State of Competitive Community Reform

I am writing this message on the grounds of what I believe to be, missed potential on both the hands of the staff, and those of us in the competitive Yugioh playing community here at YCM. Just recently, iHop hosted an event, the YCMCS, that proved we can run tournaments with a good number of players and everything still worked out fine. While iHop himself has come out and said that he would like to host another YCMCS sometime, I believe it would be great for our competitive community if we were to host these events regularly. This of course, while I'm sure he would be most pleased with the idea, nor is he the host of the very first YCMCS that happened several years ago, more than likely delegating the role of hosting the tournaments onto a staff member, rather than it being hosted by iHop.

This would let as many members compete as they wish, and for the staff, I'd like to assume that duties could be changed should one of the hosting staff wish to take part themselves. Personally, I think that the idea of on-site warring, similar to DNF and DGz's warring systems, could also be tested. While we do not have anywhere near the publicity of DNF, nor the esteem of DGz when it comes to actually playing this game and setting up a war scene, I don't see any reason why we should just give up without giving it a try. However, the major problem with this idea is it could almost feel like a large percentage of the TCG posters are forced to join a team, or feel forced to do so, rather than competing because they wish to.

So, would hosting such events regularly be possible? And if so, is there any way we can set up some sort of structure for them to be hosted in, as well as allowing the hosting of unofficial tournaments like the Numbers Tournament that has been held numerous times.

None of our staff members actually play YGO except Nai and evilfusion. And both of them are busy irl with other things.

It's my belief that these kind of tournaments should be sanctioned to the members only that want to participate. Having the staff hold a tournament that nearly 75% of the people on this forum have no interest in only adds more workload to the staff people, who are already busy dealing with idiots with reports, spammage, and the TCG section. That, and, do you really want people who don't know how to play the game running a tournament for a game they don't know how to play? They could hold onto decklists or something, like they've done in the past, but the actual setting up of the tournament and getting everything rolling should ultimately fall with the members who ACTUALLY hold interest in the game.

tl;dr: No support. No reason to add more workload to the mods.

None of our staff members actually play YGO except Nai and evilfusion. And both of them are busy irl with other things.

It's my belief that these kind of tournaments should be sanctioned to the members only that want to participate. Having the staff hold a tournament that nearly 75% of the people on this forum have no interest in only adds more workload to the staff people, who are already busy dealing with idiots with reports, spammage, and the TCG section. That, and, do you really want people who don't know how to play the game running a tournament for a game they don't know how to play? They could hold onto decklists or something, like they've done in the past, but the actual setting up of the tournament and getting everything rolling should ultimately fall with the members who ACTUALLY hold interest in the game.

tl;dr: No support. No reason to add more workload to the mods.

Sakura plays the game, and would be more than capable of managing such an event, if he were onboard with the idea.

Is it really necessary to have a staff member host these things? I feel it would make more sense to have a seperate official tournament director, staff member or not, who is ultimately responsible for hosting tournaments, and giving that person the ability to delegate the running of various tournaments to other people. Arin is correct in saying that our staff may not be willing to host tournaments, and while Mugen at any rate may be willing I don't think it needs to be the case unless he actively really wants to host it. I'd much rather have tournament hosting spread between various people who are actually willing. I mean, I don't want to be hosting every single YCMCS anyway since I actually want to play at some point, so having various people do them would mean that the person most willing at the time can host.

I am, however, completely on board with the idea of various regular YCM tournaments, although like I say I feel the best way of running these would be through a tournament director or a group of tournament directors who are responsible for scheduling tournaments, hosting tournaments and delegating the hosting of tournaments. The idea of warring sounds cool as well.

You don't even play the game anymore, but well, thank you for your insightful and thoughtful input anyway Dae.

I remember several attempts of warring before here, but most of them fell flat not long after launch. Eh, though maybe a joint effort between the staff and some organizers could work out well enough I guess, since it seems having it entirely organized by the staff would end messily.

The problem is, no matter how many the staff and the organizers are (are the latter standard or varying?), there will always be something that keeps some of them busy. Or they may just not be into doing something, but let's hope this doesn't happen so frequently  :) ...

A good alternative could be minimizing the tournaments taking place withing a specific period. Not that there are too many ongoing, causing all sorts of problems!

I'll explain myself with an example: Right now, there is the upcoming YCMCS, the DP Tournament, the CC Monthly Series-May 2015 (in the Card Contests section) and maybe other YGO tourneys staff I'm unaware of. It's very likely that staff be late to their schedule (whether here or irl) to want and be able to take part in other things. As for casual members... well, we are not staff for a reason; not much to expect from us. However, there are those who really wanna make a difference, but they are essentially not heard, or quit their idea soon (for whatever reason, e.g. Dartz10 whose tournament was this.)

My point? YOU are usually initiating things and we follow. I wish I could coorporate, but I'm busy at unexpected times and whenever I'm not, I become lazy enough to do something (here).

Archived