Darj

El Shaddoll Jubileera
Attribute: WIND
Type: Psychic/Fusion/Effect
Level: 6
ATK: 2600
DEF: 400
1 "Shaddoll" monster + 1 WIND monster
Must first be Fusion Summoned. Cards cannot be banished. If a "Shaddoll" monster you control battles a Special Summoned monster, it is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of the Damage Step. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Shaddoll" Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Appearance: Shaddollified Ritual Beast Ulti-Apelio

I don't think I need to elaborate on how the WIND El Shaddoll, Wendigo, isn't as useful, if not outright useless. So I had this idea of making a different WIND El Shaddoll with an actually good effect, and randomly thought: what if Shaddoll had taken Lara instead of Wen? And this is the result.

The first effect is to counter opposing Ritual Beasts, in a similar way to how Anomalilith/Anoyatyllis messes with Nekroz; it can also help in the Nekroz matchup, preventing Trishulas and the Ritual Spell effects. Of course, it also stops random Dimension Prisons and Karma Cuts, and counters banishing floodgates (Macro, Dark Law, etc.).

The second effect not only is basically an Armades against Special Summoned monsters, but also could be seen as an reverse Ulti-Apelio effect: instead of protecting itself, it stops everything else.  EDIT: Now it's a different take on Ulti-Apelio's effect that also applies on fellow Shaddolls.

Then, 2600 ATK should be a good number for beating, and more useful than Wendigo's 200/2800 stats.

Trivia:

The name comes from the combination of Jubilees (from the Book of Jubilees) + Lara

Thoughts?

I forget, how do Shaddolls get WIND? Besides Core/Nephe.

And first effect would probably screw over decks that try to use Dank Law to control, and then outright kill Psychic/Kozmo/Ritual Beasts/etc decks that really need banishing.

Kozmos literally have like no outs I can imagine to this if you get this out before they can get something out, because they can't drop Honest, they have no other means of ATK buff, and they can't use Juragedo either, and they can't banish to SS.

This seems pretty good though, I'd run it if I could figure out some way to make Wind decently easily.

The Lock effect seems stupid OP against certain Decks, given how Banishing has been present on deck mechanics nowadays.

If you're intending to give Dolls another Trish out, maybe make a more Necrovalley-ish approach by making it prevent only cards in the Graveyard(s) from being banished.

Still superior to Wendigo in all ways. The Armades effect is damn useful in a format where everything floats. Good enough to warrant at least 1 copy of this in the Extra, even if your opponent doesn't run banish cards.

The Lock effect seems stupid OP against certain Decks, given how Banishing has been present on deck mechanics nowadays.

If you're intending to give Dolls another Trish out, maybe make a more Necrovalley-ish approach by making it prevent only cards in the Graveyard(s) from being banished.

Well, that was the idea: to be a hard counter against a deck, specifically Ritual Beasts, in the same way Anoyatyllis hard-counters Nekroz. It's intended to be more of a RB out than a Nekroz out, although it conveniently helps against Nekroz, Dark Law, Kozmos, etc.

I forget, how do Shaddolls get WIND? Besides Core/Nephe.

There aren't many good WIND cards/engines to tech, really; you could try with Reborn Tengus, or arrange an engine with Harpies or Yosenjus. Which is why I feel the card can get away with such oppressive floodgate effect: you would have to either go out of the way and tech some awkward WINDs, or rely on Core/Nephe for access to this card.

Thinking about it, if necessary I could go for a bounce/spin lock instead, to water down the floodgate effect while still countering the RB Fusions, in addition to Yosenjus and random compulses, Castels, Nekroz Brionacs, Carriers, etc.

Problem with this is that it goes against the very vein of El-Shaddoll design.

They were intentionally designed to be very passive, to mitigate making them on a +X at times or +0 at worst, with the exception of Construct, which this is designed similarly to.

Construct was designed to be their only offensive prescence, as to give a reason to play the deck without giving them too many aggro bosses.

The other 5 were designed to be passive answers to the opponent that were good enough for what they did. Sure, Wendigo is an exception to this, but it just doesn't make flavorful sense to give them another boss that is offensive.

Construct is Tierra's main body, and her effect represents her making her move, as does her art.  Her attribute and archetype's main attribute combine to reveal the chaos she creates with this. Her appearance is a mockery of the goddess Sombres (Additionally, "El-Shaddoll"'s Japanese text can be read as "Contact with the Copy of God"), and probably lulled people into a false sense of security.

She appeared suddenly, and it was difficult for people to stop her. However, her extra bodies were used to control the masses that would attack her main body, to keep them at bay.

At first, she had Midrash/Winda and Grystal. The latter was burned as a sacrifice to unleash the Qli and power them with the 10 Gem-Knight Cores. She then took over Killer/Towers, and began the process of freeing the Infernoids. The former was then used to fuel one of many decatrons (not the monster, the actual machines on their backs that power the Infernoids), along with Qliphort Scout, to unleash the Infernoids, her personal soldiers.

Then she captured Wen. Wendigo was a replacement body she could use to fend her opposition off, after losing both Grystal and Winda to being fuel. And as soon as Wen was rescued... Trishula(Shurit) charged in and kicked the sheet out of Shekhinaga/Construct. She was losing badly until she summoned Lilith to save her from the ice, and fused with Lilith, apparently managing to defeat Trishula (and become Anoyatyllis), only to be destroyed by the Dragunity's equivalent of Longinus.

Shekhinaga and Anoyatyllis both appear to have been born out of attempts to hold their enemies off, as well.

Shekhinaga was formed as a means to defeat Stellarknight Constellar Diamond, most likely. While Diamond came the set after Shekhinaga, Infernoid Onuncu/Nehemoth was apparently sent out to defeat Diamond, and Shekhinaga can also help against Diamond. Both facets imply that she needed an answer to the true goddess when she became Shekhinaga, and she probably named herself such to show that she transcended BOTH gods.

Then Anoyatyllis was formed to answer Shurit and the Nekroz.

And when we observe the role the non-Construct El-Shaddolls had, we see that this is why Wen/Petalphin was chosen, in addition to the Ainu reading of her name being "Evil". Pink Dolphin offered a passive card to continue the trend with, while Apelio offered sheer offense, Kannahawk offered speed, and Rampengu had nothing.

And notice something? Construct does the same as Apelio and Kannahawk, in a sense.

I don't think it's a broken card or anything, but the flavor design is really lacking, as it doesn't suit what the El-Shaddolls (bar Tierra) are, at all.

Well, what can I say? I didn't go that deep with the flavor of El Shaddolls and this card, plus after thinking on the "what if Lara had been taken instead?" concept, I figured Shaddolls would welcome another offensive Fusion.

Besides, in my defense, the card may be not be as flavorful, but think of it as a monster from an alternate/parallel DT universe in which Shaddoll/Tierra chose Lara over Wen to make an offensive push with a non-Construct El Shaddoll for once, rather than protecting themselves as the others did.

I feel that the card is, on top of being useful, very flavourful. Though as pointed out, not completely. 

In additional to what Robin said, consider making the first effect apply to both players. Anoyatyllis and Winda do. The aggressive nature of the second effect can easily be changed to something else, yet still remain some resemblance to Ulti-Apelio. Or alternatively, remove it altogether as the first effect is already sufficiently powerful for a single El Shaddoll monster. All the El Shaddolls only have 1 effect on top of their common secondary effects anyway, except Construct and Winda.

Well, that was the idea: to be a hard counter against a deck, specifically Ritual Beasts, in the same way Anoyatyllis hard-counters Nekroz. It's intended to be more of a RB out than a Nekroz out, although it conveniently helps against Nekroz, Dark Law, Kozmos, etc.

Well do the ritual beasts not have a summon condition, rather than an effect to summon themselves ?

You can say it is a try to stop floodgates like dark law, however you make would then overwrite them with another (one-sided at that) floodgate.

Preventing the opponent from banishing his own cards with effects is yet another try to oppress the opponent without risking anything, at least make it two-sided, the second effect is completely unneeded and gives this monster too much power, a dimensional wall for effect (which should apply to both players) is enough to make this card worth playing.

You have a point there: the Ritual Beast fusions banish by summoning condition, not an effect. I guess I could turn this into a full Iron Wall, preventing banishments altogether.

And yeah, turning it 2-sided makes sense; shaddoll don't banish as often to be harmed by this card anyway, except for techs such as BLS, damage juggler, etc.

As for removing the other effect, I'm still hesitant because it actually provides flavor as the anti special summon effect thay all el shaddoll carry. If I take it out I wouldn't know which anti special summons effect go for that still remains related to Lara or Apelio... except for a blatant Ulti-Apelio effect that only applies when battling Special Summoned monsters, but that would be awfully uncreative. Hmm... perhaps going for an Apelio-ish ATK boost for each special summoned monster the opponent controls? however, it would still be an offensive effect, rather than a defensive one.

Another option is the spin/bounce lock, which would have a lesser impact than an iron wall effect, but keep this second effect.

EDIT:

I figured it out. The second effect will be an Ulti-Apelio-ish effect that makes a Shaddoll monster unaffected by opponent's card effects when battling a Special Summoned monster.

Archived