Lily Skywise

CommanderVolt

Lily%20Sky_zpsfpdrquo5.png

Lily Skywise - Warrior/LIGHT 2600 ATK 2800 DEF Level 7 Synchro Effect

[Card Lore]

1 Tuner-monster + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters.
Once per turn, when an Attack Position monster you control is targeted for an attack or card effect; you can change that monster to Defense Position and if you do, negate that attack or card effect. Defense Position monsters you control can attack. When a monster you control in Defense Position attacks, apply the ATK of that monster for damage calculation.

Another warm up card. This time a defensive-esque synchro.

CnC Appreciated!

At first glance it looks decent. Negating targeting attacks and effects by changing positions is a decent form of protection. I assume the ability to attack in defense position is so you can still attack even if you have to use the effect on a monster that was summoned that turn. Its a good idea, I can see the synergy. Its only once per turn so your opponent can still get it with 2 or more effects in 1 turn, which is a nice balancing factor. Since its LV7 it has to compete with clearwing synchro dragon and moonlit black rose dragon (I might have that name slightly off). All 3 of them (the 2 existing level 7s I mentioned and your card) have lock/protection effects but they all fit different situations. I'm not sure if I'd use this over clear wing every time. If I had room for both it would depend on the matchup which one I summoned.

Question:

How does "When a monster you control in Defense Position attacks, apply the ATK of that monster for damage calculation." interact with superheavy samurai Big Bennkei?

300px-SuperheavySamuraiBigBenkei-AP06-EN

Without a ruling from you I'm honestly not sure.

At first glance it looks decent. Negating targeting attacks and effects by changing positions is a decent form of protection. I assume the ability to attack in defense position is so you can still attack even if you have to use the effect on a monster that was summoned that turn. Its a good idea, I can see the synergy. Its only once per turn so your opponent can still get it with 2 or more effects in 1 turn, which is a nice balancing factor. Since its LV7 it has to compete with clearwing synchro dragon and moonlit black rose dragon (I might have that name slightly off). All 3 of them (the 2 existing level 7s I mentioned and your card) have lock/protection effects but they all fit different situations. I'm not sure if I'd use this over clear wing every time. If I had room for both it would depend on the matchup which one I summoned.

Question:

How does "When a monster you control in Defense Position attacks, apply the ATK of that monster for damage calculation." interact with superheavy samurai Big Bennkei?

300px-SuperheavySamuraiBigBenkei-AP06-EN

Without a ruling from you I'm honestly not sure.

Shame on me, in my thought process at the time I never considered this. Now, as much as I would like to think up some magical ruling that could make this work, I can't allow my self to do that. After you brought it to my attention i rummaged around for information. I thought about potential changing her effect to being warrior-tribal with text stating "Monsters originally Warrior-type." But this would be unflavorful for my intentions, and also it spells specific hate to DNA Surgery and bypasses Zombie World. So I've come to the following conclusion unless I figure out something else.

Benkei's effects say "Superheavy Samurai" monsters you control can attack while in face-up Defense Position. If they do, apply their DEF for damage calculation." Now, theres a chance this could be totally wrong, but I'm assuming, with Benkei and Lily on the field, Benkei's effect checks immediately once the Superheavy Samurai Monster attacks, putting the effect in motion. Then Lily sees that a defense position monster is attacking, and her's overwrites and uses the monsters ATK for damage calculation.

Archived