Puzzle Piece [16 cards]

Yemachu

Some of you might know the "Archtype Game" somewhere around these forums. These cards are designed after the following specifications as they appeared in that game.

Puzzle Piece

An archetype of LIGHT Rock-type monsters with 0 ATK. They focus on specific monster placement with beneficial effects for adjacent monsters. They specialize in a banish deck-out with the effects getting more powerful with more pieces on the field. They also have a continuous spell that adds pieces when a "Puzzle Piece" monster is sent to the Graveyard.

The low ATK might be a bit of a hindrance, but given they focus on an alternate win condition, this might not matter much. As for the specific monster placement, I have chosen to make them Normal Monsters if they are in the wrong column or Graveyard. As a result, you have some niche options to support the archtype. The 'beneficial' effects for cards in adjacent monster zones, has been interpreted loosely; ranging from using them as costs or summoning monsters in those Monster Zones to protecting them.

The artworks on the cards were made by myself. If you'd like to use them foryour cards, let me know.

k9c0zp.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 1"

Attribute: LIGHT

Level: 2

Type: Rock / Tuner / Effect

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 1 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. When a card(s) would be banished from your opponent's Deck by the effect of a "Puzzle Piece" monster in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, you can banish 1 card from your opponent's Extra Deck (at random) instead. During your End Phase: Banish 2 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

ATK: 0

DEF: 1700

14ybjhz.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 2"

Level: 3

Type: Rock / Effect

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 2 or 3 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. You can shuffle 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card into the Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster from your Deck with a different name from the returned monster in that Monster Zone. You can only use this effect of "Puzzle Piece 2" once per turn. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

DEF: 1900

se6aer.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 3"

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 3 or 4 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. "Puzzle Piece" monsters you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card are unaffected by your opponent's card effects that do not target it. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

24vobqg.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 4"

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 5 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. Any effect damage you would take is lowered by the total DEF of all "Puzzle Piece" monsters you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card. During your End Phase: Banish 2 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

2u9s7wi.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 5"

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 1 or 2 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. You can Special Summon 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster from your hand in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card. You can only use this effect of "Puzzle Piece 5" once per turn. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

sowr61.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 6"

Level: 4

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 2 or 3 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. If a "Puzzle Piece" monster(s) you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card is destroyed by an opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect): You can banish 1 card from your opponent's hand (at random). During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

DEF: 2100

2rrpdv9.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 7"

Level: 4

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 3 or 4 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. If a "Puzzle Piece" monster(s) you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card is destroyed by an opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect): You can target 1 card your opponent controls; banish it. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

DEF: 2100

av4pl5.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 8"

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 4 or 5 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. You can target 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card. You can only use this effect of "Puzzle Piece 8" once per turn. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

2ql4cpv.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 9"

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 1 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. Any battle damage you would take is lowered by the total DEF of all "Puzzle Piece" monsters you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card. During your End Phase: Banish 2 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

sxp1e9.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 10"

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. "Puzzle Piece" monsters you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card are unaffected by your opponent's card effects that target it. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

2lc1o50.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 11"

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. You can shuffle 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster you control a Monster Zone adjacent to this card into the deck, and if you do, add 1 "Puzzle Piece" card from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand with a different name from the returned monster. You can only activate this effect of "Puzzle Piece 11" once per turn. During your End Phase: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

2mnlw88.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece 12"

Monster Effect: This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the Graveyard. If this card is in your Monster Zone 5 (counting from your left), it becomes an effect monster with these effects.

● When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can change its Battle Position. When a card(s) would be banished from your opponent's Deck by the effect of a "Puzzle Piece" monster in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card: You can target that many cards in your opponent's Graveyard instead; banish those targets. During your End Phase: Banish 2 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

21ln39h.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece Wildcard"

Level: 5

Type: Rock / Synchro / Effect

Monster Effect: 1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

If there is a monster in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. "Puzzle Piece" monsters you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card become treated as Effect Monsters, and gain their effects. During your End Phase: Banish 2 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck. For each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control in a Monster Zone adjacent to this card, banish 1 additional card.

DEF: 2500

35d5m35.png
Name: "Missing Puzzle Piece"

Attribute: SPELL

Type: Continuous

Effect: Once per turn, if a "Puzzle Piece" monster(s) in your possession is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster from your Deck to your hand with a different name from all face-up "Puzzle Piece" monsters you control and in your Graveyard. If this card you control is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can banish 1 card from the top of their Deck for each "Puzzle Piece" monster with a different name in your Graveyard. You can only control 1 face-up "Missing Puzzle Piece".

8wi39j.png
Name: "Peculiar Puzzle Piece Placement"

Attribute: SPELL

Type: Continuous

Effect: Once per turn: You can target 1 "Puzzle Piece" monster that is treated as a Normal Monster; until the end of your opponent's next turn, it becomes treated as an Effect Monster and gains its effects (even if this card leaves the field). If this card you control is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can banish 2 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck for each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control.

jfkos9.png
Name: "Puzzle Piece Counter"

Attribute: TRAP

Type: Counter

Effect: When a Spell/Trap Card or effect is activated: Banish 1 card from the top of your opponent's Deck for each "Puzzle Piece" monster you control (if any), regardless, if your opponent has a banished card with the same name as that card, negate the activation and banish it. If this card you control is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can banish 4 cards from the top of their Deck.

Let me know what your thoughts are on the archtype.

I really like these! They've got a pair of interesting gimmicks, and you've handled the prompt very well. I am concerned that the milling may be a bit overpowered, since if you have all 5 zones filled (which isn't easy to do, but it could be done rather easily), you would banish at least 30 cards from your opponent's deck/graveyard/extra deck/whichever (unless my math is wrong). Maybe make them banish 1 card per End Phase, which is increased to 2 when you control another Puzzle Piece? That way you still mill a decent bit of their deck without it being more than half their deck.

Another thing is that some pieces are Tuners. Unless you're planning on adding a Synchro boss, that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd give you a suggestion for one, but I'm technically supposed to be studying right now. Overall, though, these are pretty well-done!

One last thing; I like the art. Did you do it yourself?

I really like these! They've got a pair of interesting gimmicks, and you've handled the prompt very well. I am concerned that the milling may be a bit overpowered, since if you have all 5 zones filled (which isn't easy to do, but it could be done rather easily), you would banish at least 30 cards from your opponent's deck/graveyard/extra deck/whichever (unless my math is wrong). Maybe make them banish 1 card per End Phase, which is increased to 2 when you control another Puzzle Piece? That way you still mill a decent bit of their deck without it being more than half their deck.

Assuming you control 5 copies of the various tuners with their effects being applied (due to "Peculiar Puzzle Piece Placement" for example), you can banish 18 cards at max. While still quite a lot, this is rather situational. In a more likely scenario where all monsters you control have their effects, you will probably banish 13~15 cards. You might have missed the part where the monsters needed to be in a Monster Zone adjacent to it. Thereby increasing the amount of cards banished by up to 2; rather than up to 4. Then there is still the point of getting 5 of them on the field consistantly...

Though not applicable on this archtype, I agree that milling 30 cards a turn (albeit situational) is a tad too strong.

Another thing is that some pieces are Tuners. Unless you're planning on adding a Synchro boss, that doesn't make a lot of sense. I'd give you a suggestion for one, but I'm technically supposed to be studying right now. Overall, though, these are pretty well-done!

The same statement could be applied to some existing Yu-Gi-Oh! archtypes; they have tuners, but don't have an in-archtype Synchro Monster (or a monster that specifically lists the tuner), yet. "The Agent", "Shaddoll", "Infernoid", "Galaxy", and "Symphonic Warrior" (though they are supposed to be generic I suppose). But that does not really answer it. I wanted give them access to the Synchro toolbox, since their levels might sometimes get in the way of Xyz Summoning (though not getting a Tuner on the field results in a similar problem). Furthermore, I had an idea for an effect their boss might have, but not for a name or artwork... So yeah. Other than that, the status of Tuner is quite random.

One last thing; I like the art. Did you do it yourself?

The last line of text before the list of cards would imply so. In other words: Yes, I did make these artworks.

Assuming you control 5 copies of the various tuners with their effects being applied (due to "Peculiar Puzzle Piece Placement" for example), you can banish 18 cards at max. While still quite a lot, this is rather situational. In a more likely scenario where all monsters you control have their effects, you will probably banish 13~15 cards. You might have missed the part where the monsters needed to be in a Monster Zone adjacent to it. Thereby increasing the amount of cards banished by up to 2; rather than up to 4. Then there is still the point of getting 5 of them on the field consistently...

Ah, OK. From a balance viewpoint, that makes them much better.

The same statement could be applied to some existing Yu-Gi-Oh! archtypes; they have tuners, but don't have an in-archtype Synchro Monster (or a monster that specifically lists the tuner), yet. "The Agent", "Shaddoll", "Infernoid", "Galaxy", and "Symphonic Warrior" (though they are supposed to be generic I suppose). But that does not really answer it. I wanted give them access to the Synchro toolbox, since their levels might sometimes get in the way of Xyz Summoning (though not getting a Tuner on the field results in a similar problem). Furthermore, I had an idea for an effect their boss might have, but not for a name or artwork... So yeah. Other than that, the status of Tuner is quite random.

Fair enough.

I'd suggest another card, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Also, would you mind reviewing my Funereal Flowers? Nobody's reviewed them yet.

This has to be one of my favourite decks I've seen. I love the unique idea of monsters effects activating from specific zones. Depending on spell and trap card support, I think the milling power is a little strong. I personally would lower the mill capabilities but have fairly good search abilities. Obviously that's your choice. Regardless, I still love the deck so far. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Added 2 new cards:

• "Puzzle Piece Wildcard": A generic Synchro monster that is protected against destruction if its adjacent to another monster. It also functions as some sort of "Superalloy Beast Raptinus" for its archtype.
  • "Puzzle Piece Counter": Capable of countering basically any effect at virtually no cost.. it however isn't very reliable. Useful against cards like "Breakthrough Skill" and "Galaxy Cyclone".

Archived