Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri / Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjDWdZxUba8

In August of 20XX, a portal to a parallel world, known as the "Gate," suddenly appeared in Ginza, Tokyo. Monsters and troops poured out of the portal, turning the shopping district into a bloody inferno.

The Japan Self Defence Force immediately took action and pushed the fantasy creatures back to the "Gate." To facilitate negotiations and prepare for future fights, the JSDF dispatched the Third Reconnaissance Team to the "Special Region" at the other side of the Gate.

Youji Itami, a JSDF officer as well as a 33-year-old otaku, was appointed as the leader of the Team. Amid attacks from enemy troops the team visited a variety of places and learnt a lot about the local culture and geography.

Thanks to their efforts in humanitarian relief, with some difficulties they were gradually able to reach out to the locals. They even had a cute elf, a sorceress and a demigoddess in their circle of new friends. On the other hand, the major powers outside the Gate such as the United States, China, and Russia were extremely interested in the abundant resources available in the Special Region and began to exert diplomatic pressure over Japan.

A suddenly appearing portal to an unknown world—to the major powers it may be no more than a mere asset for toppling the international order. But to our protagonists it is an invaluable opportunity to broaden knowledge, friendship, and ultimately their perspective towards the world.

So there's not any recent thread on this that I've found since it started airing so I decided to make one. Currently 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. The action and characters are cool, but what I also find really interesting is the politics of the countries, both in the real world and the world beyond the Gate. The animation is very nice, as well. I think I'm going to have to read the novels after this.

Before it began my biggest worry was that it might just be some mediocre fantasy harem thing, but I read comments and things saying it gets pretty dark at times and is often serious, and based on what I've watched so far I can agree. It's really cool so far.

One thing I'm really looking forward to that I hope actually happens is whatever sort of thing is going on in the opening where the sorcerer girl is in the real world speaking in front of an audience. Seems like it'd be pretty major and interesting.

That is a good example of the politics that I've found interesting so far. Though, I find the phrase, "boring and tame" an odd choice given [spoiler=some of this is spoilers to those who haven't seen the show yet]that the first episodes starts with a large attack by knights and dragon riders, and the JSDF slaughters an army of tens of thousands of soldiers at one point, and a fire dragon burns alive an entire village (though that part is only shown right at the beginning of episode 4). The anime tones it down some compared to the novels and manga (like those bandits Rory killed, them having just butchered and raped a bunch of people was understandably cut out), but it's still pretty violent at times.

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=I really enjoy this show.]oSmaslz.jpg?1

d4RSZO4.png?1

So the battles are as awesomely one-sided as ever, but seeing Rory and Kuribayashi kick the sheet out of some soldiers was my favorite part. Wonder what's gonna happen to Itami after what happened at the end of the episode.

Yeah, this episode was really fun. The fact ringlets was going to give up her virginity (I assume) to Itami only to see everyone having a grand ole time was funking funny. That one soldier was really happy to hit it off with a catgirl.

It'll be really interesting to see what they do in Japan, I'm super excited for the next episode. Moar Lelei plz.

These cliffhanger endings are killer. Episode 5, I GOTTA SEE THE CHOPPERS! Episode 6, I GOTTA SEE RINGLETS GET CHEWED OUT! Episode 7, I GOTTA SEE THEIR REACTIONS TO JAPAN!

If I hadn't already read far past this point in the manga, I would've gone nuts already.

New episode of Gate was noice. Seeing everyone's reactions to Japan was fun, and Rory rekt that one reporter. Repsect your elders, indeed.

Itami being both a Special Forces guy in addition to a Ranger and previously married is funny. I'm guessing his ex-wife is a struggling mangaka.

This episode had a good deal of the politics aspect that I like about this show. I wonder how everything's gonna go with the opposing parties and various other groups.

Yeah, I thought that was really funny. When I heard Archer I didn't give it any thought, then when they said Saber, I'm like, "Ok, I gotta hear a couple more names." and then they mentioned the Grail.

Such a tease, that Rory. I also find it adorable Lelei keeps falling asleep next to Itami.

Yeah, I thought that was really funny. When I heard Archer I didn't give it any thought, then when they said Saber, I'm like, "Ok, I gotta hear a couple more names." and then they mentioned the Grail.

They also said Lancer.

This has always been an part I've been looking forward to seeing. Not because it's particularly interesting to me, but because I'm interested in seeing peoples reactions to the Nationalistic spirit of the show being flaunted in full force, which is something I see it oft get criticized for.

Very intriguing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived