[Archetype] Hellion

Queen of the Abyss

Hellions are a DARK archetype with 0 DEF, to an extent based on Zoharistic Qabalah, focused mainly on taking damage to place Counters on the field, which rack up advantage. Your main goal is to balance your main LP loss with gain from your Princesses (Whom are Rank 4s) or field dominance via your Princes (Whom are Main Deck bosses). Gaining counters can be done not only through the main means of Battle Damage promoted throughout, but also through self burn via its own Blader or even techs like Burning Land and Tremendous Fire if you so wish. I think the rest speaks for itself, but feedback is much appreciated, as this is my first archetype!

[spoiler Main Deck Monsters]
[spoiler Hellion Hound]
0whWyjt.png
When you take damage, place 1 Hellion Counter on this card for every 500 points of damage. You can remove 2 Hellion Counters from this card; add 1 "Hellion" Monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Hellion Hound" once per turn

[spoiler Hellion Blader]
F0HgvMj.png
If this card is Summoned, destroy it during the End Phase. When this card is destroyed; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Hellion" monster from your Deck, except "Hellion Blader" and if you do, you take 1000 damage. You can only activate this effect of "Hellion Blader" once per turn.

[spoiler Hellion Lizard]
IbR2wGd.png
When you take damage, place 1 Hellion Counter on this card for every 500 points of damage. You can remove 2 Hellion Counters from this card; add 1 "Hellion" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Hellion Lizard" once per turn.

[spoiler Hellion Princess - Pele]
WzzMg5K.png

You can discard this card; add 1 "Hellion Gate" from your Deck to your hand. If this card's ATK becomes 0, destroy it, and if you do, Set 1 "Hellion" Continuous Trap Card directly from your Deck. That Set card can be activated this turn, but destroy it during your next Standby Phase.

[spoiler Hellion Wolf]
6IORW2m.png
When you take damage, place 1 Hellion Counter on this card for every 500 points of damage. This card gains 500 ATK for each Hellion Counter on this card. When this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing damage to your opponent. When this card attacks, remove all Hellion Counters on this card at the end of the Damage Step.

[spoiler Hellion Swords Mistress - Enyo]
9KwvfYS.png
When this card is Normal Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Hellion" monster from your hand, then you take 500 damage.

[spoiler Hellion Queen - Lilith]
onVBxTv.png
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by removing 5 Hellion Counters from anywhere on the field. You can only Special Summon 1 "Hellion Queen - Lilith" per turn this way. "Hellion" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by card effects. Once per turn, during your opponent's turn, if your opponent would target exactly 1 "Hellion" monster you control and no other monsters for an attack or card effect, you can remove 2 Hellion Counters from anywhere on the field, then target 1 "Hellion" monster you control; that monster becomes the new target. You can only control 1 "Hellion Queen - Lilith".

[spoiler Xyz Monsters]
[spoiler Hellion Princess - Agrat Bat Mahlat]
fbR7FcY.png
2 Level 4 DARK monsters
While this card has Xyz Materials, if a "Hellion" monster you control would be destroyed (by battle or by card effect), you can reduce that monster's ATK to 0, and if you do, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects until the End Phase. During each of your opponent's End Phases, detach 1 Xyz Material from this card. You can only control 1 "Hellion Princess - Agrat Bat Mahlat".

[spoiler Hellion Princess - Eisheth Zenium]
R9FQaaO.png
2 Level 4 DARK monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can target 1 monster you control; reduce that monster's ATK to 0, and if you do, gain Life Points equal to the original ATK of that monster. You can only control 1 "Hellion Princess - Eisheth Zenium".

[spoiler Hellion Princess - Na'amah]
asHGaTZ.png
2 Level 4 DARK monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; gain 500 Life Points for every Hellion Counter on the field. You can only control 1 "Hellion Princess - Na'amah".

[spoiler Spells and Traps]
[spoiler Hellion Gate]
OUGnY7A.png
When you take damage, place 1 Hellion Counter on this card for every 500 damage you take. When a "Hellion" monster is Normal Summoned, place 1 Hellion Counter on this card. Once per turn, if you would activate a card effect by removing a Hellion Counter(s) from your side of the field, you can remove that many Hellion Counters from this card instead. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 2 Hellion Counters from this card instead.

[spoiler Hellion's Reinforcements - Erinyes]
nPjyY4s.png
During the turn this card is activated, monsters you control with 0 ATK cannot be destroyed by battle, and if an opponent's monster battles a monster you control with 0 ATK, destroy the opponent's monster at the end of the Damage Step.

[spoiler Hellion Bridge]
CLXrE1Z.png
While you control a face-up Field Spell card, both players must conduct their Battle Phase, and monsters your opponent controls must attack, if able. At the start of the Battle Phase, you can target 1 monster your opponent controls; change that monster's battle position. You must control a face-up Attack Position "Hellion" monster to activate and resolve this effect. When your opponent declares an attack, you can reduce the ATK of the monster you control to 0 until the end of the Damage Step, and if you do, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle.

[spoiler Hellion Summoning Door]
kDTQJFG.png
When you take damage, place 1 Hellion Counter on this card for every 500 points of damage. During your Main Phase 1 or your opponent's End Phase, you can remove any number of Hellion Counters from this card; Special Summon a "Hellion" monster whose ATK is equal to or less than the number of Hellion Counters removed x600. You can only activate this effect of "Hellion Summoning Door" once per turn.

Updated a few things:

- Bridge requires a face up Hellion for battle position changing

- Agrat only requires 2 DARKs now

- The high level main deck monsters were removed aside from Lilith

- Enyo, an archetypal Goblindbergh, was added

- Hellion Reinforcements - Erinyes, a secondary Bridge that works very well with Eisheth and Agrat, was added

- Summoning Door's OCG was fixed

Most of the changes you mentioned were already made before your post today, so why point it out now?  :/

Anyway, about the cards: I like the Main Deck monsters. They have good effects and can not be considered OP even with the ease you can activate them. Your opponent can bypass your cards' threat, so you try to trigger events skillfully with your boss monsters and the Spell/Trap Cards support.

Now that I mentioned them, some of their effects seem to be a bit much to what they can do - not alone, but together with the other cards.

-Lilith: Your Field Spell and Summoning Door guarantee that you can Summon it easily. Not only this, but removing 2 Counters from anywhere to prevent a Hellion monster been affected as a target is a bit much, considering Lilith already offers a continuous immunity to destruction. Either remove one of the two effects or change the cost to the 2nd one. There's not even the OPT clause (Once Per Turn), a very important thing to add to many cases (I'm not talking only about this card, it's about every card where it's needed).

-Agrat: Hmmm..... I can't make up my mind with this. Unless I see how it functions in a duel, I can't decide.  :S

"if a "Hellion" monster you control would be destroyed (by battle or by card effect), you can reduce that monster's ATK to 0, and if you do, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects until the End Phase." This means that, if 2 or more Hellion monster would be destroyed, you can save only 1 of them. I thought you should know this.

-Eisheth: The first thing I thought when I read its effect is "Mystik Wok". It's a Quick-Play Spell Card which Tributes 1 of your monsters and increases your LP by its ATK or DEF. Both cards are like "Do I need the LP boost? Is my monster gonna leave the field anyway? Let's gain from either case." Only difference, Eishith is a continuous Mystik Wok and (oddly enough) does not detach a Material at any time. I think you forgot you add this.

-Gate: Oh my, what a card! Basically, one very important for your Deck. It reminded me of Magical Citadel of Endymion (another Field Spell Card). If it wasn't for MCE, I'd find things to critic about but right now, I think it's ok.

-Bridge: "While you control a face-up Field Spell card,..." This I believe needs to change. Gate already has immunity as long as is has Counters, so why add this line? I may exaggerate though, because an MST can solve the problem so I guess it's a matter of taste. " When your opponent declares an attack, you can reduce the ATK of the monster you control to 0 until the end of the Damage Step..." Your monsters most of the time will not be destroyed by battle (your Xyzs and S/T Cards guarantee this), so why there is always this "0 ATK" thing? One card or two (your choice) should not do it, because then it's like you over-abuse your archetype's best strategy.

-Summoning Door: Same as Agrat; I can't decide yet.

I hope I wasn't too rough. Sometimes, more reviews balance things so, be optimist. And open-minded.

P.S. I like that you mentioned Burning Land and Tremendous Fire. Both are excellent for your Deck, but I think 2 or 3 Fires are more than enough.

Most of the changes you mentioned were already made before your post today, so why point it out now?  :/

They were made yesterday actually, and I was not able to make the post to do so then.

Anyway, about the cards: I like the Main Deck monsters. They have good effects and can not be considered OP even with the ease you can activate them. Your opponent can bypass your cards' threat, so you try to trigger events skillfully with your boss monsters and the Spell/Trap Cards support.

Now that I mentioned them, some of their effects seem to be a bit much to what they can do - not alone, but together with the other cards.

They are unfortunately harder to trigger than I would like them to be. Lemme put this down, if you open Gate and especially with Bridge, you are good to go because you will be stacking a good amount of counters, but without it, it can take some time to get started, and your tactics in the meantime aren't that effective. At best, you are fine as long as your opponent has no answers, but you slowly delve in until you do. I would compare it to Ritual Beasts when they brick in some ways.

-Lilith: Your Field Spell and Summoning Door guarantee that you can Summon it easily. Not only this, but removing 2 Counters from anywhere to prevent a Hellion monster been affected as a target is a bit much, considering Lilith already offers a continuous immunity to destruction. Either remove one of the two effects or change the cost to the 2nd one. There's not even the OPT clause (Once Per Turn), a very important thing to add to many cases (I'm not talking only about this card, it's about every card where it's needed).

This goes in tandem with what I was saying earlier. It is not quite as easy to summon, and it is kinda eh except in a few ideal situations, mostly when you have a 1 card Extra Deck utility in hand. Pairing it with Agrat is amazing, but that's another ideal situation. It's good for sure and has a really nice role, but it isn't the craziest thing in the world, because most of the time the last thing you want to do is have to worry about such things. I might actually change it because it really is eh, but I will summon it first to find out if it is necessary.

-Agrat: Hmmm..... I can't make up my mind with this. Unless I see how it functions in a duel, I can't decide.  :S

"if a "Hellion" monster you control would be destroyed (by battle or by card effect), you can reduce that monster's ATK to 0, and if you do, that monster cannot be destroyed by battle or by card effects until the End Phase." This means that, if 2 or more Hellion monster would be destroyed, you can save only 1 of them. I thought you should know this.

That is intentional. It's more or less a Ghoulungulate if you will. Also, how unfair would it be if I let it drop to 0 before it is destroyed? Feels like it would make OCG easier. But as of now, it definitely is good, but Eisheth is who tends to shine over Agrat. The problem with Agrat is the amount of damage you can take while under it, whereas with say Eisheth, you are healing for 1500-2500 and with Bridge on board you are relatively fine

-Eisheth: The first thing I thought when I read its effect is "Mystik Wok". It's a Quick-Play Spell Card which Tributes 1 of your monsters and increases your LP by its ATK or DEF. Both cards are like "Do I need the LP boost? Is my monster gonna leave the field anyway? Let's gain from either case." Only difference, Eishith is a continuous Mystik Wok and (oddly enough) does not detach a Material at any time. I think you forgot you add this.

It's supposed to detach on activation, but yes, you are kinda right. You usually need the LP boost when you use it, more than likely in tandem with Bridge and then say rank up into Tasigur.

-Gate: Oh my, what a card! Basically, one very important for your Deck. It reminded me of Magical Citadel of Endymion (another Field Spell Card). If it wasn't for MCE, I'd find things to critic about but right now, I think it's ok.

I think we both know that not only does this card help a ton, but it literally is what the Deck runs on to keep going for a while

-Bridge: "While you control a face-up Field Spell card,..." This I believe needs to change. Gate already has immunity as long as is has Counters, so why add this line? I may exaggerate though, because an MST can solve the problem so I guess it's a matter of taste. " When your opponent declares an attack, you can reduce the ATK of the monster you control to 0 until the end of the Damage Step..." Your monsters most of the time will not be destroyed by battle (your Xyzs and S/T Cards guarantee this), so why there is always this "0 ATK" thing? One card or two (your choice) should not do it, because then it's like you over-abuse your archetype's best strategy.

The forced attacking might be dropped depending on how it works out when the Deck becomes better at what it does. However, as noted in our duel, the MST can put you in a bad spot with this, despite Gate's protection. Bridge sort of connects Gate in a way that it keeps your counters flowing and your monsters on the field. The drawback is you essentially are taking direct attacks to the face, hence the common idea of 0 ATK. It's sort of like a deal with the devil. You get a lot of potential for a lot of nice effects, sometimes for free, but then you are costing a lot of Life Points at the same time. You have to balance the 2 via the Xyz.

-Summoning Door: Same as Agrat; I can't decide yet.

Fair enough. It's potent, but you usually grab this card last.

I hope I wasn't too rough. Sometimes, more reviews balance things so, be optimist. And open-minded.

To be fair, I felt the same way as I was finishing this up, but this ended up a lot more underwhelming than I expected it to be. You have a lot of options and once you get going you have a lot of outs and a lot of endurance, but it ultimately has to lead to something to build up to, which is what I have been trying to work on getting to. You saw what happens ideally, but when you are put to Extra Deck monsters consistently and you don't always have the perfect set of cards, you have to work to get out of the LP clock. I think once that isn't a frequent thing you will be closer on point, but for now, it will be worked on.

P.S. I like that you mentioned Burning Land and Tremendous Fire. Both are excellent for your Deck, but I think 2 or 3 Fires are more than enough.

Funny enough, I haven't taken my own advice up until recently. I run 2 Burning Land, not sure about Tremendous Fire, but depending on the damage output I can make on an opponent, it's something to consider. As noted with Barbar, easily accessible burn that benefits you easily is not something to overlook.

So the only card I really don't get is the reinforcements. It only works if Bridge is already in place since you don't seem to have other cards that drop your own attack to 0. That being said if you have bridge then you're good...so what's the point having the reinforcements. It doesn't come across as a secondary bridge its seems more like an extra combo piece. If anything I recommend that if reinforcements is going to be a card for when you do not have bridge I think you should also have the monsters attack drop to 0. 

So the only card I really don't get is the reinforcements. It only works if Bridge is already in place since you don't seem to have other cards that drop your own attack to 0. That being said if you have bridge then you're good...so what's the point having the reinforcements. It doesn't come across as a secondary bridge its seems more like an extra combo piece. If anything I recommend that if reinforcements is going to be a card for when you do not have bridge I think you should also have the monsters attack drop to 0. 

It's meant to go in tandem with Eisheth and Agrabat, actually. They are how you get the drop to 0.

Archived