[Season 3] YCM SOTW #15 - Freestyle

Night

Which piece do you think is the best?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which piece do you think is the best?

SOTWS3.png

Theme: Freestyle, anything goes

QVGoPXC.png

bb3Q27n.png

wtyjqb.jpg

2015July23_zps2olhx5pz.png

Nw_Opera.png

D18RfTy.png

fqc4Fxe.gif

RF3VsuI.png

bFSTdDr.jpg?1

H3qj7GA.png

QQ4QOWi.png

Rewards

Winning submission gets a spot in the hall of fame and a plaque showcasing the piece:

NwSOTW1Catman.png

1st place gets this weeks winners pack:

Nw_Sotw_Winners_Pack_IMG.png

(reward pack contents change weekly, each pack is unique.)

1st place also gets +10 points towards the Showcase Badge seen below, 2nd place gets +5.

(100 points are needed to receive the badge)

Showcaseaward.png

Voting rules:

• Anyone can vote, you don't need any graphic design knowledge to do so, critique and analysis is appreciated but not a must, comments of any sort are favorable.

• If you've submitted a piece you may not vote for it, voting for others however is encouraged.

• Bribing or informing others of which submission is yours is not permitted and if found doing so, you will be banned from the graphic competitions section.

Voting ends 7/25 at 11:59PM EST. Whoever has the most votes at that point wins. 

#2 by a slight bit over #5/#8. nice execution on this concept for once. very close sotw tho, just more of a wowfactor in 2 than the other for me. 5 is really nice but nothing engaging and 8 has a dope concept+execution but no elements that would make me pick it over the others

to be honest, some of these are really good. 5, 7, 8 are the koolest.

5, aesthetically pleasing overall but many design flaws and inconsistencies.

8, good job on the manip, I like it but could've done more with the atmosphere. The field looks very small because of the lighting and lack of depth.

Gonna give it to 7 for this one. Could've used more depth but honestly, best concept.

I like the depth on 5, but I have to give it to 2 just based on how cool the idea was and how well it was done. Really pops out for me. Definitely the one that made me think "Whoa this is cool" most.

Lotta cool sheet here though, seriously.

I really like 7's idea but, idk, I suppose it kinda feels weird to me looking at it, with how static (ugh puns) the rest of it looks compared to the bit of animation. Throws me off too much, personally.

Similar with 9, in that it kinda messes with me and I'm not sure how to think about it.

I really like #7, brings back those feelings of wonderment that I first got back in '08 when I was first introduced to tagging.

#8 is just a really solid manip though, there's nothing really special, but that's not really the point is it. I like the fact every aspect has a purpose and it conveys a story, simply.

Overall, probably one of my favorite sotw's so far just because everyone's bringing new sheet to the table and it feels like people are having fun with it again, that's good to see.

I'm proud of you fucks.

Oh and, a reminder that one person who votes and comments will be chosen at random to receive a free color topic item.

I've never voted in one of these before, but this seems a good one to start with.

Really solid showing from all parties, I'd say. The ones that stood out to me in particular were 2, 7 and 8. 2 just looks cool to me, I really dig the style and overall aesthetic. 7 just has the awesome factor to it, I really like the subtle static motion of the TV head that to me compliments and contrasts with the subdued environment it's in, if that makes sense. And 8 is a great example of how there's merit in simplicity and you don't have to throw a bunch of different elements into art for it to be great.

By a slim lead, 7 gets my vote. But nice pieces, this is all cool work.

YOU KNOW ITS COOL WHEN NIGHT FORGETS TO ADD MY funking SUBMISSION LMAO

<3

I legit feel bad, I'm super sorry bud. My inbox just got really funking flooded with sotw stuff and mod bullshit so your pm was on the next page over.

It also doesn't help that your pm literally just said "yo" whereas everyone else had sotw or something on it.

New rule, every submission needs it's own pm that's clearly labeled.

<3

I legit feel bad, I'm super sorry bud. My inbox just got really funking flooded with sotw stuff and mod bullshit so your pm was on the next page over.

It also doesn't help that your pm literally just said "yo" whereas everyone else had sotw or something on it.

New rule, every submission needs it's own pm that's clearly labeled.

you legit replied like twice and said "thanks for the sub" lmfao

itsk my tags here now im happy

although a lot of votes are aready put in gdi im crying ahhaha

My favorites are 1, 5, and 8, but 5 gmv. Love me some black and white, plus the texture is smex.

1's pallet is a nice warm color and the light fractal seems to go pretty well with the render.

8, like Night said, is just beautiful in its simplicity. While a manga render was used, it was blended extremely well with the realistic backdrop and foreground.

Opinions. Also since the theme is freestyle (anything goes) again, I'm just not gonna even think about the theme this time. XD

1. Really like the contrast with this one. Though something about that volcano bugs me. imo takes too much of my attention idk.
  2. Interesting design and idea. Part of me really likes it but another doesn't like all the lines. Eh idk.
  3. Bright and flashy, but overall a bit plain on composition. Having a bunch of stuff directly in the center is something that bugs me.
  4. Really like the colors and atmosphere for this one. The droplets/cracks on the right half really give me a fragile, shattered feeling. Wish it had some darker shades of blue too but still pretty good as is.
  5. This is interesting, and I like the use of layers and dimension in it, but other than that doesn't really strike my interest. A bit more contrast on the girl could have made her pop more imo.
  6. I like the double team effect here. Makes it look like he's moving from side to side, and also makes Latios look like he's part of the pic more. The mountain is a nice touch too. I think it would have been even better though if Latios seemed more affected by the environment in his coloring.
  7. I like the movement on the TV screen, and the contrast is very nice here. Overall great pic. The bg is just interesting enough to make my eye wander, but doesn't detract from the main focus much at all.
  8. I like how the painted backgrounds make it look anime, but the speech bubble and halftone overlay make it look like a manga. Nice effect there. Even more contrast would have made it great, imo.
  9. The smiley-face lines make this look a little bit less than it would've otherwise been, for me.
  10. Again, not a big fan of having things in the exact middle. Could've been even better otherwise.
  11. This is really good, though I think it would have been better to have the discs a bit less sharp and the ones in the foreground even more blurred out.

Voting #7 though there were quite a few good ones in this batch. #4 and #11 especially.

1: It looks nice, but I feel like the contrast between the super-clear front (lava ground or something) and the really blurred volcano in the background is a bit jarring. Also, while I normally like having a bar thing like that on the end, I feel like it would've been better if it had just been one entire piece this time. The rest of it looks gorgeous though.

2: Really unusual compared to what I see, but the concept is pretty dope. Is that an actual anime-character render's head or something there or am I just seeing things? Bit too unusual for my tastes atm though, still really cool.

3: Smudges are cool, but the colors are a bit, I dunno, neony/garish/etc. Also, the edges of the render itself are a bit sharp, and the text doesn't really fit in in my opinion.

4: That's cool. I really love that background and the transition, but the render edges are a bit sharp. Otherwise, really, really cool.

5: Aww yeeeeee. I'm a sucker for the "3D" style kind of things like this if done right, and the black/white goes along with this piece really well. The arm seems a bit sharp, but the text and all the little other flairs and bubbles and stuff look really, really dope. I adore this piece right here. Also, sucker for moonrune stuffs/anime character art.

6: I'm pretty sure I know who's this is, but anyways. No offense to you, but it's not quite on the same level as the other pieces. Not a bad piece I'd say, but could be better with blending and other fractals/etc to mix the render in.

7: Now that is some sick sheet. Love that animation, al though it's a bit too grainy for my tastes I guess, considering the rest of the render has a sort of blur on it. The background goes along well though I think with it, and the star texture thing blended in looks lovely with the feeling. Really mysterious/poetic sort of feeling in my opinion.

8: I love it when there's that sort of comic-book'y style of art in things like this, but my love for black/white pieces had stolen my heart with another piece first. I still love this one though, and although at first I thought the text meant to be somber, with the light/brightness, I realized it could also be taken in a good way, like everything's finally finished and etc.

9: Great and colorful, although a bit too saturated in my honest opinion. I'm not sure, but it seems like a lot of it is blurry to the point of low-quality artifacts lingering around, which is sort of ehhhh, but this piece is pretty okay.

10: This sig's cool, and lighting seems generally correct. The concept of like, welling out of the darkness/breaking up into darkness/etc (is this right, idk) is cool too, although I feel like the fractals could have been blended with the arm better for the render's right arm/elbow area.

11: Nice concept, but the blatant C4Ds of that design are just a bit off-putting to me, and the render seems a bit oversharp. I'm not really sure why there's justs a random flare next to her chest either, and the blend between the C4Ds and the rest of the sig is a bit jarring.

2 is a great new concept in my opinion, so that's love.

4 is pretty great, but outshined by the others I think.

5 and 7 are straight dope. It was a hard pick between the two, but I'm a sucker inside for the style of art that 5 went with, so in the end, that's my final pick.

All the other submissions were great, nice work to everyone.

And with that, I'm planning to head back into this section again, after a long hiatus of summer vacation and what else not~! :D

Archived