Alter White [New CCG developed by Arin]

Long ago, in ancient times, there existed a continent with 4 different superpowers. These four nations were at peace with one another for countless centuries. The four nations prospered and even engaged in banquets and other celebrations for their resounding success. This peace lasted for several decades.

But it would not be long before the peace was shattered.

A new material in the world, Runeforge, was gifted with the solar blessing of the Gods and Goddesses. It was a virtually indestructible material, and it can be used for practically any purpose. It glowed bright blue with a dark purple shadow, and it's awe-inspiring aura captivated it's successors. Soon thereafter, the four nations turned on each other, starting wars over the last few bits of this new Runeforge Crystal. Several raiding parties by the nations would result in the downfall of the four nations, and a new threat would rise from the chaos.

1a6d3de7fa.png

Hello everyone, I'm Arin and I'm here today to show off the latest card game that I've been developing for the past few months. Alter White, the completely original card game, combines lane-based combat with depth and strategy in order to decimate your opponents. Games are quick and exciting, with intensity being played behind every card.

In the thread, I'll quickly go over the rules of the game, the layout of the cards, the layout of the game board, and other miscellaneous rules. A full album will be available to see the cards readily available to play in the game!

[spoiler='Rules']1. The different phases of the round:

Draw Phase: During this Phase, both players draw until they have 5 cards in their hand. If they have more than 5 cards in their hand, they must discard cards from their hand until they have 4 or less cards in their hand, then draw 1. You must ALWAYS draw at least 1 card during your Draw Phase. If you cannot draw a card (because you have no cards left in your Deck, for example), you automatically lose the game.

Start Phase: During this Phase, any [START SKILL] effects activate. This Phase does nothing more than signify the beginning of the round.

Placement Phase: During this Phase, both players set cards on the field face-down. You can set up to 4 cards on the field at once (if your field is empty) in 4 "columns", or what is referred to in-game as "Lanes". Going from left-to-right, each Lane is labeled with a number going from 1 to 4. Units may be placed in any Lane, as well as Abilities. However, Abilities immediately go to the Graveyard after their effects have resolved. Units and Characters (more about Characters later) will always occupy that Lane until they are destroyed or removed from the field by another effect.

Reveal Phase: During this Phase, both players Reveal their face-down cards by flipping them face-up.

Action Phase: During this Phase, you will use Actions and strategy to overcome your foe. Depending on who has the advantage (more about Advantage later), Abilities of the player that has Advantage will always resolve first, followed by Units and Characters with the highest AGI. Then, combat continues between both players as cards with descending AGI go back and forth in battle. During the Action Phase, you may take only one action per card. Cards with [ACTION SKILLS] will take up that "turn" for that card. If you don't want that card to use an [ACTION SKILL], you can have that card "Attack", which will do damage to one card of your choice in any Lane, or "Guard", which reduces the effect of damage you take from enemy attacks by 50%. (The effect of Guarding lasts until the end of the round.) If your opponent has no cards in a Lane that you have a card in, you may send that Unit to attack directly. If it does so, subtract that Unit's DMG stat (more about card stats later) from that player's total Life. Each player gets 10 Life to start with. 

End Phase: When all Units have taken an Action, they become Stunned. Stunned Units become Unstunned during the End Phase. If there are any cards that have 0 HP (a term we refer to as Incapacitated), they are sent to the Graveyard during this phase. A Unit that is Incapacitated is turned face-down and horizontally to signify that it is Incapacitated. Once all cards with 0 HP are sent to the Graveyard, the End Phase completes, as well as the round. This process of Phases continues until there is a winner.

2. Card Stats:

[spoiler='Example card']f81585dbab.png[/spoiler]

The "Heart" stat signifies the card's Maximum Hit Points (MHP for short), and is used to describe how much damage a card can take. For example, a card with 60 MHP can take up to 60 points of damage before it becomes Incapacitated. When that Unit takes damage, it's MHP becomes independent from it's current Hit Points (HP for short). For example, if a Unit takes 15 points of damage, it is displayed as 45/60 MHP.

The "Sword" stat signifies the card's Attack Stat (ATK for short), and is used to describe how much damage a card deals.

The "Armor" stat signifies the card's Defense Stat (DEF for short), and is used to describe how much damage is mitigated from an Attack. If a card that has 10 Defense takes 20 damage, it will only take 10 damage (20-10 = 10). (NOTE: If a card says to "subtract ATK directly from the HP", then it ignores DEF and bypasses [COUNTER SKILLS])

The "Dash" stat signifies the card's Agility Stat (AGI for short), and is used to describe how fast that particular Unit may act during the Action Phase. Higher AGI cards between both players will resolve first, followed by cards with less AGI in descending order. For example, a 5 AGI card goes before 4, which goes before 3, and so on. It also dictates which cards activate their Abilities first when concerning [START SKILLS] and [OPEN SKILLS].

The "Star" stat signifies the card's Damage Stat (DMG for short), and is used to describe how much damage a card deals to the opposing player. When a Unit declares a direct attack on the opponent, that card's DMG value is subtracted from the total Life of the opponent.

The upper-left hand portion of the card signifies the card's allegiance (Aeneas, Yllisian, Veritas, Rorona) and the upper-right hand portion of the card signifies the card's Level (LVL for short). To be able to play cards, you must first discard cards during your Placement Phase. Each time you discard a card, you can increase the Level of one faction you control by 1. So, for example, in order to play a Level 3 card, you would first need to discard 3 cards. Faction Levels never decrease on their own. They can only be decreased via effects or skills.

Aeneas's allegiance is signified by a yellow sun, Yllisian's allegiance is signified by a red fire, Veritas's allegiance is signified by a purple moon, and Rorona's allegiance is signified by a blue tidal wave.

3. Different types of Skills:

[ACTION SKILL] is the most basic type of Skill. If you don't want your character to Attack or Guard for this turn, you can use an [ACTION SKILL] in its place.

[OPEN SKILLS] activate when the card is first flipped up from its facedown status. These kind of effects resolve after Abilities during the Reveal Phase. These are generally very powerful one-time use skills.

[START SKILLS] activate during the Start Phase of the round. These might be general buffs that enhance your cards or special effects among cards.

[DEATH SKILLS] activate when a card's HP reaches 0. These kind of effects resolve before the card is officially Incapacitated.

[COUNTER SKILLS] activate when the card is hit with damage. These skills do not activate if the card would otherwise be incapacitated from damage. (NOTE: If a card says to "subtract ATK directly from the HP", then it ignores DEF and bypasses [COUNTER SKILLS])

[PASSIVE SKILLS] activate only when certain conditions are met or triggered. These are general skills that cannot be mitigated or avoided. [PASSIVE SKILLS] are always active when on the field.

If a card has a specific condition it needs to be able to activate it's skill, then after the skill type, it will say "(Conditional Use: [X Condition])". Most devastating skills will have either a Level requirement or have a particular archetype of Unit on the field.

4. Clans and Sub-Clans.

Beyond the allegiance of all 4 Factions, there exist many types of Clans and Sub-Clans that work well in conjunction with each other. To find out the Clan and Sub-Clan of a particular card, go to the middle of the card. In the middle of the card, it will signify whether the card is a Unit, Character, or Ability. If the card is a Unit or Character, it may then be split off into a Clan and sometimes a Sub-Clan. For example, the card "Lady Paladin" is part of the [Human] Clan, and it's Sub-Clan is a [Solar Kingdom] card. If a card is a "Character", then only one copy of that Unique Character maybe be present on your field at any time. If you play another copy of that "Character", then that card is "Backlashed" and sent to the Graveyard.

5. Miscellaneous Rules

[spoiler='Example card']a44512faae.png[/spoiler]

Always resolve skills and effects before starting another one. For example, a Blinkblade Rogue Incapacitates a card with it's [OPEN SKILL] that hits a card with a [DEATH SKILL] that then hits another card with a [COUNTER SKILL]. Blinkblade Rogue's skill would Incapacitate that card, then the next card's [DEATH SKILL] would activate, then the [COUNTER SKILL] will activate.

Before the start of the game, both players roll a six-sided die. The player with the highest score gets the "Advantage" for that round. When you have the advantage, your cards with the same AGI as the opponents and any Abilities you play will ALWAYS resolve first. Then, at the start of the next round, the advantage passes on to the next player.

If you have multiple cards that have the same AGI stat, the player may decide how to resolve their actions.

6. Deckbuilding Rules.

You can only have 30 cards in your Deck, no more, no less. You can only have up to 3 copies of one card in your Deck at one time. You can only have up to 3 "EX" cards in your Deck at once. "EX" cards are incredibly rare re-prints of already existing cards with better effects. (Coming soon!)[/spoiler]

This game has been fully tested with one set of 60 cards, and has another 60 card set in the works being tested. If you would like to playtest for this game, send me a PM with the details of when you can playtest, and I will recruit you for our team!

Just found out about this today, and I must say, you've raised my interest. Are you willing to accept card ideas? Card creation's a favorite hobby of mine, and seeing this project of yours has gotten me inspired.

Hello there~

Please PM me if you have any questions. I don't normally take on card ideas but right now I need as much help as I can.

As for in terms of actual card making, that would also have to be settled in a PM to avoid legal issues.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've completely redefined the idea of my card game with a few new mechanics.

1. Cards are going to look a little bit different now. The reason for this is because I felt the old template lacked any sort of real "depth" when concerning factions. As opposed to the boring old gray and brown template the old cards had, the new template makes cards feel more alive and more appropriate with their faction. The new template also makes it easier to read cards and has a more streamlined look about it.
  2. There is a new mechanic in the game: Magic Stones. Magic Stones are equivalent to Magic's Lands, or Force of Will's mechanic regarding Magic Stones. At the start of each turn, all of the Magic Stone cards you control are Expended (tapped). You then acquire AP (Action Points) determinant on how many Magic Stones were Expended. You can then use these AP to do Action Skills, Start Skills, and Death Skills. Magic Stones are not part of your main Deck and are instead stored in a separate Deck called the Magic Stone Deck. You can have a maximum of 9 Magic Stones in your Deck.
  3. Before, with the old mechanic, you had to discard cards in order to ramp up to the next level. This is counterproductive to certain Decks and makes first turn setups incredibly boring. With the new system, your first two Magic Stones that you Raise (unflip) cost nothing, but after that, your third, fourth, and fifth magic stones will cost 1 AP, 2 AP, and 3 AP, respectively, and then your sixth and up Magic Stone afterwards will always costs 4 AP. There's a mechanic in the game that allows you to Raise your next stone for free, so it's important that these cards be an integral part of your Deck, especially if you run mid/big cards (Levels 4-6 and 7-9, respectively). The Levels of Units you can now put into play is determinant on how many Magic Stones you have currently Expended. If you have 4 Expended Magic Stones, then you can play Units that have a Level of up to 4.
  4. Because of the new system, some of the old cards that you have seen before may look entirely different. This is because in the old version of the game, the maximum Level cap was only 5. Now, it is 9. Therefore, some cards have been balanced in order to go along with this new mechanic.

If anyone is still interested in testing the game with me, feel free to PM me. As of this moment, the old version of the game is no longer being made, and all files for the old program are no longer being updated.

Archived