Aroma Jar

300px-AromaJar-CORE-JP-C.png

Rock/Flip/Effect

FLIP: During each player's End Phase, if this card is face-up on the field: Gain 500 LP.
While this flipped face-up card is on the field, it cannot be destroyed by battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_aWsZ86Dtk

For those who enter the tourneys at the sneak, this card was pretty much a pain to deal with, people sitting on them n' junk. Discuss?

As one may guess by it being in the Aroma archetype, it's a good card to run in their deck.  But in my experience, you only really need this early game when you've yet to set up your board, and mid to late game when you're set up and pulling LP and advantage out the ass, it's not so useful anymore.  A nice 2-of though, and good surprise wall that can be problematic for the opponent to get over until they get some removal.

Source: Plays Aroma

It's not a plant, it's slow, and it does nothing.

Shouldn't be run because it's just a wasted draw for slow gain.

For some reason now it reminds me of those old crappy strategies involving worm linx and some other floodgates, cept this can make the work by itself.

Still pretty slow. i dont think it can be good in decks other than aromas. the fact that this needs to be set first makes it very predictable and easy to deal with, even in shaddolls, despite they all being flip monsters.

I have the distinct recollection of me asking "how do I Aroma?" when they first came out and you specifically replying word-for-word with "you don't".  I think I'd know more about how their cards actually function in-game than you would given that.  I decided to swing into TCG/OCG once because this card - despite there being far better targets to search w/ Refreshing - can have its uses and I figured I should point them out.  I'd prefer to walk away from this thread not regretting an attempt to try new things.

I guess we're the minority because facing this card it was kinda annoying until I was able to blow it away or something so I would ASSUME it would be ok at least at 1s but...

I don't play aroma so don't quote me on that, I honestly don't like them.

I have the distinct recollection of me asking "how do I Aroma?" when they first came out and you specifically replying word-for-word with "you don't".  I think I'd know more about how their cards actually function in-game than you would given that.  I decided to swing into TCG/OCG once because this card - despite there being far better targets to search w/ Refreshing - can have its uses and I figured I should point them out.  I'd prefer to walk away from this thread not regretting an attempt to try new things.

I mean, attempts are all nice and stuff, and Aromas are an alright deck for casual play, but it doesn't change that out of all lifegain sources you can run, Jar is subpar. Yeah, it gets the archetype support, but it's way too slow and fragile to be relevant.

If you're going to take on the Ravenous Black, you gotta really know your archetype.

He has a point here, Aroma already has so much to screw with the opponent that they don't need this slow thing.

If battle protection still kicks in against the monster that attacked it and flipped it up, then it is some cute protection. I don't know the archetype exactly, but that would have helped more back when Marshmallon was good.

The LP gain shouldn't have been during the End Phase. Even if it triggers on both players's turns, it still kinda is required to gain LP during the turn to make the rest of the archetype live. That paired with the fact it isn't a Plant makes it have as much synergy with the rest of the theme as the Naturia Main Deck monsters used to have among each other, which is not all that much at times.

I can see it working at times but we are talking casuals here. It'd need to:
A ) Get more flexibility in the deck so it doesn't interrupt anything else they could do. Especially since this card seems to be more of an enabler, but Solemn Wishes or the Field Spell seem more consistent.

B ) Get more cards that can function in a similar way, mostly to prevent it from being the obvious play. 

I don't think the card is unplayable and experimenting is fine.

Though from personal experience, it isn't too good to have plays that are overly defensive. Not pushing the opponent back usually lets them get stronger and it hurts more then they break the wall. I learned this back in the day when trying to make a Valkyria attack lock in a Dark Magician deck (the example is as outdated as it can be, in fact it is like 12 years old, I know).

I'm saying this without an idea of if there is an optimal build for Aromas though. 

Surely a better idea would be to use some kind of Rank 3 engine and get out Number 49: Fortune Tune? As it provides (probably) better protection and the LP gain is during the Standby Phase, allowing you to activate your stuff at the start of the turn.

The only R3 engine of note is limited.

Archived