Random News Thread

I have an idea. I see a lot of threads that are basically just links to a news story in General. I suggest that there be a single thread for random bits of news where people can post these sort of things.

Threads for certain topics that include a news article are still fine of course but this is for when it's basically just the news article itself.

Wouldn't this make more difficult to comment or discuss on specific news when all of them are crammed in a single thread?

The problem is we get like, 4 different "Police doing a thing" threads where everyone basically replies with the same thing over and over. And then other random stories that no one really comments much more than that on as well.

Wouldn't this make more difficult to comment or discuss on specific news when all of them are crammed in a single thread?

Pretty much this.

The problem is we get like, 4 different "Police doing a thing" threads where everyone basically replies with the same thing over and over. And then other random stories that no one really comments much more than that on as well.

Yeah but the solution goes way too much in the opposite direction. If we get an intesting topic that people wanna talk about, we don't wanna be interrupted by the "Police do a thing" train.

Yeah but the solution goes way too much in the opposite direction. If we get an intesting topic that people wanna talk about, we don't wanna be interrupted by the "Police do a thing" train.

Hmm. Perhaps in that case a fix to the rules would be in order. Something along the lines of having to have a certain discussion topic to go along with the news article, and having similar news be put into those threads?

Such as a thread for news involving, say, the death sentence. A thread for news involving police officers, a thread for health related news. Something like that?

I'm just throwing ideas out there and seeing what would work really.

Two things!

1) Is this really a problem?

2) If this is a problem, is your solution an effective solution or a step in the right direction?

Starting with the first question, I don't really think the General Section is all that cluttered. Then again, I haven't been here in months and months, so my opinion on that is kinda moot.

Just, the first page of General still has topics from 2+ weeks ago. It doesn't look like we have a rush of topics vying for attention.

As for the second question, it seems like it'd take a lot of work to think up every possible "topic" and a lot of topics would overlap. Like, let's say cops shot a black man. Instead of one topic "Cops shoot a black man", we now have to post in the "Police Brutality" topic, we have to post in the "Civil Rights" topic, we have to post in the "Racial Injustice" topic, we have to post in the "Gun Control" topic, and bump all those topics to the front page. THAT creates a clutter. Instead of having 1 topic about 1 incident, we have the conversation spread across 4 different topics, and now those 4 topics are the things clogging up General. In an effort to make the general forum neater, it's now 4 times worse.

So again..

1) Is this really a problem?

I dunno. Maybe?

2) An effective solution?

The most obvious one is to create a "Current Events" sub forum, but I don't know if there's enough demand for it. Without Current Events, what is General supposed to stand for anyway?

Archived