40 Card Deck Limit

Curious-Computer-Guy-Meme-Gets-Interrupt

I know the TCG snobs must love my posts, but I wanted to hear your opinions on something. A good friend and I were talking on DN a litle while ago and we just started talking nonsense about the deck limit. The original deck limit is 60 I believe, but we were talking about deck limit being 40. 

I was just wondering what you guys thought if the deck limit was actually 40 and we could use any number of cards we wanted that was over 10, but no more than 40. What do you guys think that would do to the game?

Keep in mind that you don't need to tear me to shreds. I was just a tad curious.

Can we change the topic slightly about harking on about the 10 card deck situation? Like, let's say Yu-Gi-Oh requires an exact number of cards in your deck. Say, 40, or 45 or even 50. How different would the game be then? I assume if it's 50 cards exactly, the game would be slower and also less scary consistent.

Can we change the topic slightly about harking on about the 10 card deck situation? Like, let's say Yu-Gi-Oh requires an exact number of cards in your deck. Say, 40, or 45 or even 50. How different would the game be then? I assume if it's 50 cards exactly, the game would be slower and also less scary consistent.

Unlikely, everyone would just run Upstart more than they already do, Hobaning would just be standard behavior, etc.

Also as someone mentioned, it doesnt make sense because the game and its archetypes were all balanced and designed around 40 card minimum.

Toyo is right. Yes, people would pull hobans, but Upstart makes OTKs more difficult, and things like duality stall your win for a turn.

But the game would be slower anyway because 50 cards, so it wouldn't be a big stretch for people to wait another turn to gather their resources before pushing.

If anything, deck limit needs to be INCREASED, not DECREASED. Lots of degenerate decks would be destroyed if we had 60, or even better, 100 card decks.

It would also be nice if Konami cut down on the searchception, so that we didn't go through our decks at lightning-speed.

I really don't like the idea of increasing the minimum. All that leads to is a decrease in consistency of decks which means there are more decks which either have their perfect hand or brick, and it's not much of a fun game if one person bricks and the other doesn't. In a perfect world both players would always have workable hands and the game would be down to the way your cards interact with the opponent's, as well as prediction and skill. I think 40's just fine.

I really don't like the idea of increasing the minimum. All that leads to is a decrease in consistency of decks which means there are more decks which either have their perfect hand or brick, and it's not much of a fun game if one person bricks and the other doesn't. In a perfect world both players would always have workable hands and the game would be down to the way your cards interact with the opponent's, as well as prediction and skill. I think 40's just fine.

While i agree that too large of a minimum deck would cause bricks to hit more often, upping it from 40 to 45-50 seems like it wouldn't be as prone to bricks as you may think. 5-10 more cards is a significant hit to consistency, but if 5-10 more cards causes your deck's brick chances to rise significantly, you just might need to rework the deck from the ground up with the new size in mind. or also increase hand size by 1 to compensate

as for the main point, pretty much what's been said above, the smaller the deck limit, the worse the gamestate could get. decks already exist that can run through almost half their cards by turn 3-4, so making the deck smaller would only increase the amount of those decks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived