistaken the artworks for these two, I found in Google images by typing the name. It takes some searching to find good ones.

Due to the increasing number of cards the original post was getting a bit messy. Soo, I decided to do some tidying up. I divided all the effect cards in "List updates". The rest will simply be divided by their card type.

Additionally, I reviewed the already added cards and made some changes.

1. Removed from Kerberos and Orthros the "halving ATK against warrior monsters". With that, they were just too weak. I think they are fine now. After all, their effects can be used ONLY IF the opponent blockes their attacks with the effect of a card instead of a monster's DEF.
  2. Added to Gorgona the "This card's name is also treated as "Mermaid"." since Gorgona in Greek means Mermaid. Kinda like Monokeros and Unicorn.

What does everyone think so far? Any suggestions/comments/critiques?

Fourth list update.
[spoiler=Kentauros]IbZpfHs.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Kentaurida]mmG6cJ2.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Minotauros]Pdjgg08.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Charos]lnHZrbC.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Erinyes]2wGP1Wm.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Charyvdis]hJ3dyWD.jpg[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Skylla]51ms9Rz.jpg[/spoiler]
A new update was in order. It has been a few days since the last one.

As I was working in these I also came up with a KEY-WORD that would make all these cards an Archetype and a Field Spell for these as well. If you want I can play with this idea, instead of going in general, and start making some support cards.

Let me know what you think.

Ok everyone.. this is it for updates here. From here on out this thread will work with REQUESTS.

Do you want to see a creature made into card? Let me know. It would help if you can suggest an artwork also. Will make it quicker for me to work on it. 

I do this because I want to work on mythological creatures as an archetype. I will try to copy mythology into a deck. It will be hard. I know. But, hell, why not? Will be fun for me. ;P

Archived