Fungal Serpents [AGM, Written]

Draconus297

I'm creating the first AGM Community Thread!

This means that all members of the Archetype Generator Meta will be able to suggest cards, and will be given extra consideration when it comes to suggestions on fixes.

The original prompt:

An Archetype of EARTH Reptiles that love sapping the opponent's monsters ATK and DEF. Their Xyz Boss is basically a cross between 101 and Relinquished.

Without further ado, on with the show!

Python of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1400/1500

If your opponent controls a monster with 2000 or more original ATK, you can Special Summon this monster from your hand. During your Main Phase, you can change this monster's Battle Position to place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls. Monsters lose 200 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Viper of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1700/1200

If this monster battles, place 1 Spore Counter on the opposing monster before conducting damage calculation. If this monster destroys your opponent's monster by battle, you can place all Spore Counters that were on that monster on other monsters your opponent controls. Monsters lose 100 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Constrictor of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 900/2000

During each of your Standby Phases, place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls. When this monster battles, neither monster is destroyed (damage calculation is applied normally). Monsters lose 200 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Mamba of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 5 - Reptile/Effect - 2100/800

If you control 2 or more "Fungal Serpents" monsters, you can Special Summon this monster from your hand: if you activate this effect, this monster becomes Level 4. When your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), place 2 Spore Counters on that monster(s). Monsters lose 300 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Asp of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 8 - Reptile/Effect - 2900/0

If there are 10 or more Spore Counters on the field, you can Special Summon this monster from your hand or Graveyard: if you activate this effect, place 3 Spore Counters on the monster your opponent controls with the highest ATK (your choice, if tied). Twice per turn, during either player's turn, you can declare a Level between 1 and 8 and target a Reptile-Type monster on the field: That target becomes the declared Level. Monsters lose 200 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Cobra of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1300/1600

Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can discard 1 Reptile-Type monster from your hand to place a number of Spore Counters equal to that monster's Level on a random monster your opponent controls. Monsters lose 100 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Copperhead of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1600/1300

When this monster is Summoned successfully, place 1 Spore Counter on the monster your opponent controls with the highest ATK (if tied, you decide). This monster inflicts piercing Battle Damage. Monsters lose 100 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Rattlesnake of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 500/2400

Once per turn, when your opponent's monster declares an attack; negate the attack, and place 1 Spore Counter on the attacking monster. If your opponent's monster with 2 or more Spore Counters activates an effect: place 2 Spore Counters on that monster when the effect resolves. Monsters lose 100 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them.

Garter of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1200/1700

During the turn this monster is Normal or Special Summoned, during your Main Phase: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your hand. Monsters lose 200 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: Place 1 Spore Counter on each face-up monster your opponent controls.

Boomslang of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1800/1100

When this monster is Normal or Special Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Graveyard, and if you do, place 1 Spore Counter on a face-up monster your opponent controls. Monsters lose 100 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Threadsnake of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Level 4 - Reptile/Effect - 1100/1800

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned, place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls. Monsters your opponent controls lose 100 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them. If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, or detached from a Reptile-Type Xyz monster: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Deck, except "Threadsnake of the Fungal Serpents". A Reptile-Type Xyz monster with this card as Xyz Material gains the following effect:

●Your opponent's non-Reptile-Type monsters with less ATK than this card cannot activate their effects.

Ergot, Lady of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Rank 4 - Reptile/Xyz/Effect - 700/2200

3 Level 4 monsters

Increase this monster's ATK by the combined ATK of its Reptile-Type Xyz Materials. This monster cannot be destroyed during the Battle Phase. If this monster battles a monster with 3 or more Spore Counters on it, you can negate the attack: attach the opposing monster to this card as Xyz Material, and place 1 Spore Counter on another face-up monster your opponent controls. During each of your End Phases, detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card or destroy it. If this card would be destroyed, except by its own effect: You can Xyz Summon 1 Rank 5 or lower Reptile-Type Xyz monster from your Extra Deck, using this card as Xyz Material (any Xyz Materials that were on this monster when this effect was activated are attached to the new monster).

Bertillon, Lord of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Rank 4 - Reptile/Xyz/Effect - 100/2800

3 Level 4 Reptile-Type monsters

Increase this monster's ATK by half the combined ATK of its Xyz Materials. Once per turn, during your first Main Phase, you can target 1 monster on the field with at least 1 Spore Counter on it: Attach it to this monster as Xyz Material. If this monster would be destroyed: you can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card to negate the destruction, and place 1 Spore Counter on all monsters your opponent controls. Monsters lose 500 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on them. If this monster is destroyed by your opponent's card effect, you can Special Summon 1 "Imai, Deity of the Fungal Serpents" from your Extra Deck, using this card as Xyz Material.

Exitialis, Royal Heir to the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Rank 5 - Reptile/Xyz/Effect - 2000/900

3 Level 5 EARTH monsters

You can Xyz Summon this monster from your Extra Deck using 1 "Fungal Serpents" Xyz monster as Material (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card. You can only Summon 1 "Exitialis, Royal Heir to the Fungal Serpents" this way per turn). This monster gains ATK equal to the DEF of its Xyz Materials, and vice versa. If your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls. Monsters with Spore Counters on them cannot activate their effects, also they lose 400 ATK per Spore Counter. You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Add 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Deck to your hand, and if you do, place 1 Spore Counter on each monster your opponent controls whose current ATK is less than the added monster's original ATK. If this monster with no Xyz Materials is sent to the Graveyard, you can shuffle 1 "Fungal Serpents" card from your Graveyard into the Deck: The next card or effect your opponent activates is negated, and when you do, place 3 Spore Counters on a random monster your opponent controls.

Imai, Deity of the Fungal Serpents

EARTH - Rank 8 - Reptile/Xyz/Effect - 0/2900

3 Level 8 Reptile-Type monsters

This monster with a "Fungal Serpents" monster attached as Xyz Material cannot be destroyed or targeted by your opponent's card effects. This monster gains ATK equal to the combined ATK of its attached Xyz Materials. This monster gains 300 ATK and DEF for each Spore Counter on the field. If a monster with Spore Counters would leave the field, attach it to this card as Xyz Material. Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card: Your opponent must banish 1 card from their hand, and if they do, place 2 Spore Counters on all face-up monsters your opponent controls. Monsters lose 800 ATK for each Spore Counter on them.

Damp Den of the Fungal Serpents

Field Spell

Once per turn, you can add 1 EARTH monster with 2900 combined ATK and DEF from your Deck to your hand. Once per turn: If your opponent controls the monster on the field with the lowest ATK, you can Special Summon 1 Reptile-Type monster with 2900 combined ATK and DEF from your hand or Deck. During each of your End Phases, place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls. Your opponent cannot Set monsters, or flip face-up cards they control face-down. If this card is destroyed, you can Special Summon 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Graveyard.

Lure of the Fungal Serpents

Normal Spell

Add 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Deck to your hand. If you control a face-up "Fungal Serpents" Xyz monster when this card is activated, you can add 1 additional "Fungal Serpents" card from your Deck to your hand. You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Add 1 EARTH Reptile-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate each effect of "Lure of the Fungal Serpents" once per turn.

Call of the Fungal Serpents

Normal Spell

Add 1 "Fungal Serpent" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand, except "Call of the Fungal Serpents". You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Special Summon 1 Reptile-Type monster from your Graveyard whose combined ATK and DEF equal 2900.

Fungal Serpents' Reinfestation

Quick-Play Spell

Pay 500 Life Points: Special Summon a number of "Fungal Serpents" monsters from your Graveyard up to the number of monsters your opponent controls with Spore Counters on them. You cannot activate this card if you control a "Fungal Serpents" monster.

Fungal Serpents' Hunting Grounds

Continuous Spell

Once per turn, when a "Fungal Serpents" monster is Summoned: draw 1 card. If this card is destroyed, place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls.

Fungal Serpents' Prey Snare

Continuous Spell

If a "Fungal Serpents" monster is Summoned: place 1 Spore Counter on a random monster your opponent controls. If this card is destroyed: add 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your Graveyard to your hand.

Infestation of the Fungal Serpents

Continuous Spell

If you activate the effect of a "Fungal Serpents" monster, you can Special Summon 1 "Fungal Serpents" monster from your hand. If you control a "Fungal Serpents" monster, you can Special Summon 1 Reptile-Type monster from your Graveyard with 2900 combined ATK and DEF. You can only activate each effect of "Infestation of the Fungal Serpents" per turn.

Rising Humidity

Normal Trap

Until the End Phase of this turn, all "Fungal Serpents" monsters gain 100 ATK and DEF for every Spore Counter on the field. If this Set card is destroyed: place 1 Spore Counter on all face-up monsters your opponent controls.

Dangerous Decomposition

Normal Trap

Activate this card only when a monster with 2 or more Spore Counters on it is destroyed. Destroy 1 Set card your opponent controls: Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect.

Rot Damage

Continuous Trap

Pay 1000 Life Points. All monsters with 3 or more Spore Counters on them cannot be Tributed, or used as Material for the Special Summon of a monster from your Extra Deck. If, during your Standby Phase, you control no face-up "Fungal Serpents" monsters, destroy this card.

REVAMP::

Spore Burst

Counter Trap

When a monster with 2 or Spore Counters on it is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can place Spore Counters on face-up monsters your opponent controls equal to the number of Spore Counters that were on the destroyed monster.

Unstoppable Infestation

Continuous Spell

If a monster's ATK is reduced to 0 by the effect of a "Fungal Serpents" monster you control: Destroy it. If your opponent does not control a face-up monster with 1 or more Spore Counters on it: Destroy this card.

Nowhere near as big as my usual Sets: I went for simplicity here.

Well, I can't say this archetype lacks counter generation, that's for sure. Personally, I think "Prey Snare" can do away with the once per turn restriction since it is much slower than the rest of the Deck otherwise.

Overall, these guys remind me of the Venom monsters and they hold a similar playstyle. However, these cards can be a lot more potent simply because of their average (vs the Venom's less-than-average) stats, which can only be an improvement.

To get the most mileage out of the existing Reptile monster support, I would also recommend making at least one of the Main Deck monsters have 0 DEF (for Masked Chameleon > Synchro/King of Feral Imps plays).

Sets that center around counter generation are always a bit trickier than others because it is a mechanic that takes a lot of commitment. And as soon as your opponent summons a new monster, you gotta start all over by putting counters on it. Fortunately, you've created a set that is able to get counters out at a fairly quick pace. However, these cards will still suffer from the fact that no matter how quickly you get those counters on the field your opponent has a chance to get out fresh monsters each turn. As such, I think there are a few types of cards that could be added to the set.

Spore Burst

Counter Trap Card

When a monster with 2 or Spore Counters on it is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: You can place Spore Counters on face-up monsters your opponent controls equal to the number of Spore Counters that were on the destroyed monster.

Unstoppable Infestation

Continuous Spell Card

If a monster's ATK is reduced to 0 by the effect of a "Fungal Serpents" monster you control: Destroy it. If your opponent does not control a face-up monster with 1 or more Spore Counters on it: Destroy this card.

Spore Burst may not be necessary on account of Viper. Also, if you are looking for another snake to make another monster. The Cobra comes to mind

While I agree that Spore Burst is borderline unnecessary, sometimes you just won't have Viper out, or it's something you don't want to attack with Viper. As such, Added!

Unstoppable Infection is great, and could potentially be run by people who dislike Constrictor's gimmick of making all your opponent's monsters have 0 ATK and indestructible for damage bleed. Added!

Yeah, the Cobra and Asp are going to be added to the set eventually, but I'm trying to tweak what they could be.

Regarding the thing about needing to put more Counters on anything your opponent Summons, Mamba auto-places 2 on everything your opponent Summons. It's best to think of everything as being 600 Points weaker.

Oh, and any more Xyz monsters should be named after deadly fungi instead of snakes, to go off of Death Cap.

The thing about Asp is that 2900 ATK seems like a lot of ATK for a level 6 monster. In fact, there are only two level(or rather Rank 6) monsters that have 2900 or more ATK and that is because they are Xyz Monsters that are pretty difficult to get out. I would definitely suggest either lowering that monster's ATK or raising it's level. 

Few things

• Compared to what's out currently this is not the fastest archetype, but when it comes to shear force, with the decent attack stat of most of the monsters and the attack drain with the counters you can beat down your opponent easily.
  • When I saw reptiles with counters it reminded me of Aliens but the attack drain and the snake theme reminds me of the Venom archetype. It is a nice marriage of both
  • The boss monster seems more like Cyber Dragon Infinity then Relinquished

You can easily make it so your opponents monsters have 0 Attack and Defense, would recommend adding one with piercing damage to prevent stalling in defense position. 

-That was kinda the point. Thanks though!

-I have no idea how Aliens worked, so I'll take your word for it.

-That was the best way I could do Relinquished in Xyz format without making it utterly broken. If you have suggestions to make it more Relinquished-like, I'm willing to take them.

I'm gonna need another variety of snake. Give me time.

. . . Totally forgot about Copperheads.

Each snake is themed as to what they did best- Pythons breed explosively quickly by large snake standards, and sometimes pretend to be nonthreatening to lull prey into a false sense of security, as an example. With that in mind, I was trying to figure what a rattler could conceivably do among the Fungal Serpents. It's not particularly strong (so it might actually have less ATK than Constrictor), there aren't any mythological references I can make, they are only special because they outright warn potential predators that they're dangerous.

Given that Copperheads have impressive bite force among venomous snakes, I could give it piercing.

Archived